SWTOR Trailer Is A Splendid Six Minute Star Wars Short

It may have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the average MMO, but this new trailer for the upcoming Star Wars: The Old Republic [official site] expansion – Knights of the Eternal Throne – is well worth a watch. It’s essentially a six minute mini-movie, beautiful CGI telling the story of a young girl’s discovery of the Force. And perhaps not in a way that you might expect.

So yes, if you’re excited about the forthcoming expansion, this should whet your appetite. If you’re aware that SWTOR the game has as much in common with its CGI trailers as it does a green balloon, then it’s still absolutely worth seeing. A really lovely piece of storytelling with minimal dialogue, and maximal laserswords.

The expansion, free to subscribers, will be out on 2nd December.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Darth Gangrel says:

I’ve very much enjoyed the trailers for SWTOR, but my backlog and deep rooted aversion of MMO’s have kept me from it. I’m sort of glad that it’s still going (proves that Star Wars and RPG’s isn’t a bad combo) and that I can join in without paying, but what “we” really want is a singleplayer RPG, be it a KotOR-(ish) game or something else. Battlefront proved that Battlefield in space works marvelously, so now it’s time for something else. I’ll probably just keep watching SWTOR trailers and wait for Visceral’s Star Wars game.

2. Chaotic Entropy says:

I remain entirely pissed that they made an amazing single player experience in to a crappy, run of the mill MMO. Well done on making a shiny new short movie that bears no relation to your awful, derivative, waste of a game.

• aepervius says:

I can’t agree more. So much wasted potential. But unfortunately the investor money was for a MMO, not for for a single player RPG. I tried to like SWTOR…. But it really is the MMO treadmill as usual.

• Turkey says:

It feels like really bad timing that EA got the Disney license after SWTOR. We’ll probably have to wait forever before they shut off life support to this bloated mess and do something else RPG-wise with the license.

• whodafug says:

It’s this sort of judgmental nonsense that really irks me.

Firstly, they’re already working on a single-player ARPG set in the Star Wars universe under the license awarded to EA.

Secondly, there are hundreds of thousands of people out there playing SWTOR consistently, and hundreds of thousands more that return for each expansion; why is it that your demand for a single-player RPG should trump our desire for an MMORPG?

The truth is that the two types of game are not mutually exclusive ( which is why, as I pointed out, they’re working on both ), and your blind hatred is based on nothing more than selfish shortsightedness.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Aye, even as someone who’d dearly love a new KOTOR or similar single-player rpg, I have to agree wholeheartedly with you. Moreover, speaking from experience, SWTOR isn’t actually all that bad as a single-player-ish experience anyway. It’s no KOTOR3 but it’s still a lot of fun for what it is, and I’ve only ever played alone or (more frequently) together with just my brother. There’s some decent rpg-ing to be had in there.

EDIT: Also that trailer really is great.

• Jerykk says:

The problem is that TOR’s predecessors were single-player RPGs. Turning KOTOR3 into an MMO was incredibly disappointing to fans of the series who dislike MMOs, especially since Bioware isn’t going to be making a proper single-player KOTOR3. The upcoming action game by Visceral is not a substitute.

3. Rich says:

I watched this over the weekend, thinking it was the trailer for a new KotOR game. Really disappointed when I realised it was just for an expansion to a bloody MMO RPG.

4. Rao Dao Zao says:

If they repackaged SWTOR as an offline singleplayer RPG I’d buy it like a shot. But as an MMO… sozbuckets, no thanx.

• Rizlar says:

Luckily it’s free.

• aepervius says:

Free in money usually means it is *very* costly to you with your time.

• USER47 says:

Since the 4.0 rebalance, not really. For a pure f2p player there are some annoyances like credit limit which doesn’t allow you to buy fashionable cosmetics from the marketplace for millions of bucks, but all the grind was pretty much extinguished regardless the f2p/pref/sub status. You can get through the story of base game comfortably during few evenings now.

