The Best Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Mods

The recently launched Witcher 3 Game of the Year Edition marked the end of the line for Geralt’s latest outing – pulling together the outstanding base game and two equally impressive expansions. Now seems like as good a time as any to visit its best mods for some extra mileage.

Before we dive Witcher Sense-first into this here best The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [official site] mods list, though, I’d like to add a wee disclaimer…

I love mods, I do, and while I’m of the view the vast majority of games thrive with the addition of inventive user-made tweaks, nips and tucks, it must be said that The Witcher 3 is one of the few games I feel stands up so well unsullied that expanding upon it should be done so with discretion.

Since launch almost a year and a half ago, a wide array of mods have come to the fore – some good, some great and some which, well, stink of decomposing flesh. The following assortment of adjustments therefore aims to improve one of the best open-world games to date (some might say the best) with neat twists on how it works, moves and feels. With that in mind, these mods are likely best served after you’ve spent a bit of time with the base game and are familiar with what makes it tick.

How to install Witcher 3 mods

Manual install vs Nexus Mod Manager

Without Steam Workshop support, installing mods for The Witcher 3 is best done via the game’s corner of the Nexus Mods website. Downloading the Nexus Mod Manager (which you may already have installed as a means of accessing mods for other games such as, say, Skyrim) handles much of the heavy lifting – and takes care of updates – however mods can be installed manually if that’s something you prefer. Doing so is pretty straightforward and is detailed in the step-by-step video above.

Script Merger

By AnotherSymbiote

(Skip to 9.36)

As mentioned up there, The Witcher 3 boasts a staggering amount of mods (over 1,500 if my cursory and irresolute arithmetic serves me right). A combination of multiple post-launch patches, preoccupied modders, and the way in which the game accesses files, though, has led many mods to break down over time – which is why AnotherSymbiote’s Script Merger is an essential download before you’ve even kicked a ball/griffin’s head.

By detecting conflicts in .bundle packages and .ws scripts, Script Merger alleviates any issues by creating merged versions of the offending text files. It leaves the original files untouched, but overrides them, and while it can’t merge non-text conflicts it can help you manage custom load order which in turn lets certain mods override others.
If you’re new to the modding game, this isn’t as complicated as it might sound. In short: Script Merger lets you download the mods you want while ensuring you game never fails to start.

Fast Travel Anywhere and All Quest Objectives On Map

By JupiterTheGod and Wolfmark respectively.

Now, without any further ado, here are the best mods to make Novigrad that little bit more marvellous.

First of all, what about that landscape eh? It goes without saying that Novigrad can be a breathtakingly beautiful and picturesque place – what with its rolling hills, verdant forests and knife-edged gullies. But don’t you dare tell me you haven’t been at least a wee bit pissed off with its fast travel system from time to time. With Fast Travel Anywhere, gone at last is the need to travel while stood next to a signpost. “This mod allows you to fast travel to a signpost no matter where you are,” reads the mod’s description. “It works if you are in the middle of the wilderness and don’t feel like traveling to a signpost a billion light years away.” Which, after hoofing it around The Witcher 3’s absolutely massive map for hours and hours and hours on end, I am absolutely all for.

Wolfmark’s All Quest Objectives On Map is another cartographer’s curio that allows you to track more than one questline at any given time. Assuming you’ve got the quest logged in your journal, this mod adds readily identifiable pins to the map which follow all active quests. Simply click on whichever one you please to prioritise.

It’s worth pointing out that these mods aren’t immediately compatible with one another, without the use of the aforementioned Script Merger.

Absolute Camera and Increased LOD

By pMarK and sjbox respectively.

Of course, who’s to say you want to waste those wonderful vistas and views entirely, by speeding around the place without taking the time to drink in the landscape? pMarK’s Absolute Camera puts you in sole control of camera placement, meaning you get to customise camera distance between yourself and Geralt in relation to 16 of the witcher’s actions – be that running, swimming, fighting, or one of several other movements. Having used this mod for a while now, it’s one I struggle to do without, and while the video above does a great job of portraying its variety in motion, it’s one which is best experienced first hand.

