Mafia III 1.01 Patch Fixes Framerates, Control Mapping

Mafia III [official site] might be a bit of a derivative drabfest, but the focus of ire from PC players has so far been on the lacking elements of the PC port. Framerates locked to 30, weird control mapping, and many crash bugs and dumb-ass AI. At least the first two of these issues have been addressed with a new patch.

To update your copy of Mafia III, you need to quit out of the game, head to your Steam Downloads page, and install the awaiting update. This will, once you’re in-game, allow you to change your framerate to 30, 60 or unlimited, from within the game’s display options.

It will also, unfortunately, reset all your previous control remapping, meaning if you’d previously amended its default design to something usable by players with only two hands, you’ll need to do that all over again. It has, however, made some common sense changes, like having getting into cars be on E as well as absolutely every other interaction, rather than barmily assigning it to F. They’ve also moved most the other controls to default to the left side of your keyboard, including confusing me by coincidentally picking V for intel view, as I’d picked before. The slight downside being that when I now try to reassign moving bodies to B, the game crashes. Sigh.

They’ve also rejigged the menu for setting controls, so it’s no longer in five hundred and seventeen different screens, but rather one long scrolling list. Sadly, however, the main options window is still deep inside that daft slide show of an Escape menu.

The launch window’s display settings have no effect – I don’t know if this was the case before, but it sure is now. I set my settings before launching, which it entirely ignored and then I set them again from inside the game. They would probably want to address this next, before the promised inclusion of options to change the clothes you’re wearing.

More patches are due, they say. Presumably players will let them know in no uncertain terms what key issues 1.01 failed to address.

From this site

1. Metalfish says:

Surely in an age where most copies of (er, for PC at least, I assume) games are sold digitally, there’s something that can be done to prevent the broken-game-at-launch problem? It’s not like the publishers don’t know what’s on the disc they’re selling, right?

• LazyAssMF says:

Well in the olden days games needed to be in tip-top shape at launch ’cause patching was really, really difficult because most ppl didnt have internet. You bought the game on floppy or, later, CD and you had a proper working title.
      Nowadays everybody has internet and devs have an excuse to release broken-ass games ’cause they can patch them later.
      Also games are a lot more complicated than they used to be (especially for unlimited PC’s hardware configs) which means a lot more work has to be done to squash all the bugs and optimize them thus a lot more time and money needed which money-hungry publishers are not willing to put out.

gritz says:

Nah, games were just as broken back in the day as they are now, regardless of how easy it was to patch.

• hpoonis says:

gritz says:

That’s pure speculation. Pre-digital-download I cannot recall any title I purchased which failed to work, or appeared “broken”. I agree with the original poster. Entertainment is now delivered in the easiest way available with as little corporate financial outlay as possible.

EG., ‘reality TV’: little or no overheads, no production value, no script/screenplay, no rehearsal; appeals to those who are quite happy to watch fungus grow and call it entertaining.

Samsung: delivering version 7 of note with battery design flaws, as they have been on a yearly release schedule for a while now. Here’s something which may help: stop altering the physical battery shape/size and people can re-use old batteries!

…and finally: the recent white elephant which caused a media furore: No Man’s Sky. No beta testing involved here.

It is far cheaper and easier to release something which works and can get people slaving over a hot keyboard faster than ever before. If the delivery medium was so expensive that to release any fixes would have been a drain on profits then it makes sense to spend a little more time on the development process and a lot less time employing moronic middle-management and marketing munters whose only mandate is to push the company wares onto the public whether the product is fit for use, or not.

• LazyAssMF says:

When ppl stop pre-ordering games blindly thats when things could/will change for the better. But you see how that’s going. :/

Ppl still pre-order like crazy and basically pay publishers in advance so they release buggy and unoptimized games. And it’s getting worse and worse every year. :(

• Optimaximal says:

They do it because despite not only having a buggy game to complain about, they get a delightful piece of mass-produced sweat-shop tat disguised as a ‘Collectors’ piece.

