Slayer Shock Is Basically Buffy: The Game

Ever wanted to play through your own lo-fi vision of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Slayer Shock [official site] is the brainchild of David Pittman, creator of both Eldritch and Neon Struct, and the FPS-RPG finally launched this week to bring slayage to the masses.

When annoying undead dudes hustle you at a coffee shop you have to throw back that PSL in a hurry (it is time for pumpkin spice, after all) and take missions to push them back. Oh, and you get to rescue humans too. Basically, it’s your job to kill off these obnoxious creatures so you can get back to sipping coffee and (probably) writing your novel. Because they always, always come at the worst possible time.

What sticks out to me are the “episodes” the game’s meant to take place across, with special seasons to explore throughout a procedural narrative, which seem reminiscent of ’90s TV. Good, comfortable familiarity. Sounds better than Buffy already, actually. Sign me up.

Pick up Slayer Shock on Steam now for £14.99/17,99€/$19.99. It’s on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Alec’s been playing Slayer Shock and will tell us all Wot He Thinks soon.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Sp4rkR4t says:

Been playing since it launched on itch a little while back, it’s a damn fun game that will be great with a bit more development.

Ninja Dodo says:

Man, I was really hoping they would do some more work on the art. I think the simple environments could even work if only they replaced the characters, either with something waaay more simplified (along the lines of Blendo Games) or something more elegantly stylized. Right now they’re just sort of in this halfway space between deliberate simplicity and complex modeling where it just looks kind of ugly. It doesn’t feel like a coherent art direction.

In an urban gothic setting you could do so much more with the atmosphere… I mean look at Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines! That game is pretty dated by now, but the art in that game still really holds up. Imagine a game like this with characters that expressive. I would play the crap out of that.

I think I’m still going to try this cause gameplay-wise it seems really compelling (and I’m a big Buffy fan), but it seems like a missed opportunity. I guess their budget is what it is, but I really think with more developed art this could be a bigger hit.

3. Sin Vega says:

If anyone’s unconvinced but hasn’t watched the video, do give it a go. I’ve not played, but it’s clear just from watching that screenshots of this can’t really convey the personality it has in motion.

• Kitsunin says:

You weren’t kidding. It looks like one of those horrifyingly bad Greenlight games Jim Sterling is always playing in a screenshot. In motion it looks…not great, but not awful.

• RimRider says:

I don’t see it either. It’s like the kind of game you get in the DailyIndieGame Greenlight bundles where you can buy 1 bundle for $1.04 or get 2 for $1.19.

It flashed up on my ‘New Release’ queue the other day and I expected it to be about 49p and was gobsmacked to see the actual price…

• Baines says:

Yes, it *looks* like a low or no-effort Unity asset flip, which is a very bad thing. The video shows what appears to be real effort put into creating a legitimate reasonable product, but that “garbage Unity Steam game” appearance could be fatal.

Ninja Dodo is probably right that the game either needs even simpler character design or more complex characters. It needs something to shake that stigma, otherwise it risks being dismissed on sight.

caff says:

A shame to judge on visuals alone, because Eldritch and Nein Struct had fine qualities that transcended such criticisms.

caff says:

Nein nicht nein. Neon.

• TΛPETRVE says:

Big fucking difference, though: Both Eldritch and Neon Struct looked like finished products. Amateurish, maybe, but finished. This here on the other hand looks like an early prototype that’s meant to be seen by no one but the developer. The menus in particular are absolutely atrocious.

Ninja Dodo says:

Visuals are an essential part of the experience of a game and developers neglect them at their peril. It’s possible to have a simple but effective art style – working within your limitations as it were – and from what I can tell that was what Eldritch had (not sure about Neon Struct). This game does not have an effective art style.

• Crafter says:

The weird thing is that if it seems that they are iterating on the same engine and principle with the first iteration being eldritch.
          Eldritch looked deliberately low-fi. Slayer Shock ? It is way harder to say what the intent is.

I have bought the game nonetheless (had it on my radar for some time).

‘Buffy the videogame’ is entirely spot on and can only be deliberate. Between the big bads to identify and hunt, the mentor to give you some advice and the fellow student helping you studying, it feels like an awesome adaptation (taking enough liberties to gamify the licence but still close enough to make everything familiar and referential).

4. Paul Debrion says:

If you do check this out then be aware you might want to start with a difficulty setting higher than “Normal”.
    You can change the difficulty setting at any time without having to start over.

Your mileage may vary of course, but I say that because found the first “generation” (5 “seasons”) on “Normal” were much too easy to be fun.
    I guess it’s to allow new players a chance to try everything out, but I feel it’s too much considering how long a generation is.

Turning it up to “Expert” really helped a lot, so if you end up finding the enemies to be complete pushovers at default difficulty like I did consider trying that.

5. jonfitt says:

Also there are the games which *are* Buffy the Vampire Slayer games.

link to

I played the 2000 Xbox one and it was a passable 3rd person brawler.

Comment on this story