In order to properly take in your newly proportionate camera views, Increased LOD lets you do so with the draw distance of small and medium-sized objects increased by 30 percent, and detail levels “for a lot of objects in the game” increased by anything from 50 percent to 300 percent. “For maximised draw distance, make sure FOV is set to 60 or less” warns the mod’s blurb alongside its full installation instructions.

The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project

By Halk Hogan PL

Admittedly, I was a wee bit apprehensive of The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project when I first caught wind of it. As noted in the intro up top, this is a game whose vanilla state is one of the prettiest I’ve ever laid eyes on, which made me ask the question: does it really need an HD graphics overhaul? The answer is no, but the Reworked Project is nonetheless a very impressive mod which is absolutely worth a look.

So, what does it change exactly? A better question might be what does it not tinker with, as the current build modifies the textures and models of:

– Rocks
– Bear Furs
– Grain
– Hay
– Rocks (Toussaint)
– Wood Logs (Toussaint)
– Sacks (Toussaint)

Like Absolute Camera, the video above showcases this mod in practice – complete with handy before and after sliders – however it’s also one that’s best lived in for full effect.

Over 9,000 Weight and AutoLoot

By GiecuMan and JupiterTheGod respectively.

(Skip to 6.52)

Confession time: I’m an RPG hoarder. Whenever I sink my teeth into a deep and engaging role-playing game, I become slightly obsessed with collecting things. What if that antique vase comes in handy down the line? I’ll feel like a right fool for throwing it away now, won’t I? Thing is, while our favourite heroes often flaunt some near interminable Mary Poppins-like pouches, they can’t carry everything. Or can they? GiecuMan’s Over 9,000 Weight seems to think so and ups Geralt’s carry limit to 9,000 to prove it. Ultimately, this means he can pocket just about anything he wants. Hello antique vase. Begone, over-encumbrance!

And while we’re talking hoarding, we know full well I’m going to ravage each and every fallen corpse I happen upon in search of trinkets – it’d be nice if there was a way to expedite the process. With AutoLoot, there is. What’s more, this mod lets you slap filters on what you automatically acquire and what you choose to leave behind – marking the end of muddled miser-ing.

Auto Apply Oils and Increased Creature Loot

By SheepDarklord and mindkiller316 respectively.

Weapon oils are one of the most tedious features of The Witcher 3’s combat system – namely applying specific oils so as to stand a better chance against specific foes. In the interest of streamlining, Auto Apply Oils does exactly what it says on the tin by automatically applying relevant weapon oils in relation to specific enemy types who may stumble into your range.

And of course once I’ve felled said beasts, I’ve made quite clear my desire to pillage whatever specialities might’ve been spilled in the process. Increased Creature Loot is another self-explanatory mod that ensures gruelling battles are met with sufficient spoils. “Whether you’re hunting for monster parts, or just to earn a little extra cash, it can be difficult when only half of the creatures you kill drop loot,” reads the mod’s description, before outlining its five different loot-drop settings, each of which can be set at will.

Debug Console Enabler and Photo Mode

By Skomski and Nalatroz with AloisManas, and CAPA respectively

You’ll almost certainly have the most fun with these mods. First, the Debug Console Enabler grants you access to the debug console which in turns allows you to input loads and loads and loads of game-altering commands. Spawn NPCs, baddies, monsters, change your appearance, make yourself indestructible, instantly learn skills, add buffs – so long as it’s possible in-game, the Debug Console Enabler mod will most likely let you do it. The full list of options is probably too long to cite here, however there’s a pretty decent rundown of what the mod’s capable of over here.

As for Photo Mode, well, even hardened, cold-blooded witchers love a selfie. This mod requires Debug Console Enabler to function and lets you freeze the game, spin the camera around in 360 degrees, and land the perfect snap. You can make yourself invisible so as to grab dramatic landscape shots and can even spawn bespoke weather options to add a certain level of character to those panoramic pics.

Honourable Mentions

Slots, Slots, Slots
By Zur13

Think the standard 12 skill slot restriction is too stifling? This ‘un ups that number to a stonking 96.

TradeMan
By GiecuMan

Traders carry more goods and more money. Trade on your terms.

Friendly HUD
By Wasteland Ghost

Drop the minimap, health bar and, well, everything else for less clutter.

