What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

I’m telling you, I wrote an excellent intro for this in a dream last night. I remember being jolly pleased and thinking “I must remember this for when I wake up.” Then I woke up and poof, gone. However, given the quirks of dreamlogic and the fact that I had been reading about Inside’s skullmusic before bed, there is a non-zero chance that the intro was e.g. SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS. Let’s crack on.

Tell me: what are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: I’ll be settling down for a weekend of Civilization VI. You should all spend your time playing Civilization VI as well. It’s really good!
Alec: [Alec has submitted neither a weekend activities report nor a sick note from his mum to the Weekend Oversight Committee, and as such has been fired. Clear out your desk by 5pm Sunday, Meer, or we’re selling it all to your fans on eBay.]
Alice: I’m expanding my core range of Acceptable Games – temporarily, at least – from Deadly Premonition and Devil Daggers to include Thumper too (we’re really being dickish with unreleased games this weekend, huh?). I’m also still tapping at Smash+Grab, which… I think I like it well enough? I need to play with organised, competent players more. Maybe I simply want a game where I get to do futurecrimes then dress up a silly futurecriminal, and this covers that. Its futurecriminals are awfully silly.
Brendan: In the event that I escape the digital alleyways of Hackmud, which I continue to stalk looking for both respite and potential victims to scam, I might pop into Hitman and murder as many Coloradans as possible. That’s just the sort of me. Other than that I’ve been meaning to try Smash + Grab for some looting, and Event[0] for some pleasant chat with an AI who I’m sure will turn out to be quite nice. Mostly, I need to take a break from writing code and programming things. Hopefully, no more games will turn up like tha — oh, Shenzhen I/O, hi.
Graham: I’m hoping to be playing a new 4X strategy game this weekend; which one, I don’t yet know. I’m hoping because the alternative is that I collapse back into FIFA 17, which I don’t like very much but which is familiar and comforting and embraces me like quicksand. Warm and suffocating.
John: My entire weekend is likely to be Mafia III, so we can get you a review for Monday. No review code was sent out ahead of release, which proved to be a bad sign with Mafia II when the same happened. I’m hopeful they just forgot this time around.
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing board games. Specifically Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower. I’ve never Warhammered before in my life in any form but have absorbed a lot of the names and races just because Warhammer is this continuing presence alongside and inspiring/interlinked with digital gaming. The Age of Sigmar stuff sounds interesting, plus I’ve watched my partner paint all these tiny models over a period of months until we now have a shelf of these gorgeously detailed grotesque plastic friends. Also it means I get to eat a lot of nachos.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

JiminyJickers says:

I was hoping to play Mafia, but waiting for the patch to unlock the frame rate first. So in the meantime playing NBA 2k17 until that happens.

Maybe start on Aragami as well, but waiting on a patch to sort out the camera issues. May give in and play it anyway because I have been playing 2k17 for 3 weeks straight.

2. LearningToSmile says:

Since I just built a new high-end PC, I’m replaying Witcher 3, this time with an intention of finishing it. And in 1440p ultra instead of 768p low.

Also thinking of maybe getting some other eyecandy games that I never tried because I didn’t have a machine to run them well, but I don’t really have an idea of what to start with yet. If anyone has a suggestion for recent games with lots of graphical bells and whistles that are worth checking out, hit me up.

(Also playing Overwatch, but that’s more of a constant.)

• golem09 says:

New hardware eye candy gaming. Good times.

• Hebrind says:

I would recommend Batman: Arkham Knight, as it’s not the hot mess it used to be and you can currently get the “Premium” edition with all the neat missions, characters, costumes and batmobiles included for like £6-8. I got the premium edition for about £8.99 and honestly it’s one of the best purchases I made this year, brilliant game. Gorgeous too, little things like when gliding from a building watching all the little dops of rain fly of Batman’s cape, and some of the character modelling and texturing is incredible.

