What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

Hello to you! Merry Saturday to one and all. You’ve likely already been visited by Saturday WAPWAPPWPPAPWAWers, wrapped up in coats and scarves and mittens going door-to-door asking their friends and neighbours what they’re playing, hoping to be invited in for sherry and a steak pie. But since we’re all one big virtual neighbourhood here, tell me: what are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re all playing:

Adam: [Adam is on holiday this week. Last we heard, he was lounging beside a pool sipping rum and cola from the polished skulls of his enemies.]
Alec: I will be playing Slayer Shock, a Buffy-inspired random-o-fps by Eldritch folk Minor Key games. I love that this guy basically chucks out an early-2000s-quality boldly imaginative action game every year, often with more than a hint of the immersive sim to it. Meanwhile we sit and wait four years for Dishonored sequels. We need more devs like this.
Alice: I had intended to play Virginia last weekend but ended up back in Deadly Premonition. These things happen. Greenvale is still one of my favourite gameplaces, and I’m happily pootling around town in my crapmobile helping residents with errands. I mean sure, it crashes at least once an hour so I stop to save at almost every telephone I see, but… it’s worth it. Things are really picking up pace so I might knock that off this weekend and THEN play Virginia. Or Devil Daggers. There’s always Devil Daggers.
Brendan: There is no Brendan. There is only Brendan’s hacker aliases as he connects to the Hackmud again. But he’ll never tell you who he is. Could he be bitdrive? 1ance1ot? sugarmonster? Any of these and more are possible. Don’t worry if you are playing the multiplayer hacking sim yourself, he won’t harm you. You won’t find all your cryptocurrency suddenly stolen by a conman called wiremigrant, for example. Or your location revealed by something you thought was an innocent script, penned by a user called n0tBr3nd4n. Don’t worry. Don’t worry.
Graham: I’m currently playing FIFA 17‘s new mode, The Journey, which wraps your matches in cutscenes and dialogue choices as you guide a single footballer from exit trial to super-stardom. It is… a compelling idea, poorly executed? I’ll have more thoughts on Monday when I’m done playing.
John: This weekend I’m hoping to play Burly Men At Sea, which I’ve downloaded to my electronic telephone. It’s the cool new way. But I also fancy a weekend off games, really. We might well be taking the boy to a Lego thing in Swindon on Saturday, which won’t be a game. And perhaps I’ll have a little time to do the crossword on Sunday. I don’t know. Why do you even need to know about my private life? What’s your problem?
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing “create a fancy dress costume at the last minute and hope it holds up to scrutiny/beer”. I might also be alternating between board games and Destiny if I’m feeling a bit fragile on Sunday. If not I will be playing “going for a nice walk in the countryside”.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. ikehaiku says:

For me, it’ll depend whether I’ll got my new GPU (GTX1060) today or not.
    If not, as always probably some Starcraft and some Overwatch.
    If yes, then probably one of those shiny new games just because I can…before going back to some Starcraft and Overwatch :-)

2. ButteringSundays says:

Clustertruck! I want to at least finish all the campaign levels with times better than my friends. Plus unlock the SUPERHOT mode. Given that I have 1 friend playing the game this is an attainable goal.

Also CK2. Boy is my current dynasty taking a nosedive. I started as petty king of Cornwall and expanded over 4 generations to become the king of wales with the southcoast to boot. Then I tried to usurp a duchy title from someone in my kingdom… and now I’m a 13 year old count with an ongoing occupation. Greed! That’s the moral of this story.

3. bandertroll says:

BoI, Rampage Knights, Dota 2, HoMM3, Rocket League, may be another try of Hyper Light Drifter.

4. King_Rocket says:

Playing some Forza, I’m not loving it but I’m not hating it either. Hopefully I will form an opinion soon so either I will start loving it or stop playing it all together.

• Uncompetative says:

Going down every road is strangely compulsive although you may end up scouring the map on zoom to spot a layby you have missed to get 488/488.

5. melnificent says:

Particle Fleet: Emergence. The (pre-)sequel to Creeper World 3 that hit steam this week. Just like CW3 I can’t stop playing.

6. Barberetti says:

Co-op 7 Days To Die. A friend and I have been trying out the alpha 15 experimental build during the week and are enjoying it more than the last couple of versions for the most part. We haven’t got as far as building mini bikes yet though, so as far as I know they’re still buggy as fuck.

The UI is still the most bland dull pile of shit ever. I’ll never like it. The old one was much better. The mountains of crafting/levelling they added in v13 is mind-numbingly boring, but the survival aspects of the game make up for it. I suspect when all is said and done, my go to version of the game will be a heavily modded alpha 12, as it has all the survival/combat/construction fun of the current version, with none of the boring shit added.

