Sorcerer King: Rivals Brings Expandalone Godhood

Winter is coming - keep feeding gold pieces into the meter.

Stardock today released Sorcerer King: Rivals [official site], a standalone expansion to 2015’s fantasy turn-based strategy game Sorcerer King. While that was about stopping a dark overlord from ascending to godhood and killing all the fluffy kittens, or whatever it is dark gods get up to, Rivals lets players be y’know rivals. Players get to seek godhood too this time, and I’m sure you have a lot of ideas about what you can do to fix up the world. Maybe magically fix all vending machine so no one ever again ends up on an icy train platform at 2am weeping and shouting at a wonky wire spiral which has cruelly imprisoned their Twix. For starters, anyway.

The foundations are still largely the same as Sorcerer King, so do read Wot Adam Thought for more on all that. Beyond the obvious shift in premise, Rivals adds more new things to that turn-based army-building, artifact-creating, ally-making, and enemy-destroying foundation. Expect new factions to play, new honking great Lieutenants to battle, new quests, a new quest editor, and other expansion-grade additions.

Sorcerer King: Rivals is £22.99/27,99€/$29.99 on Steam and GOG. Folks who own the first game can get Rivals half-price.

Normally I’d have asked Adam to write this news post, seeing as he’s played a fair bit of the first game, but he’s at Rezzed right now so you get me. Sorry. Actually. Here, I’ll hand you over to Stardock head prefect Brad Wardell to explain more as he plays 40 minutes of Rivals:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. RanDomino says:

Do the AI players do stuff now?

2. trashbarge says:

isn’t/wasn’t brad wardell a huge goobergater? iirc i stopped buying stardock games a while ago due to that (and also for fallen enchantress being hot garbage at launch)

• dglenny says:

Yes, sadly. Of course, he insists he’s on the side of good in that conflict, which is… perturbing.

• PancakeWizard says:

Seriously, fuck off with these comments every time there’s a Stardock article. RPS aren’t going to stop reporting on games just because you have problem with the developer.

Whether or not Wardell is a good/bad person and whether not that makes his games bad/good is entirely your beef. Don’t be so insecure as to have to drum up mob support with a public comment every time you make a personal decision. Have some self-respect and common courtesy.

3. Hoot says:

So, this is basically Fallen Enchantress 5.0?

If I’m wrong, please let me know.

• Chmilz says:

That about sums it up, yes.

teije says:

Theme/flow of game is a little different, but actual gameplay not much. Overall, an so-so fantasy TBS, start is interesting due to the asymmetrical premise but gets boring and grindy once you’ve built up. One game was enough for me, really has no replay value.

• Zankman says:

Shame, looks pleasant visually.

Lacero says:

I had a lot of fun with the free one after elemental. I think it was fallen enchantress.

Building up the cities was great, exploring the map was good. it was all a bit rough but basically what I expected from elemental. No idea if they’re getting better or not though I didn’t buy anymore and don’t intend to.

• Captain Joyless says:

“It seems to me like Stardock have been making the same game over and over again for the last 7 years and none of them have been very good.”

Well, there was also that Ashes of the Singularity nonsense. Also terrible reviews.

• Sizeable Dirk says:

Not-Master of Magic 6.0: Stardock Dry Edition.

4. KayAU says:

I think Fallen Enchantress was a great game. I didn’t like the visual style, but mechanically, I think it is one of the very best of it’s genre.

Sorcerer King, however, was a bit of a letdown. It looks nicer, and the premise is good, but the writing is highly annoying, and the gameplay is a bit lacking. Apart from the visuals, FE:LE did most things better. It doesn’t sound like this expandalone does enough to change that.

Comment on this story