Edit: in-game screenshot I took on my old setup (GTX 780, 1080p)
      link to images.akamai.steamusercontent.com

• zarthrag says:

Just picked up this deal. Playing it this weekend. I’m enjoying all of it after avoiding for all the bad press. 1440p60 rock-solid on a single RX480, and having a blast half-way through.

• Hebrind says:

I too very recently upgraded to 1440p gaming, (GTX 1070 8GB) and frankly I haven’t encountered a game out there so far that doesn’t benefit from the upgrade. Even something like FTL: Faster Than Light is easier to see and play, and that’s hardly a AAA-grade looking game. (Still mint, though.)

GTA V, Any Total War game, ARMA 3, MGSV, Project CARS, and XCOM 2… those are the games I’ve so far been playing most and they’re all gorgeous.

• Tetrode says:

If you haven’t played them yet, some awesome eye candy games would be Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light. Pick up the Metro Redux package and bask in both their beautiful post apocalyptic glory.

They’re also fucking good games regardless of the graphics so win win!

• McGuit says:

More Witcher 3 for me too.
      Fantastic game!

AutonomyLost says:

Rise of the Tomb Raider is stunning, and absolutely on par with anything I’ve played as far as graphics go with all the options cranked. Gorgeous game, and quite fun to boot. Atrocious storyline/dialogue for the most part though. Portrayed well, but written terribly.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. The Evil Within. Alien Isolation. They’re a bit old but oh so pretty.

I have a screenshot from The Evil Within DLC in my wallpaper rotation and it always blows me away at how nice it looks.

3. dethtoll says:

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X HD on PS3. Graphics-wise it’s far and away an improvement over the original versions — a complete update of the lighting engine, and even the water has some fancy new shaders. Gameplay-wise it’s unchanged, and eeeuuuuughhhhh.

This was always my least favorite of the early pre-4 RE games; I found it entirely too frustratingly difficult, though on this replay I’m discovering how thoroughly handy the knife is compared to its predecessors. Hopefully this will help me conserve ammo a little more easily.

I might also have a sit down with the original, Japanese King’s Field (translated to English by the legendary John Osborne, of course.)

• crowleyhammer says:

Is this the one set on a prison? i found it really hard and gave up and stopped once i encountered creatures who could hit me from off screen.

• dethtoll says:

That’s practically all the old REs, but yes. About halfway through the game switches to Antarctica for that old fashioned The Thing vibe.

I complain about RE0 a lot, but it’s a far sight more entertaining than Code Veronica ever was.

4. Kefren says:

A bit more Warlock Master Of The Arcane (good fun). I also started Prison Architect, which is surprisingly fun when I am not being foiled by UI/system issues that I don’t understand yet (e.g. why my solitary cells had exclamation marks saying they weren’t enclosed by walls and doors when they bloody were, and then when I got that sorted the cell block only houses one prisoner at a time and he wanders around cell to cell; meanwhile 20 engineers were shuffling around outside a door for nearly five days, unable to open it, and I was told there weren’t enough cells when I could see some of them were empty.) It is still fun and I assume I’ll learn the reasons later and slap my forehead.

I also hope to persuade my friends to try VR.

Finally, trying to get through my backlog. I gave up on: Mark Of The Ninja; Tomb Raider (reboot); and Resident Evil Revelations.

• Vintageryan says:

Have not played Prison Architect for a while but from what I remember it sounds like you might off made the cell entrance hex part of the cell as well, the hex where the door goes needs to kept clear.

• Kefren says:

Yes, I eventually found that in a forum – my other issue was that I’d accidentally extended a square into open space, and spent ages trying to find out how to “unassign” a room square without replacing it with another room type. At least once you know these things it is easy in future.

5. RaunakS says:

It took me some 6 months to get all the achievements for TIS 100 and some of the user created levels still gives me nightmares. I’m not emotionally or mentally ready for Shenzhen I/O, but the heart wants what it wants, I suppose. It’s the best time to devote 48 hours to completing it, especially now that the entire city is out celebrating all day and night due to the pujas.

6. A Wanderer says:

That will be The Witcher, first of its name.
    It’s a strange experience, frankly.
    The combat system ranges from good (the use of potions) to awful (the combo system), without forgetting the hilariously broken (the Aard sign which, upgraded, can chain-stun pretty much everything)
    The sex cards are fucking stupid ; though I understand the idea of not having in-engine sex scenes that would look awful, the pin-up like cards really feel like Pokemon I have to catch and not, you known, human beings. Also Triss’s outfits. God.

Strangely enough, it’s still a wonderful game. The ambience is abolutely wondrous, on a par with TW3. Even with the cloned NPC, this world feels alive. The music contributes to it ; the ambience tracks are probably the best I’ve ever heard, period. And I like the way certain mechanics, like the meditation mechanic, seem to be there only to make you feel you are a witcher, despite serving no real gameplay purpose.

All in all, it’s quite peculiar to play it after TW3. It’s like a focused, extremely flawed but still good, limited but ambitious version of the third game. The fact that CD Projekt only needed one more game (the least good one, in my opinion) to go from this to the masterpiece that is TW3 still amazes me.

(As a side note : bloody hell, that thing runs awfully on modern systems.)

I also discovered that there are still people playing the Mass Effect 3 coop multiplayer. Makes me want to try it again.

EDIT : There is an edit button ? THERE IS AN EDIT BUTTON !

• Laurentius says:

QFT, while music and sound dsign in W2 and W3 are top notch quality, still W1 is the best in that regard.

7. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I’m really not sure actually. Just finished the Last of Us on the cerealbox last night and not sure what to tackle next. It was…ok, I guess. It grew on me, and the characters especially grew on me, but by the end I just felt like I was playing a game, if you know what I mean. I wasn’t immersed. Too many silly decisions made by people without your say so.

Think I’ll dive back into Witcher 3 for some story I can control a bit. Also very tempted by the cut price Dark Souls 3 on Steam. Have been getting a bit of a Souls hankering again. Might be time to fall back in.

EDIT: Because I can. Edit! Woo!

8. Sin Vega says:

I’m playing an obscure gem called Stumble Across Proof That The People Who Ripped You Off Are Commiting Many Crimes, Then Report Them While Cackling. It is the most fun I have had for years.

Also having another crack at Bionic Dues. If I had time I’d do the whole Arcen catalogue, I’m in that kind of mood.

Lars Westergren says:

That Stumble Across thing does sound fun.

*raises glass*

• Horg says:

SAPTTPWRYOACMC:TRTWC, most exciting new entry in the breakout genre journalists are calling ”Shadenfreude’m-ups”.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Bionic Dues is so, so fun. I keep meaning to go back and try it on one of the harder difficulties. Last time I played (3rd campaign on either Normal or Hard, I forget), I so totally outperformed the Bots that the climatic final battle was against seven ordinary enemies and no bosses. Hilarious, but slightly disappointing. This time I think I’ll give them the edge and see if it gets any harder – as its an Arcen game I expect they’ll kick my arse from here to the moon.

• malkav11 says:

I really wanted to like Bionic Dues but the way you can get one-shot killed and immediately fail the mission without any warning or do-over is a bit of a turn-off.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I can’t say I’ve ever had that happen to me that I remember, but coming from a roguelike background I suspect I’m subconsciously using tricks that others might not have immediately picked up on. Use your exo with the best sensors to scan the area every now and then, then switch back to an exo with smaller sensor-radius and use the whistle ability to lure enemies into areas you’ve already cleared or at least explored – never fight foes in unknown terrain if you can avoid it. If you don’t know what’s behind a door, seriously consider blowing it up from as long a range as possible (the only doors that have high hp, you may have noticed, you can ‘see’ through with your sensors). Get sentry turrets. Abuse sentry turrets. Ambushes work extremely well, and you should always be fighting the enemy on your terms. It’s much like a puzzle game in that regard.

Which brings me to the most important point- ALWAYS be aware of what each individual ‘bot you’re facing can do. If you’re being one-shotted seemingly without warning, and you’re following those usual roguelike guidelines, chances are the enemy in question had some special ability that took you by surprise (I got caught out by the sniper foes that make nearby cover explode anytime they attack, once or twice, but soon figured out their game).

Honestly Bionic Dues feels like one of the fairer games of its type to me. It gives you a TON of information to work with, and in particular the ability to detect enemies long before you actually fight them is amazing to have in a roguelike-ish setting. Seriously consider taking a science exo and boosting its sensors as high as you can. Try playing… Tuck, was it? The guy whos sensors can see through solid obstacles. Get into the habit of having your toughest, hardiest exo active any time you’re not using one of the others for something, and put as much shield-boosting kit onto it as you can, just so that if something unexpected does happen, you have that buffer. Don’t neglect the importance of choosing your missions carefully either, if you feel your exos are too fragile, go looking for shieldworks and the like.

I hope this is at least a little bit of help if you do decide to try again. It’s a very odd, puzzly experience, but it’s a very fun one, at that.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, I get that there are ways to avoid those kills…and the more you play the more such dangers you’ll be aware of and the more tricks you’ll know to deal with them. But it can still happen, and it’s the sort of thing that doesn’t make me want to go back to it at all.

• Sin Vega says:

For what it’s worth, I generally loathe roguelikes precisely because of that kind of “ha ha, fuck you” death, but after a couple of abortive missions followed by a restart, I found Bionic Dues unusually fair in that regard. It helps to take things very slowly too, and be sure to read everything about any bots/items/etc you encounter. It occasionally screws you but usually in such a manner that can be predicted if you think about how the various enemies’ abilities might interact against you (as opposed to ‘ha ha, you should have psychically divined that was going to happen, now start again’).

It’s still really frustrating when you lose a bot though, and/or get a really nasty level. And the ominous threat of the final assault makes it really tempting to give up if you have a rough patch as it seems futile, but I don’t know how true it is.

• MondSemmel says:

Ooh, another Arcen fan. Bionic Dues was excellent.
      Incidentally, I just learned of the following yesterday, and thought I’d spread the good news <3: link to arcengames.com

caff says:

Dying Light. Only recently have I had a super computer powerful enough to run it.

10. Pogs says:

The Division. I picked it up last week in the steam sale and am really enjoying it. Taking it a bit slow because of coming 1.4 revamp but loving it so far.

11. Aetylus says:

Atlas Reactor. Final someone invented a MOBA for Old Men (MOBAFOM?). Turn-based, reflexes of a 14 year old not required. You even pay the old fashioned way with simple up-front money rather than that micro-transaction malarkey. Its got bits of X-com, bits of frozen synapse, all with online brawler goodness. Its luverly.

12. Spacewalk says:

Scorched Earth against myself :(

13. dahools says:

I’m sure if you send us a review code and thus save us fifty quid and a weeks wait we would all be playing Civ VI now, all weekend and beyond.

So in a nice polite way, don’t rub it in, shut up and keep it to yourself until next week!

Many thanks,

I am going out to drink my self into oblivion and watch our joke of a national team get a probably lucky win against Malta because I don’t have a copy of CIV VI i could be playing instead!

Everyone who isn’t playing Civ VI yet enjoy your weekend while you still have one. As they will start seeming much shorter after one more turn.

Rant over, :)

14. Miked says:

Rise Of The Tomb Raider – enjoying clambering about and taking many many screenshots. I’m getting good at hunting squirrels.

15. melnificent says:

Oh Adam, As much as I want to play Civ VI there’s this little problem of 2K not releasing the game yet. Except for every gaming youtuber and reviewer on the planet.

So yes, everyone that reviewers or streams gets a copy, but the paying customer has to wait nearly a month after those lucky “few”.

16. zsd says:

The Bioshock 2 remaster. It’s still compelling, even if it’s a crashy mess that has me constantly paranoid saving.

• welverin says:

While Bioshock 2 crashed on me more than any other modern game, it was nothing compared to Minerva’s Den. That may as crashed as much as every hour or two, really lends credence to their initial decision to not release it on PC.

Lars Westergren says:

A little bit of the Bioshock 1 puzzle levels, they are fun.

Rocksmith 2014 Remastered.

Pillars of Eternity, going through the White March for the first time.

Watching Wasteland 3 getting financed. 99% there, probably more if you count PayPal.

18. Jokerme says:

I’m playing Twin Sector. Yeah I am. Bought it on Steam yesterday for 1$ and I was quite curious about it for a while now. My first ten minutes were not bad at all. We’ll see if it continues like that.

Also bought DARK from the same sale. I love vampire games with a focus on story.

Andy_Panthro says:

After watching Rich Stanton stream a bit of MGS5 last night, I’m quite tempted to load that up again.

Last time, I got to about mission 20, and then drifted off to play other things. But watching him play reminded me how fun the game is, sneaking around and fultoning everything in sight.

20. Morcane says:

The only think I picked up is BUTCHER, and it’s properly hard and took most of my scarce gaming time this week …. Eye’ing Mafia 3, but I’ll hold off – next week we have Gears 4 and BF1 starts coming up on the horizon…

21. yogibbear says:

I dunno…. between Forza’s latest patch making the stuttering worse for me and there not being really anything else that runs stable on PC and new… probably Rocket League and might fire up some Resident Evil 4.

Ben King says:

hopefully a bit of MGSV again, or spectating witcher3. With any luck a friend might invite me out to play a board game called Talisman which I have never done before. …and one last grilling out before uncomfortably cold weather sets in.

23. Veles says:

Possibly some Rocket League. Definitely some Pokemon X. Hopefully some Arkham Horror.

24. Barberetti says:

7 Days To Die. Again.

Also, I am playing the Flat Hunting game, with a bit of Looking For A Decent Motorbike in between.

I will probably play some Beer Drinking later on.

• inspiredhandle says:

Did you find a bike? Is it a triumph Daytona? Mind if I have a go of it? 😘

Have been eying them up recently. (The 1000cc one not the newer 675)

• Barberetti says:

Didn’t get the chance to check any out in the end. Like that Daytona though!

• inspiredhandle says:

She’s a beaut. Am determined to get one when I make the brave jump from the 600 to the 1000. The shrewd thing to do would be to get one now as it’s getting colder and bikes cheaper (assuming northern hemisphere). Making that torque jump coming into winter though? 😐

Have a zx-6r j1 seeing as how you asked. 🙂

Captain Narol says:

Pip, don’t get fooled by the flashy colors, everything related to The Age of Sigmar is utter creative heresy !

It’s really a pity when an editor destroy a great popular fantasy world they created just because they want to grab more money by pushing something new instead of keeping building on the great assets they already have.

Happened already before when TSR dropped the rich and complex World of Greyhawk that was D&D first setting for the far less imaginative Forgotten Realms, I’m deeply sad to see it happen again now to the Old World of Warhammer Fantasy.

26. Lumière says:

Banished. The goal is to have a 500 population without anyone starving. ~plays Mission Impossible Theme (on mandolin)

• inspiredhandle says:

I think I got to a population of about 1000 or so with absolutely no trouble before a minor shortage (shoes or something equally stupid) caused an infrastructure cascade failure which led to huge population dieoff. Didn’t stop till about 250. Was brutal. Good game

27. michelangelo says:

Last week I finished original Deus Ex with adult mind perspective, and well—it simply doesn’t age. It is amazing, how relevant it still is and how it observe its sequels from faaaar above. Silly ending and by its time gaming industry requested presence of aliens are just relicts of its time, therefor doomed to be filtered by my mind. I even took some PICTURES from this holliday.

Anyway, this is the reason, why now I am thinking about confronting adult eye perspective with Thief(s), or 2nd System Shock.

• Kaeoschassis says:

One thing I can promise you (although I fully encourage you to find this out for yourself regardless) is that the first two Thief games do NOT age. At all. It does help a bit that they take place primarily in the dark, I suppose, but still. Deadly Shadows is also still excellent, indeed, years after the expectations of the time have died, it may actually be BETTER than it was on release.

• michelangelo says:

Oh, I am pretty sure of it. In a way, more you carry with yourself, more you can find in books, movies, games of certain depth/level of qualities. And first Thief(s) as well as System Shock(s), are such examples in games. Makes me excited to give them another round with older me.

OT—Ultimate example of it in cinematography would be 2001: Space Odyssey. That movie grow with me and with years distance between every watching it always makes me see more in its horizont ✦.

28. RustyGeneral says:

Two games this weekend: “Self Control” and “For How long Can T Not Look at the Dark Souls III Promotion.” Both best played in a dark room, locked, and without electricity.

29. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

I just bought a flight stick to finally play a bunch of stuff I had in my library, both of the simmy (Il-2 Sturmovik 1946, Rise of Flight) and of the arcadey persuasion. I had always postponed the installation thinking: “Nah, let me grab a massive shaft first”. Then I found out that about half of those games are console ports that don’t support said massive shaft and demand a controller or, like Dogfight 1942, don’t allow me to rebind the buttons.

So, yeah, I’ll mostly be playing Il-2 Sturmovik with a bit of DOOM multiplayer to relax myself: a nice, low skill manshoot to ease the pain of the 126th failed landing of the day.

• P.Funk says:

You should also give DCS World a chance. It has free content so you can take a de-fanged P-51 for a spin across the Black Sea. Even after many hours of IL-2 the extra realism in the DCS model made it a sharp learning curve. So much more alive as a vehicle.

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

I saw a few videos of DCS world and…it’s a bit too much for me. I’m sure it’s great but, when I fired up Il-2 for the first time in decades, I had to watch a few introductory videos just to remember what “trimming” the plane means and how torque works. I wasn’t really up to date with flight sims since the late 90s/early 2000s.
        Taming the wild stallion that is the engine of a MiG 3 and turning a Sopwith Camel without ripping its fucking wings off is challenging enough for now, but I’ll keep that title in mind in the future!

30. robertlepervers says:

Fans of Alec Meer? Does that exist?

31. gabrielonuris says:

Castlevania – Symphony of The Night, PlayStation version with Mednafen emulator. Yep, it’s my first time. And yep, I’m loving it, everything in it simply works towards the players’ sense of fun and discover, unlike some indie titles I’ve played recently that tries to hard to look like a “metroidvania” game, but fails amongst an excess of repetition and forceful waste of time (I’m not saying the names to avoid fanboyism hate).

• welverin says:

After that I’d recommend the GBA and DS Castlevanias (if you have the means to play them), they’re the ones that turned Metroidvania into a thing instead just a few odd games. I’ll the two GBA Metroids in there as well.

The only one I didn’t enjoy at the time was Order of Ecclesia, because the first boss that shows up very early was a pain and I had reached the point where I no longer will to put a lot of effort into getting good at games.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

There’s a GBA cart called the Castlevania Double Pack which has both Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow on it. It is a lot of good game in a tiny package.

Circle of the Moon as I understand is more like classic Castlevania.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

If you have not played it, make sure you look up a guide after you beat it as there’s some pretty cool stuff in the game that is easily missed.

32. welverin says:

I’ve played quite a bit of Deus Ex Mankind Divided this week, vacation, but with D&D tonight and some things needing to get done today there won’t be a lot of time for games.

Tomorrow I’ll be watching (American) football since I’ll actually get to watch the team I like and need to do some weekly stuff in Destiny that I’ve ignored all week because of Deus Ex, so likely no more of that.

particlese says:

Yesterday was “clean up after hurricane Matthew”, which was pretty all right but slightly bloody thanks to some bougainvillea, but I’m currently working on “the Kennedy Space Center is closed today because of hurricane Matthew”, which has no redeeming qualities so far.

There might also be Devil Daggers and ESO, as a result.

Edit: To whom do I give my kingdom, now that we have an edit button?

• Blackcompany says:

Dont know if you will read this later or not, but my heart goes out to you on the Hurricane Matthew thing. I used to live south of Jacksonville, FL, and I still have family there. They say its…not pretty, especially closer to the coast.

Be well. I hope you find some time for enjoyment in there somewhere.

particlese says:

Thank you! I was staying in Melbourne with a friend, and it was potentially going to hit there real hard, but he’s behind the barrier island, and fortunately the worst we got was a downed palm tree and a bit of fence, plus two days without power. Some relatives had it better, some neighbors had it worse, but another relative out on the ocean had to evacuate and everything. Not sure how bad his place was hit, but yeah…probably isn’t pretty. In the aftermath, I’ve found time to enjoy the cleanup work (minus the stabby plants) and some body surfing on another beach.

Anyway, I hope your family and their things are doing well, too. Glad they’re well enough to give you updates, at least!

34. SaintAn says:

I got a game called Slime Rancher in the Humble Monthly and tried it to see what it was and got hooked. It’s really fun, though there are some flaws because I’m 7 hours in and have 30,000 money and nothing to spend it on since I already bought everything.

So that. Endless Space 2 and Endless Legend too. And I’ll probably get started on my yearly playthrough of Bully since it seems to be working on Win 10 now. I play Bully every October. Love games with seasons and holidays, plus Bully makes me nostalgic for my time I spent in a criminal group home when I was a young teen.

And I’ll be continuing my new game of Stardew Valley.

• Chairman_Meow says:

Endless Legend is great, if you get the expansions I recommend taking them one at a time. It can be overwhelming if you take them en masse.
      Also LICHTSPEER is a great value at $10. Not too deep but an excellent “flow state” kind of game.

35. Ejia says:

Endless Space. My stars, I should’ve gotten to this sooner.

I have to get used to building things on a per-system basis as opposed to the age old per-planet one, and I find it odd that you press shift to add research items to the queue but press ctrl to select additional ships in a fleet, but other than that I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Edited to add, because I can, praise be to the edit function.

36. SuicideKing says:

Now that I know that my laptop can somewhat run Arma 3, I’ll be playing with Folk ARPS again, on Sunday :D

I’ve also discovered the brilliant Iron Front port to Arma 3, known as IFA3LITE in the steam workshop.

And of course, Wargame: Red Dragon.

37. Frank says:

Yeah, I’d really like to play Civ VI. In lieu of that, at least there’s a guy posting hours of it to youtube every day (under the handle filthyrobot) with interesting commentary.

38. Chaoslord AJ says:

Witcher 3, both DLCs, death march, this time I’ll do a sign-caster-approach, try Gwent in earnest for the first time and read the lore for a change.

39. briangw says:

While everyone is whining about Mafia 3 and the dumb fps issue, I’m actually playing it and having a great time so far. The actors, characters, story…far outdo any of the technical glitches here and there. Runs very smooth on my rig I just built.

Also, I’m one of those relics from the Commodore 64 days who have seen the worst in graphics so I marvel at the new tech that’s out these days. So while everyone complains about it, just remember it could be a lot worse if we didn’t have these advances. Me? I’m heading back to continue my vengeful path of destruction!!!

40. Iamblichos says:

Trying to play Clockwork Empires, but finding the learning curve rather steep and annoying. Everything seems to almost do what you want… but then not. Blast.

41. Monggerel says:

I am legally obligated to cry once every quadrennial, so today I’m watching Terminator 2.

That’s a MOBA, right?

42. malkav11 says:

Assuming I get round to any gaming at all this weekend, seemingly increasingly unlikely between Westworld, Marvel’s Luke Cage, and a few other things, I will likely be splitting that time between WoW and the IFComp 2016 games. So far, so Twine, which miffs me a tad – I just don’t find Twine equivalent to the delights of a good parser IF. But I’ll live.

There’s a chance I might go back to Mankind Divided, but only if the latest Nvidia drivers happen to resolve the horrific graphical problems I’m having with it.

AutonomyLost says:

I watched the second episode of Westworld last night and am loving the series thus far. I was not aware of its Michael Chricton origins before the show began; it’s interesting to draw the parallels between it and Jurassic Park. I like that nowadays they can take a storyline, or concept, from a novel and extend it enough to properly pay homage in visual form. It makes for some great drama. Except Game of Thrones. Fuck that show. Praise ASoIaF books.

• Veles says:

I don’t think this one is actually based on a book. If I remember right he wrote the original film but it was never a book.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, Westworld was an original screenplay. Word is that Crichton later remixed the concept as Jurassic Park. I haven’t actually seen the movie – not sure how well it would hold up today. But the show definitely seems to be taking a different, more nuanced and idea-heavy approach than what I’ve heard of the movie, and I am loving it.

43. Sinky says:

Shenzhen I/O. I don’t know why I bought it, I was too stupid for TIS-100.

• invitro says:

I think it’s a fair bit easier than TIS-100 in the part that I’ve played. Being able to have two registers instead of one helps a lot. And thank goodness there’s a queue, instead of needing to assemble two stacks into a queue. Anyway, I’m playing SHENZHEN I/O, and also Kingdom: New Lands.

44. Gomer_Pyle says:

I am hoping to get some Devil Daggers and Prison Architect (caved in and got the Humble Bundle) in this weekend as well as give Sniper Elite 3 a go since it is free for this weekend.

45. Zenicetus says:

I bought into the early access for Endless Space 2, and started fooling around with it. The changes from ES1 look promising. The underlying game engine is running very smoothly but it’s definitely an Alpha state game, with plenty of balancing and polish needed. It’s different enough from Stellaris that I’ll probably want to keep both on the hard drive as alternative takes on a space 4X game.

Other than that, probably some more co-op Divinity Original Sin (first one) tonight with the wife.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Still playing Divinity Original Sin. Mostly because I don’t have anything else that interests me right now. I’m still liking it but I’m getting to that point where I might have to start focusing only on the main quest as I am 40+ hours in and still in the first area.

47. rahji says:

Final Fantasy XIII. Almost 40 hours in, it is starting to get really good. Some of the fights are just plain stupid because the enemies focus on your main character and if he dies it is game over. But in generally it is a very cool combat system.

• floogles says:

Nice! One of my favourite combat systems. As the game went on, i came to love the combat planning.

If you haven’t played it, The Last Remnant does something different from regular combat as well, which I enjoyed for similar reasons. Also has Japanese VA.

48. Scandalon says:

Doom. (2016)

RPS Edit-button testing.

Fix the Mother-in-law’s car.

49. RaymondQSmuckles says:

I’ve been enjoying my new gaming laptop, 17″ MSI GS73VR; a significant step up from my old 330m 512MB gaming laptop to this GeForce 1060 6GB rig. The screen is 1080, so I just max out all graphical settings and am rediscovering games that I had to play in low graphics quality. So I’m flitting between a bunch of games:

Shadow Warrior (2015)
    Skyrim (OMG at max settings… I didn’t know what I was missing)
    Dark Souls
    Crysis 2
    Portal Stories: Mel
    Talos Principle
    and learning Blender (been a while since I touched a 3D modeler)

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Oh yeah, I’ve been through that phase. My old laptop could barely squeeze 30-40 FPS out of Shadow Warrior (Low settings all around) and it’s been one of the first few games I replayed when I finished building my shiny new rig. There are few things more satisfactory than going through an options menu that had shunned you and treated you like a beggar because you kept asking: “A bit lower please, sir?” and just throwing hardware horsepower at it: “Just go Ultra all around. No, don’t lock the framerate to 60, I can handle more than double that. Also, clean my shoes while I play, I have an important meeting with DOOM later.”

50. John Vakmos says:

Minecraft to use redstone for practicing stuff for an electronics class.

Magicka with a friend.

Fractured space because space ships.

Comment on this story