New Beyond Good & Evil Confirmed With Adorable Pig

If you’ve been keenly awaiting Beyond Good & Evil 2 these eight long years, hanging on the edge of your seat for so long that your flesh has grown into the fabric and you’ll need to be cut out, good news: Ubisoft have confirmed… something that is likely Beyond Good & Evil 2. They’re definitely doing a new Beyond Good & Evil, at least. We’ve known about their desire to for yonks, thanks to irregular mentions and reassurances, but making even a vague announcement suggests they’re cracking on with it. Series creator Michel Ancel has been blasting concept art around too.

Ubisoft splorped out a teensy announcement today, saying:

“We are delighted to confirm that Michel Ancel is currently working with the Ubisoft Montpellier Studio on a new Beyond Good & Evil game.”

Okay!

Ancel himself said this week that they’re “in pre-production” on whatever it is. I do hesitate to call the game ‘Beyond Good & Evil 2’ because they don’t quite say that, and I do wonder if this concept art Ancel shared is a baby Pey’j with Jade’s pa:

Somewhere in system 4 … – Thanks #ubisoft for making this possible !

A photo posted by Michel Ancel (@michelancel) on

Which might hint at a prequel? Or larking about across past and present? Or not. It could be anyone or indicate anything. I’ll not get tied up in speculation, given how little we know about the game. The announcement trailer, with Pey’j and Jade and their crapped-out car, could be nothing to do with the current game. Or everything. Same goes for the video widely assumed to be a leaked demo/concept.

All I know is, this sharkman is proper grim:

"Ready for the fight " independence #ubisoft day

A photo posted by Michel Ancel (@michelancel) on

But here’s a friendly fella:

Endangered species – now saved – Game in pre-production – Stay tuned !

A photo posted by Michel Ancel (@michelancel) on

Now please tell me more about that beautiful little angel of a pig, thank you.

Oh, and if you’ve not played the first game – it’ll be free for a month through Uplay from next Wednesday, October 12th.

From this site

Oakreef says:

Surprise update for MGS5 adds D-Pig as a new companion.

AutonomyLost says:

Hah! That would be spectacular.

Now if they’d only patch in official 21:9 support I’d finish the game.

Oakreef says:

There’s really not much point in finishing the game. The developers didn’t. Just play to the end of “act 1” and stop there.

• Urthman says:

I have never been so disappointed by the ending of a game as Beyond Good & Evil. Loved the first 3/4 of the game, hate hate hated the direction the plot/story and game went. So disappointing.

2. DaftPunk says:

Cant understand hype behind this franchise. First game was decent at best,thats it. Yet people are hyping this on same level as HL3 haha :D

• arienette says:

The beauty of the game wasn’t really in its systems, but its world.

• skyturnedred says:

I hope BGE2 is as colourful as the first one. The few trailers we’ve seen over the years were horribly brown.

• gwop_the_derailer says:

I’m not too thrilled by the photo-realistic models, either.

Look at the feet of that shark!

• Karyogon says:

Photography was a very nifty mechanic to get the player to actually look at the world and scout for wildlife though, and I remember the puzzle-platforming bits fondly.

• Emeraude says:

Definitely loved the photography idea. Nice having to hunt without a kill, so to speak. Differently paced from twitch shooting too, while still built on the same principles.

Worth building around.

• Emeraude says:

I’m thinking it’s more the charm of the presentation than the game itself. When I talk with people that loved it, very few memories seem to be about the playing itself, at least.

• gabrielonuris says:

And by the 2 comments above, I’d say i’s a dangerous move to ressurect it now; nostalgia goggles doing its think, with hype being the icing on the cake. I sense a Duke Nukem Forever case all over again.

Ericusson says:

The first game had a strong political message in its story, along with what was something new at the time with photographing animals who were part of a seemingly coherent world and good game mechanics progression.

It left you with a sense of wonder and delight on such sensitivity found in a game, even though the ending was crap.

I doubt Ubisoft has the talent and will to make a game with such a strong character and ‘philosophy’ or message now.
      It’s like measuring the Apple 1984 big brother as to the Apple of now.

But then again playing Far Cry 3’s 5 final hours on the end of an acid trip was such an amazing experience that hope is lurking around.

• Ashabel says:

Beyond Good & Evil, along with Jak 2, basically created the entire modern “open world sandbox” game design that’s been pushed by Assassin’s Creeds, Mad Maxes, Arkham Whatevers and Watch_Doges. The thing is, it’s still better and more tightly designed than all of its descendants, with a world that feels considerably more alive despite being smaller.

People want more of it because that sort of design is very appealing in theory, but only maybe two games since BG&E figured out how to make it work.

3. Jeroen D Stout says:

It’s a little bit like a new Half Life… something that I really, really wanted when I was much younger, but now I’m a bit older and I find I just sort-of moved on.

Ninja Dodo says:

I sort of feel that way, but only about a Half Life EP3 that is just more of the same thing. I’m pretty much over shooting at zombies and combine with the gravity gun, and anything like that could not hope to live up the hype anyway. I would however still be completely on board with a Half Life 3 that was as HL2 was to HL1, a bold step forward with all new ideas of its own. I think the same goes for BG&E: If it was just the same mechanics with more of that charming world, that would be nice but kind of underwhelming at this point… but given how long they’ve been tinkering with it, it doesn’t seem like that’s what they’re doing.

