Hone Your Skills With Creative Kills: Dishonored 2

Have a whale of a time with…no. These creative kills are whale-y good. Oh no no no.

I understand the appeal of playing a game like Dishonored 2 [official site] without killing a single person, I really do, but Arkane are sorely tempting my no harm, nn foul-festering-bloodfly-feeding-frenzy policy. A new video shows both Emily and Corvo using their supernatural skills to create deftly calculated carnage. There are doppelgangers, body-swaps, blink-kicks that send people flying through the air like footballs, and combinations of time manipulation, razor traps and vertical violence that make a stab to the back seem so simple as to be uncouth.

Maybe I’ll try to be as non-violent as possible after all because there is no way I’m going to be able to pull off some of these moves. I’m not even sure I fully understand precisely how the setup works on a couple of them.

One of the many wonderful things about Dishonored is that the tools it gives to the player – and I’m including everything from the weapons and powers to the basics of movement – are multi-purpose. The first game’s Blink teleportation can be used for mobility, for stealth, for retreat and for violence. Dishonored 2 looks like it’s going to add plenty more tricks and the Domino effect alone looks like it’ll open up all kinds of possibilities for pranks. Some of the pranks will be deadly.

The superpowers of the characters are such an unusual aspect of these games. Stealth is often about vulnerability, but if you were to stumble across Emily or Corvo as they scurried through the shadows, you’d probably end up getting hurled to the moon, missing a couple of limbs. The ability to transition from stealth to slaughter and back again ties into the kinetic nature of the games – stealth is often about motionless crouching, then creeping from place to place in an effort to stay concealed. Dishonored’s stealth is about movement, whether you’re darting between one location and the next while backs are turned, or creating magical chaos to put obstacles and enemies into motion.

I’d love to master all of these skills and be like the Corvo and Emily in the video, but the truth of the matter is, I’ll be perfectly happy if I can punt a few guards into the sea. The echoes of Dark Messiah are strong and pleasing.

Dishonored 2 is due on November 11th.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. KwisatzHaderach says:

Indeed, I believe so!

2. iucounu says:

You could blow whole evenings thinking of whale puns…

3. Muzman says:

Dishonoured 2 looks to keep you glued to your seat indefinitely!
    A state of Seat-ation, you might say!

4. titanomaquis says:

I’m really looking forward to this game, but I wonder if I’ll have to play it in short bursts. I can’t really handle the ultra-violence for too long. or maybe I just won’t harm anyone.

5. klops says:

I’m not really that enthousiastic about the super kill skills shown here. The chaining feels just silly and a bit too strong. Also the neat tricks that were done there worked practically like a complicated grenade. Mmh.

• titanomaquis says:

Dishonored is the type of game where it feels like you have to limit yourself sometimes. Yeah, all this stuff seems overpowered, but I appreciate the freedom to go about things mostly however I want. I probably won’t be chaing five guys together ad murdering them all at once, just because it seems more fun to me to go about it in other ways, but I love that we can do it if we want to.

• Al Bobo says:

It will be more like a mental exercise, when you try to think a most brilliant way to separate enemy’s limbs from his body.
      For example, what would happen, if you blink-kicked enemy, froze time again and blink-kicked another enemy towards him? Would the multiplied force turn them into paste? :)

gritz says:

I play non-violent, but I look forward to seeing StealthGamerBR make some incredible youtube videos out of these new kill mechanics.

Seriously, if you haven’t watched his Dishonored 1 videos, you’re missing out. The guy is a true artist when it comes to creative Dishonored murdering. Here’s his finest work, imo: link to youtube.com

7. Lord_Mordja says:

I’ll probably play stealth, no-kill as Corvo-much like I played the first Dishonored-and then full on murderific as Emily. Her powers generally seem a little more combat focused anyway.

8. Blastaz says:

Non violent play through of dishonoured where a bit of a waste given all the tricks it gave you

• Zenicetus says:

Very true, although I’m not that great at stealth, so it was fun to have the tricks when a plan eventually went south.

I worry about some of these abilities being too overpowered though. Time bending in particular, was amazingly OP in the first game when going loud.

• Det. Bullock says:

I think that non-violent play was better precisely because you had so many options that allowed you to simply go nuts with gratuitous violence, but I seem to be in the minority. :(

• ooshp says:

Agreed. A prefer half-hearted stealth – if I get spotted there’s no running or quickloading, it’s time for fun and games.

9. Ketchua says:

I hope it won’t end up like the first one – giving you all these fab ways to murder people, then pissing in your face in the end if you chose to partake in them.

• gabrielonuris says:

That’s my main complaint about this franchise; why the hell does it give you so many cool moves and death animations, if it’s going to “oblige” a certain kind of playthrough, remembering you every freaking time (even during loading screens) that “to kill is wrong, good is to be nice”.

• Josh W says:

Thank you baked potato.

I found some of the kill animations off putting personally, but the variety of killing interaction is fantastic. I’d love to see something similar with non-lethality as well, as although there’s creativity there already that’s mainly about elegant use of spacing, architecture and sound, it doesn’t have the same level of encouraging them to interact with the environment that lethality has, because for the most part they do not. For example, pickpocketing someone with Emily’s grab to lock them outside. Planting evidence then making them pay attention to it with distractions, dropping cash for them to pick up and deviate from their routes etc.

