Robot Buddies And Space Adventures: Titanfall 2’s Campaign

At a recent gaming convention, I had a brief conversation with someone who described Titanfall as a “dead franchise”. That seemed harsh, given that there has only been one Titanfall game, which was fairly well-received even if it didn’t set the world on fire. That said, I barely played the first game at all but that’s mainly because I’m not a big fan of multiplayer shooters. If only it had taken all of its lovely robots into a singleplayer game.

Oh, hi Titanfall 2’s [official site] campaign. You look rather splendid.

Look, we all know this might well turn out to be absolute bobbins. Or that it might be decent for the first couple of hours, repetitive for the next couple and mercifully lurching toward an ending in the couple after that. I’m not going to pretend that’s not a distinct possibility.

There are certainly places in that video that I’d like to run around in, and robots that I’d like to fight. And, yeah, I’m up for having a bot-buddy who makes me reflect on the fact that I’m not sure if he’s essentially a big disposable combat coat that I wear every once in a while or an actual friend with feelings. Maybe I’d think a kevlar vest or a gun wanted to make friends with me if they were even slightly anthropomorphised.

Titanfall 2 is out in a couple of weeks – October 28th – so we’ll know whether I’m a fool for feeling optimistic about the campaign. Keats said it best: if a fellow can’t be even a little excited about the eternal friendship between people and robots in a space war, he’s a very sad fellow.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. hollowroom says:

The lack of single player is the same reason I didn’t play the first one.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Me too, but now, not only does Titanfall 2 have a campaign, people say that it looks promising. And people have also had positive things to say about Battlefield 1’s campaign.

MP-focused games caring about SP content? What is the world coming to?

• Maxheadroom says:

I never really understood the hate it got for not having a single player campaign when almost every CoD and Battlefield review for years has contained some variation of the line “Yeah the single player sucks, but no one buys these for the single player anyway”

Also seems a bit mean that they take the criticism on board, go away and make a sequel with a strong emphasis on a single player campaign, and around the time they announce it Overwatch comes out to rave reviews and no one is talking about single player anymore

Not slating anyone who likes or plays the single player in these things, just my opinion.
      (If anything I was part of the problem the first one disappeared so quickly. Played the beta to death but when it came out I played it maybe twice and never went back to it. Not really sure why)

• hollowroom says:

speaking personally, I never hated it, I just didn’t buy it when I found out it had no single player. I understand why they do it: it must be way cheaper to make a multiplayer only game. Coming up with a story with scripts and set pieces etc can only add to the cost.

• Zenicetus says:

I think a big part of the “why not singleplayer” was because we haven’t had a good singleplayer mech-based game in years. Not since the old MechWarrior series. There used to be a big market for games like this, and some people miss it.

Even though this is a hybrid that isn’t pure mech, I hope this one is good because I don’t play multiplayer shooters and I loved those old mech games.

• AlianAnt says:

See, I’m the guy that buys the CoD games for their single player. CoD, since 4, has been extremely underrated as a story-telling game. At their best, they tell a story on the quality of a classic military action film like a top-end James Bond movie (Black Ops 2). At worst, there’s some cool setpieces and great audio design (Advanced Warfare).

You might also be surprised at how many people are like me, and how few people touch the multiplayer. I think the new Infinite Warfare campaign might be the best CoD campaign yet and I honestly couldn’t give half a shit about multiplayer and haven’t since Modern Warfare 2.

So, I think this is a good move for Titanfall as a franchise. I came to Modern Warfare for the single player and stayed for the multiplayer.

2. shaydeeadi says:

Bit of a shame they are releasing this at a time when it has a very high chance of getting crowded out. Looking good though.

• Morgan Joylighter says:

I just realized it’s rather fascinating that EA is essentially crowding themselves out by releasing Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 together. Seems like a very strange move to release both of their biggest FPS of the year at the same time.

3. Ent says:

…OK being a non-native speaker I have to ask: what was that Keats quote supposed to be?

• AlianAnt says:

It’s just a joke and Keats almost certainly never said that at all. It was a joke about how a person who doesn’t want to be friends with a robot when they’re in a war together is a sad person.

4. Kollega says:

I have to say, this does look unusually promising. The environment variety on display begins to resemble my dream “travel to interesting places, meeet interesting people, and kill them” space-soldier game, and if Titanfall 2 can deliver on that, and on the idea of an evolving friendship between a soldier and a giant tank robot… I may find myself playing it.

5. spaced says:

I got this a few months ago by subscribing to Origin Access (an awesome deal that this site should really do a post/review on), and I had so much fun with the tutorial that I was heartbroken to see its community has dwindled so much. I’ve been playing against bots but it’s just not the same. Now this new one is coming out and I don’t have money to blow on it (just like last time).

6. geldonyetich says:

I think the trouble with these multiplayer-arena-centric games is that most players will simply gravitate to the one they feel is “best” and leave the rest to rot with zero servers hosting zero players. Without any players to play with, the game has no means of building inertia, and “dies.” Hence, the premature assertion Titanfall is a “dead franchise,” because it is easy to imagine it is going to head that way.

From my armchair, I can speculate two possible solutions to this:

1. Don’t make a multiplayer-arena game unless yours is absolutely the best. That genre is done.

2. Make your multiplayer-arena game feature robust enough bot support that players can player the game, building inertia, even if there happens to be not all that many players.

Titanfall 2… not sure where it lies here.

7. devonair says:

I actually loved the first game, and didn’t mind the slim campaign/story mode (okay… slim may even be giving more credit than it deserves). But it eventually got put back on the shelf to collect dust because the multiplayer didn’t include splitscreen play. My girlfriend loves to play shooters with me, but Titanfall didn’t allow us to do that (short of buying another console and another copy of the game). I seen any updates on this, but I’m really hoping they added this feature in — otherwise COD will continue to be our go-to game.

Comment on this story