I Say Thee Neigh: Battlefield 1 Post-Beta Balance Tweak

Battlefield 1 [official site] developers DICE have announced a few tweaks and changes they’re making to their World War 1 FPS following its open beta test earlier this month. Sorry, jockeys – the news isn’t good. Along with stripping horses of their adamantium plating, they’re changing scoring in Conquest mode and fiddling with more. Oh and hey, if you didn’t get to play in the open beta to discover how it runs on your PC, hey, DICE have finalised the system requirements now.

At launch, Conquest’s scores will be affected by both capturing objectives and shooting men, lead world designer Daniel Berlin has explained in a blog post. They’re fiddling with Rush mode too, with Berlin saying “we are aiming to make it the best Rush experience to date”, but he doesn’t get into any specific changes.

As for shooty balance, he continues:

“We’re also looking into balancing other elements, including the weapons and vehicles. The Light Tank, which is a bit too effective in the Open Beta, will definitely receive some work, and we agree that Horses can take a few too many rounds at the moment. We’ve also learned through the Beta that you guys need more tools to deal with vehicles earlier, which we’ll definitely look into (including a Gadget for the Support class which should help neutralize powerful vehicles).”

Commiserations to all the pretty little horses.

As for system requirements, point yourself in this direction my son.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. BobbyDylan says:

#ConquestLivesMatter!!

2. Cinek says:

Looks like a good changes. Though changes to the light tanks are quite funny – yes, they were OP in the game, but it’s also a nice illustration why Renault FT became the sketch for all the future tanks instead of a landships.

3. sosolidshoe says:

Welp, looks like DICE are still determined not to bother optimising Frostbite’s awful CPU usage – rather than trying to fix the CPU-related death-crashes from the Beta they’re just picking a high min requirement and pretending they don’t exist.

PoulWrist says:

Must be some rare issues, because my i5 3570k from 4+ years ago ran the game just fine with my similarly 4+ year old 680 at medium details at 1440p. Constant 60fps or more…

• Cinek says:

That’s still new. I run it with i7 920, CPU that’s over 7 years old now, and had stable 60 FPS v-synch at ultra details, 1080p.

• sosolidshoe says:

Then your i5 3570K is magic, because with my i5 3570K(both stock and with my normal 4.2GHz overclock) in tandem with a brand shiny new 1080(using the game-ready driver for the beta, before anyone tries that pish) the game shat its pants and locked up my entire PC every time I tried to load into a match requiring a hard reset, and the beta tech support forum was rife with people experiencing similar crashes and lockups.

Frostbite has been having issues with CPUs ever since the BF3 version.

• Kamikaze-X says:

a hard lock up requiring a restart on loading graphic intensive loads is very unlikely to be a ‘CPU’ issue, and more likely a driver, like the motherboard chipset or audio chipset, issue. one thing many people do is use the on-board audio, but leave the HDMI audio driver from the gpu installed which often cause issues like this.

• BobbyDylan says:

Ouch didn’t notice that till you pointed it out. A 6th Gen i5 as minimum? Jesus.

Grizzly says:

Also, a rather old gen amd cpu as equivalent.

My 3rd gen I5 handled it fine without any overclocks or anything. It’s a bit weird, they could just say “Second generation i5 or up” as that would cover all the bases.

• JPRacer77Qc says:

I have an old stock i5-3450, 16GB RAM with a GTX 970 and had no problem @1440. Considering the graphics quality with 64 players and almost no slowdown I think the engine is pretty well optimized. I was even surprised how smooth it was.

• OmNomNom says:

BF CPU usage has always been low for me, BF4 right now hits about 15%

• SuicideKing says:

Frostbite’s CPU usage efficiency is fine – all the benchmarks I’ve seen since the BF3 days have indicated that a Core i3 is all you need – at least for single player.

These system requirements are bollocks though – the i5 is probably the fastest in all those CPUs listed, when it comes to gaming (the listed i7 is slightly older, and the AMDs aren’t faster than i3s for the intended purpose).

4. Monggerel says:

Eh, those are just picturebook horses anyway.

5. Valkyr says:

Berlin saying “we are aiming to make it the best Rush experience to date”

I thought Blitzkrieg was in WW2

6. Parrilla says:

I just hope they keep the hitboxes for when you’re using sabre on horse the same. They seemed pretty generous in the beta but it does make it fun. I suppose if they reduce horse health it would balance it out more too.

Comment on this story