Dishonored 2 Shows Eight Mins Of Mechanical Mansion

Good news: a new Dishonored 2 [official site] gameplay trailer is out, with a pleasing eight-minute chunk of Emily murdering her way through a place we’ve seen a bit of before. What I saw was quite nice, but I started peeking through my fingers then stopped watching because I’d still like to be surprised by Arkane’s sneak-o-FPS.

Plbbbbbrfffff news: those silly sausages at Bethesda have announced that they’ll release the game a day early – to people who pre-order it. You cheeky bunch!

The good: this natty gameplay trailer.

Coo! What I saw before slapping my hand to my eyes was lovely. What a house! It’s not as fancy as it looked in that first cinematic trailer but lawks, it’s more like it than I was expecting. Good stuff!

Annnd yes, people who pre-order will get the game a day early. I’m too tired to have a Hot Take on this. It’s sorta like releasing early except tied up in pre-order guff? Battlefield 1 is worse, letting players in early if they pay extra for the Deluxe Edition, and they can play a chunk even earlier by subscribing to that Origin Access doodad. And Squeenix tried to force pre-orders on the new Deus Ex with promises of releasing it early if enough people slapped their cash down early – only to back down when it was pointed out how flipping daft that was. Please can we knock off all this pre-order guff. Give people shiny stickers and pats on the head. If a game is ready to be released, just release it.

My Hot Take is a half-hearted Bronx cheer being forced out as I crumple forwards.

[Disclosure: Cara Ellison, RPS’s former Senior Scottish Correspondent and my own current Flatmate/Platonic Life Partner, wrote a bit for Dishonored 2.]

From this site

1. bandertroll says:

This practice about releases are worst idea ever. Pirates, sir! Or Denuvo?

• Renegade says:

Personally I don’t mind the idea, let the fools who pre-order get their game and then find out whether the game is really worth getting or not.

• Jason Moyer says:

I knew the game was worth getting when I saw the word Arkane on the box.

• KenTWOu says:

Unfortunately, that’s not the only word on the box.

• Jason Moyer says:

Fortunately that other word is Studios, and Arkane Studios have made 3 of the greatest games ever.

• KenTWOu says:

Unfortunately, that other word on the box is Bethesda, and it could imply shady things like, you know, let’s hire a bunch of Hollywood stars sleepwalking through the video game script, the thing they did with the first Dishonored.

• Dewal says:

You are presented with a game from one of the more honest big studios still around and you want to pirate it just because they allow some people to play it a day before you could ?

When you sell something, knowing that you’ll sell “at least that” before the release day is a big comfort and advantage, and it’s normal that people that pay in advance can get a little advantage. It’s give and take.

What do you lose by not playing it on day one ? And if you wanted to play on day one without waiting for review, why not preorder in that case ?

I prefer the solution where big fan can play a day early instead of the cases where they have advantages or bonuses that I’ll never have.

If you want to pirate the game, do it. But don’t justify yourself by bashing on the studio.

• bandertroll says:

I pre-order. But it seems to me that this feature is a “prerelease” just a good reason for wavering people and people who have any prejudice against such “tricks”.

2. Shazbut says:

I mean this kindly, but if you’re incentivized by that pre-order scheme then I can’t imagine what kind of hellish psychological torture anticipation must be causing for you. It sounds like living your life in a regular state of being a small child awake at 3am on the night before Christmas who is told that he can’t open his presents until the morning.

FhnuZoag says:

I guess this sort of thing is just to have a perfunctory line in the advert to say that they are rewarding pre-orderers *somehow*, when giving people anything substantive would probably create more hullabaloo. It’s probably irrelevant for D2, though for Battlefield 1 it makes a bit more sense – playing early lets you dodge the release-day rush.

3. Vermintide says:

I liked the video, but the whole way through I was quite distracted by how over the top the foley work is. Real life doesn’t have so many superfluous squelches, clinks or rustles, and knives don’t go “shiiing” every time you move them. Everything sounds like it’s been soaked in Mr. Sheen. This is becoming somewhat of a trend in games…

4. racccoon says:

Wicked! wicked! Wicked! Such great creative modelling.

5. ddaymace says:

looks really good. too bad they never demo Corvo anymore. As far as I’ve seen.

6. Michael Fogg says:

I have a feeling this will turn out the way the new Deus Ex did, that is GOOD BUT MORE OF SAME. While so much more could be done with regard to AI, possible interaction, simulation of society… if the devs weren’t so busy making marketable VERTICAL SLICES with lotsa stabbin’ while wearing COOL SHADES etc.

• KenTWOu says:

I still hope that the game will surprise us, but I have the same feeling after watching an extended walkthrough of this level.

7. davethejuggler says:

Jesus, what was that mouth acting? Close your mouth sometimes! At some point don’t even bother making the mouth move if it’s going to look that bad. Still, looking forward to this game more than any other I think.

Aitrus says:

Are you sure you’re not mistaking the shadow under his upper lip for an open mouth?

• Hanban says:

I did exactly that, and it took me too long to realize there was a moustache.

• davethejuggler says:

Oh, wow. I totally was! I blame jetlag!

8. wodin says:

Serious Bioshock vibe in the trailer..

9. Rich says:

Don’t mind that as a pre-order incentive; if you’re going to buy it on release then why not pre-order. Personally I don’t pre-order, or buy at full price at all so it doesn’t affect me. This incentive is far better than giving someone game-changing DLC that the likes of me would miss out on.

• bandertroll says:

>game-changing DLC
      What, for example? I don’t remember any “game-changing” DLC for Witcher, Bioshock, Dishonored, Fallout, etc.

Aitrus says:

In both Dishonoreds you could/can get extra bone charms and loot at the beginning of the game if you pre-ordered.

• bandertroll says:

Hm, I think we have different conception of term “game-changing”. For me this example are “game-comfort”, not a “game-changing”.

• klops says:

5% more energy from killing rats!
            15% more swimming speed!

OOuuieeee!

10. Biggus_Dikkus says:

its one durable blade she is packing

11. kael13 says:

I just played this at EGX. The enhanced textures over the first game made me instantly like it a lot more, but it is very similar to Dishonoured 1. I wanted to play Emily, too, but the PC I got directed to (which had a mouse and keyboard attached, but still I had to play with one of those evil controllery things) as set up for Corvo.

Also, I hope they fix the debilitatingly awful frame rate.

12. Laurentius says:

I wonder if game will have an explenation that we are playing as a sadistic monster. I can’t belive that it will be possible to sell narrative that we are a good person. This game looks gross.

Aitrus says:

If you play as a sadistic monster, the narrative will adjust and make it clear that you are very much not a good person, if the game is anything like the first one.

13. Jaykera says:

I trust Arkane, I love Dishonored, I will buy day one no matter what but I’m gonna do my best to resist the desire to pre order. I’m not sure I’m strong enough though.

14. inspiredhandle says:

Didn’t think a great deal of dishonoured. Was ok. Didn’t even spend any money on it. Played wolfenstein: new order around the same time and loved the shit out of it.
    Who knows?