Horror Fans: Outlast 2 Demo Is Out Now, Has Corn

“The horror,” said famous army colonel Walter Kurtz. “The survival horror.” Outlast 2 [official site] will have some of that, by the looks of things, and good news for impatient people who like to be scared: it has a demo out today. It’s a short one at 10-15 minutes and will be familiar to anyone who saw the footage from PAX. But for those of you who were disappointed to hear about the sequel’s delay into 2017, it is something to enjoy in time for spoooooky Halloween.

You can get the demo on Steam, where it weighs in at a hefty 8 gigabytes despite it’s brevity.

In the first Outlast you played as an investigative journalist caught in a creepy asylum. This time Red Barrels are going down the bloodthirsty red-neck cultists route. Playing as (another, different) investigative journo called Blake Langermann, you crashland in the Arizona desert with your wife and journo-in-arms, and end up getting chased and harassed by scary people who are also probably very ignorant because they live on a farm.

As before you’ll have a trusty camera with night-vision mode and some less trusty batteries. Run, hide and sob with fear through cornfields, high schools and abandoned cabins, looking for the wife who got separated from you after the crash. Calling it now: you were dead all along. You have “gone to live on the farm”.

(The farm is hell)

Ben did our Outlast review and came away with a nervous smile and a shaking hand gesturing a thumbs-up, all in spite of the clichéd setting and copious jump scares. Hopefully, the sequel can please fans of the jitters in the same way but we won’t know for sure until the early months of next year. Until then, enjoy the green-tinted terror.

From this site

1. Drib says:

Another thing to watch on LPs. I’m too much of a quivering little coward to ever make it through games like this. Minecraft has me on edge in dark caves already.

• tonicer says:

Tbh Minecraft can be very scary. Even if you are clad in high level enchanted amour with amazing weaponry … that sudden change from calm mining and exploring of a cave system to a frantic fight with a group of skeletons while two creepers sneak up on you gets the Adrenalin pumping.

2. racccoon says:

Being its far more fun & easier to watch the youtube vids on this! The most annoying thing about doing that is, these days most narrators like stick their ugly heads in the scene! Please just loose the faces! we don’t want to see your friggin head all the through the gameplay! Just narrate!

3. Shakes999 says:

The first Outlast was fun but wore out its welcome the last 2-3 hours. Once the suspense is gone, things got really tedious. Could have benefited from trimming some sections.

• Manburger says:

I enjoyed Outlast quite a bit, but I do agree that it would have benefited from brevity. Once you get used to its brand of horror it doesn’t really pack the same punch.

I can see how it can degenerate into a feeling of “oh I guess I’m just stumblin’ in the dark looking for another button to press or key to pick up woops gotta hide in a closet. spooky, right.”

That being said, I liked this demo and found it spooky (right) even though perhaps it is leaning on similar tricks & tropes. And I am looking forward to playing the full version!
      It is visually very impressive, and the movement and full body sensation is still great and sold well. Which is important when you’ve got a lotta runnin’ ta do.

4. tonicer says:

Meh nothings as scary as Subnautica. I played all the “horror” games out there and nothing scared me even slightly … but when i dive into the depths and catch a glimpse of something huge in the corner of my vision i have to pause the game for a while.

• Congo says:

I used to think outlast was scary, but after playing Emily Wants to Play, in VR, I have been scared so bad by a game that I no longer even want to play it. I played it twice, and I dont even want to play it again.

5. ZedClampet says:

The last part of this is level design masterpiece. Loved it.