Firewatch Movie Being Made By Oldboy Producers

Sorry, it’s the US remake of Oldboy, starring Josh Brolin. Still, didn’t see that coming, did you? Yes, the creators of countryside hike-em-up Firewatch [official site] have partnered with production company Good Universe to make a movie about the game, as well as work together on future projects, says the Hollywood Reporter. There aren’t many details about the movie itself, or what these ‘future projects’ might be, but come and read some exciting soundbites from all the people involved!

“When we met Good Universe we were floored by how they recognize, cultivate and produce incredible stories. It’s rare you meet another group that shares so many of your values and makes the process of creating things even more exciting. We can’t wait to see what we make together,” said Campo Santo founder Sean Vanaman.

I’ve just torn that out of the original article. I’m very lazy. The production company also worked on the comedies Neighbours and The Night Before, as well as the horror movie Don’t Breathe, which got decent reviews if Metacritic is to be trusted.

Meanwhile, Firewatch was very well received and, as source material for a videogame movie goes, it stands the best chance of being made into something good. I was not overly impressed by the hiking and radio calls of Campo Santo’s work. But John loved it and it made it into our list of the best games of the year so far. Plus, if you really want to explore that landscape, you can even take an audio tour of it. So, I guess, what do I know, eh?

When we know more about this movie, we’ll tell you. For now, the best videogame movie is still Edge of Tomorrow. Discuss.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. SMGreer says:

“Made By Old Boy producers” Yay! “The US Version” Oh. You got me.

• Jalan says:

Despite Spike Lee’s strong insistence that it was going to be different from the Korean film and draw more from the manga, it was basically the Korean film remade with (mostly) US actors and crew.

• MajorLag says:

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one thinking that.

2. crazyd says:

Best videogame movie is Scott Pilgrim.

• gwop_the_derailer says:

I love Scott Pilgrim, but eXistenZ takes the top spot for me.

• Geebs says:

Mortal Kombat is the only good videogame movie that has ever been, or ever will be, made.

• Darth Gangrel says:

The Dungeon Siege movie by Uwe Boll is his best movie and was very hilaribad. The Warcraft movie was very silly/epic in a good way, just like Mortal Kombat.

• Jalan says:

Postal is Herr Boll’s best film.

He should’ve retired after its release, because he hasn’t topped it since and no amount of crowdfunding or whining about how people have turned their wallets away from him will ever change that.

• Sin Vega says:

Uwe Boll should have retired before he so much as looked at a camera.

• C0llic says:

And it’s the best just because of this one scene.

• Little_Crow says:

Videogameyist film for me is Sucker Punch.

• KenTWOu says:

Sucker Punch looks like an awesome video game, but it doesn’t explain its own rules as great as Inception or Edge of Tomorrow did, therefore, doesn’t give us a deeper insight into video games structure.

• Ross Angus says:

I violently agree with you!

phuzz says:

Resident Evil deserves some props for being the first film-of-a-game that wasn’t complete pants.
      Goldeneye was the equivalent game-of-a-film (before Goldeneye film tie-in games were notoriously shite).

• Sin Vega says:

I hope not. I was barely able to watch ten minutes of Nice Guy Vs He Just Doesn’t Appreciate You Ps HEY LOOK GAMES HEY LOOK HEY LOOK ITS GAMES HEY. He was an insufferable arsehole and if the script was a person it would have been his equally insufferable best friend.

• anHorse says:

The comic for SP makes it very clear that Scott is supposed to be viewed as a creepy arse, the film unfortunately loses that.

3. anHorse says:

Well it’s not like there’s much gameplay to remove

4. KillahMate says:

Inception is the best video game movie ever made, even if it doesn’t know it. But that may be because it wasn’t limited by specific game mechanics, but played with general concepts. Level design, combat, character selection, story cutscenes… It was good because it was a take on the gaming mindset, not a collection of tangible details (cf Film Crit Hulk).

