Follow Us On Steam Curators For Ongoing PC Game Recommendations

Haven’t done this in a while, so just a nudge. It’s not always easy to separate our IMPORTANT AND 100% OBJECTIVELY CORRECT OPINIONS from news and whatnot here on RPS, but if you’re ever unsure what to play next, you’ve got a couple of options. There’s our Wot I Think reviews database on the site here, or you could follow us on Steam curators to see the games we recommend pop in in your Steam feed, shopping suggestions and so forth.

There are already hundreds of recommendations on the list for games both new and old, and there’s going to be even more of that in the future – new games as we review ’em, and legacy stuff from the vast and ancient vaults of PC gaming. We’ve been playing PC games since you were knee-high to a gnoll, so rest assured there’ll be no clunkers. Unless they’re really, really entertaining clunkers.

We make no distinction between ‘indie’ and big budget, and nor is there any third-party influence whatsoever on what we recommend – it’s simply the games that our writers really dig. Each entry also has a link to our original write-up so you can find out more.

To follow, just click the big green button on the top right of this page. That’s it. Doing so will, of course, grant us complete control over every aspect of your life.

From this site

1. mepto says:

I really wish the gaming community, and the “big” magazines and sites as such, would start getting away from focusing on steam and only steam steam steam. Steam is primarily DRM and was successful due to DRM as well as proliferating DRM acceptance in gaming worldwide. Stop giving them your communities, your time, your curations. The platform is still called “PC”, although valve made a good effort of equating it with the s-word.

• gwop_the_derailer says:

So you are hoping Valve’s service will… run out of steam?

• hungrycookpot says:

I wouldn’t say Steam is primarily a DRM…. It’s primarily a distribution channel and storefront. There are lots of games on Steam that don’t have DRM and can be launched without the platform once installed. I was a long-time holdout from Steam, because I didn’t have many internets and having to download day 1 patches annoyed me. But going into the future, we will always be dealing with some online distribution channel, and as far as those go, Steam has given back a lot to the PC gaming world. And as far as DRMs go, Steam is pretty unintrusive when it’s used. It never locks games to a machine or installation, you never lose your keys/rights to the game, I don’t really see the complaint there.

• mepto says:

Well, sorry but you’re wrong. Not only has steam become successful thanks to amongst others half-life 2’s steam binding – very clever trick, congrats you money-hungry bastards -, it’s the very source and inspiration for all the other DRM “services” that we have now. All steam has really given us is DRM. Modding? Lol, like they didn’t exist before.

The important distinction is DRM from online store. Nobody is bothered by it being an online store. We that hate steam hate it for its DRM, which in itself is NEVER required for software or a store to work.

As for its often-touted “unintrusiveness”, yes, except of course for every time steam or your internet has been, is or will ever be offline. Your “buys” are bound to a remote server. Great. The very idea of online DRM.

• aliksy says:

” All steam has really given us is DRM ”
          and free cloud saves, and screenshot conveniences, and friends list stuff, and match making, and voice chat, and the in-game overlay, and a ton of exposure for many smaller developers, and super convenient patching, and removed the need to keep installers and physical media around, and more, all in one place.

You can dislike it if you want. Some people dislike ice cream. Don’t act like you’ve seen the truth and the rest of us are dupes.

Hating all DRM on principle is like hating when bars ask for ID. Yeah, some places are jerks about it, and it’d be nice if it wasn’t a thing, but it’s not going away.

• mepto says:

And being ok with DRM is like buying a six pack and then having to phone-in your date of birth every time you open a can. Oh, and of course with steam, always having the possibility that the beer you paid for will get taken away from you. It’s in the contract.

Nauallis says:

Yes, it is all a big conspiracy. Mepto is out to get you.

Edit: What’s this, an edit button?

• welverin says:

Is it possible for people like you to understand that Steam is not DRM and that it’s just a feature provided to publishers and it’s up to them to decide to use it or not?

• mepto says:

And in return, is it possible for the DRM-deniers to understand that the very success, the very beginning of steam was possible only thanks to DRM and malicious binding of store-bought software to it and it doesn’t matter if it gives authors the possiblity to do without?

• Det. Bullock says:

I guess you are one of those privileged few that live in a big city or at least in the range of one, before Steam I just couldn’t get games for most of the year because I couldn’t phisically go to a shop and buying them over the internet was a pain since I live in the ass-end of nowhere when it comes to get stuff sent to me (which means either paying a lot of money or waiting a lot, sometimes both).
          The day I finally got broadband was probably my biggest turning point as a gamer, just the fact I could have a game in 24 hours (never said it was good broadband) instead of two weeks or an entire month and paying it at list price instead of the inflated prices of most internet stores (we didn’t have Amazon at the time) was a blessing.

• Emeraude says:

Here’s the thing though: none of the good Steam does for some(and as much as I hate the platform for what it did to PC gaming, it did some good, third world countries for one can attest) demanded the bad it does for others (mandatory online activation/registration, account tying, forced integration into the third party software infrastructure…).

Which makes it all the more insufferable when the later is being defended in the name of the former.

