Serious Sam VR Jacking Into Early Access This Month

As much as I think the current wave of VR is a fad, mate, even I wouldn’t down turn waving my hands as two giant ridiculous guns in Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope [official site]. Well, I wouldn’t if cybergoggles worked properly with my eyes. Anyway! Point is: the virtual reality spin-off from Croteam’s silly FPS series is coming to Steam Early Access on October 17th, publishers Devolver Digital announced today. That’s a bit later than its planned summer launch but hey, you’ll get to wave your cannonhands, yeah? Focus on what’s important.

Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope doesn’t have the circle-strafing and backpedalling of the original games, probably because the speed would make you vom your guts out your cyberears. Instead, you stand there gunning down the waves of monsters charging at your cyberface, in that usual VR wave shooter way. And then, honking great bosses.

Croteam expect the game will be in early access for about six months, though it may take longer new levels, environments, enemies, bosses, weapons, power-ups, and a skill tree, gathering and responding to player feedback all the while.

It’ll initially be on HTC Vive, but will come to Oculus Rift once its own Oculus Touch motion controllers arrive.

Serious Sam VR will cost 39,99€ (haven’t seen US and UK prices confirmed yet), which does sound a touch expensive for an arcade game already demanding expensive hardware. But hey, if this wave of VR is a fad for squillionaires, why not?

From this site

1. Kefren says:

I had my first experience of VR yesterday! I found out a new shop had opened near me and you could pay to try it out (link to vrland.co.uk in my case, but I bet others spring up). HTC Vive, room perfectly set up (soft tiles, with colours delineating the large safe area and starting point, seats nearby for friends with a big monitor so they can see what you see).

I took my family, we had great fun, and I can now understand the social side even though only one plays at a time – we laughed a lot. In fact, my mother was practically having a fit when I tried Audio Shield with the song Gangnam Style on hard … Lots of fun experiences, and the feeling of “being there” is as good as I’d hoped: maybe even _too much_ on a rollercoaster sim thing. I had to kneel down, I really thought I’d fall over otherwise.

I still think I’d just like a sit-down headset for sims at home, without all the gadgets and peripherals, but it was certainly fun, and I don’t mind paying for a social experience like that – lots cheaper than buying myself the kit and a new PC. I’ll probably take other friends who have heard me going on about VR and have no idea what it means.

2. Sakkura says:

It’s not a fad, but the current batch of wave shooters and tech demos is. Now that Playstation VR and Oculus Touch is launching, VR content should start to mature. But it doesn’t happen overnight.

• Scripten says:

Very much this. While a lot of the tech demos are just that, there are some very neat experiences coming out in the VR world. The studio behind the Brookhaven Experiment and that Island ### game with dinosaurs seems to be pretty good at coming up with VR games that feel like “real” games.

It’s not unthinkable that we could start seeing historical/fantasy/sci-fi 4X games where you physically move armies on a strategy table, then go over to your crystal ball/computer screen/what-have-you to watch the ensuing battles. There’s a lot of potential with VR, especially the Vive.

• Xzi says:

If you think it’s just wave shooters so far, you’re wrong. I suggest Left-Hand Path, Pool Nation VR, Tabletop Simulator, HoloBall, Onward, A Legend of Luca, Light Repair Team #4, Metroid Prime 3 with Dolphin VR…you get the point. People without headsets will tell you that VR owners are unhappy with what we have to play with right at this moment. I’m one voice at least saying that I couldn’t be happier with my Vive. It’s insane how good VR is for generation fucking one, especially with newer GPUs being able to upscale.

• MajorLag says:

At the same time, the fact that you bought it at its current high buy-in biases you towards liking it (to justify the expense, you see), so how can we trust your judgement?

3. xGryfter says:

If you think VR is still a fad given all the data to the contrary you probably shouldn’t be writing for a gaming/tech site. I can understand you not understanding why it isn’t a fad being as that you can’t/haven’t experienced it but your inability to partake in something doesn’t automatically negate its usefulness/entertainment value for the rest of the world.