Aitrus says:

I started a new Fallout 4 playthrough. This’ll be my second main quest playthrough and I’m planning on siding with the Institute after chilling with the Brotherhood for a while. I downloaded the ReGrowth forestation mod (gorgeous) and a no-enemies-or-location-markers-on-compass mod.

Lack of enemies on your compass is amazingly better, particularly if you’re also playing without music. You can get jumped by a ghoul any time, anywhere. You can think you’ve killed everyone only to walk around a corner and have three more enemies attack you. There’s a lot more surprise involved. Playing without location markers makes the game feel less claustrophobic, discovery is more natural, and it promotes being immersed in the world/roleplaying instead of icon hunting.

Also Overwatch.

• ButteringSundays says:

Sounds like a good mod for all modern RPGs. Iconhunting is the scourge of our times – might as well do away with the 3d environment altogether half the time!

zinzan says:

Could not agree more. Mini-Maps , icons, radar thingies (whatever you whippersnappers want to call them) take a HUUUUGE amount of the fun out of many (most) FPS,RPG type games for me. I just love wandering around trying to work out what and where things are, making notes (either in-game journel or pen & paper).

8. TillEulenspiegel says:

I’m playing the “impatiently waiting for Stardew Valley 1.1” game.

Also maybe finally starting Witcher 3.

• Rich says:

Start the Witcher 3. It’s the most engaging game I’ve played in years.

• Jonfon says:

60 hours into Witcher. Apparently just finished Act 1 and only half way. Send help (or just some provisions)

• McGuit says:

Witcher 3 for me too. Going on 100 hours, just taking my time in Novigrad doing every single question mark and having fun.
          Best game I’ve played in the last 10 years and I’ve played a lot of them. It’s not perfect, but it is pretty darn close.
          Glad I finally made the plunge and got of the Witching train.
          All aboard.

9. Spacewalk says:

I’m playing hard to get. And some Playstation games on the side.

TehK says:

Since it’s a long weeked here in Germany with an extra holiday on monday, I have set three main gaming goals:

– Elite: Get back inhabited space after 44k light years of travelling
    – Talos Principle: Finish it.
    – Divinity: Original Sin (Enhanced Edition): Finish it.

I might be playing Duelyst though.

11. Scott says:

This weekend, I’ll be helping out at an in-game event on Guild Wars 2 EU servers, which is being held by the RPS guild. Full details are here:

link to rockpapershotgun.com

Kicks off at 16:00 today (Saturday), UK time. Anyone’s welcome, providing you can download the game by then!

12. Chorltonwheelie says:

Might play a COD … Just to annoy grumpy old John.

13. Turkey says:

I’ve been thinking of hitting the arcade and playing the pinball machine based on the license of me, but some alien bastards just shot up my ride and I really don’t have time to play with myself.

14. zsd says:

Puttering around with the Bioshock 2 remaster while trying to muster the motivation to keep teaching myself Blender.

Research in Bioshock 2 really is the silliest thing, using all of your attacks at once for more points, but plasmid roulette is kind of shockingly effective as a combat tactic.

15. Necrourgist says:

Driving to my parent’s hometown by train (from the city out into the countryside) and walking 6 kilometeres by foot. Does that count as gaming? I guess not… Let me paraphrase it… I am playing a real life walking simulator this weekend while having the bestest german autumn weather (grey sky, rain, cold, mud, yellow leaves and dead trees) Simply and utterly beautiful :)

16. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

PES 2017! It is flipping great, and I am wholly absorbed/addicted in a worringly similar way to that time I didn’t finish my degree because of PES/Football Manager. Hm, oh well!

Season 2 of getting Auxerre back to the heady heights of European cup football. We’re still ligue 2 but riding high at the top half a season in after a year of getting in some useful players and me learning the controls. The 16 year old Ricardo Carvalho is bossing my defence thanks to the retired players regenerating Dr Who style the next year. Fun times.

Also Devil Daggers. Picked it p in the humble bundle and struggling to break the 2 min barrier. Close though.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

168! Woohoo!

Erayos says:

The players regenerating Doctor Who style might be the reason why I’ve got a 16 years old player called “P.Crouch” with a 2m03 height who scores everytime I even cross the ball but doesn’t really look like the real Peter Crouch.

I didn’t know about this, but it definitely makes sense.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

That’ll be the one. I overlooked him in favour of an S.Pienaar who’s getting called up to the South Africa team despite being 16 and mostly sat on my bench.

Look out for T.Henry too, he’s not that Henry, he’s too white and stocky, but he’s a cracking forward especially in the air

Vandelay says:

I’ll be continuing with the rather excellent C# YouTube tutorials from Brackeys, as part of me learning Unity. I had been doing the official Unity tutorials, but the coding side was not overly good at explaining what you are doing and the thinking behind constructing code for someone like myself who had very little experience. The Brackeys tutorials are much better at explaining how to put code together and end with a little simple challenge at the end of each video that lets you put the theme of the episode into practice yourself. Actually feel like I am learning something now, rather than just copying what I am told to write.