Critical Slow Motion Combat
By KNG

Slow motion fighting is never not cool.

As outlined in the intro, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a truly fantastic game without the use of any mods whatsoever. This list is just a few that’ve made my own time in Novigrad a little more enjoyable – for experimental purposes if nothing else. With so many available, though, we’ve inevitably missed at least one or two that you might enjoy – let us know about them in the comments south of here.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is available now for Windows, Mac and Linux via The Humble Store, GOG or Steam.

From this site

1. jonahcutter says:

Anyone looking for a good immersion and “reality” overhaul, I recommend checking out “Ghostmode”. It’s a not-too-heavy-handed overhaul of various aspects (weight limit, junk sell prices, XP curve, etc) that really contributes well to the feeling of being in Geralt’s world and circumstances. It’s also regularly and enthusiastically updated. It’s created by WastelandGhost, one of the Xcom Longwar contributors.

Also check out her “Preperations” mod for an alchemy overhaul.

link to nexusmods.com

link to nexusmods.com

Both these mods increase the immersion and difficulty, without being a total, teeth-grindingly hard upheaval of the core gameplay.

• fearandloathing says:

Nice, preparations mod seems to have all my house rules.

2. Gordon Shock says:

Thanks for this article guys. I plan on getting W3 for this Xmas and play the shit out of it during the holidays, these mods seems like they will make the experience even more memorable.

3. daphne says:

Clean Face/Screen is essential if you wish to play an alchemy build without Geralt looking like the host of a demonic possession: link to nexusmods.com?

Nice list here. I don’t really need the gameplay tweaked all that much but I don’t think I’ll be able to pass up Auto Apply Oils.

• LTK says:

After AutoLoot I couldn’t play the game without it any longer. It was an ever-present pain in the ass that suddenly vanished. It made such a huge difference no longer having to mouse over and select all of the loot, just spam the button and you’ll get everything.

phuzz says:

You know by default you can hit space to take all the loot from a container right?
        You still have to run up to every bit of loot first though.

4. LTK says:

I approve of pretty much every choice made for this list, and I’d like to add a mention of the Brutal and Realistic Combat mod for people who want to tweak their combat experience. Personally I configured it to make it significantly harder, as well as making quests and combat award less experience because in my first playthrough Geralt was overleveled for pretty much every quest by the time I was halfway through the game.

The mod has an insane amount of configuration options, from enemy level scaling and damage to quest xp rewards to critical hit chance and damage to strong attack damage and knockdown chance to weapon and armor durability loss to enemy AI tactics… I could go on. You can tweak to your heart’s content, whether to make combat easier or harder. It can be a bit of work, but it was definitely worth it for me.

• Itdoesntgoaway says:

1000% agree, although that is of course impossible.

Unfortunately the mod maker is AWOL and no word on whether this will ever get updated to work in the latest version.

A shame, not sure I could play without it now!

5. Derpkovsky says:

I strongly recommend the Better Torches and Jump in Shallow Water mods to make some parts of the game just a little bit nicer to play.
    Also Lore-friendly Silver Swords, Lore-Friendly Witchers, Darker Nights, Improved Sign effects and the Griffin Armour Set Redesign are some great visual mods that I use myself and am really pleased about.

Better torches: link to nexusmods.com?
    Jump in Shallow water:link to nexusmods.com?
    Silver swords: link to nexusmods.com?
    lore friendly witchers: link to nexusmods.com? (I personally just use the eye changing part)
    Darker Nights: link to nexusmods.com? (The version updated for 1.31 can be found in the comments)
    Improved Sign effects: link to nexusmods.com?
    Griffin set redesign: link to nexusmods.com?

Hope you guys find this useful and enjoy these mods!

6. golem09 says:

I just don’t trust texture mods. They are sharper, yes, but they often include textures that just don’t fit in with the overall artstyle or the combination of textures around them. I do trust art directors of high budget games to create a certain coherent image for me.
    The only real exception I know about is the insane hd texture mod for Resident Evil 4 that won’t be finished for another 2 years probably. Am I gonna replay the shit out of that game then.

