Meet Prey’s Female Non-Graham Protagonist

I’m certainly up for transforming into a mug in the new Prey [official site], Arkane’s upcoming ‘reimagining’ of Human Head’s 2006 sci-fi FPS, but I was less sold on my default form being our own Graham Smith. It’s not right, that. I don’t agree that games are (or should be) escapism but playing my own boss – the man who chases me around the virtual office with a virtual broom every day – just isn’t what I want.

Good news: if we’d like, we’ll also be able to play Prey as a lady. Her name is Morgan Yu too. And she doesn’t look like anyone I work with. Hear her in a new/old trailer.

That’s this trailer again but without Graham. Bethesda have quietly mentioned this option before, but now we’ve met Graham’s counterpart.

So yes, Prey will present you with a choice between the Morgans Yu. The official word:

“While this choice won’t change the story or how you interact with the world – because Morgan Yu is Morgan Yu, and he or she will be defined by the choices you make – it’s yet another way that Arkane is saying yes to the player.”

I’d say it does change the story a wee bit, given that men and women bring different expectations/implications/baggage even when behaving identically on an identical script, but the point is: I don’t have to be Graham.

I’m quite curious about this new Prey, which is being made by Dishonored mob Arkane. The connection to the original Prey so far appears tenuous to the point of pointlessness, but hey, it’s only a name. And while I was up for sci-fi bountyhunting of Human Head’s now-scrapped Prey 2, I’m also up for being a cup.

Prey is due some time in 2017, published by Bethesda Softworks.

From this site

Graham Smith says:

Why wouldn’t everyone want a turn at being me?

2. mercyRPG says:

SoOo weak and boring. Look at the original awesome Fantasto Blastastic Prey 2 trailer and weep how these idiots ruined it with the first coffee/skin shader crap video with the male protagonist.. AAArrg.. Whodunnit??! Send him/her to work in an Uranium Mine for punishment!

3. Kefren says:

It makes a huge difference. It determines which horror toilets I go into in games like Doom 3, System Shock 2, Half Life 1, and Duke Nukem (original). Will I get some ammo while I wee-wee? Or a slathering monster? It totally changes my playthroughs.

4. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

This…

I’m…

Hmm…

This is the most stupid idea for a sequel I’ve ever heard, and oh look it’s FPS horror on a spacestation, and yawn yawn, and yet…..

I’m getting intrigued. This almost looks interesting. The monster design. The developers. This could continue the Alien:Isolation lineage of System Shock inspired, AAA shooters doing interesting things despite the shininess. I can’t argue with that.

Interest levels rise to “watch this space.”

DelrueOfDetroit says:

There was a shot in a previous trailer that showed you going on a space walk outside of the station. An open world game where outside in space is part of that open world definitely has me intrigued.

5. Deviija says:

I really like the protagonist choice option. And I really love the look of Lady Morgan. After her trailer and knowing some of the details, I’m now definitely interested in playing this one.

6. kalirion says:

This isn’t Prey, it’s Aliens. What’s the point of using the Prey name?

• ahac says:

It makes the game easier to sell…

• gunny1993 says:

Prey is dead, long live prey

• Josh W says:

I’m assuming this satisfied some internal Bethesda stuff; they had a spreadsheet entry named prey that wasn’t making any money, so they decided getting Arkane to put a new game under that name would be the best way to make it look better.

I’m just glad they’re giving Arkane money really.

7. kud13 says:

I wish some ex-Human Head devs would Kickstart a space-bounty-hunter first-player game.

8. Sound says:

The dialogue in that ad is agitatingly badly written.

• Josh W says:

It is bad, strangely, doesn’t sound as bad in the version with the other version, I think mainly because he slightly undercuts himself when he seems to be getting too grandiose, it’s a slightly more layered performance that makes the lines seem more plausible.

Comment on this story