• P.Funk says:

Gamers truly seem to be some of the worst consumers in terms of self hating practices.

• A Wanderer says:

That’s one of the pros of always having a shitty PC and upgrading years after everyone else. I never pre-ordered anything, and I can play most of the games I buy with all the patches.

• hollowroom says:

I’ve got a bit of a ninja PC and I do this anyway. I just started playing Fallout 4 this week.

• NotGodot says:

It’s my understanding that the code needs to be locked in in advance of release. I think it’s for certification? So the idea is to use day one (or as close to day one) patches worked on in the interim to make up for that.

They could delay the game, but I think something like half of lifetime sales tend to be in the first week, so having the right first week is a big deal.

2. yogibbear says:

I know that maybe Mafia II didn’t tickle John’s fancy that much, but personally it was pretty much awesome so I was hoping Mafia III would build on what they’d done previously and be more of the same. Then I saw this video and oh my goodness didn’t they stuff this game up (It’s a comparison between Mafia II and III features): link to youtube.com

• dontnormally says:

This video made me really want to replay Mafia II.

• poliovaccine says:

That video makes a good illustration of just how much some people sell it short. There are fair complaints to level at it, but when people call it an empty open world I just don’t see that… I honestly never finished the story mission because the mod which lets you just play a Freeride type sandbox with yr three buddies conflicts with yr ordinary saves… and I just got too involved in that to even wanna go back. I have *fun* going around basically roleplaying, robbing or extorting businesses, getting in car chases, etc, etc… and then in between, settling into my pad with a nice cold one before going out again and spending that hard-earned cash on clothes and shoe shines and food and pretending to be normal – actually *repairing* my car instead of just stealing a new one, because I’ve already paid to have this one painted to my liking, etc, etc – doing all that little stuff that makes the world feel at least as immersive as San Andreas, if not GTAIV or GTAV (that series being the gold standard anyway).

I know San Andreas had skill points and Hot Coffee and etc, etc, it definitely had more content like that, but in Mafia II, as that video does a good job of showing, it was more about the little things. How many lightswitches worked for no good reason, how you had a proper melee fighting element when you didn’t need it, how broken glass was persistent and had physics, how your character doesn’t clip thru dead bodies, he puts his foot on top of them, the way police communicate, the tense few moments after you’ve pulled a gun on a clerk between it being a quick, clean robbery or a messy robbery/homicide, the way those persistent shell casings and particle effects of the asphalt really make a difference to the atmosphere when those spent casings start to pile up beside your tommygun while the streets are increasingly torn apart as more police pour into your killzone – not to mention, actually getting arrested! and bribing officers! sadly forgotten values, tsk tsk… it’s all stuff I feel people must overlook when they call Mafia II’s city “empty.” It’s not a Ubicon infestation, but it’s got a lot of nice little details which lean a lot more towards the realm of “simulation” rather than “minigames,” and I, for one, prefer that anyday. I like that you can go bowling and date in GTAIV, it’s cool, but it’s just as tedious as going out on a date with any real life girl whose idea of a good time is bowling… I never actually wind up doing it, I just kinda appreciate it’s there. Whereas having an actually watchable TV in his apartment scored way more points with me. Though looking at those last few statements, maybe that’s just more a personal reflection…*

Anyway! Mafia II did not have an “empty” open world. It was just full to the brim with the sort of things you might take for granted or outright miss.

*(seriously tho, you’d think of all games, GTAIV woulda let you date a girl who is actually some *fun*…)

• jonahcutter says:

He also did a Mafia 3 vs Mafia 1 comparison.

link to youtube.com

Both videos show how much attention to detail was present in the setting and systems in the first two games. And how much they are lacking in the third.

3. wykydtronik says:

That was a quick patch, good to see they made a quick turn around. Although they should have avoided this, I guess any pr is good pr

4. Zenicetus says:

I bought it because John’s review made me curious about some things. So far, on a technical level at least, I’m not seeing game-killing problems.