7. Lord_Mordja says:

Are they all save game compatible? That quest-marker mod looks like just what I need.

• shocked says:

I added and removed the FriendlyHud mod without problems. Should work.

It’s also really good: it allows to deactivate the minimap and instead shows the marker(s) for the active quest directly in the game world when the witcher sense is activated. Wouldn’t play without it anymore.

Edit: oh, you probably meant the other mod.

8. fearandloathing says:

Weak and lacking. Best addition to the game would be Better Combat Enhanced mod (or sth like that), it fixes shortcomings of the combat (idiotic enemy scaling, unreasonably locked skills, monotone combat tactics) without going to extreme or rebalancing things just for the sake of it. Then you have sth like Extended Potion Length, which brings tactical alchemy of the past games.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

Weak and lacking? Did somebody’s neckbeard get caught in their Doritos branded fleece zip?

9. Kefren says:

I’m surprised there’s no top first-person mod. It was one of the biggest barriers for me, it felt like I was so far removed from everything. I don’t mind third person for battles (if I REALLY have to – though Dark Messiah worked well in first person, and I didn’t enjoy the fighting in The Witcher anyway, would have gladly simplified it), but for general exploring and questing I totally missed a first person view.

10. Voqar says:

In other words, there are no really good mods for this game and it’s a game that doesn’t need them. And this article is a waste of time and space?

11. tartif says:

Excellent list. A few more recommendations:

– Instead of “Slots, slots, slots” use link to nexusmods.com, which completely does away with equipping skills.

link to nexusmods.com lets Geralt gain a configurable number of skill points with each level, a good companion for the previous mod.

link to nexusmods.com makes trophies varied, useful and rewarding.

link to nexusmods.com and link to nexusmods.com give Ciri an armor and take away her makeup.

12. ooshp says:

Came in here expecting Nude Zoltan mod. Left disappointed.

1/10.

13. ooshp says:

Oh my…. how did Trissemir not make the cut.

10/10.

Ericusson says:

I just got in my hands 2 hours ago my new 1080 powered laptop and Witcher 3 is one of the first games I plan to play after waiting 3 years for a proper graphic card.

I just have a question about all those mods. Last time I played Xcom 2, using mods made the game so much better … but also kind of broke the balance of the game.

Is it recommended for a first play to install such a mod as quest markers and fast travel or does it remove too much of the immersion ?
    (The mod with auto loot and inventory weight is a no brainer for me as I am an in game hoarder …)

Ninja Dodo says:

Play it as intended, without the mods. You’re going to be tripping over quests without even looking at a map. The only place where you may want to fast travel a lot (between islands in Skellige) the game lets you buy maps that will give you the fast travel harbour locations before discovering them.

15. vahnn says:

For me, the best mod is the Enhanced Edition mod.

It overhauls way too many aspects of the game to mention here, but a quick summary:
    -quest and enemy xp/reward and level scaling
    -gear scaling
    -all talents are active all the time and do not have to be made “active” by assigning them to mutagen slots, although you still need to put talents into these slots to boost the effect of mutagens.
    -comprehensive overhaul of the combat system, including how stats affect various combat parameters, rework of the Adrenaline system, changes to dodging/rolling and improvements to counters, and tweaks to damage.

This really only scatches the surface… There’s a lot of reading if you want to figure out all the changes, but suffice it to say that combat is infinitely more interesting and much more challenging. By the default settings, most combat is a quick exchange of a couple hits before someone is dead, and on larger monsters, you have to constantly evade and counter attacks and get in multiple solid hits for a kill. Attacks with your weapon now also consume stamina, and damage done by both signs and attacks is modified by the amount of stamina currently available, necessitating careful management of it.

The various scaling settings allow you to quest in any area of the game and still make progress on your character without feeling like a waste of time due to greyed out quests and worthless rewards. It also means monsters can be a challenge everywhere you go. There are two different scaling types, one that keeps enemies constantly adjusted to your level, and another that scales them in greater increments, meaning you still encounter very challenging foes.

And best of all, literally every single aspect of the mod is toggle-able on/off, and on top of that can be adjusted via sliders to perfectly tweak the game exactly how you want it for a fully customized experience. It’s really an extraordinary mod, and Reaperzz made a tremendous effort with it and in my opinion deserves more attention for it! Check it out on Nexus.