Free bonus Wall Of Text: Inception the Video Game!

It has to be an asymmetric multiplayer game. One player is The Mark, a team of others attempts a heist or inception. Class-based: you have an Extractor, a Point Man, an Architect, etc. with different specialties, each with gameplay dedicated to them. Point Man is a tank, and his game is Uncharted 4: Modern Warfare. Architect is the puny wizard, and her game is the fun part of the Sims, where you build an entire neighborhood, except she can then go in it with the equivalents of the Gravity Gun and Portal Gun and Time Manipulation Device and others. The Extractor is playing Splinter SWAT 4: Deadly Shadows (he gets to plan the heist in the map the Architect just made). The Forger is Agent 47 – he is the one right in front of The Mark’s nose, jumping from one body to another, risking a headshot in order to confuse and distract him. The Tourist is a jack-of-all-trades; he’s good in a pinch, but not necessary, and can even be a liability. He’s playing Deus Ex. The Shade is the griefer. A wild card with no allegiance, her goal is to disrupt the team in whatever way possible – she can sense the team members and manipulate the map (to an extent), and will attempt to kill them all. She is playing the L4D Infected team, and the Black Phantom from Demon’s Souls – every multiplayer game in progress has a slot open for the Shade, and any player on the Net (subject to balancing) can come in and play against the team.

The Mark is playing a kind of action adventure game, one in which he is a detective. Think Spy Party; some of all these people are not AI and not on his side, and he needs to find out who they are, what they want, and how to best stop them. The entire world is against him, but he’s not nearly helpless – especially once the game has advanced enough that he knows he’s in a dream. Lots of conversation, but not actually adventure game lots; conversations we have in dreams are weird, and the dialog system is brief and modular to reflect that. Procedurally generated sentences, if well done, could be quite Lynchian, and are much more flexible than dialog trees. It’s a mini game that the Mark and the Forger are best at – but all team members might be called upon to play it. Just remember – act like a Projection, ’cause if a Mark makes you…

Dream layers? Whew. Not sure yet. The game might require everyone to descend, but that’s sort of lame. Lower layers would probably be visited only in brief excursions – they’re unstable, after all. Everyone else on top gets bullet time. I’m still working on this bit to be honest.

5. Raoul Duke says:

The original version of Oldboy was, in my purely subjective opinion, total trash. It started off mildly interesting and became increasingly idiotic as it progressed. Right up there with Snowpiercer on the “this makes no sense and reflects an almost total unfamiliarity with the human condition and must therefore be a work of genius” scale.

• jusplathemus says:

I also think that Oldboy is kind of overrated. It’s the second movie in a trilogy where the first one, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is far, far better in my opinion.

• Sin Vega says:

I much prefer Lady Vengeance personally, but only after you’ve seen the other two. They’re not connected by plots or characters, but thematically they really are far more interesting taken together.

Oldboy is probably the best introduction as it’s the most exciting and comprehensible and dramatic (and the fight choreography is legendary for a reason), but it does get a bit stupid by the end.

• jusplathemus says:

You’re not alone. From what I’ve read, the majority seems to prefer that thrid movie. I personally found it boring on the first watch, but I’ll definitely give the Lady a second chance sometime. I saw Oldboy first, obviously because of the fame, but I wasn’t really blown away save for a couple of scenes. And after I realized that it’s a trilogy I went on to watch Mr Vengeance, which managed to glue me to the screen all the way through for multiple times now. I’m not exactly sure why, but I realized that my taste seems to differ a bit from the majority.

• gunny1993 says:

I strongly disagree on the “lack of understanding of the human condition” part, both those films are about the darkest, usually hidden, elements of the human psyche.

Snowpeircer is about introducing chaos into order and looks at humans in a fairly standard elitist, heirarchical view. Oldboy is a simple revenge story with somewhat Freudian elements.

In fact I would say both themes in both films are somewhat mundane, highly stylised of course, but nothing you can’t see in any number of stories or other films.