• Scripten says:

I can understand the feeling, despite not agreeing with it and having a VR headset of my own. VR games are still fairly segregated from the rest of the industry. The only game with native, generally solid VR support that I’ve played is Elite: Dangerous. (Though, I have found the VR component necessary for full enjoyment of the game.) From the inside, the real progress in Vr is obvious. From outside, not so much, I’d wager.

• Sakkura says:

I would say the hard data so far doesn’t prove anything one way or the other. Vive and Rift sold a bunch of preordered units, then it slowed WAY down.

• Alice O'Connor says:

All data is about the present, in which VR is absolutely a fad. A flashy one, which some very rich people have thrown an awful lot of money at, but one with hasn’t become much beyond an exciting idea for a while. Almost everyone I know with cybergoggles now keeps them in the box on a shelf. Let’s try once again in a few years, yeah?

• Sakkura says:

A fad is something temporary, so data about the present cannot prove (or disprove) that VR is a fad.

• Fiatil says:

RPS has become my go to for reading people say curmudgeonly old man lines about VR. Between Graham’s (I believe) line about being paranoid about his neighbors seeing him with the headset on through his upstairs window, and Alice’s line about not wanting to try one at a convention for fear of it messing up her “cool hair”, it’s been a riot.

Can’t agree with people on everything I suppose!

• Alice O'Connor says:

For the record, I have tried several models and sets of Rift across several games and had a good go on Vive a few times.

VR still has not solved its ‘cool hair’ problem.

Ericusson says:

Wearing a huge helmet like thingie keeps VR as an amusement fair or Pattaya walking street thingie, or a solitary at home adventure if you don’t have a family minding you just totally cut yourself off from them for an extended period (which would mean this would pretty soon be a solitary life for you soon).

This formula will never reach mass market, combined with the pricing.
      Who knows in the future with huge technological leaps and more powerful handheld device what will happen but the short term is just a niche market for these huge headsets.

• Xzi says:

“huge headsets”

Somebody didn’t live through 80s and 90s tech, lol. Even in 2016 I think it’s insane that they were able to get the HMDs down to just 1.5 lbs. Neither the weight nor the size is what’s holding current VR back.

• Fiatil says:

There’s a bit of a misnomer put there that VR is a completely solitary experience that depends upon total sensory deprivation. It really isn’t! Most of my Vive time is spent with the audio coming from my speakers, the video mirrored on my desktop, and my roommate or a friend in the room watching and switching off. It’s a lot more of a social experience than people assume.

Elusiv3Pastry says:

For 39,99€ it better have a lengthy campaign.

5. cablechip says:

It’ll initially be on HTC Vive, but while come to Oculus Rift as well its own Oculus Touch motion controllers arrive.

I think you a couple of misplaced there words.

6. milligna says:

A fad? You’re saying that in 2016? Weak sauce.

7. Uberwolfe says:

Who cares if you think it’s a fad? Like, make your point once and then move on. Sick of damn journalists having to reaffirm their stance in EVERY ARTICLE they write relating to VR.

Just report the damn news and save your opinions for reviews.

Ericusson says:

Maybe read another website then ?

• MajorLag says:

Yes, how dare they infuriate you by having an opinion contradictory to your own which you are highly defensive about for some reason!

8. fish99 says:

I feel like the price of VR has been a loss of movement and environment in most of the games so far. Either you’re in a very confined space, or you move by teleporting, or you just don’t move at all. The exception seem to be Onward which lets you move on an analogue stick, but then people say the movement makes them feel ill. I feel like the biggest thing holding VR back, apart from the obvious (getting it into the hands of more people), is the developers not being sure how to best use it.

9. rustybroomhandle says:

faaaaa aaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaa aa aaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaad!

10. tremulant says:

Owning VR equipment appears to make people awfully angry and unreasonable, not to mention desperate for content, think I’ll give such stuff a miss for now.