FMV Horror-Adventure The Bunker Released

When they first appeared in the skies, you knew what to do. While your family stood in the streets watching the flocks of winged toasters, you ran. When the ground shook to a latin beat, you dug your nails into your palms fighting urges to raise your right arm, your left, flip right hand flip left, to shoulder to shoulder, to head to head, to hip to… Days pass, somehow. You’ve dodged the shambling shell suits, so far, and are almost- there! There it is, the bunker! Just as the evacuation notice said! You run in, slam the door, turn the wheel, and collapse, gasping. After your eyes adjust to the darkness, you see cameras? Actors you half-recognise? No. Oh no. This bunker is the filiming location for The Bunker [official site]. You’re in an FMV game. The Nineties have you now.

That’s not the plot to The Bunker, mind. No, Splendy Interactive’s The Bunker is about the last remaining survivor in a nuclear bunker where presumably something other than a ’90s revival was behind all the troubles. As all games built from live-action video should be, it’s a horror-adventure doodad. Here, have a peek:

Yes, that’s Adam ‘The Hobbit‘ Brown and Sarah ‘Penny Dreadful‘ Greene – don’t you half-recognise them?

The Bunker hit Windows and Mac yesterday. A launch discount brings it down to £13.49/17,99€/$17.99 on Steam. John, our resident FMV game/shell suit/Macarena/general ’90s enthusiast, will be telling us Wot He Thinks of The Bunker in a while.

It’s FMV a go-go these days. To name but a few, we’ve got Her Story, Missing, Contradiction, and, coming up, some serious Chuck Tingle erotica. I still sometimes laugh remembering the live-action cutscenes in Roundabout.

From this site

1. inspiredhandle says:

Oh god. Please don’t be the start of a full FMV revival.

• Drib says:

Too late, already nerds around the world are setting up indie filming studios, following the romantic conquests of Loth A. Rio the handsome fedora’d gentleman as he defends women from their own frailty and the leering jockish jerks they adore.

• Masky says:

Dude, too late. Besides Tex Murphy reveal, check out Contradiction: Spot the liar!

• invitro says:

I don’t think I’ve played many FMV games besides the Myst games. But I love Zork: Grand Inquisitor, it has tons of FMV, and it’s all wonderful. So someone make another graphical Zork game with FMV, pretty please? (I also loved Zork: Nemesis but don’t remember it as well, I need to play it again.)

• April March says:

FMV is one of many things that was pie-on-the-sky crazy when it was first introduced during the 90’s-00’s “So This Internet Thing Is A Thing Eh” era, which is now laughably easy to create. I welcome our half-recognized overlords (and dearly expect someone to create an FMV version of North’s CYOA opus, To Be or Not To Be).

2. Danda says:

I like FMV games :)

This is a game produced by Green Man Gaming, so I bought it there and their CD key also gives you the OST DLC, in case you are interested.

3. ButteringSundays says:

Yay! Love me some FMV.

Not sure why there would be any detractors, tbh. If a developer is creating an interactive story, then using real actors is the best option available. The only reason to use digital actors is convenience/money. I mean, you still need actors either way to do the voicing – so what, do you prefer animated polys over actual humans? I think the Telltale games would be a lot more appealing if they used actors in place of uncanny mannequins.

If the issue is that you haven’t played any good FMV games then it would be like saying you wanted people to stop making movies because you’d only seen Sharknado 7.

People, eh?

• inspiredhandle says:

It doesn’t help that I dislike telltale games. I think there’s better ways to deliver what a cutscene does in general without having to have a game that is just preshot footage stitched together. It might just be that I don’t enjoy having little in the way of direct control over characters, or it may be that I feel that full FMV games are simply coming back to fulfill some eternally rotating nostalgia quota hamster wheel we are stuck on.

FMV games (IMHO of course) stink.
      (I generally prefer reading dialogue than hearing bad voice acting also.)

• Zenicetus says:

I haven’t played a FMV game since Wing Commander, so I don’t know what the state of the art is now. But my main concern is the way similar games like Walking Dead handle player interaction with Quicktime Event style interaction. Especially if it’s on a timer.

I hate that very limited and “gamey” style of player interaction, so it makes me instantly suspicious of something like this new FMV game. The Wing Commander FMV games didn’t need QTE’s.

4. April March says:

Usually games are the second type of media I’m most interested in (books being the first), but bizarrely I found myself attracted to this game because it seems to be the kind of strange indie horror movie I’d like. Can we get a WIT?

5. tehfish says:

I actually quite enjoyed this.
    But for the story, not the gameplay.

The gameplay is actually near non-existent, and some of the bits that do exist can be pretty unforgiveable (Random QTE that game overs you and makes you rewatch a good three minutes of unskippable video to retry it anyone?)

But even so, i couldn’t put it down as i had to see how it ended :)

6. Jalan says:

Having watched someone streaming it, the actual game bits in it seemed bad (and made it seem more boring than the story would let on, to be frank about it). I have intention to pick it up for myself but just based on observing it, it’s another one that’s going in the “buy it cheap” column.

7. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Haven’t seen Hobbit and WISH I hadn’t seen Penny Dreadful, but this thing seems really intriguing for some reason.
    Though I’d prefer it in a form of a show, without the interaction that surely will be completely pointless and only get in the way.