Electric Heart: Deus Ex Story DLC System Rift Released

Surly cyberman Adam Jensen is teaming up with the pop star Sia and some wazzock to rob a data bank. That’s the premise of the first Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [official site] story DLC, System Rift, which launched today. A little caper and a bit of banks might even put a smile on his cyberface. Here, check out the launch trailer:

Bless ’em! That looks quite fun, doesn’t it? Those two managed to put their differences aside and bond a bit in Human Revolution but they’re still a right pair of tossers, aren’t they. The man who pops his cybershades on every time he wants to emphasise a point is scoffing at his pal calling himself ‘Nuclear Snake’ as if he’s soooo cool. Give over! Go on, hug it out. I want to see hugs by the end of this DLC.

Oh, what are they up to? Right! The official, Sia-less word on the DLC is:

“Re-unite with Frank Pritchard, Adam’s friend and former colleague at Sarif Industries, and assist him in hunting down information on the mysterious Santeau Group. Desperate to get more information, Pritchard targets one of the most secure data banks ever created – the Palisade Blade. In agreeing to help, Adam may also be able to uncover hints as to who the Illuminati really are.”

System Rift is £9.49/11,99€/$11.99 on Steam. It’s also in the DLC season pass, which will bring another story DLC later and offers a load of trinkets and baubles now.

A new patch arrived today too, bringing a few bug fixes. It also updates the current DirectX 12 beta, though that’s still not ready to properly launch – you’ll need to manually opt in if you want to discover whether it’ll boost your performance.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Kefren says:

I started playing Deus Ex Human Revolution last night (after giving up on Tomb Raider after 40 minutes). I thought it was quite good at continuing the Deus Ex vibe in terms of music and so on – I’ve completed DX 1 and 2 many times. There were some choices I wasn’t keen on (e.g. it dropped the combination of skills and augmentations from DX 1; it dropped the choice of one aug ruling out others; and it added silly augs such as “display a timer showing when people will sotp looking for you” or something, which is ridiculous).

The one thing I can’t get over is the radar in the bottom left. Please please please, is there any way to turn it off? And is it there in DX:MD as well, with no option to disable it? It’s really distracting me.

2. gbrading says:

Eh, I haven’t actually finished the main game yet. I’ve been enjoying it but I think with regards to this story DLC, considering criticisms of how abruptly the game apparently ends, I don’t feel amazing about story content behind held back specifically for DLC purposes.

• NotGodot says:

The content wasn’t held back for DLC purposes. Years ago, back when the name first leaked, it also leaked that this game was split into three. It’s the first of a trilogy that make up a single decompressed Deus Ex story.

• Yontevnknow says:

It is good to know that in a year or two, I will be able to purchase them as a bundle (likely discounted). I want this IP to do well, but don’t feel that throwing money at 1/3 of a game will do it any favors.

• NotGodot says:

Probably more like six years, and that’s if they’re being smart about development, they all have DLC cycles as short as Mankind Divided, and another game even gets made.

• Werthead says:

Apparently the sequel has already been in development for c. 18 months, so I’d be surprised if we didn’t see it in about 2 to 3 years.

• Werthead says:

My playthrough clocked in at 30 hours, which is 5 hours longer than Human Revolution. I also know people who got 45 hours or more out of it because they ghosted everywhere, tracked down a couple of side quests I missed and so on. It’s a pretty big game and it has a large amount of content in it, plus the story hangs together reasonably well. There’s a couple of elements left hanging for future development, but that’s pretty standard in most AAA games these days.

It’s not quite so obviously hacked in three as, say, StarCraft II was. StarCraft II did have three games worth of content, so the division ended up being okay, but the story would definitely have benefitted from losing the dead wood and filler missions and being cut down a lot.

3. Corwin71 says:

I enjoyed Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and defended it a bit against the microtransaction related outrage but the DLC seems like such an enormous rip-off that I’ll have to reluctantly pass. An $11.99 price point needed to be more than a bracket of cut scenes and one mission, but that seems to be what it is. And to make matters worse, they recycle the Palisade Bank yet again (is anyone who played the game anxious to go back there?)

