Masquerada: Songs And Shadows Is Finally Here

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows [official site] takes me back to those shining days where I could mess about and play games like Arcanum and Nox all the time without worrying about paying bills. I still do those things, but bills are an unfortunate part of my daily life now. Soon, I imagine, Masquerada will be as well, as the tactical RPG is out.

The release trailer shows off some particularly colorful graphic novel-like cut scenes as well as what seems like a fairly complex narrative by way of Witching Hour Games (who you might know from their Ravenmark mobile games). Personally, I really dig the faux-cel shading and costumes as well as the tactical combat system, where you can pause the action while planning your next move. Hey, there’s also a flaming scythe. That’s something I can certainly get behind.

Its voice cast includes Matthew Mercer (Leon S. Kennedy) and Jennifer Hale (Commander Shepard, and nearly everyone else in everything) too.

You can pick up Masquerada: Songs and Shadows on Steam and GOG now for Windows and Mac. It costs £18.99/22,99€/$24.99 on Steam and a bit more on GOG.

[Disclosure: Former RPS contributor Cassandra Khaw currently works with publishers Ysbryd Games.]

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. quotidian says:

Looks interesting, your steam link is broken though. Goes to the wrong game.

• DOTvu says:

I’d like to believe that this is some ploy to get more people into Battlerite because of how addicting it is.

• Cerulean Shaman says:

I was thinking the same thing, lol! Was about to say “Or is it the wrong game…?”

Anyways, this looks fantastic. Thanks for the heads up.

• quotidian says:

Well, I’d never heard of Battlerite before and now I have, which from the sound of things may be a problem :)

• ODAE says:

There seams to be an outbreak of misplaced verbs around here! Addicting is a verb, just like driving and chopping. Addictive is an adjective, which is what should have been used. You can become addicted, have something which is addictive or you can actively be addicting yourself to something.

Basic English lesson over. Please feel free to crusade.

• MisterFurious says:

I’ve seen people using ‘addicting’ on the web for a while now. I don’t know why other than “people are stupid”.

• Darth Gangrel says:

That’s defiantly the reason why (oops, sorry, I mean “definitely”).

2. EvilSnake says:

Masquerada is almost everything I’ve ever wanted from an RPG, but Tides, its checkpoint save system drives me crazy.

It’s almost as bad as the one Shadowrun Returns had originally. Lost a battle after winning the other two in the same zone? Well, how about you fight your way through all of them all over again, that would be fun! Don’t forget to skip that cutscene you’ve already seen along with all the dialogue you’ve already heard more than once. Every. Single. Time.

Other than that the game is amazing. It has everything: good writing, engaging story, amazing music and voice acting, beautiful scenery, intense combat. But the checkpoints, man, the checkpoints!

• aepervius says:

And the game is getting rightfully panned for it. A pity because it looked great if not for this problem.

I don’t get why in 2016 some studio find it so hard to have a proper savegame system, or heck far more checkpoint if one want to use this hold back from the past.

• shagen454 says:

You didn’t think it was too linear?

• EvilSnake says:

I don’t mind experiencing a linear story once in a while, if said story is good, just as I don’t mind reading books. We have enough branching narrative that goes nowhere and offers nothing new or special as it is, really. Besides, so far the battles in Masquerada are varied enough to keep me interested gameplay wise. Sure, a linear story offers little in terms of replayability, but to be honest I don’t replay my games all that often anyway.
        …Unless a game forces me to play through parts of it over and over and over again, and that game is not something purely skill-based (e.g. Dark Souls). Honestly, I fell in love with Masquerada the moment I saw it, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to finish it if the saves are not fixed somehow.

3. MikoSquiz says:

The storytelling seems awfully seriouspants for a cartoony fantasy brawler.

4. Emeraude says:

This one doesn’t seem to be gaining any traction. Too bad, looks interesting.

Comment on this story