Explore The Murky Deep In Project Abyss’s Alpha Demo

Project Abyss [official site] is a 2D RPG survival game that’s just fought tooth and nail to be Greenlit on Steam. Now that it’s escaped the clutches of “will it or won’t it” that so many fledgling games fall victim to, it’s time to dive right in. The water’s fine! Okay, no more water puns, I promise.

Get your flippers wet with the game’s alpha demo (I lied about no more water puns) as you explore underwater wreckage, snap up loot, and fight off the nasties that dwell below the sea.

You might be a little tired of pixel graphics, but they’re used to decent effect here, with a good sense of murkiness and an aesthetic that really channels how it might feel to be chilling out so deep in the ocean. Plus, there are sharks and AI sea creatures as well as a day/night cycle and plantlife. No word yet on whether or not you can accidentally happen upon Dethklok recording their underwater album for fish, but there are Orcas hanging around.

There seems to be a lot going on here, and with customizable submarines, upgrades and other augments at your disposal you’ll be able to make your jaunt throughout the depths of the sea your own.

If this sounds like something you’d like to take a (shark) bite out of, you can nab the official demo of the first two areas now. Pop in and let us know what you think if you decide to take the plunge.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. jj2112 says:

Interesting, reminds me of The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human.

2. dontnormally says:

Looks lovely!

3. trashbat says:

This reminds me of EcoQuest, and no I didn’t remember that name, I found it with by searching for “dolphin adventure game 1993”

Good times. Objectively probably less good times so I won’t revisit it.

• poliovaccine says:

Ahh Ecco the dolphin, probably the single greatest hidden reference to the ketamine-fueled transdimensional isolation tank adventures of Prof. John C. Lilly and his experiences with our secret galactic arbiters, Earth Coincidence Control Office – ECCO – ever hidden in a childrens’ videogame… or am I thinking of the wrong dolphin adventure game?

4. April March says:

I like pixel art, but that just looks sloppy. In general, too, not just the art.

5. Niente says:

I fucking hate pixel graphics.

6. MrAdam says: