Get Gogged: Oculus Rift Hits European Retail Today

Mate, no wonder cybergoggles didn’t bring an overnight revolution: they weren’t in the shops here. Digital distribution is great for games but you can’t download goggles, can you? Think it through, yeah? No one’s going to pay a few hundred quid for an e-mail with a small picture of a black plastic box. What kind of mug do they take us for?

At long last, Oculus Rift is now officially in Europe as something you can touch with your face. The physical edition is now in shops in boxes, and a fair few places are hosting demos so you can try jacking your face in.

In the UK, Rift will be sold in John Lewis, PCWorld, Game, and Harrods – the shop tourists visit to buy a bottle of milk so they can get a posh bag. Riftgoggs are also sold on their websites (‘cept Harrods, because they’re classy) and Amazon UK too but, uh, why would you buy digigoggs when we have real ones now?

Here, check Oculus’s listings to see where they’ll be sold across Europe. The Canadian retail release was supposed to be today too but nnnope.

£549.00 seems hugely expensive for something that’s still a novelty – I’d wait a few years – but maybe a little novelty is what you need. Here’s a money-saving tip from me: try sleeping on the other side of your bed; it is like a mini holiday every night.

If you fancy trying some goggs, head over here to find out which shops are hosting demos and book yourself in for an appointment. Like an eye test, but testing the world rather than your peepers.

From this site

1. Emohawk says:

I might just suggest to the wife tonight we swap sides.

2. Aerothorn says:

I am definitely on the “waiting for gen 2” train. Particularly excited for Vive 2 since I have ended up with an apartment with a big square empty space that would be perfect for room VR.

• Maxheadroom says:

Yup, me too.
      Not played with the current Consumer Release version but apparently that ‘screen door’ effect is still a thing, and there’s still not much in the way of games that aren’t just glorified tech demos.

• Jediben says:

Gen 3 for me, to coincide with the departure from the EU.

• Sakkura says:

The screen door effect is there, but minimal on the Rift at least.

The resolution is just pretty low.

3. Drib says:

I’d be more likely to shovel over 800 American Dollars for a VR set if I saw anything out other than shameless shovelware. It’s like back at the Wii release when every game was just “uh… swing the remote around”.

When do we get games that actually use VR competently?

• Det. Bullock says:

There are flight simulators, space simulators and driving games that aren’t shovelware and use VR.
      Which is telling really, VR is essentially is fancier and more awesome headtracking when you get down to it and good joysticks and steering wheels are made to be used without looking at them.

modzero says:

I just need that fancy head tracking to come without screen door effect.

It does help that by that time I’ll get a good enough GPU in a cereal box.

• fabronaut says:

Yeah, the screen door effect is certainly still noticeable, even with my crap eyesight.

I tried a Vive last week (which has the same resolution as the Oculus IIRC?), and I will say that it’s more noticeable in some games than others. (Specifically, a team-oriented FPS I played, which… ouch, my eyes, the squinting! Still, it was a very cool concept.) It definitely tempered my expectations regarding the medium, though. The coolest thing I tried was Google Tilt Brush, which just made me wish I wasn’t entirely incompetent regarding artistic expression.

I think applications that focus more on being experiences with careful art design to gloss over the limitations do a very good job of sidestepping the issue. I’ll still wait for the second generation commercial products. Possibly with embedded wireless, as the cables trailing off the back are okay, but do suck a bit for the “room scale” experiences at times.

Plus it won’t hurt that raw computing power will have come a long way by then (two to five years from now?)

• Shuck says:

“When do we get games that actually use VR competently?”
      When there are enough VR users such that you can have sales sufficient to pay for the development of VR games. Which isn’t happening because of, among other things, a lack of VR games. But those aren’t going to show up until there’s enough users to support the development…

• P.Funk says:

Well unfortunately it seems a rather tall order to ask a large segment of the population to just fork over more than 500 Euros as a future investment in games to come, effectively buying a ticket for a trip on train they haven’t even designed yet.

This makes me think of a lot of those classic great ideas that we hear about usually with a line like “This great idea was 30 years ahead of its time. Why did it fail?” and it turns out the cost to use it was about 20 times higher than when it was later successful due to advances in production and technology.

• ChrisGWaine says:

Besides the chicken and egg issue with the customer base, there’s also just the time it normally takes to develop substantial games.

• Don Reba says:

If only there was a game development studio backing one of the headsets.

• Sakkura says:

They’re here already, in limited numbers. Damaged Core, Chronos, Lucky’s Tale, and all the space and racing games.

4. natendi says:

I don’t want a Rift, I want room service.

5. Vermintide says:

Well it isn’t going to get far unless that price comes down. Which is a shame, because for the first time it looks like a fun, viable way to play games.

If you’re asking £550 quid for it, that’s as much as a decently powerful gaming PC, a console and a half, alone. So you’re not going to have a big user base to start with, which is going to severely limit the development of decent games. After all, people are only going to develop games for the thing if there’s a big enough market to sell it to.

Looks like it’ll stay as one of those niche product that exist just so Youtubers can awkwardly retrofit support into old horror games and post reaction videos.

• geldonyetich says:

It sure won’t catch on with the masses when you have to pay the better part of a month’s rent to get one…

…but there’s the possibility these might be replacing monitors, in which case you’d be getting something that may last you for quite awhile.

Admittedly, it’s dicey to try to predict the future. Could be that hololens or full on holographic projectors are the monitors of the future, and what then?

Personally, I’m not sure where I’d even safely store hardware like this when kids and cats are a household threat.

• Dritz says:

I would say the current generation of VR is definitely *not* going to replace monitors. Besides the fact that the low resolution makes small text quite difficult to read, that “screen door effect” everyone is talking about is still an issue, and most pronounced when looking at generally the same place for a while – for example, when using your VR headset to virtualize your desktop computer, or to watch a movie on a giant virtual screen. In games, it’s much less noticible and gets forgotten immediately, and those are an outstanding and mind-blowing application of the hardware already, but it really just isn’t ready to be a monitor replacement, unfortunately.

• Sakkura says:

The Playstation VR is coming out soon at a lower price, which should drive VR adoption. And eventually Oculus etc. will release cheaper VR headsets for PC too.

And Oculus has been giving a lot of money to game devs to get content. Sony’s obviously doing the same now.

6. Pogs says:

The problem I have is that most games at the moment you need to see a keyboard/controller/joystick to play them. So how do VR headsets get over this? Surely you will need kit far and beyond just a VR head set to make VR any good. So £550 quid for part of the what you really need. No thanks.

• horrorgasm says:

Can you not use a controller/keyboard without looking at it? Aww.

• Don Reba says:

If you have not learned to touch type yet, getting VR goggles might help.

7. Morcane says:

Ah yes, available ‘in Europe’ …. if you live in the right country (aka Germany, UK, France).

lol right. /wave

• Heretic7 says:

Amazon UK ships in other countries too.

Mine is on its way right now and i live in the opposite site of Europe

• Sakkura says:

Well, that’s not really much of a difference. You could always get it shipped here by ordering straight from Oculus.

(except, I guess,t the countries where Amazon ships that Oculus didn’t ship to)

• Heretic7 says:

(except, I guess,t the countries where Amazon ships that Oculus didn’t ship to)

Which is the whole rest of Europe.
          So it is a HUGE difference from the previous state.

• Heretic7 says:

“(except, I guess,t the countries where Amazon ships that Oculus didn’t ship to)”

Which is the whole rest of Europe.
          So it is a HUGE difference from the previous state.

8. MrBehemoth says:

Shock horror: the only demos for the WHOLE of Scotland are in Glasgow.