• Det. Bullock says:

The thing is it isn’t invasive as some old DRM systems, I still remember not being able to play Rayman 2 past a certain point because the fucking game decided it was a pirate copy.
            Account tying it typical of on-line services, the mandatory on-line activation is a negative only if you buy physical copies, I share the account with my brother without issues, offline play worked with me even for months at a time back when I had broadband but no wi-fi extender.
            If anything the problems with steam are more relative for the leeway they give publishers to upload games that just don’t work or have glaring issues with modern systems, stuff that with GOG.com happens very rarely and is usually resolved in a few months.

• Emeraude says:

The thing is it isn’t invasive as some old DRM systems

But it’s still worse than most. And unnecessary. Not to mention the doors it opens (see Denuvo).

Account tying it typical of on-line services

Why should it be though, when unnecessary? Not to mention, in that particular case, who made it the norm?

mandatory on-line activation is a negative only if you buy physical copies

Or buy them anywhere else online but are still being forced into a contractual relationship with Valve.

• buenaventura says:

I’m hardly ever able to connect to steam because of port issues, but there is an offline mode that lets me play all my games without a connection. Otherwise it would be true garbage. I imagine that if I pull this computer forever offline (or just block the steam app forever or so) I could continue playing my games just fine no matter if they removed them from my account or something. How would my offline steam know that I had sinned?

Otherwise, I always prefer DRM-free, it simply works so much better most of the time (I’m on GNU/Linux, and otherwise make a point of using FOSS software only). Steam for linux is cumbersome (bundled libs cause nothing but grief). But TF2 man. That’s where it’s at.

• padger says:

Uh. Steam hasn’t required most of its games to run *actual* DRM for years. Perhaps this isn’t quite what you mean, but many games bought on it don’t actually require Steam to be running to work.

• SuicideKing says:

Steam is indeed primarily DRM.

The rest of what it has become today is a consequence of that.

phuzz says:

Ironically Half Life 2 doesn’t require Steam to run (just to download).

• Phasma Felis says:

DRM sucks. I wish DRM would go away.

You seem to think that, if we all abandoned Steam or had never adopted it, it would reduce the use of DRM. It wouldn’t. If anything it would replace DRM’s relatively transparent, unobtrusive DRM with much worse ones. Most major publishers will never give up on DRM. Steam does not encourage them to use DRM; it provides them with a less awful form of it.

Nauallis says:

As an almost everyday reader, I feel that third paragraph should be emphasized.

3. dangermouse76 says:

I am following you on steam. But unless something has changed over on there. I never check the curator stuff because the search options for the curator page were very basic.
    No search by FPS/indie/ by genre etc in anyway.
    I dont find it useful and easy to use ( I am lazy ).

AutonomyLost says:

Alrighty then — I’ll be following you guys and gals this afternoon after work.

5. Cyrus says:

This sounds fishy..

• Alec Meer says:

Perhaps you could explain your concerns and ask for elaboration on anything you’re unsure about rather than blindly accuse?

• SuicideKing says:

Alice likes ponds
        fish like ponds
        Fishiness confirmed

(don’t worry about random troll comments, man)

• Cyrus says:

For good measure I should have used a smiley or similar.
        Relax man, no need to get upset.

• Josh W says:

It could be fishy, but it isn’t, because they’re not making any money from it directly. (And that’s always worth wondering about)

It’s like steam linked to a tag on rps of “games we really like”, which also had steam links in it. So it’s a tighter hookup of the media connections between Steam and RPS, which could increase network effects pushing people towards Steam, as RPS have invested more effort there, ie. it’s basically cross promotion, but it won’t actually change the reviews of games.

On the games side, a critic/reviewer funded independently of the success of games they review positively has no incentive to review games positively. They could sit around moaning all day, telling everyone not to buy anything they reviewed.

Not especially helpful for consumers, but people might read their stuff for other reasons, and you can have a lovely continuum of possibilities from that to the most blazing enthusiasm, forgiving every flaw.

It’s only if they start getting paid for good reviews/recommendations (or in some weird world, bad reviews), that things start pushing in a dubious direction.

6. DonJefe says:

Nice to see that you have finally updated those Steam Curator recommendations. :)

• DonJefe says:

Actually, reading that again it sounds like a complaint. It wasn’t meant to be. I really love this site and all the work you pour into it at Castle Shotgun.

Ericusson says:

I wish you would remember the 100% objectively not correct opinions from News and whatnot with a mandatory inside eyelid tattoo reacting with the monitor light as un unsubtle subliminal highly visible message to all contributors (because it kinda becomes like it).

Still a good idea for a tattoo of you don’t agree with the parentheses !

Ericusson says:

Also good to not have to switch back and forth between steam and ze web.

8. SadOldGuy says:

I myself am very grateful for Steam and especially for Steam curators such as Rock Paper Shotgun. I was a console gamer since the Sega Genesis but I decided to try out Civ after playing the baby version on consoles. Of course I ended up buying over 400 games and a real gaming computer so it was not cheap and my PS4 has been relegated to streaming baseball and anime. I love that I can easily purchases games as gifts and send them directly through Steam; you cannot do that on PSN.