16. popej says:

Loot is the problem for me. There’s no point using anything but green.

Are there any mods that do anything about that?

Ta

• vahnn says:

Check out Enhanced Edition mode (I detailed it a bit in the post above yours). It includes quest reward scaling (increased xp and gold) and item scaling to make everything usable no matter your level, or even so that items you got at a low level will continue to scale up as you level, making it useful throughout the game.

It does a TON more stuff, but you can literally disable everything except the fancy item scaling options if that’s all you’re looking for.

• GuyNice says:

If you just want weapon/armor scaling this mod is perfect: link to nexusmods.com

17. adonai says:

Something to know about Fast Travel Anywhere – if you use it during a few specific quests, it can break things (your game misses a trigger to end the quest & begin the next one). That can usually be fixed with the debug console but can be fiddly.

Ericusson says:

Good to know thank you !

• Patches the Hyena says:

Important point here, I was almost going to restart my playthrough due to exactly this before discovering how to fix it using the debug console. Mild spoilers: don’t use fast travel from anywhere at the end of the quest Get Junior

18. Chaoslord AJ says:

A lot of those I would consider cheats rather than quality of life -hacks. I’d prefer to have oils on a button press for example instead of being automatic. As it is I have to enter the inventory, remember the color of oil since similar to concoctions the sorting is always different and apply.
    Also “better swimming controls” and “more intelligent Roach” and moving the Bloody Baron waypoint up to his estate would be great mods.

• Oozo says:

I have to admit that I haven’t played part thee yet (my rig can’t run it), but I had the same thought.

All objective markers on the map? Fast travel everywhere? And auto-application of oils? That all sounds a bit like things that do take away from the role-playing aspect and add to the Ubi-fication of the game. I’m sure that half of the things here would have been detrimental to my enjoyment of the first two games.

But, as I said, I haven’t played the third game yet, and I’m a sucker for atmosphere (which is why I prefer walking, even when it takes its time), I do hate drowning in objectives, and like my games to ask me to make decisions — even on the equipment. A certain old-school quality is what I liked about the first two Witcher games, but YMMV, as usual.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

It’s ubified in a sense that unidentified POI gradually fill up your map as you look at notice boards or move to their vicinity. Thankfully there are also a lot of treasures to be found in unmarked ruins so it’s ok to explore everywhere and not only check the markers. Also additional quest givers and waypoints are not marked as POI before discovery but are usually found near a POI.

• Rich says:

To be fair the fast travel mod only allows you to fast travel from anywhere. You still have to travel to the signposts as normal.

• RosalietheDog says:

I agree, I am a little bit disappointed by this list. Most of these mods are fairly banal, yet I’m looking for something to freshen up the game for a new playthrough. I’m even considering playing through it in a different language, because Geralt’s voice starts to annoy me, and the faux accent (speech impediment?) of the Beauclairois even more. There are some good suggestions in this comment section which seem to tackle TW3’s biggest flaws: strange leveling progress and imbalance most notably. I would love to see a mod add some more reality to the “war-torn” land of Velen, like skirmishes between the opposing camps, roaming armies, that sort of thing. I seem to recall there was a mod which did add more random roaming monsters which left tracks and such. Mods which introduce more variety to sound-effects also always have the astounding capacity to renew a game.

19. GuyNice says:

If you’re like me and you like the vanilla design but just want it to be actually BALANCED, check out this underrated gem: link to nexusmods.com?

Having tried many (most?) of the popular combat overhauls on the nexus, this is easily my favorite. The mod author is very talented and solved many vanilla bugs and introduced things like sign damage scaling, bomb damage scaling, crossbow overhaul, etc. all with a great knack for balance. If you enjoy the vanilla design but find the many bugs and useless/overpowered abilities annoying, give this one a try.

20. ZedClampet says:

I saved the expansions for a second play through, and I’m going to add a couple of these mods, I think. The auto-loot, the trader man, and the photo thing sound good as well as the fast travel from anywhere one.

21. Swordfishtrombone says:

Did you spend the whole game in Novigrad?