Thumper Releasing Tonight, Three Days Early

Well here’s a nice thing for a Monday – rhythm-rollercoaster-combat-thingummy* Thumper [official site] is being released a few days earlier than billed. Tonight, in fact! 3pm PST, which works out at 11pm in the UK and… 6pm on the East Coast.

I’ve had a preview copy on hand for the past few days and precious little time to get far into it, but it’s this wonderful synthesis of operatic metal videos, forward momentum and rhythmic button pressing that makes me feel like a maestro when I get it right, and compels me to spend the next hour dismantling the section into a series of do-able button presses and pounding beats if I don’t.

There’s also a rather charming chrome beetle who represents you as the player, and I really like how some of the actions you can perform make it do a beetly kind of lunge.

I believe Alec is working on a Wot I Think for our vaguely official stance, but in the interim, those are my preliminary thoughts. Oh. Also, I’ve noticed that my whole body tenses when there’s an action beat so I’m wondering whether this game is actively improving my core strength stats just through regular clenching!

So yeah: 3pm PST/6pm Eastern/11pm UK and it’ll set you back $19.99.

*I’m thinking of referring to it as a beat-em-up for the pun but I’m not sure if most people would just think I’d referred to the wrong game…

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Blowfeld81 says:

Will buy this once I have figured out, which VR headset I will buy into once all the issues of the first revisions are sorted out…

• Skid says:

This isn’t a VR game, yes they have released PSVR support and they plan to add support for the Rift and Vive before the end of the year, but the game is not designed explicitly for VR.

Personally speaking, I’m getting this game tonight so I can experience the taglined Rhythm Violence. When they add VR support on Steam I’ll give it another go and see just how much it add.

2. G-Lord says:

Will wait that out until they include Oculus support. Nice surprise still.

3. Shazbut says:

These trailers are extraordinary. Here’s hoping the game is. Will find out soon enough!

4. cheekibreeki says:

I’ve only played one hour (and I haven’t seen passed level 2) but my first impression is quite positive. Despite (or because of?) the simple game mechanic I felt myself quite sucked after a while. (Darkening the room and quality headphones contribute to the atmosphere as well, of course.)

5. Catterbatter says:

Beetle-em-up, clearly.

6. lglethal says:

*clap* *clap* *clap*
    Give that man a prize for the Best Pun on RPS this week.
    Terrific work.