Ghostly Rumours: Destiny 2 On PC?

GOSSIP. TITTLE-TATTLE. RUMOUR. The basest of base discussion, as your mum told the postman in the sauna the other day. At least, that’s what I hear. I also hear that maybe, just maybe, console online FPS-come-hamster-wheel Destiny [official site] might be incorporating PC into its sequel plans.

The rumour comes via Kotaku and NeoGAF, the former alleging that they’d previously heard similar to what was expressed on the latter. Specifically, that Bungie’s Destiny 2 will come to PC as well as console. The GAF poster’s alleged source is a friend from Activision who saw an internal report claiming the sequel would hit PC. From a business point of view, this seems sensible. It’s a huge audience cut off for no good reason (development resources not withstanding), and Activision’s sister company Blizzard have had huge success by putting out Overwatch on everything they can.

Also alleged is that Destiny 2 will be a major rethink of the first game, as opposed to the The Same But Bigger approach taken by add-on The Taken King. Reportedly the project was “rebooted earlier this year.” Given how much flak vanilla Destiny caught for its storytelling and world-building (albeit improved somewhat in The Taken King), tweaks to that side of things seems likely whatever platforms the thing comes out on.

For me, getting on board another Sparrow will require something more meaningful than an endless loot hunt. Destiny’s shooting is good, but the MMO rinse’n’repeat formula rarely gets its hooks into anymore. And by ‘meaningful’, I don’t mean ‘heavy with consequences and gravitas’, but rather something I can have a satisfying experience in for a few hours here and there, as opposed to needing to make the loot hunt a daily way of life.

Kotaku offer this: “The plan, from what I’ve heard, is for Destiny 2’s planet areas to feel more populated with towns, outposts, and quests that are more interesting than the patrol missions you can get in Destiny.” Appealing in concept: Destiny as-is is very evidently just wide-open spaces that any number of players can be thrown into, rather than a universe that feels at all lived-in, while quests are obtained in a mechanical rather than organic fashion. The idea of a place that I can wobble my own way through, picking up goals and challenges here and there, sounds far more appealing. In theory.

Anyway: also alleged is that Destiny’s existent cast won’t carry over to the new game, and that olden Activision in-house studio Vicarious Visions are helping out on Destiny 2. Kotaku also speculate that old Destiny characters can’t be carried across, though it seems unlikely that long-term players would be treated entirely coldly.

But: rumour. Could be nothing. If there’s one thing the internet at large likes more than relentlessly playing Destiny, it’s relentlessly speculating about Destiny.

Do you want this to happen? It’s strange, isn’t it, to think that a year from now, RPS might be as plastered in Destiny posts as most other places. I’ve quite liked being an oasis.

Destiny 2 is, in theory, due for release late in 2017.

From this site

1. Ansob says:

No one else does Bungie’s slick sci-fi aesthetic, so I would really love Destiny 2 and Halo 6 or whatever we’re up to on PC, so I can play them with a mouse and keyboard and without investing in a console and XIM.

Unfortunately, there’ve been rumours swirling around about Destiny on PC pretty much since Destiny first released, so I somehow doubt there’s any point in giving credence to those rumours. :(

Dorga says:

I tink it was hinted more thn once.

3. Kefren says:

I watched my nephew play Destiny for half an hour on his console once.
    It looked rubbish. I went home and carried on with STALKER.

4. Maxheadroom says:

Deal breaker for me will be if they continue with their ‘no matchmaking’ approach.

Having to go to 3rd party websites to form a group for Nightfall Strikes (Heroic Dungeons)/raids is crazy.

• welverin says:

I heard rumblings of matchmaking for raids, so it may happen.

5. TillEulenspiegel says:

FPS-come-hamster-wheel

link to en.wiktionary.org

6. Yachmenev says:

Didn’t play the first one on consoles, but everything I’ve heard about it made it sound like Stockholm Syndrome: The Game. With so many people saying things like “Played this awful game for 300h. It sucks. Anyone up for playing a bit more this evening?”.

• Maxheadroom says:

The shooting mechanics are fun and solid. There’s just not much ‘game’ to speak of.

Picked up Destiny when Taken King came out (so I got all the expansions bundled with it to that point) and yeah, I got a good couple of weeks out of levelling up and seeing the zones but now that’s done I see no reason to go back.