Also lets not forget one of the main reasons these films are acclaimed is because of their fantastic film work, eg old boys bad ass corridor fight scene and Snowpeircers literally visual left right decision making.

• C0llic says:

I can’t agree with that. You’re right in that it’s aged slightly because it was part of that crop of nihilistic, deliberately shocking Korean horror and drama films, but it’s still a beautifully scored film, full of surreal imagery, good acting, and some brilliantly shot scenes.

It’s unfair to tear it down and call it trash because it simply doesn’t exist in a vacum. Compared to the great majority of films that hit cinemas, it’s easy to see why people still really like that film (myself included).

6. Geebs says:

The thing about Firewatch is that the interactivity was what made it good-ish. The dialogue was decent, but it wouldn’t have been anywhere near as involving to just listen to two middle-aged people snarking at each other – it was getting involved in the conversations that made them engaging.

Two of the three plots in Firewatch were rubbish, though, and would seem even more pointless on film. Also, there’s absolutely no chance that the filmmakers wouldn’t change Delilah to be young, attractive and a moderate drinker, and have the two leads get together at the end.

• qrter says:

Yes, faraway the weakest part of Firewatch was its story.

It was one big fake out. It took the trick they used to great effect in Gone Home (suggesting there is more going on than you think, and what is going on is pretty out there) and turned it up to 11. For me it just made the game feel hollow. Ofcourse you can argue that the (supposed) plot isn’t what the game is about, but a LOT of time is spent on it, and a LOT of the game’s tension comes from it.

• Urthman says:

It’s a Scooby Doo story. The implausible weird stuff is all a ruse a dude is using to scare people away from finding out the bad stuff and he would have gotten away with it if it weren’t for those meddling 30-somethings.

• Urthman says:

I loved that all the stuff that made me say, “Hey waitaminute, that’s implausible. I thought this was supposed to be a realistic story,” turned out to be stuff a character in the game was doing in an half-assed attempt to fool you.

• MrBehemoth says:

Stories are like wizards, they are about precisely what they tell you.

It’s not a trick, or a fake-out. If the story appears to be about something supernatural, then it is a story about the appearance of something supernatural. If you suddenly realise that it’s actually about something mundane, then it’s a story about something that is suddenly realised to be mundane.

I don’t get how people criticise a game (or any creative work) for having a different story from the one they wanted. By all means, criticise it for not delivering the story well, but if it’s the story itself that you don’t like, it doesn’t mean that it’s a bad piece of work, it just means that it’s not for you. It’s like criticising a rom-com for not having enough dinosaurs in it… I just don’t get that line of thinking.

• KenTWOu says:

Such criticism is completely understandable, when said creative work is having a different story from the one it’s telling to you.

7. jasta85 says:

I don’t really get making a movie about a game where the whole point is to make choices in how your conversations go. They’re going to pick one particular branch to follow and basically it’s going to be just watching a live action playthrough of the game. For people who have played the game they’ll already know what happened and for people who haven’t played the game I don’t know how appealing the movie will be.

8. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Without the mildly interesting interactive conversations, all they’ll have will be the godawful plot twist, which 100% of the audience will know anyway. Unless they put a twist on the twist and rewrite the ending, which seems kinda like something they wouldn’t do?

9. משוגע־סאָפֿע says:

wh for?

10. GeoX says:

Firewatch could’ve been one for the ages if it had focused squarely on Henry trying to come to grips with his marital situation and his evolving relationship with Delilah. BUT NO! Instead, we have to endure this painfully inept effort at a story. How the developers managed to convince anyone that this is some sort of masterwork of narrative art is truly beyond me.

• Quite So says:

Agreed. Really wanted to like this one, but was mostly bored and ultimately annoyed by the whole thing. RPS has pointed me towards some amazing games that I wouldn’t have known about otherwise, but this is one I wish I had watched 5 minutes of a Let’s Play and then gotten on with my life.

Comment on this story