Underrail: Expedition Expanding Post-Apocalyptic RPG

Post-apocalyptic isometric RPG Underrail [official site] will leave its sprawling metroworld to visit an underground sea in its first expansion next year, developers Stygian Software announced today. Underrail: Expedition is off to the Black Sea, a huge subterranean sea filled with pirates, strange wildlife, ancient ruins, and all the usual expansion merriment. I’ve heard good things about Underrail so heck, I’m glad for the reminder to check it out.

“There, among the old and mysterious ruins of an age long past, you’ll face the vicious fauna, hostile natives, cunning pirates, and something far more sinister than all of those,” Stygian said in the announcement. “Your voyage through vastness of the Black Sea will shed new light on the history of the world of Underrail and the forces that shaped it.”

The expansion’s story is joined onto the main game, rather than standalone, becoming available in the mid-game. It’ll bring a new story, new quests, new factions, new enemies, new weapons, new items, new… new things. Expansion stuff. It’ll also boost the level cap.

I know I told you in December that we’d have a Wot I Think of Underrail once we got back from our winter hols but, er, I don’t know. Overly-boozed puddings and bottles of Baileys given by aunts were probably to blame. But in the interim, I’ve heard a lot of folks praise Underrail. Maybe you’re one of them, and you can tell us all what we’ve missed?

Expedition is due in the first half of 2017. For now, Underrail is £9.99/14,19€/$14.99 on Steam and a bit more on GOG.

From this site

1. Halford9000 says:

Oh my. You’ve missed a quite good indie rpg with turn based non party combat. Story is decent, nothing more. But the gameplay is excellent. Almost all quests can be solved with different paths. Think Fallout plus psy elements. Combat is deep. Character building is deep. A replayable hidden gem for crpg fans. But if indie production values scare you, stay away.

• Author X says:

Well, you’ve just about sold me… if I weren’t just catching up on the whole Shadowrun revival series. But I’ll keep Undertale Underrail on my list. Maybe I’ll be ready by the time the update lands.

• SmackBlob says:

All Halford9000 says is true. I am truly enjoying my playthrough at the moment. I’m wasting the awesome potential of my graphics card on this game, but…I don’t care! It’s fun!

2. RedViv says:

It’s the baby Fallout and SysShock should have had in 2002 and it is glorious for it.

caff says:

I have always wondered why RPS never did a WIT on Underrail. It’s the sort of game that might appeal to a lot of readers.

john_silence says:

Yeah, it seems like perfect RPS material, doesn’t it? Maybe a tad too niche? It’s great and could even have entered last year’s top 50.
      In spite of much coverage Age of Decadence never got a proper WIT either. Nor did Serpent in the Staglands. I guess all of those would require a looong time to review… but but but – even so they deserve more coverage! Especially Underrail. Underrail – underrated. That’s the mantra.

Edit because edit: Underrail – underrated. That’s the mantra.

• klops says:

Yeah. That and Age of Decadence (which did get some coverage but no real WOT). And above everything else: Chaos Reborn.

4. Freud says:

The screenshots give me Little Big Adventure (a.k.a Relentless: Twinsen’s Adventure) vibes and just thinking of LBA made me very happy.

5. Seboss says:

I loved Underrail until I hit the last area of the game. It’s so insufferable I eventually gave up with the game after investing close to 40hrs in it.

Nauallis says:

Yikes. Would you elaborate about what was so terrible about it? Underrail has been on my wishlist for quite awhile and I keep hoping I’ll be willing to make time to play it… Anyway, curious about why you say that.

• Seboss says:

Well, I don’t want to reveal too much but let’s see. At some point you reach a point of no return and get locked in an area where the game rules suddenly change: enemies respawn a lot more and become much more dangerous and attrition is much more important while resources are finite (we’re locked in the zone remember). This wouldn’t be too much of a problem if the game did a better job at conveying what the player is expected to do, and if there wasn’t so much backtracking.

I guess it’s not *that* bad since many players did multiple playthroughs. Unfortunately I encountered a game breaking bug (fixed since then but not retroactively) that forced me to restore an old save located before the point of no return, and that was the last straw for me.

And that’s a really shame because I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the game. I don’t regret the 40-ish hours I spent with it.

Nauallis says:

Thanks for replying!

• haldolium says:

Same here sadly. I didn’t have the greatest character build for that area so the difficulty caused a lot of try&error. At some point I got most of the quest stuff I needed, but a few parts still missing and that was the point when I quit, temporarily at least.

Never the less is Underrail an outstanding game. You have to be prepared for that last part, really read a bit about it (there are some pretty good, mostly spoiler-free guides available) upfront, but the “rest” of the game is just awesome.

I spent 100 hours in Underrail without ever finishing it, and I would still highly recommend it. It’s lovely and has so many options that are unavailable in other games today.

It’s still installed, maybe I am just going to finish it now.

6. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

I really need to go back to this one. I liked it a lot, but the lack of a map was giving me massive problems. I promised myself to print the one put together by the community as soon as I got back to work after Christmas but then…I…didn’t.

But I will! One day. I’ll use a physical map to orient myself and party like it’s 1994!

