Hitman Season Finale Visits Japan On October 31st

Ian Hitman is packing his cases. He’s checking the list – black suit x2; white shirt x4; y-fronts x8 (you never know, in his line of work); fibre wire – 5 metres etc. – and fretting over whether he should’ve splashed out on his rifle’s lightweight stock option to open up weight allowance for souvenirs. He’s off to Hokkaido, Japan for the final episode of the Hitman [official site] season, see. The episode will launch on October 31st, publishers Square Enix just announced. I suppose Halloween is a good time to unleash Ian, a boogeyman to the rich, famous, and arms-dealing.

Or, if you’ve been protesting this episodic release, hey, that’s when the ‘full’ game is out.

Here’s the official marketing blurb on Hokkaido:

“The Season Finale for Hitman Season One features a mission called ‘Situs Inversus’ and is the culmination of everything players will have learnt in terms of both gameplay and story.

“The Hokkaido location is set within the grounds of the hyper-exclusive GAMA private hospital and resort. This secluded facility is a fusion of Japanese beauty and cutting-edge technology, featuring its own Zen gardens, organic sushi restaurant and traditional Japanese hot spring. Agent 47 must locate two targets in this climactic Season Finale.”

It sure sounds like they’re planning a second season, or at least some sort of follow-up, doesn’t it?

You’d hope that developers IO Interactive have a few Halloween tricks up their sleeve too. Try to assassinate a Dracula! Bump off a crotchety neighbour without scarring the teeming hordes of trick-or-treaters! Bust a ghost! Stop a Frankenstein’s Dad before he animates a hard-as-nails Frankenstein – who you’ll also need to kill! Ah, I can dream.

As ever, folks who’ve bought the £40 Hitman Season Pass have already paid for Hokkaido. If you’re going episode-by-episode, for some curious reason, the usual price is £7 apiece. Here, have a cheeky peek at the resort in this wee teaser trailer:

From this site

1. yogibbear says:

As long as there is a weird cosplay outfit I can kill people in I’m keen.

2. gwop_the_derailer says:

The alt-text is S-Rank Alice.

3. Legion1183 says:

Partly yes, and partly because I have a large enough backlog that I can wait even longer until it’s finally discounted to a normal PC price. I hate paying console prices for PC games.

4. Banks says:

So excited for this! The setting is so cool!

5. slerbal says:

Squeenix must be delighted about how much more coverage the game got as episodic – each episode has been picked up by every PC gaming site I’ve checked. I reckon we can expect to see many more ‘AAA’ games do the same.

BTW this isn’t a moan, just an observation :)

• sg1969 says:

good point. And the biggest game making use of this will be the FF7 remake I guess, though I doubt this will need much advertising/marketing in order to sell…

• slerbal says:

Given the reverence it is held in, FF7 will either be a huge smash or a terrible disaster (if handled poorly). Either way, should be interesting!

caff says:

Yeah I’m not keen on that idea, but they’ve handled the episode releases well with only a couple of months between each, which is impressive work from the IO team. The game has genuinely turned out great too, very much delivering what the players wanted.

6. Mi-24 says:

finally looks like the WA-2000 is returning! Doubt they have implemented the suitcase mechanic though.

7. Troubletcat says:

So how many levels does this have now? Less than Blood Money’s 11 (13 if you include tutorial/epilogue), I’m aware. And are they that much more interesting to replay to make up the difference? I must’ve played every mission in Blood Money fifty times.

I’m a big fan of the series but Absolution was bad. After that fiasco they had that big blog post about going back to the series’ roots and what people loved about it and then lol episodic with weird online features… Not really what I had in mind. Seriously on the fence about buying this one. It’s getting such positive press but I can’t shake the gut feeling that it’s secretly both a rip-off and terrible, and I will be mad if I buy it. Want an appreciable evolution on Blood Money with new mechanics that add even more challenge and variety to the game, would settle for Blood Money with new levels and updated graphics.

Is this either of those?

Would also be happy with a somewhat more punishing game like Codename 47 but I think we all know what the odds of a AAA developer making a game like that in the current environment are…

• Samuell says:

The levels are bigger than Blood Money and a lot more replayable. You have to play a level many times before you really know the map. Blood Money is one of my favorite games and this game really lives up to it.

Its not really that hard, but there are so many different things that you can set your own goals. For example its pretty easy to beat a level, but getting the Silent Assassin challenge or the Suit Only Silent Assassin challenge is hard.

There are 6 big levels that are way bigger than the average Blood Money level, and then there are 3 bonus level and a prologue with two small training levels. The bonus levels are pretty much as big as Blood Money’s, or maybe a tiny bit smaller.

If Contracts is your favorite Hitman game then you will feel the game isn’t dark enough, and there is too much comedy, but if Blood Money was your favorite I think you’ll really like it. The gameplay is as open as Blood Money, but with more ways to kill and infiltrate the levels.

Its actually great as an episodic game, since the missions are so big that they are great on their own, but the DRM is stupid.

I love HITMAN and I hated hated hated Absolution.

Comment on this story