Don’t Click: Syberia 3 Delayed Into 2017

The saga of Kate Walker and Syberia 3 [official site] continues in a not-great but not wholly surprising way. Six years after it was originally due to launch, and two months before its latest release date, the pointy ‘n’ clicky adventure game is delayed once more. French studio Microïds want more time to make it good, which is fair enough. Syberia 3 is now due in 2017, some time before April.

Here’s the explanation from creative director Benoit Sokal:

“I am obviously disappointed that Syberia 3 is delayed because we would like to release our games as soon as the storyline is written, but I’m also relieved that Microïds has taken the decision to postpone the game’s launch because it is essential to offer players the best gaming experience possible. We decided to add even more cinematics to this new fiction, more optional narrative sequences as well as new languages for the voice-over, which represents considerable work for teams.”

If you’re wondering what this whole ‘Syberia’ thing is about, here’s John on the first game. Though, y’know, he’s less forgiving than some adventureheads.

I’m never upset by developers delaying games – better a good game later than an unfinished one now, right? – but at a certain point it does become comical. Syberia 3 is definitely past that point. This is what the release date “when it’s done” is for. Were I longing for Syberia, I might seek consolation from the wisdom of the Backstreet Boys.

From this site

1. Emeraude says:

AS much as love some of Sokal’s work, I’ll never get the success of those games.

They’re not awful mind you, but I really don’t see what’s in them that made some people love them so much.

Risingson says:

They are very different, mind you: the second one is a very classic adventure with chained puzzles that can be challenging while the first one is a purely narrative piece.

You cannot see the charm? Just put some context. They got some of the momentum gained by The Longest Journey some years before, and added some authorship that was severely missed from games in general. I even think that it was not the lack of puzzles what made Syberia so popular, but just being so rounded up in what it told.

Back then the first game left me cold as it was so empty and easy, and I loved the second just for forgetting about any intention of being deep and just be a classic adventure. When replaying them, I actually admired the first one as its aesthetics are a coherent part of what it is telling (though the music repetition is unnerving) and drives so naturally to the ending it has, and found the second a bit detached between the classic adventure and the adult journey story (though I still find the allegory of the ending pretty touching). They are still pretty unique adventures in that sense: though they avoided many of the genre traits as the descriptions or the constant observations of the main character, they actually built something, some journey, that had some sense and some heart.

In any way, I can wait whatever is necessary for Syberia 3. After all my expectations are beyond the floor, where they should be after a closed ending.

• Emeraude says:

They got some of the momentum gained by The Longest Journey some years before

To be fair, I never really saw the deal about that one either. Didn’t like it on top.

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Risingson says:

Neither did or do I!

EDIT: EDIT BUTTON! THERE IS AN EDIT BUTTON!

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Jesus buggery, it can’t be true!!!

EDIT: ITS TRUE! All hail RPS! I have 4 minutes and 17 seconds to change my mind!!!

• Jay Load says:

Holy flibbertygibbets!

It’s true! (And there was much rejoicing)

• inspiredhandle says:

Will never forgive the longest journey. My wife one day decided she would try to get into a game. I figured it would be my chance to groom myself a live in, lan buddy. She decided on the longest journey after some lengthy research. I had never heard of it at this point, so curiously watched bits ‘n’ bobs over her shoulder. Holy shit, what a dull game. She thought so too. Set us back years.

The closest I’ve got since then is a drunken 1vs1 with her of some Company of heroes a couple of months ago. That went OK until I let loose a blitzkrieg of constant rolling artillery barrages.
          Can’t help myself.

…the longest journey is awful.

2. johnkdbell says:

Dare I click the Youtube video?

3. int says:

Russian John Goodman is looking grim.