• puppybeard says:

I’m kind of similar, loved the Half-Life series, but can’t see Valve releasing something that would give me the same hit. Portal was probably the last thing they did that excited me. Left 4 Dead 2 was a riot, but didn’t capture the imagination as much as the giddy goat part of me.
      Valve are a bit old school, in theme and mechanics, for me. With the clear exception of Mobas and stuff, but that’s all so much noise to me.

4. Rao Dao Zao says:

The weird thing is that I absolutely loath human children, but baby pigs are soooooo cuuuuuute. Very good, natural selection, you’ve given me a very useful trait to ensure the survival of my bloodline.

AutonomyLost says:

Also, holy shit. I just posted a comment and realized there’s now a “Click to Edit” link.

RPS is getting with the times :)

6. Aerothorn says:

The thing I don’t get is: why on earth are they going to follow on from *that ending* 14/15 years later? The massive video-gaming buying public will have no idea what’s going on. On the other hand, if they are just like “it’s a prequel” then we’re still left with an unresolved cliffhanger and that’s just lame.

7. ChocolateWaffle says:

I hope that first picture is a side character or something. I don’t necessarily want Jade back, but I’d hate to play as the Medal of Honor reject cover guy.

8. haldolium says:

Well since it’s the modern era, I am not really looking forward to it. It will be a beautiful world, with default mechanics, shallow riddles and bad writing occluded through checklist interface gameplay as every Ubi game became since the AC infestation started (and by now reached most other AAA games as well).

9. kud13 says:

Now I guess I have to go back and finish the original on a priority basis. Will have to move it up in the backlog.

• April March says:

Likewise!

The worst part is that I was playing it, some five years ago, when my HD went on the fritz. My saves were gone so I decided to take some time off it and haven’t come back. I should!

10. KDR_11k says:

Laura K is saying it’s Nintendo exclusive because Nintendo has decided to foot the bill for the development (like with Bayo 2).

11. Tiger Teeth says:

“Confirmed”

Aye, right, I’ll believe that when I’ve bought the bastard thing and am three hours deep in its second act.

Until then, I’m keeping a healthy skepticism.

phuzz says:

Maybe I’ll even get around to playing the first one before the sequel is released?

13. Moneymancer Marklew says:

Somehow, that man seems utterly crushed to be piggybacking a baby pig.

14. genoforprez says:

Ah, one of the best games of all time! From a controls/technical point of view, the game could be a bit rough, but it was a wonderful experience with great characters and world. Probably more of a classic to people who are in love with character/story-driven games, but I can understand why someone might feel it was more of a B title from a gameplay perspective. It’s age is really starting to show as well, so I pity those who are experiencing it for the first time 20 years late.

I am sorta weirded out by the realism-ification of the art style, though. The original game had characters that were smooth, cartoony, and very Disney/Pixar-ish. Everything had a very Saturday-morning-cartoon sort of quality to it. These new concept arts are suggesting a game that is typical AAA brown and gritty. This is as weird as showing me concept art for a new Mario game where Mario has a realistic skin mesh and fully-rendered hair follicles. Not sure how to feel.

On the other hand, FFXII took Bangaa and Viera from toons into “realistic” art style and that turned out pretty okay…?

It kinda makes me nervous just because it gives you the feeling like “Oh no, if they are messing with the visual style what else are they going to mess with.”

My worst nightmare is Beyond Good & Evil 2 is yet another AssCreed clone covered with hovering quest markers for boring fetch quests. I don’t expect that from Ancel, but I’d expect it from Ubi.

15. Drumclem says:

Am I the only one who thought there was a Metal Gear Solid vs Beyond Good & Evil spin-off in the works?

EDITED. HA

16. Kingseeker Camargo says:

I guess the cartoony style of the original didn’t go well with the focus groups, eh? Well, I always thought if there’s something that a world populated by anthropomorphic animals needed was a realistic, gritty art style. I hope they also get rid of all those damned colours and replace them with a couple dozen shades of brown. And some grey.

*sigh*

17. AceJohnny says:

…for so long that your flesh has grown into the fabric and you’ll need to be cut out…

Goddamnit Alice. Alright who’s got the mindbleach?

18. Booker says:

I honestly don’t get it why they are messing with us. There’s no profit in showing fake pictures and bogus stories for a decade. Why do that?!?

19. malkav11 says:

They’ve confirmed it was in the works multiple times in the past. (Or Ancel has, at least, IIRC.) Pretty sure even properly announced it. Still hasn’t happened, not expecting it to.

zapatapon says:

Between this and the return of the edit button, it is almost too much happiness to bear at once.

21. Ketchua says:

I keep looking at that rhino, and all I can think of is “Time be time, mon.”

22. engion3 says:

Neat something no one will talk about after launch and it will sit on uplay not being played and I’ll pick it up for $7 in steam sale.

23. Massenstein says:

What is Big Boss doing with that pig?

24. Ejia says:

MMMMAMAGOOOOOOO

25. MajorLag says:

ChipCheezum is going to soil his pants.