• mepto says:

You might find it important to know that you only ever rent software on steam, meaning not only do they not give you the de jure ownership of the stuff, they can de facto remove your access to them at any time. They can’t do that with hard copies of PS games.

• dangermouse76 says:

This is interesting to me. If you have time and dont mind clarifying could you help me out.

Is this a DRM in general issue, or is this something specific to Steam and it’s practices ?
        I’m not what you would call all that political about gaming or DRM etc. I read the stories tut to myself a bit and that’s about it.

So it’s interesting to get the skinny from someone who is clearly passionate about it.
        If it’s DRM in general does that mean you believe DRM is wrong in all forms, music, games,literature,IP etc ?
        Thanks if you have the time.

• mepto says:

Well, stories of players having their account locked are few, but it has happened. The fact that you have to play nice or they can lock off access to games you have bought should tell you enough. Mostly, it’ll just be legalese to cover their butts in the worst case – the typical corporate “you pay us and we give you something but actually, it says here that we don’t owe you shit”.

I’m quite angry at the existence of DRM and the typical gamer that is all happy-shiny-people about steam et al. I wish I could just buy some newer games and be passionate about gaming computers and stuff. I can’t. Either it’s steam or origin or uplay or rockstar’s crap unsocial club, but basically, with steam becoming popular, my hobby the way I want it has been ruined. Looking back, even CD codes were unacceptable DRM, but that’s where I was the naive “just the way it is” teen gamer. Fact is I can’t identify with games when they’re all forcibly linked to some server and can be shut off whenever. I don’t need their “services” or “community” or “features”. Gaming up until late-00s did very well without online DRM.

As for myself, I buy books (real ones, aka can’t-be-DRMed), pirate films and music (still legal where I live) – I can’t morally excuse this, but I try with “most these people get way too much money, anyway” and at least I’m honest.

I don’t pirate video games. I recently started buying off GOG – guaranteed DRM-free – and most of the stuff I’d kind of love to play, recently horizon 3 or gta 5, I just don’t. Although writing this on linux, I still have a working win 7 that I use to play those games on, and I kind of dread what I will do once this OEM-win system breaks. Pay microsoft to actively work against everything I believe in and to spy on me as well as having to authenticate the OS? I’d rather not.

• dangermouse76 says:

Cheers great insight there. Developing a position on DRM involves sorting through a complex set of values and scenarios it seems.

Balancing consumer protection and access to material and non material items and concepts, against establishing and enshrining ( if any ) the rights and protections of content creators.

Cheers again.
            Food for thought.
            Mobile has a 5
            Minute edit button!

• Hedgeclipper says:

No one likes DRM if you asked the “happy-shiny-people” none of them would tell you they want DRM.
            The difference is the DRM purists see Steam is the most popular platform around and imaging a happy world where if it weren’t of the evil of Gabe everyone would have DRM free games and rainbows.
            Everyone else realises that we had DRM before Steam, we’ll have it after and, for a popular platform, Steam is at the least-bad end of the scale with DRM (GOG being better but you’ll never ever get most games on there). Certainly I haven’t seen any complaints about Steam bricking people’s CD drives lately which used to be a thing.

• Hedgeclipper says:

They can rip a whole OS out of the Playstation and tell consumers to suck it so I doubt they’d have any trouble killing a game if they wanted.

phuzz says:

Sure, Steam can block my access to games I’ve bought that have Steam’s DRM on, but what about all the other games I’ve paid money for that don’t have DRM?
        The three games I’ve been playing most of recently all don’t have DRM (Kerbal Space Program, Witcher 3, FTL), and will run just fine without Steam running.
        That said, I do generally run them through Steam, which was handy the other week when a hard drive failure took out a couple of weeks of my Witcher 3 saves. Fortunately Steam Cloud had them all backed up so I lost nothing.

Actually, I just looked, only one out of my top 10 games on Steam has DRM (and most of them aren’t small indie games)

9. Frog says:

Nice :) I’m all hooked up.

10. Pazguato says:

I’m in, but please, don’t abuse. One or two recommendations every now and then is the way to go. You resumed activity with too much strength.

heretic says:

How many of these recommendations will be Devil Daggers?

12. geldonyetich says:

I had opinions once. Terrible liability that turned out to be. I can’t recommend it.

• inspiredhandle says:

Isn’t a recommendation dangerously close to an opinion?

13. Samudaya says:

Why would I follow you when you recommend games I hate like Fallout 4 or Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag instead of games I love like Stardew Valley? No matter, I’m not on Steam anyway.

• popej says:

Great contribution.

I don’t like artichokes much, I don’t buy them.

• Nahadoth says:

You mean, of the hundreds of games they have recommended, there are some you don’t like? *gasp* How DARE they?

Gnarl says:

Does RPS get anything out of it if I do? Because that’s about the only reason I would. It’s not hard to find games I want to play.

But if it benefits you guys, I could.