Actual games I will probably play a little Pillars of Eternity. I last left it after descending a large sacrificial pit, seemingly with no way back up. Taking this route seems to have skipped some sections and genuinely a bit nervous about what I am going to encounter and whether I will be able to fight them.

• malkav11 says:

That is as far as I can tell the endgame point-of-no-return, so, yeah.

Vandelay says:

Oh, it certainly isn’t the endgame. This is for the Endless Paths side missions. Going down the pit has just skipped me through the middle section, I believe (well, I have the achievement for completing the first five levels and the next achievement is to complete the middle five levels.)

I only have 12 hours recorded on Steam and I know 2 or 3 of those are it just being left open, so I don’t think I am anywhere near the endgame yet.

• Vedharta says:

C# is the end point of no return? no there are far darker paths….

magogjack says:

I just did that a few days ago and had to go back on my previous save after like two hours of scraps. I just couldn’t make it back out again, slowed down about midway through the fourth floor….I was weak….

18. Someoldguy says:

Lots of better games I should be playing, but I’ll mostly be trying to avoid wasting money on in-app purchases for Star Trek Timelines.

19. aircool says:

FIFA 17 & Elder Scrolls Online.

I’ll be using my Nvidia Shield TV box to stream FIFA to my big-ass TV downstairs

heretic says:

Hitman, the new episode is quite fun!

21. Vedharta says:

Finally started on Witcher 3: Blood & Wine, holy shit is this beautiful (on Ultra + 5k resolution).

For some reason the thought struck me, even with all the ruckus about the W3 CGI/Preview trailers not matching up to the released game, this still looks better then many other games CGI cutscenes and trailers….

And then the storyline itself, great stuff :-D

22. Llewyn says:

Same as last weekend: WoW and The Crew. Thankfully my real diet’s healthier than my gaming one.

23. LionEyez says:

I’m playing Makai Kingdom on PSP (or: Phantom Kingdom Portable) with the translation patch so I have some idea of what I’m doing. It’s great. I have a mudman walking around with a drill arm twice his size and a guy with a bazooka vs mostly sword and axe enemies. Muhaha.

24. dangermouse76 says:

Why in the name of Thor’s pants is there not a cancel all supply lines option for Fallout 4. You have to go find the individuals and re-assign them. AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGH!

Ninja Dodo says:

Torn between starting Witcher 3 Blood & Wine, Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, or continuing Luigi’s Mansion on the 3DS or more No Man’s Sky. Also been meaning to get back to Alien Isolation and Shadow of Mordor at some point, and The Witness. Too many games!

• Uncompetative says:

The Witness is revelatory. I wasn’t able to complete the final timed challenge but I thoroughly enjoyed it none the less. Don’t expect too much of a metaphyical pay-off from those audio logs. Thankfully, the game is good enough without them.

Ninja Dodo says:

I really like it. I prefer to play it on and off, just dipping into it and solving a few puzzles then letting it be when I get stuck rather than look up a solution. I haven’t encountered the audio logs yet so maybe I’m still not very far into the game but I have unlocked a few of the laser towers.

26. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Close to finishing the Nuka-World DLC for Fallout 4, which I’ve been enjoying quite a bit. If you ever get the chance, do a playthrough where your character is perpetually drunk, has the Idiot Savant perk, and always picks the sarcastic dialogue options. I didn’t realize until recently that being drunk causes your character to slur things like “‘SCUSE ME” when interacting with NPCs (you’ll get similar interjections when skipping dialogue), and it’s been cracking me up.

Much of the dialogue in Fallout 4 is pretty dull, in the Bethesda way of being strictly functional rather than trying to convey any kind of humanity, but I do love what Courtenay Taylor did with the protagonist. There are a lot of moments where she almost seems to realize that she’s the protagonist of a Bethesda game, with all the privilege and exasperation that implies. And the moments where she takes on some kind of persona (like pretending to be a cowboy in Nuka-World, or the Silver Shroud dialogue options in the main game) are hilariously over the top. There’s a general sense that she’s in on a joke that none of the other NPCs are smart enough to get, and a state of constant sarcastic drunkenness fits that tone pretty well.

Also, Nuka-World has reaffirmed by belief that absolutely no one does world design better than Bethesda. Their ability to conjure an endless parade of interesting encounters, all while making the player feel like they have total agency the whole while, is nothing short of magic. There just aren’t any other games that make me feel like this.

