Christine Love’s Ladykiller In A Bind Released

Christine Love, creator of Digital: A Love Story and Analogue: A Hate Story, has released her latest visual novel. Ladykiller in a Bind [official site] is just a touch sexier than those, as will become perfectly clear when I tell you the game’s extended name: My Twin Brother Made Me Crossdress As Him And Now I Have To Deal With A Geeky Stalker And A Domme Beauty Who Want Me In A Bind!!

We’ve all been there.

Because reasons, a lesbian ends up pretending to be her nodhead twin brother on a week-long post-graduation cruise with his classmates. You’re trying to stop everyone from finding out the truth, tied up in a web of manipulation, deceit, and sexy tension. It’s a dating sim-y erotic comedy, only here the manipulation underpinning the genre is laid bare. As are you and/or your lovers through BDSM and miscellaneous sexy sexing.

You can see a bit of all that in the launch trailer:

Or check out a nudie gameplay trailer.

John dug Ladykiller when he played an early version last year, and you yourself can still play a year-old five-minute teaser. I dug that teaser – sexy and funny.

Ladykiller in a Bind is out for Windows, Mac, and Linux, costing $30 through the Humble Store. As for it hitting Steam, well, that’s up to them but Humblefolk will get a key if it ever does.

Look, don’t come crying to me all “I saw the words ‘My Twin Brother Made Me Crossdress As Him And Now I Have To Deal With A Geeky Stalker And A Domme Beauty Who Want Me In A Bind!!’ yet didn’t think this post would contain anything remotely sexual so I opened it on the office projector and now I’m both aroused and in a lot of trouble, which is itself sorta doing it for me, and I think it’d be better if I just went home ‘sick’ for the afternoon why RPS whyyy.”

[Disclosure: Christine & co brought her Interstellar Selfie Station booth to a Wild Rumpus I helped run. It was great!]

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. AngoraFish says:

Happens to me all the time.

2. Halk says:

Won’t be checking it out as I’m still super annoyed by her putting a deliberately unachievable achievement in her last game… I know it’s nitpicky, but the market is full of good games so I can easily afford skipping some.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Wouldn’t that still be technically achievable by cheating? I assume you just need to make an API call.

• Kefren says:

As someone who doesn’t use external achievements (overlay disabled in Steam etc) I find it funny that a creator might add achievements that can’t be completed, so that makes me more interested in this game. (I enjoyed Digital ALS).

• Ashabel says:

Level Four Revive Materia was hilarious; easily the best achievement to have ever been designed in years. The sheer pandemonium around it reminded me of the simpler, more primal times when people would bring their PlayStation to a bald mountain on Samhain and sacrifice their firstborn to the ancient spirits in an elaborate ritual, hoping that it would finally bring Aeris back.

The reveal that it was never coded into the game actually made it even better.

• kwyjibo says:

I stopped playing Pokemon after they put in that truck that didn’t have Mew in. It was anti-consumer.

3. Zankman says:

Nice that we get a reminder that female authors can be just as bad within this medium; tasteless subject matter and silly pandering is universal.

Just reading that description – it comes off as so “edgy” and *of course* it involves cross-dressing and BDSM.

Wonder when we will get a game/VN centered around sex and sexuality that isn’t a) pandering and/or b) trying very hard to be “risque” and different.

• NetharSpinos says:

Have you considered not judging a book by its cover?

• Gormongous says:

Wait, you’ve concluded that the game is tasteless and pandering from reading the description?

I thought that Love had worked for years on this game and that its subject matter was very close to her heart, but this bloke finds the description too tacky, so we’d better scrap it all.

Risingson says:

To be honest, I admire Love and all but her games after Digital have rubbed me hard the wrong way. I always think “ok, there must be an intelligent subtext here about the sexualization of characters or tokenization of relationships” but I cannot find it. It is what turns me away from most anime perfectly imitated in her visual novels. Unless I am missing something ofc.

• Gormongous says:

I get that with Don’t Take It Personally, but I think Analogue and Hate Plus have a strong interplay between the ease of falling for a character in a video game and the metatextual creepiness of that exact set of circumstances. If there’s a flaw, it’s the willingness of Love to joke about the frisson between the two states, like with the not-so-secret “harem” ending, but it doesn’t sink the games for me.

On the other hand, especially in Analogue, Love is very good at capturing the emotional damage wrought by highly disparate levels and expressions of power in relationships, and that’s valuable on its own.

• Eight Rooks says:

I’m not a huge fan of Love’s work*, but – IIRC she’s talked several times about how Ladykiller is explicitly intended to satirise and/or attack the pandering, unrealistic view of human relationships and sexuality which she sees as seemingly intrinsic to visual novels. If you’re going to mock her, you could just go straight for WTF ANIME LOLZ WEEABOOS if you can’t be bothered with anything smarter than that.

*I admit I’ve not finished anything of hers other than Digital, but that was pretty poor, IMO, and nothing else she’s done (or any article I’ve read about her and her work) has interested me enough to actually play it.

• Geebs says:

That’s an interesting thought, actually – is it even possible to usefully satirise anything that somebody, somewhere gets off to? One way or another, the end result is pretty much bound to be indistinguishable from a Robin Askwith movie.

• fiasco says:

Ooh, ooh. Tell me: is it being “shoved down our throats” as well?

• invitro says:

4. Snids says:

Sex and relationships and such are great topics for games and are stupidly under-represented.

That said, this looks deeply unappealing.
    The writing, the art style. It’s like something your friend’s creepy, shut-in younger brother has produced and is promoting on some forgotten part of the internet.

X_kot says:

Love hasn’t led me astray yet – looking forward to playing this over the weekend.

6. maninahat says:

Great! I love Christine Love’s games, and have been waiting an age for this one to come out.

7. invitro says:

Yes, women who dress as dudes are SOOOOO sexy. Sexy sexy! That’s why men go just crazazy for butch lesbians!

Comment on this story