• Anti-Skub says:

SWTOR shouldn’t be marketed as F2P. It’s a free demo of a subscription game. But it has no box price, you get your first 7 days of sub free by just asking in general chat for someone to recruit-a-friend you, and it’s a tenner a month.

If you want to play it as a single player RPG, it’s really not bad at all. You’ll finish it in a month no problem and £10 gives you full access to the whole game for that time. So you can play it for a week for nothing and finish it for a tenner…not exactly bank breaking.

• Anti-Skub says:

The new content is a singleplayer RPG and a direct sequel to Kotor involving Revan, the Emperor, the Exile and the Rakata.

5. deiseach says:

Whatever about the merits of SWTOR – kudos to whodafug for reminding me that there are people like it and don’t need to be made feel like they’ve shat in every KOTOR player’s hat – that was worth watching in itself. The part at 1:46 where you glimpse the man underneath the armour gave me a jolt.

Syt says:

I have yet to finish the last expansion which I stopped a few chapters in. While I appreciate that Bioware wanted to focus more on a single player experience again, the story itself seemed so generic and bland to me that it might as well have been set in a dozen different fantasy universes and didn’t hold my interest.

7. syndrome says:

It’s a really well done movie with so litle words. Whoever did this will get on my radar from now on. The profoundness and minimalism speak of one person with a vision behind it, much like how Genndy did it with the Samurai Jack (and later SW:CW).

Philopoemen says:

Pity Vaylin is such a bitch though

9. Deviija says:

I love the cinematic trailers for TOR. Blur always does an incredible job. It makes me want cinematic movies like this. Especially of this trailer. I’d love to watch that movie!

It’s fairly disappointing that SWTOR has the makings to be a really solid single-player and even co-op RPG game, with sequels and expansions to keep the franchise going, but it’s bogged down in the outdated MMO skin, imo.

10. invitro says:

neat trailer, the girl is really cute but also pretty creepy looking

11. mercyRPG says:

At least this trailer is fantastic.

12. C0llic says:

This little short is great. It feels like a very believable tale of how the Sith really recruits. Now why haven’t the later films ever done anything this smart?

• invitro says:

They don’t have do; they can be a blatant, lazy retread of a previous movie and still make a billion dollars.

• Anti-Skub says:

They aren’t Sith.

• Synesthesia says:

What were they? I’m not that into star wars, but i’d like to know what was going on.

• USER47 says:

They are kind of a third faction, living on the edge of the galaxy, separated from both the Sith empire and the Republic. Zakuul has some priests with prophetic powers, force sensitive knights acting as elite part of armed forces and such, but they don’t really operate with dark side/light side distinctions.

This whole faction was introduced in Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion for SW:TOR, so it’s kind of a new thing and lots of details about the faction are shrouded in mystery. Like the origin of the massive robotic fleet that is supposedly older than the Zakuul empire itself etc.

• brucethemoose says:

The KOTOR series (even SWTOR) has always subverted the binary dark side/light side nature of the Star Wars universe.

13. trollomat says:

That’s pretty great. Also, as a woodworker, I am forever envious.

phuzz says:

Halfway through it starts looking like the origin story for Jack from Mass Effect.
    That’s intended as a complement.

Cvnk says:

Man, that is some nice animation. Maybe my opinion is being biased by knowing it’s a game trailer but are there many 100% CGI videos that look this good? Probably I suppose but I feel like I could watch a full movie of that (as long as the writing is good of course).

• invitro says:

I hope you keep good writing as a requirement for actual movies. Because it rules out almost all actual movies, newish ones anyway.

• tnzk says:

There are a lot of movies with very good writing. They’re just not in the superhero/star wars blockbuster genre.

• Anti-Skub says:

I would go so far as to say we are living in a golden age of film making. If you’re watching shit movies, that’s entirely your fault.

Comment on this story