7. mercyRPG says:

I loved the Diablo-1-esque feeling with the underworld element, the crafting and that you could steal lots of stuff from people. Turn based battles are good. Game story itself isn’t too interesting. I planned to go back and finish the game, just waited for the big big announcement, which finally came. :)

8. Laini says:

I really wanted to like Underrail but I just couldn’t get into it at all. I played it numerous times through Early Access and always hit a brick wall.
    The difficulty just seemed completely ridiculous. I don’t know if it’s the kind of thing where you need to build a character just right but even on Easy I’d end up getting swarmed by enemies and killed.

On more than one occasion I had to glitch out the AI by opening and closing a gate so they’d remain running back and forth unable to reach me as I picked them off from a distance.

• Seboss says:

I had restart the game a couple times before getting the hang of character development. It’s definitely not a Bethesda game where you can be a jack-of-all-trade and don’t think too hard about leveling. You definitely have to create a coherent build and specialize. Since it’s mostly a solo only game (except for a handful missions), you can’t count on your companions to make up for your weaknesses, so you have to pick your battles and have a plan B always ready.

In the end I chose to drop the entire technology skill group entirely (and as such, crafting which proved to be a problem in the last part of the game), focus one a single weapon type (guns, being the most convenient and versatile) and on Psychokinesis (by the second half of the game, enemies basically fought my own battles).
      Psi is a must have because it basically gives you infinite ammo. Psi energer auto-regenerates pretty fast with good Intelligence and the right perks, and psi-boosters are abundant anyway. As psi mostly don’t work on robots, make sure to stock up on EMP grenades and armor-piercing ammo though.

The game is hard and unforgiving, but that’s what made it so satisfying. Up to the last stretch of the game anyway.

• dungeoncrawl says:

I didn’t realize I had a terrible build until about 20 hours in. I got to a spot (I forget exactly where) that, no matter how many times I tried and how many approaches, I was just too under powered to survive. And I mean by a longshot. After 20 hours in, and getting to so far, I couldn’t bring myself to start over. I still don’t really know what was wrong with my build. I just know that there were so many enemies still standing (crazy, infected dogs I think) that even on my best run there were multiple enemies remaining. No way to get better equipment, no alternative area to go conquer and level up, etc. I was even googling and watching walkthroughs. I don’t know if I spread out my abilities too much and couln’t hit anything, or if I missed finding some weapon or what. I was sad to stop playing it and a little angry that the game would let me make such leveling mistakes (if that’s what it was). I’m not new to turn based RPG’s (my fav genre). I loved it up until then though.

• HexagonalBolts says:

Yeah I’m pretty sure it was the mutated dogs that got me as well. I wish they would put in a ‘very easy’ mode for us mortals.

• _G_ says:

I have quite enjoyed Underrail (188 hours according to Steam) and after a poor start finally got my first character to a point where I survived more battles first go than I die in (most of the time), however I know my character is definitely not an ideal build, as for some battles (e.g.: mid to late game Lunatics in the shopping centre) I have found I needed to stealth in and lay a lot of mines/traps first in order to survive the ensuing battle. The one thing Underrail really needs to be a great game, is to add the ability to re-spec. your characters skills, (even if it costs a bunch of credits in-game, or something else, say a special quest completion) as I wasted so many points before I realised I needed to concentrate on specific skills.

9. Caiman says:

I really enjoyed Underrail, and only stopped playing it because I had to go away for work, then found it hard to get back into (I stopped in the middle of a very difficult fight!). But up to that point it really felt like, had it been released back around the time of Fallout 1 / 2, it would have been fondly remembered as a classic. It’s quite difficult, especially early in the game, and in fact I ended up playing it on “Easy” which felt more like “Normal”. I also liked the choice of gaining XP the traditional way or through exploration (I chose the latter). I will definitely replay this at some point with the new DLC.

Pity RPS never WIT’d it. I’m far more interested in these high quality indie games.

10. HexagonalBolts says:

I absolutely loved this, if you love Fallout 2 then you will undoubtedly feel the same. I did get completely stuck in one area (a scrapyard, I think?) where it seemed impossible to advance – any of the possible routes to gain XP would inevitably end up in my death. Would highly recommend playing on easy.

11. TΛPETRVE says:

Underrail was my GOTY 2015, next to Bloodborne. This game is essentially a turn-based, post-apocalyptic Dark Souls. You explore the world, without a map or much in terms of guidance, and engage in whatever seems logical to you. There’s not much of a plot, either; in fact, it’s technically really just a prologue to a much bigger, far more outlandish thing Stygian are probably still busy cooking up. Writing is terse and without much flourish, which in my opinion beats the pretentious logorrhoea that most prolific RPGs nowadays dump all over the player in a sad attempt at looking “deep” and “mature”.

• inspiredhandle says:

Man. Bummer. It’s been sitting in my wish list for a while now. Here’s hoping we just have different tastes. Being a huge fallout 2 fanboy will probably blinker me to any shortcomings though, won’t it? WON’T IT?!

12. Wowbagger says:

I bought this in early access tried it out for 30 minutes and decided to wait for the full release…then forgot about it entirely! So thanks for reminding me about it, I guess i’ll go play it now then.

Comment on this story