Some People Who Play Games Are Having A Good Time

A large group of people playing games are enjoying themselves – and they’ve taken to social media to say so.

“Game looks absolutely gorgeous, hands down the best looking turn-based RPG around,” wrote Reddit user More_Wasted_time about Divinity: Original Sin 2’s early access release. “The combat feels a lot more smooth and fun now that they’ve simplified the AP and added amour elements into the game, no more first turn stuns or freezes!” While on Twitter, user Galactrix wrote that they “love how the loading screens between different sections of Prague are disguised as train rides in @DeusEx #MankindDivided 👍 #DXMD”.

Even game developers have been chiming in, with Enter the Gungeon developer dog roll brent writing on Twitter that Flat Herores is the best feeling platformer he’s played in a long time.

Steam reviews for thousands of games are also broadly positive. “This game is great! My computer doesnt even meet the minimum requirements and it runs fine and fast! I love the puzzle element and its perfect for people who like factory managment games!” wrote user TheMightyJ225 of Big Pharma, while General Narducky wrote of another recent game that “Sorcery! has been one big journey for me, a nearly four year long one, and it was worth every minute I waited for the next in the series.”

This is part of a long-standing trend of people liking things. “I love Braid,” wrote user Sketch on the rllmuk messageboard in 2009. “I loved playing it on a friend’s 360, I love the concept and the art and I think it’s the most revolutionary take on the platformer in years, taking into account the mindset created by emulators with savestates and rewind features, the time control mechanism is ingeniously implemented and the kind of thing I’ve been wanting since the travesty that was Blinx.”

At the time of writing, no petition exists related to this issue because people like things the way they are. The vast majority of people are even fine with things which have changed recently, feeling only contentment or perhaps healthy apathy. “Who cares?” perhaps they said about something. “I don’t. And whatever my opinion, it’s certainly not newsworthy.”

We haven’t contacted anyone for comment because we’re too busy having fun.

This post was originally exclusively available for our Supporters.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Andy_Panthro says:

I enjoyed this post! It made me glad to be a supporter.

#supporter #like #horace #staringeyes

The Almighty Moo says:

My God, will this madness never end…?

X_kot says:

But where are the metrics? Where are the cold, unfeeling numbers that can quantify the experiential value of a digital IP?

particlese says:

Hey, whaddya know — I love games, too! It’s nice to hear I’ll not be alone when I venture past the surrounding meadows of Castle RPS. On that note, I love RPS and the fact that I’ve gotten to gang up with tons of other people to throw gobs of money at it, resulting in more goodness appearing on the Internet, often for all to enjoy.

Aitrus says:

I wish I could share this article.

Oakreef says:

I finally got around to finishing Hyper Light Drifter at the weekend. Really loved it. The fast majority of the games I play are very enjoyable. Hurray and thanks to the people who make games!

caff says:

The trouble for me is there are far too many good games around at the moment. I don’t have enough time to play them all.

Therefore I give time 10% out of 15 for being rubbish and short. Also the story is generally quite repetitive.

• invitro says:

“Also the story is generally quite repetitive.” — Two short words, my friend: bath salts. They tell a different tale every time.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

This kind of toxic positivity is ruining games. The other day I saw this “review” on YouTube by Content Joe and he just kept going on and on about all of the things in that game he enjoyed. For some god awful reason I decided to read the comments and it was just a bunch of people offering advice and being g supportive of each other. What is this shit?

9. Nice Save says:

Just a quick note – I noticed that the words you used were spelled correctly, and used in the proper grammatical context. There’s no need to fix that.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Especially the one about “added amour elements into the game”. Lots of love for Divinity: Original Sin 2 from gamers and in the game.

10. kud13 says:

I think the only thing that really upsets me about games right now, is that I have too many to choose from. the various Steam sales, GOG sales, and GamersGate promotions have left me with more games than I can theoretically finish if all I did from now to age 65 was play games 12 hours a day.

Then I consider that I also have a sizeable to-read pile, a list of shows to watch, several rec footy teams I play on, a full-time job, and occasional social life, and my lack of time begins to frustrate me even more…

• khamul says:

Even though I have played XCOM2 all the way through several times, taking up quite a bit of my free time to do so, I am still tempted to play it again – even though I have other games I have bought, waiting for me to play them.

And that very temptation leads to a pleasurable contemplation that I *could* play it again, which is in itself almost as nice as actually playing it, even if I don’t choose to do so.

• stringerdell says:

I did this again the other day, starting my 4th playthrough with a stupid amount of mods including a big robot with the voice of Bob Ross. XCOM 2 is a treasure.

11. N'Al says:

I must say, while I’ve enjoyed a great many games, experienced all manner of emotions – joy, sadness, rage, contentment, confusion, and so on – I have never EVER had a look of sheer unadulterated bliss on my face like the guy in the top pic.

Clearly, I’m doing something wrong. :(

• invitro says:

“I have never EVER had a look of sheer unadulterated bliss on my face like the guy in the top pic.” — You might, if you did what he was doing with his left hand.

caff says:

I look like this about 30% of the time I’m playing Rocket League.

You don’t want to know what I look like the rest of the 70% of the time.

12. DevilishEggs says:

I have enjoyed gaming but was promised that I would be absolutely enraptured by amazing procedural genre-busting technomancy, therefore I am never preordering a game ever again. Wake up people.