With the new patch I have FPS set to unlimited and it’s very smooth on my rig (fairly high-end but not top-end). I’ve seen a little clipping with a few NPC’s, and just one case of an enemy during combat who was stuck on some stairs. The AI in combat doesn’t do much besides popping up behind cover with occasional flankers anyway. So while I hope this is fixed, it’s not game-breaking for me that I can easily head-shot a few AI glitches.

The game world looks okay. It has a “scaled up from lower res” look, but it’s interesting enough. I play a game like this for the atmosphere and setting, so I may be overlooking things that others might care about, I dunno. It’s good enough to tell the story, so far.

5. BadManiac says:

Still doesn’t even start on a large portion of PC’s with older CPU’s. Same issue as MGSV and No Man’ Sky had.

• EvaUnit02 says:

The system requirements are listed right there on the Steam page.
      link to store.steampowered.com
      Nobody’s fault but their own if they can’t read before purchasing a product.

Core 2 Quads and AMD Phenoms are 8-10 years old now. Developers can’t support ancient ass hardware forever.

• emsir says:

You can’t expect to play new games with older CPU’s. If you want to play new games, you have to buy new hardware. All these complaints about the game doesn’t start and crashes, are hardware related. And in some cases it’s also cracked games. I have played this game on 4 computers and no problems. Runs just fine.

• A Wanderer says:

What’s up exactly with old CPUs ? Like, no one would expect Mafia III to be supported and running correctly on a GT540M. So why do people freak out when they can’t run the game on a 10-year-old CPU ?

• pepperfez says:

Because the performance of old CPUs isn’t usually a limiting factor in running games. It’s the less visible features that old processors don’t support that make games fail, so it seems arbitrary to the end-user.

6. cairbre says:

I bought it before I read any of the reviews and while I have had some fun with it. Im only 4-5 hours in the engine does feel dated kinda Staints Row era like John said which was slightly dated when it came out. I paid full price which stings a little but I would pay €25 in a steam sale. 6/10

7. racccoon says:

I WAS looking forward to this game but ports suck so I’ll now wait till its in the bin.

8. DigitalSignalX says:

No word on cars sounding like dentist drills?

9. Aetylus says:

I really don’t know which is stranger. That so many people get so uncontrollably angry about 30FPS. Or that devs must know this and still release games capped at 30FPS that they can patch following a week of internet rage.

• inspiredhandle says:

I’d say the dev’s absolute refusal to make the fps uncapped from release is the most puzzling. The customer is always right after all.
      Insisting on higher fps than 30 in games is reasonable. My personal yardstick is 60fps at 1080 by 1920 resolution, not too fussy if I meet or exceed recommended specs.

• hollowroom says:

I’ve often wondered: is there a technical reason why the frame rate is capped, or is it just a cut and paste from the consoles?

I’m no programmer, but I can’t imagine it’s hard to uncap the framerate? I don’t understand why it’s not one of the first things they do.

• pepperfez says:

Some engines link frame rate to actual game behavior – AI and physics and such – and if you uncap the frame rate things go wonky. I don’t know if that’s the case here, but it is a thing that happens.

10. Costa_69 says:

Hello Mafia! Please disable the mirror and the instrument panel on the screen. AI bus. Preservation of the car in the garage

11. emsir says:

I don’t get it. Hardware on PC has been going through huge improvement and specs the last 2 years. Many people have 4K machines or at least 2K machines. Sli and big monitors with very high resolutions.
    Problem is that game developers don’t want to spend money making games for high-end computers. They just upscale graphics which are cheaper.
    If we want to play games on highest settings in 4K we have to pay double the price for games in the future. Even the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft are suffering from these issues. Game Developers will not put a lot of money in 4K. The profit will be affected. I have spend over 2000$ on my new machine. Playing games should be awesome…..but it’s not. I have played 1 game the last 8 months which made my eyes explode. The Rise Of Tomb Raider. Awesome in 4K with DX 12!
    All of us gamers must keep on pushing the developers to make games that matches new hardware. This Mafia III is Batman Arkham Knight all over again. Big fail!

Comment on this story