• tnzk says:

“Also the dialog is terrible with everyone talking like a Saturday morning cartoon from the 90s (all “You, Guardian, are the only one that can save us!” etc).
        Compared to something like Witcher 3 where for the most part people sound and act like real people it’s straight up cringe worthy.”

You obviously read that Destiny had ambitions to be that Star Wars/Saturday morning cartoon universe right? That’s the only way you could’ve, known… unless they really hit the nail on the head with that vibe.

Also no, I don’t want everything sounding quasi-grimdark like the Witcher 3. Dialogue must match the rest of the universe tone

7. gwop_the_derailer says:

Never played Destiny, but I like its weapon descriptions.

8. friik says:

I really enjoyed this game – not really sure why, it just clicked all the right buttons for me. The patrol system was downright boring, but raiding (I only tried the Taken King) was the first game in so many years that made me bring out the headset to TALK to other people.

I’m definately on the boat for this if it comes to PC – already considering the game on PS4 with the new expansion out.

• -Spooky- says:

Raiding and talking with people? WoW – Molten Core, Vanilla. Raid leaders are like: “Stop talking. Just the leader and tanks are talking.” ;)

• Distec says:

For a time, yes. :)

Once you got it on farm and set your sights on BWL though, it was a great raid instance to shoot the shit in. Given that MC was 90% dead space to traverse and 10% FIGHTS, it’s not like there was much else to do.

9. C0llic says:

I’d be interested to see what all the fuss was about if the sequel made it to PC.

If it does, I suspect it will be a windows 10 store thing because of its xbox history. Assuming they haven’t given up on trying to push the store by then. Hopefully it gets here and it isn’t.

boundless08 says:

Don’t think it would be a window store thing at all. The last two years, at least since the latest consoles Destiny has been more playstation focused in marketing and gameplay videos etc.

Also, Activision are publishing so they want as much money they can get and will go through Steam

• C0llic says:

Oh okay, for some reason i thought this one was an xbox only title.

10. wcq says:

GUN GRINDER 2: Wizards of the Moon

11. piercehead says:

Too little, too late, again from Bungie. There are plenty of PC-centric developers who are more deserving of my money.

• Faults says:

That seems a little presumptuous, given that the game hasn’t even been announced yet.

• piercehead says:

No, but if the rumours become fact then this is my opinion.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Yeah, you can’t blame people for blaming companies, based on past experiences. You can also ask yourself how probable it is that the sequel will be so much better than the first game.

• Faults says:

Oh no, I’m definitely saying one shouldn’t temper their expectations. Hell, almost every Bungie game published has massively overpromised, all the way back to Halo.
            I do, however, find the concept of commenting on a game’s lack of whatever the OP expected before the game is even confirmed to exist at all to be kind of weird and silly.

12. sp0q says:

I was interested in Destiny from the beginning so I’d be happy to see the sequel coming to the PC platform. HOWEVER I suspect the main reason for this is the fact they raped the whole console crowd with all the game’s content/dlc mess and need to look for additional revenue within another market to keep it afloat.

Captain Narol says:

“And by ‘meaningful’, I don’t mean ‘heavy with consequences and gravitas’, but rather something I can have a satisfying experience in for a few hours here and there, as opposed to needing to make the loot hunt a daily way of life.”

Dear Alec, you should try playing “No Man’s Sky”, it might be right up your alley !!

FULL DISCLOSURE : I know what you did there !

14. aircool says:

Is this another one of those games where you run around doing things for NPC’s with exclamation marks above their heads?

MMO’s are at a dead end and have been for a long time (even though I’m currently playing Elder Scrolls Online). Nothing you do makes any or little difference to the world around you. You’ve saved the town from Beelzeboss, but all the other players are doing exactly the same thing, either by waiting for it to respawn, or having their own little instance.

MMO’s need humans on the other side of the fourth wall making things happens and keeping things fresh.

15. lglethal says:

Hey! Hey! My mother and the postman are just friends ok! There is nothing wrong with them going into the sauna together. Right! Right? right?

16. FFabian says:

I believed the “we are doing something new here”-advertising drivel once and bought Destiny. Fool me once … you know the drill.

I liked the shooting part, the aesthetics and the theme/story. The endless “grinding for items to be able to grind more item; then expansion = loot invalidation; start grinding again” cycle made me furious. They were promising new mechanics ‘n stuff but used the same old MMORPG grind-fare.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Would be even better if they allowed cross-platform play as Destiny really seems to be the ‘hang out with your chums’ game of the moment (or it was.)