• gbrading says:

I don’t think it’s the same location; the Palisade Property Bank HQ is a different location from the Palisade Blade, which is that weird looking building that hangs over the river in Prague and looks kind of like an unfinished bridge. They’re both owned by the same company though.

• Corwin71 says:

I know it doesn’t technically occupy the same geographical real estate, but to me it’s very familiar conceptual real estate…I think you’re supposed to be in the cyberspace equivalent of the Blade in the hacking side game mode whose name escapes me, and then, of course, multiple objectives and missions in meat space in the HQ. It doesn’t do much to stimulate my imagination.

4. Shazbut says:

As someone who hasn’t played Mankind Divided yet, does this DLC seem relevant to the main story thread? Assuming there is one.

Also, don’t we basically know who the Illuminati are already? I mean, we euthanized the founder of the group in the first game and have already met and worked with many key members. I don’t feel we need to know the whole organisation, like the guy who takes out the bins, and the one who organises the staff parties.

5. NotGodot says:

I wonder if they’re going to comment on the fact that Pritchard’s screenplay got made into a movie, and that he ripped off Adam’s look for it.

6. Durrok says:

I enjoyed the game a lot but $11.99 for DLC seems a bit much. Looking at the steam reviews it says it’s 3 hours of gameplay so I suppose that’s not as bad as I originally thought.

• Czrly says:

11.99 for 3 hours? Do you realise that that would make 30 hours 119.90? And 30 hours is light-weight for a full-priced game at 50.00 so there’s no way it’s worth 120.00 in my opinion.

I’ve got 120 hours out of Factorio for 20.00. That’s 17 cents an hour. Comparatively, this DLC is demanding 400 cents per hour and that’s for DLC, which is certainly more than half recycled assets and models and textures.

• Jason Moyer says:

Everytime I see people equating game length to value, I imagine those sorts of criteria being applied to other media and laugh a little. Imagine Siskel and Ebert reviewing films based on ticket price per hour, or someone insisting that Lulu is better than The Velvet Underground & Nico because it’s twice as long.

The first Mirror’s Edge was $60, lasted about 4 hours (before diving back into replays and time trials, mind), and was worth every penny I spent on it.

keefybabe says:

Yeah, I’ve had 4 hour experiences I preferred to 20 hour ones. A lot of games outstay their welcome these days because of this obsessive idea of length = value. Sometimes I have to tactically bail on a game because I got bored of it before I ran out of content.

I’d put my experience with Portal above any of the final fantasy games for example.

7. Solidstate89 says:

Oh goody, I get to rip off more stuff from Palisade? That’s been my favorite “level” in Prague. I knocked out all the guards and stole everything I could from the vaults and offices before I left for Golem City.

Then, much to my surprise, when I got back from Utulek, everyone had woken back up and there was even more security now. I got to do it all over again for the main Palisade robbing mission!

This area looks even larger than the Prague Palisade bank. Should be fun – I hope.

Sinomatic says:

I’d really love to play this (especially since it’s more bank robbing), but going on the other Jensen Story dlc that was included on Day 1, I’m guessing the amount of content won’t warrant that price (for me, at least).

• NotGodot says:

Supposedly it’s longer (some people on steam are saying ~3 hours) but I’d wait for an LP to verify that if I were you.

9. Hodag says:

It took me four hours because I took my time and explored every nook and cranny. Easily worth the money I paid. The Blade is full of all sorts of tunnels and panels and I want to try it again with a different set of augs equipped.

10. a very affectionate parrot says:

Not really pleased with the former Eidos side of Square Enix insisting on breaking up their games like this. At least they were up front about it with Hitman.

keefybabe says:

Well, mankind divided took me 19 hours to finish. I’m happy with that number. If they want to make 2 more games in the future, I’d prefer that to one 60 hour game because, to me, that would be in serious time slog territory.

11. Whelp says:

Sorry, 12 euros is too much for a 2 hour DLC.
    And yes, I know that’s about the price of a movie ticket these days, but that’s different.

Comment on this story