Try Out 30 Minutes Of Mighty No. 9 Dev’s ReCore

Not so sure about ReCore [official site]? Did Mighty No. 9 leave you feeling a litle unsure about the whole Comcept and Keiji Inafune thing? No one could blame you. Microsoft seeks to rectify any uncertainty you might have about the action platformer with the introduction of a 30-minute demo that’s up for grabs on Windows 10. Or at least get your attention if you hadn’t actually heard about the game.

The ReCore Trial Experience, as it’s called, isn’t really an experience so much as it’s just a demo that you can play on Windows 10 PCs or Xbox One if you have one of those. But if you decide you like what you see and want to buy the full game based on its merits, you can keep playing from where you left off in the demo, plus take your achievements with you.

In addition, for those who have already bought the game there are a few updates being rolled out alongside the demo with “audio and visual improvements” as well as fixes for “waypoints, achievement tracking, collision locations, checkpoints and respawn points.” So wins all around, whether you already purchased the game or simply want to give it a spin.

ReCore is available for £29.99/39,99€/$39.99 and is an Xbox Play Anywhere game, which means that purchasing the game digitally on either Windows 10 or Xbox One nets you the game on either platform.

From this site

1. welverin says:

From what I’ve read about how it turns into a grindy slog later on, this seems pretty scammy. Sucker people in with the promising start, before they get to the poor sections later in the game.

• JohnnyMaverik says:

I don’t think that’s fair. It’s a demo. If people are too lazy to do any research on the game other than play the demo and then buy it based on that experience alone, but have limited enough funds that they will feel particularly put out if the latter game experience is not up to scratch, then honestly, learn from those mistakes and do a little bit more research next time.

• Axyl says:

Wait, playing the demo now counts as being lazy? Goddamn, what are we expected to do, pull apart the code looking for mechanics we don’t like? That’s insane.
        Playing the demo SHOULD be a plenty representative experience to base a purchasing decision from. It’s literally the POINT of a demo.

• P.Funk says:

One could argue the demo is explicit advertizing and if the advertizing is misleading… and so forth.

• that_guy_strife says:

What P.Funk said. However, that demos are now corrupted and advertizing … that’s low. Seems to follow a trend with some larger publishers lately though, where the start of a game is fresh and enjoyable, yet has not much in common with the remainder half or three quarters, using the same mechanics in a time sinking and copy pasted manner.

• polecat says:

There was a great retrospective on this not so long ago – maybe an interview? Anyway, a rationale for why shareware stopped being a thing based on the permutations from good/bad demos linked to good/bad games. Anyone able to summon up a link from that mangled thought?

• C0llic says:

I’m not sure if it was an RPS article that talked about shareware, but the common consensus is usually that it gave too much away for free. As someone old enough to remember playing shareware chapters of games like Quake and Descent, I’d probably agree with that. I don’t think I bought a full version of Quake until many years later, and I played a lot of Descent, but the shareware version had so much game I never felt compelled to pay for the other chapters.

Demos really should be a thing again though. I think the accessibility of game footage is the only reason companies have gotten away with phasing them out.

• UncleLou says:

Unless the demo is something entirely different than the main game, I fail to see how the demo is “scammy” or even misleading.

It seems to be a case of the game getting a bit repetitive if you play the full game. Not sure how you expect the demo to, er, demonstrate that.

2. mechavolt says:

It would be nice if the Microsoft store made any sense. I follow the link to the store page, click “Try for free”. Then I get a message about how it is trying to push the download to my Xbox (which I don’t own). The button is now greyed out and says “You own this trial” but there is nowhere to click to play it.

I’m all for diversity in games purchases, and I think Steam has way too much power. But stuff like this is exactly why I keep using it.

• April March says:

Yeah, same thing here. Except I disagree about Steam – people may talk shit about Origin and uPlay and so on, but at least when you press the ‘Download’ button on those services you’re almost certain to download something.

Comment on this story