Jack Into A Shinier, Newer Uplink With This Mod

Introversion Software’s 2001 hackathon Uplink [official site] is one of the most enjoyable depictions of real-world hacking in the realm of gaming. If you love Mr. Robot as much as I do, you probably remember playing through this relic back when it came out. It also happens to be one of our best ten hacking, coding and computer games.

In short, you’re really missing out if you haven’t played it. Heck, even if you have, you’ll want to pay close attention to what I’m about to say next. Uplink OS is a total graphical overhaul for the original game, and it’s now out. Yes, 15 long years after Introversion first released Uplink, the game has an unofficial facelift. Have a look in this video:

The mod offers a slick new interface for the game as well as other aesthetic tweaks that look great, as you can tell in the trailer above. Cpt. McBacon, the project’s mastermind, should be proud. I’m certainly moved to give it a try.

You can download the beta from ModDB for the Steam and GOG versions of Uplink. Do be aware that it’s still in beta, and may suffer problems like a crash bug that was just patched out. It’s not compatible with old saves either.

From this site

1. RedViv says:

Oh wow, that is GORGEOUS.

2. Legion1183 says:

Looks interesting, never played this game but may just have to give it a shot.

3. Gunrun says:

Little sad they’ve replaced the worldmap with some weird looking cube, but other than that, man, it looks neat. Old Uplink wasn’t really designed with modern resolutions in mind so everything gets indecypherably tiny especially on a 4k monitor.

• C0llic says:

i was just about to say this. I love the changes overall from the look of it. The dial-up tone is great for a rush of nostalgia, but it doesn’t fulfil the aim of immersion in the broadband age. I want the world map back though, that’s still a cool conceit to me.

• C0llic says:

Hello! I am the system administrator. My voice is my passport. Verify me.

• shde2e says:

Just remember to delete InterNIC logs and bounce the trace through every single server in existence!

• Tudor C. Stamate says:

Thank you very much!
      I hear you about the map. My thoughts behind it were to tie it into the Mod’s logo and that it was also more abstract, something representative of the globalized, corporation run world of Uplink. Anyhoo, will probably add an option to choose a preferred map.

Cheers!

RaveTurned says:

Oh wow, that looks pretty awesome. I didn’t realise people were still working on Uplink. Man, I remember when it first came out…

… wait, 15 years?

I… I need time to process this.

• RedViv says:

We’re old, buddy. Shriveled husks of human beings.

• Otterley says:

But within us, a semblance of life lingers yet. Pushing us on inexorably from day to day.

• Mcshufts says:

I was still at college. I bought the original version with the hidden booklet behind the case.

• Scurra says:

OMG. This can’t be true. It is true. I don’t believe it. I honestly didn’t know about that! I now feel like an idiot of the first order…

• Sizeable Dirk says:

And 10 years since DEFCON (when I “discovered” them myself)… 👴 6 years since they stopped working on that procedural heist sim and started on Prison Architect.

I believe they released the source code as a Developer CD and it was included in their Humble bundle, along with the Darwinia/Multiwinia and DEFCON sources.
      Best possible thing you can do to keep the games playable and fit for modern hardware, for as long as there are fans alive at least. Time though…

• Maxheadroom says:

I remember buying this when it first came out and the only place you could buy it was direct from the developer.

It came with a hand written note thanking me for buying it. Still have it somewhere.

One day when Introvision have turned into a corporate monster and Uplink is an annual po-faced first person manshooter I’ll dig it out, read it and have a little cry

• shde2e says:

You could remember that? I could barely even walk back then!

It’s pretty fun though. But I probably won’t play it, since i’ve pretty much exhausted the game already.

5. Drib says:

Part of the appeal of Uplink was that 90’s hacker movie looking screen and everything. Taking that out and replacing it with a decent interface almost makes it lose something, doesn’t it?

• DanMan says:

That’s why I was thinking, too. *shrug*

• Tacroy says:

On the other hand, the game is now playable on a modern screen…

• Haxton Fale says:

There are ways to make it run on higher resolutions, and the UI is happy to adapt.

• Tudor C. Stamate says:

I do understand that, but I sacrificed it for usability. If that was a good idea, it remains to be seen.
      The Mod does however support themes, so maybe somebody will do an old-school one just for that!
      Cheers!

6. Shmian says:

If this mod removes the asinine requirement to delete every text form prompt in the game (I’m looking at you, “username” and “password”), I’ll consider it. If there’s a better example of immersion-breaking busywork in an otherwise lauded game, I can’t think of one.

7. Kestrel says:

Very cool! Will definitely check this out. I love Uplink. If I recall, I think I always hit a brick wall in the late game that prevented me from finishing. Also, weren’t there bugs that hindered progression?

8. internisus says:

Don’t get me wrong–this is exciting, but is it really only cosmetic? I love Uplink but always felt it had unmet potential. It needs the equivalent of Homeworld’s Complex mod. I used to keep tabs on some mod projects, but they never seemed to get finished; maybe this will reinitialize interest.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I can personally recommend the “Onlink” mod, which is pretty much exactly that, and which somebody on this here site pointed me at years ago. Can’t remember who. But whoever they were, they made my day.

9. Synesthesia says:

Damn, this looks nice. Has anyone got it to work on OSX?

• Otterley says:

Nah, it’s Uplink OS-only, I’m afraid :/

• Tudor C. Stamate says:

Unfortunately, the Uplink source only includes the Windows and Linux versions of the game (I think there’s something to do with who did the Mac version). In any case, I barely got around to doing the Windows version! :(

10. Kaeoschassis says:

Damn. Just

DAMN.

That is mighty pretty. The original’s UI was pretty for its time, I’ve always felt, but this is absolutely gorgeous. If the guy who made this doesn’t already have a job making UIs for someone then he’d better get one off the back of this mod. Especially considering the sheer number of games with awful UIs out there…

I haven’t played Uplink in ages, but just hearing that soundtrack again was enough to tell me that yes, I need to go back and do it again. I actually beat it (only the lawful ending, as far as I remember) once, but it was so long ago that I’m sure I’ve forgotten enough tricks for it to be fun again.

• Tudor C. Stamate says:

Aw, shucks, man! You’re making me all giggly!
      As it happens, I do have a job as a graphic artist and have been dabbling in UIs for some time, but mostly for “grunt” work, so to speak.

Thanks a lot for the kind words and I hope you’ll enjoy the Mod! <3

11. Crimsoneer says:

Oooooh this is exciting. I fell hopelessly in love with Uplink as a kid.

12. Tudor C. Stamate says:

First of all, seeing this on RPS made a tad shitty year into a most glorious one! Thank you very much Brittany! <3

Second of all, thanks to everyone of you! Yes, Oprah-style-everyone!

The biggest hurdle now, for the project, is to make it actually playable from start to finish. There are a lot of bugs still to be squashed under the weight of my barely average programming skills. So please have some patience! Please?

Thanks again and keep an eye out on the page or the forum thread for news about the Mod!

Cheers!
    Tudor.

• Tudor C. Stamate says:

I just realized that I botched the text links. Ahem, I’m trying again:

Thanks again and keep an eye out on the Moddb page or the Steam forum thread for news about the Mod!

• Michael Anson says:

I have to say, I love the aesthetic. My only concern is how the apps are all inherently floating free. Would it be possible to have containers to drop them into, so you could move several apps in a group?