Once that’s done I’ll probably jump into the System Rift DLC for Mankind Divided (the game has some problems, mostly with the writing, but I love the gameplay and aesthetics too much to care), and maybe continue making my way through the free starter edition of Diablo 3, which I’m enjoying immensely so far. Never played a game like this (outside of Borderlands I guess), but it has that signature level of Blizzard polish where every single interaction with the game just feels right. Might have to spring for the full game once the demo ends.

27. Dolphan says:

I’ll be digging into this year’s sampling of short-form interactive fiction, as I’ve recently been binging on a chunk of the IF canon and IFComp 2016 launches today.

Ben King says:

I am housesitting with no PC or laptop so no games at all this weekend, BUT: I slept for 11 hrs and had a really vivid dream that I was hired by Hideo Kojima, Guillermo Del Toro, and Norman Reedus to work at their HQ which looked like a Solid Snake mission to infiltrate Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory. Then I rescued a violin out of the middle of the street and the owner was a super cute woman. It was an AWESOME dream. So that’s kinda like gaming.

29. GibletHead2000 says:

I’m still playing Rimworld. I was introduced to it by a friend a couple of weeks ago, and they persuaded me to buy it despite my usual reservations about early access. Wasn’t disappointed, but it’s very addictive and I’ve played nothing else since.

30. fish99 says:

Who knows. I don’t know. Do you know? If so let me know and I’ll save some time by installing it.

31. derbefrier says:

Forza Horizon 3. I think its probably the best open world racer out there. I love it. Forza on PC is as awesome as I always knew it would be.

32. malkav11 says:

I’ll be at least dipping into Marvel Heroes today because there’s a promo on where you get Luke Cage for logging in today only (because Netflix’s Luke Cage show just came out). I already have him but a free ultimate upgrade isn’t too shabby. I’ll also be dipping into Hex to raredraft and run, probably. Might do a bit of Arena, might not.

I anticipate the majority of my gaming time being taken up with Mankind Divided this week, as I’ve gotten hooked again and finally more or less completed my obsessive map-scouring for secrets and loot, plus done all the initial side quests, so I’ve actually gotten around to starting the main plot, and even headed to Golem City, where I left off.

Probably still going to play some Legion as well, though. And maybe read a bit more of Steins;Gate, which is proving to be very odd. And planning session for an online Dungeon World campaign on Sunday. Whee.

33. Disgruntled Goat says:

[checks hard drive to see if Civilization VI is installed on it yet]

[wipes away a dejected tear]

[loads up EUIV again]

34. Ejia says:

In the course of playing through the ol’ Steam backlog I’m doing Star Ruler, which looks like it mashes together the 4X fiddlyness of Space Empires/GalCiv with the perma-RTS of Sins of a Solar Empire. Rather small tech tree, and I keep getting hammered by enemy gigantoships, but otherwise fun enough.

35. Symarian says:

Trying to get into Dark Souls 3 for the umpteenth time. I just want to be a rad pyromancer, goddammit.

36. Monggerel says:

Half-Life 1, probably. My only experiences with the game are Black Mesa and Freeman’s Mind. Curious to see what I missed.

gritz says:

Finished off Limbo and the Day of the Tentacle Remaster, so my brain is kind of broken right now. I need something dumb and smashy for the rest of the weekend.

38. Michael Fogg says:

Picked up my old favourite, Serious Sam Second Encounter on gog for a few pennies. Made it halfway through the Tower of Babel level on Hard difficulty. This is clearly one of the most perfect fps games ever devised, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to push through…

39. Massenstein says:

Thanks to you, RPS crew and especially Alice, I know I will be playing Devil Daggers and seeing flying skulls whereever I go.

40. Chairman_Meow says:

Lichtspeer! Strudel and headshots for days! Proving once and for all I’m a teutonic dynamo, the bane of hipster giants and penguin vikings. The penguin vikings are just the wurst.

41. Rikstam says:

Bought Empyrion- Galactic Survival and Overwatch, as I had pay day. Empyrion is bit rough, slow-to-start and requires patience, but still has lots of potential and fun to be had. Overwatch is, on the contrary uber-polished, just pick a character, hop in and start shooting.

42. BebopBraunbaer says:

Battlerite and maybe some “Earthlock: festival of magic”

particlese says:

Got a friend a copy of Flat Heros last week, so when he and his wife hosted a party, it was all the girls very loudly watching college football, the kids running and jumping all over the place, and the four dudes laughing our arses off playing Flat Heroes. It really strongly reminds me of the fun of Bomberman back in the SNES multitap days.

We also played Rocket League, half of us for the first time, and it was also quite fun, but it didn’t cause quite the riot that Flat Heroes did.

particlese says:

Oh, and there has bafflingly been no Devil Daggers for the past half a week, so I’m going to have to fix that stat.

44. geldonyetich says:

I’m playing, “Upgrade to an SSD.”

Until I get it to recognize it in AHCI mode, I have yet to win at this game.

Comment on this story