• MisterFurious says:

Yeah, that game hypocritically scolding me at the end for killing people really left a sour taste in my mouth. I only killed assassins and fanatics and other evil people trying to kill me, too. I didn’t kill any guards or civilians. I even went way out of my way to not kill innocent people and reloaded when I did and yet, at the end I got one of the “You’re a very bad person and this little girl will grow up to be a bad person because of you” endings. Screw you, game. Screw you.

10. master thief says:

Corvo being voiced by Stephen Russell is news to me. Excellent choice! Eat your heart out, Eidos!

11. Laurentius says:

I knew it. In last two years RPS constantly laments about and criticize violence in games but I knew that Dishonored will be spared of that treatment or even “hey, these super vilent kills are pretty cool. don’t ya think ?” This is ridiculous.

Aitrus says:

I thought they criticized violence in games when it was contradictory to the narrative of the character you’re playing. In Dishonored, how violent you chose to be is your narrative.

• Phasma Felis says:

I’m sorry, are you thinking of some alternate-universe version of RPS? Because RPS-Universe 1 likes violent games just as much as the next guy.

gritz says:

You must be living in some alternate universe where RPS didn’t publish a lengthy essay reflecting on violence in videogames- written by one of Dishonored’s developers.

link to rockpapershotgun.com

• John Walker says:

Could you link to a single example of our decrying violence in games?

• ooshp says:

Only amateurs bring facts into an argument.

• Laurentius says:

A plenty. Mother Russia Bleeds, every Sniper Elite Game, recent ones that comes to my mind. Also praising games that get away with blood i.e Superhot and general tendency of decrying violent stuff in games: Witcher, GTA, Deus Ex, Hitman the list goes on. But to turn the question around: Can you name here on RPS post about game in last two years, such ethusisatic about turning people into bloody splatter? I don’t think so.

• MisterFurious says:

You may be unaware of this, but Rock Paper Shotgun isn’t a person. It’s a website that runs articles written by a lot of different people. Those people can have different opinions on things. So, for example, it’s entirely possible that some writers on RPS dislike lots of violence and others like lots of violence. I’m sure that will be a shocking revelation to you.

• Laurentius says:

Still, I have forseen it, in some post not long ago decrying violnce I commented that I was sure that Dishonored 2 ultraviolence will be overlooked and guess what I was right.
            So if you can find me another game with ultra bloody kills that RPS is promoting with “check how these people got turn into bloddy mess, isn’t that cool!”, plz point it to me.

• Alice O'Connor says:

idk, is an entire article on how Brutal Doom’s gibs work of any use to you?

I remain fascinated and baffled by whichever point you seem delighted to have proven.

• Laurentius says:

@Alice
            I must admit I didn’t read that article but two things. First it’s not ethusiastic at all, two it’s an old game.
            My point is quite simple and I don’t think there is anything maliciouis about it. RPS dug Dishonored and it is pumped up for Dishonord 2 and as such it is not bothered by excessive violence in this game and that’s completley fine by me. So it would be cool to just acknowledege that violnece in game being problem is only very narrow author’s prefernce. It’s just that Adam Jensen turning people in hamburgers is problemtic but Emily/Corve doing the same is cool, thar just seems kinda silly.

• Graham Smith says:

Laurentius: where was this comment? I’ve looked through your comment history and can’t find it, and can’t think of an article we’ve written that was explicitly anti-violence. (At least, in the past two or three years).

• Laurentius says:

@Graham Smith
            It looks like I’ve written it in my head ;) I’m pretty sure I was going to write sth like this but probably let it go…

Anti-violence articles, indeed no. But a lot of passing about violence being “meh”, “unnecessary”, “jarring” ot evn “ugly” whether in news or reviews. Certainly not something like this news post.

• Graham Smith says:

“”meh”, “unnecessary”, “jarring” or even “ugly””

I suspect in most or all instances those criticisms are not of violence, but of a particular game’s use of violence.

It is totally fine that Adam Jensen slices-and-dices with his fist chisels for example, but being forced to kill the bosses in DXHR was garbage because it was a game otherwise about the freedom to approach situations how you wanted and because every other person in the game could be knocked out/stealthed by without combat.

12. something says:

I reckon about five plays through should do me. Once, just winging it. Once each as stealthy/killer Corvo/Emily.

I love the way the lore for this series is designed specifically to support entertaining gameplay. I also like that the story holds a consistent theme whether you choose to be naughty or nice. Yeah, being violent gets you a sad ending, but it’s a sad ending that really fits with the rest of the game. You’re not being told off for playing violently, you’re being given the brutal ending that your brutal tale deserves.

It’s so much better than these violent game stories about horrible men that end up with the goodies winning and everyone living happily ever after.

Harlander says:

I remember reading somewhere, but never verified myself, that if you murder people but leave no trace you can still get away with the low-chaos ending.

Anyone have any idea of the truth of that?

Aitrus says:

Can I just say how gorgeous the scenery is in this game? Holy crap.

• Zenicetus says:

The environments do look great. Still a bit empty of civilians though. I thought this was supposed to be a less plague-infested place?

14. racccoon says: