Dungeon of Zaar Is Crisp-Looking Turn-Based Strategy

Dungeon of Zaar [official site] is a fantasy turn-based strategy game from developer Dungeon of Zaar. Okay, if we were judging this game solely on the developer’s ability to choose a unique name I’d fail it immediately on principle. But a closer look reveals that this could actually be a decent little game, especially with art this good-looking. It’s got a demo so you can see for yourself.

It’s supposed to feature turn-based tactical gameplay that draws inspiration from games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Advance Wars with strategic elements from Magic: The Gathering and even Pokémon.

You’ll create a “Dungeon Explorer” (read: character) and battle either via single-player or PvP online with local hot seat mode for couch co-op. Or computer chair co-op, as it were. If it weren’t for these elements it might be relegated to the pile of samey strategy games out there chilling in the world, but I like that it’s trying to be ambitious.

The game’s still in its infancy on Kickstarter, with 23 days left to go to make its goal of 25,000€ (£22k/$28k). I dislike Kickstarters on principle, but if I were the type to kick back cash to these projects, this might be one I’d consider because of its slick-looking interface and the professionalism of it all. I’ll be interested in checking out if and when it gets funded.

Dungeon of Zaar has a pre-alpha demo available for Windows and Mac.

It’s expected for release on PC, Mac, Linux, and interestingly enough, Nintendo NX.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. gwop_the_derailer says:

I’m getting whiffs of Yu Yu Hakusho: Tournament Tactics as well.

Anyway, looks gorgeous!

2. April March says:

So cu~ute

3. AngoraFish says:

I’m struggling to see how this differs much from the current round of new hotness, such as Faeria and Duelyst… and Labyrinth for that matter.

I guess it’s not free to play, which has its advantages although less than one might think (smaller player base).

Regardless, as much as I like the art style, sadly I think I’m already up to my gills in this type of game and don’t have room for another.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

This is going to be one of those strategy games I buy almost entirely for the graphics, isn’t it?

Also, did they record that soundtrack in the same room as somebody typing an essay with a mechanical keyboard?

5. littlestcaesar says:

Looks kind of stale to me and more like a mobile game. Just like Hero Academy which was way ahead of it’s time and was forgotten before it succeeded.

6. invitro says:

So what comes before pre-alpha?

7. MikoSquiz says:

Look, you had me when you mentioned “Final Fantasy Tactics”, “Pokémon” and “Magic: The Gathering” all in one sentence. I’m in.

I always really wanted a Pokémon game that played like Final Fantasy Tactics, because the ‘mon games are pretty rank in their bland simplicity and grindiness, and I love Final Fantasy Tactics but it could use a little less Final Fantasy. And I like Magic: The Gathering except for the part where you buy cards to build a deck with..

Comment on this story