13. Uncompetative says:

I enjoyed playing Modern Warfare Remastered last night and look forward to Infinite and applaud Activision for providing fresh experiences to a franchise which could become stale otherwise, whilst rejuvenating something familiar for veterans.

14. Bull0 says:

PS4, right? Or is there a way to get it on PC now?

Lars Westergren says:

Positivity and friendliness? You absolute madman, Graham. It just might be crazy enough to work.

16. draglikepull says:

I finally feel like I, too, can let it be known that I think video games are pretty rad, and I have fun playing them.

17. FrumiousBandersnatch says:

I don’t get it.

• AlexStoic says:

If you deal in games for a large portion of your day, it can feel like everyone and all things are angry, complaining and outraged. So this is a counterpoint, that most gamers are just having unspoken fun.

This article did prove something interesting, I thought, and so did your comment. Saying you like a game on the internet is almost pointless. It won’t get any replies, because what’s there to say? Me too? In a way, the very existence of discussion threads is the pursuit of attention by any means possible. Hence, I think, the rise of the outrage culture.

If your comment doesn’t get a reply, what’s the point in making one at all? Nobody likes to feel like they’re talking in an empty room.

• TechnicalBen says:

This is life. Some places are positive. Which is great. Others, well, not so much.

• syndrome says:

but we all want to be happy and positive.. and to agree with each other, aren’t we? it’s the pretty cozy feeling isn’t it?

like that party on titanic… those were the times.

but even if you do fail everyone else fails just as much, so if everybody does it, is it truly a fail on your part?

18. invitro says:

And so, Video Games, in her pitiful decades-long quest for the trophy of First Leisure Activity That No One Likes, must once again go home empty-handed.

19. SlimShanks says:

When gaming, it is important to wear a tie so that the opposing team knows you mean business. Similarly I wear camouflage while playing Battlefield so I can’t be seen :D

20. Neurotic says:

Love it!

caff says:

We should resurrect this article every time there’s a slightly disappointing big budget game release.

22. enamelizer says:

“This piece is great!” random RPS commenter enamelizer said. “I really enjoy the light hearted satire” he added.

23. Sin Vega says:

This is an embarassing failure. If you’d done even the most basic research you would quickly have discovered that games are bad.

24. ooshp says:

Well, my time over the last week has largely been split between EDF 4.1 and real life.

EDF 4.1 has Overwhelmingly Positive reviews. RL doesn’t appear to be reviewable on Steam at this point in time, but my anecdotal evidence gathered so far in life would point to EDF objectively being almost twice as good as real life.

I’m unsure what to make of this, apart from drawing the conclusion that an alien invasion with giant insects would improve real life dramatically.

Also, what’s with the lack of EDF mentions on RPS? It’s Rocket-League-level amazing, sliced bread has some catching up to do.

• stringerdell says:

I also wish there was more enthusiasm for EDF. Playing through it split screen with a friend over the last couple of months has been a stupid amount of fun.

25. iMad says:

After No Man’s Sky, I don’t think I can believe anyone anymore. People should stop spouting lies about games being fun, they’re clearly are just distractions from REAL fun like sex and booze. Now if you excuse me, I’m gonna enjoy my weekend doing just that.

26. Monggerel says:

‘member Return to Castle Wolfenstein?
    ‘member Republic Commando?
    ‘member tank controls?
    aww man

27. Symarian says:

But does it run on ultra?

28. dethtoll says:

Okay okay, this is a good article from someone who isn’t Alice or Pip. And it makes a really valid point — why are gamers always so mad tho?!?! I’ve noticed especially among older gamers that they’ve often lost any ability to enjoy themselves playing a game made after x point in time (usually 1999, but I’ve seen variously 2004, 2007, 1987, and 1996) and it’s just baffling to me. If you don’t enjoy games made after whenever, then why are you still here? Why continue to shitpost in whatever community you’re in grumping about how modern games are all terrible and Y boogeyman (variously: casuals, corporations, the “lowest common denominator,” popularity, feminism etc.) has ruined your favorite hobby? Go take up knitting, nobody cares.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Easy, things are never as good as they were the first time even if technology and graphics improve a lot.
      I replayed Deus Ex time and again same as I did Baldur’s Gate or Magic Carpet 2 or Sacrifice or Morrowind.
      Now Deus Ex HR I played 2 times to completion and MD: 1,5 times.
      Completely new inventions which also are good games are extremely rare.
      Also there are so many releases and distractions. Most people just play casually through games without figuring out the in-depth-mechanics and it’s just a more shallow experience. But back then there was so much time, sigh.

29. TheSplund says:

i love the fact that other people are happy – I love it when a game connects and makes you feel good, happy, or even laugh out loud at some moment that you, or the designer, have created

30. Chaoslord AJ says:

It’s great when people love games, I do to. Even if they are not perfect and some make me mad at times.
    However “great game, need to buy 10/10” is not the same as a “review” and I ignore games where reviews only of this kind exist without argumentative backup.

31. lglethal says:

First there was the thing where people actually wanted to TALK to strangers on the London Tube. Now we’re supposed to believe that people are actually enjoying gaming. If those are not the first signs of the forthcoming apocalypse I dont know what is! Bah!

32. dkfgo says:

33. buenaventura says:

:D? I need to become a supporter.

Comment on this story