Subnautica Adds Lovely Tree, Awful Seatyranid

If Pip were around, she’d focus on how the latest Subnautica [official site] update added a lovely big undersea tree and new glowing Ghost Rays to swim around it. She’s a peaceful one, our Pip, probably hoping to build another wonderful seabase near that tree. However, Pip is at EGX today, so Pip can’t write this. Instead, you get me telling you about the awful new hostile sealife in the aquatic explore-o-build-a-surviver’s ‘Dangerous Creatures’ update. How do you fancy meeting a humanoid cuttlefish with knives for hands? Or what appears to be an aquatic Tyranid Hive Tyrant?

That big ol’ Tyranid is technically a Sea Dragon Leviathan, a new creature which lurks in volcanic areas and can spit lava to murder you. Nice. The CUTtlefish [just noticed that pun, eh? -ed.] is called a Warper, and it looks like a nice jellycreature until you notice the claws and excessive eyes. It can warp itself around, and apparently also warp in other creatures. Awful. Oh, and Subnautica’s Crabsquids can now generate EMP blasts to zap electronics. It’s all murder down in the sea today.

Except for round The Tree Cove. That’s a new area in the Lost River biome (before you ask, the undersea river is brine), where the new Ghost Rays live. That does look nice.

Subnautica is, as ever, £14.99/$19.99/19,99€ on Steam Early Access. Still no firm launch date for the full version but hey, it does already have a fair bit to enjoy.

From this site

1. Churba says:

Well, being Australian, pretty apathetic really.

• Churba says:

And of course, since it’s 2am, I forgot to close the blockquote tag. Let’s try again:

How do you fancy meeting a humanoid cuttlefish with knives for hands?

Well, being Australian, pretty apathetic really.

2. Darth Gangrel says:

“a humanoid cuttlefish with knives for hands” Putting the “cut” into cuttlefish, I see. I’d sure like a slice of that.

3. mcnostril says:

Good god that dragon thing is one of the stupidest looking creature designs I’ve seen in a long time.

• PancakeWizard says:

The ‘dragon-faced’ stuff in the game is everywhere and it’s frankly a weak art-direction compared to their actual sea-creature inspired stuff which are far more on point. The sand shark and crab squid = cool. The bone shark and sea dragon = eh.

4. Phasma Felis says:

Not super keen on fire-spitting underwater critters, and super not keen on exposed lava flows under clear water somehow. Have these guys not seen those videos of Hawaiian lava flows hitting the ocean?

5. 2late2die says:

Oooh, a shiny new update – me likey! I’ve already seen these since I’ve been following IGPs videos, but a big new update is a great excuse to start a new game. I’ve kinda overbuilt my base a bit (using cheats) and my frame rate is in the low 20s, which is not fun. So I’ll be a bit more conservative with it this time, and hey, I haven’t seen the lost river or the lava biome myself yet, so the more reason to explore further.

6. Shazbut says:

I also wanted to comment on the fire-spewing underwater creature.

Come on guys, keep it at least flirting with realism. As in favour of big sea monsters as I am, it kind of undermines things to be crafting with copper wire and titanium one minute and the next to be fighting a magic underwater dragon.

• P.Funk says:

I agree. The plausibility of the excesses of this game come from the fact that the “magic” is based on electricity, so electric eels become undersea monsters with EMP capability or just classic enormous powerful jaws.

It kind of makes you wonder if they know what their aesthetic is or not.

7. jonfitt says:

I just started playing Subnautica two nights ago, and I’m really liking it so far. But tbh the aggressive creatures are my least favourite part.

I much prefer the exploring/crafting aspect of it to the combat.

Perhaps this is a factor of many people having played it for so long that they want to add uber creatures to challenge them?

• defunct says:

I’m in the same boat. I really love the exploring and crafting parts. I really hate getting mauled.

8. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

I like how an underwater fire-breathing dragon is silly and unrealistic, but an underwater creature with the apparent ability to teleport is fine. Because VIDEOGAMES.

9. melnificent says:

Wish they’d add a disable hostile creatures option.

• orcane says:

You can sort of achieve that with the command “invisible” (link to subnautica.wikia.com), unfortunately it also turns off harmless creatures reacting to the player I think.

• defunct says:

I used this for the first time the other night. I’m not sure how I feel about it, but I am tired of getting ripped to shreds, too.

10. fray_bentos says:

Those glowing rays remind me so much of aliens in the movie “Abyss”.

11. Samudaya says:

I think this is the first update I don’t want. It would be fine if the game gave you weapons and armor to deal with these creatures. Instead they all can one-shot you. You have to constantly worry about being killed in certain areas. It’s like a horror game or being a support in LoL.

Ericusson says:

Dammit I was looking forward to finally try the game with my future laptop but all the comments about being one shot and mauled all the time already put me off m, oh noes !

• P.Funk says:

Its not that bad. There are certainly some areas that are perilous but saying its always one shotting is a real exaggeration. Most of the stuff you need is easily acquired in areas with critters that are far less dangerous than that. As you get more gadgets it gets much easier to deal with these trivial creatures. For the tougher baddies you get equally tough stuff.