Endless Legend Expansion Invading Your Shores Today

“A sailor went to sea sea sea,” wrote Samuel Taylor Coleridge. “To see what he could see see see. / But all that he could see see see / was the bottom of the deep blue sea sea sea.” Endless Legend [official site] is hoping to harness some of that terrifying tone in its latest expansion, Tempest, which is adding naval battles, a new watery faction and giant aquatic monsters. It has already washed up on the DLC shores today and if you come with me, you can see a short trailer for it all.

Terrifying. The main draw of the expansion is the new Morgawr faction, which is super good at murdering on the high seas. They are “a twisted and possessed people that seem to be symbiotic creations of sea life and other, unimaginable species”, according to the game. And if you run into them on the waves you’ll have to fight, because now there are naval battles too. There’s also sea fortresses dotted about, guarded by a minor race called the Fomorians, who you will remember from your classes in ancient Irish mythology as one of the 9 billion races to have invaded Ireland (see the Book of Invasions).

There are other bits of flotsam and jetsam in this expansion. Sea monsters like the “hungering maw” can show up and make your life difficult, and the weather at sea can change from calm to cloudy to stormy, making progress across the waves even more hazardous. Altogether there are 50 new quests and 60 new special items to nab.

Endless Legend was one of our best strategy games on PC (number 8, yo) but it was also our best game of 2014 full stop. So I daresay you might get a kick out of all these watery antics. And if you think so, it’s on Steam for £9.99 (but a little bit cheaper today). Enjoy sailing, that is if you aren’t busy wandering around in the early access of Endless Space 2.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Rizlar says:

Also Sláine!

2. Phasma Felis says:

Are those sailing ships with fighter launch decks?

• Mokinokaro says:

Those are the artillery ships if I remember right from beta.

And from the beta, I can safely say this is the best and most significant expansion Legend has had. Naval combat is a huge mix up in strategy.

• Doctor Pandafaust says:

Hmmm guess I’d best give it a go then!

I loved base endless legend, but have been left somewhat lukewarm by the expansions. They weren’t bad or pure cosmetic rip-offs by any means. But the new factions seemed to lack the intense quality of atmosphere i saw in the base factions, and the new mechanics could generally be ignored if you werent playing the faction in particular.

Still, Im happy for a reason to pick it up again for a few games.

3. anHorse says:

This game is the reason that I’m not that interested in the new Civ

I just don’t see how they can make something more enjoyable than EL has been over so many playthroughs

4. Asokn says:

I’m sure that I must be fundamentally missing something about this game because everyone raves about it and it leaves me cold. I’m a big fan of the genre and the theme and I’ve played the game for about 20 hours on and off with a range of DLC. The problem is that I always give up on a game after a few hours because I never have any interaction with the AI or see any evidence of the AI having any diplomatic interaction with itself. I never see wars unless I instigate them, I’m never asked to trade and no empire ever seems to do anything outside of its own borders. I always end up feeling a bit like I’m playing Risk but all of my opponents are lifeless ‘buffer’ players.

Help me to enjoy the game, is there something I should be doing or looking for to make diplomacy more apparent and enjoyabe?

• RuySan says:

I have the same problem when it comes to diplomatic relations in this game. I still like it, but not as much as some people.

• DanMan says:

I’ve always struggled to frame how the game leaves me kind of cold, and your words hit pretty close to home. There’s not much excitement. It’s all a bit dull to play. Not shallow – there’s certainly enough depth to it – just dull. Which is a crime, for how pretty it is.

I guess the AI is taking a bit of a backseat, if you’re not attacking/interacting with them, so that people who don’t want to play aggressively can do that. I dunno.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

I generally enjoy it. It’s not my all-time favourite 4X, but it’s the most modern one I own, and it has a lot of ideas and mechanics that you simply don’t find anywhere else. The aesthetics and worldbuilding alone set it apart from the rest of the crowd.

The thing with AI wars is that you get no notification that they’re occurring, which can give you the impression that they don’t occur at all. That’s not the case, however: play with the Allayi (Shifters expansion race) and you can clear the fog of war away from the map much earlier, which makes the conflicts between AI factions much more obvious. They’re also dependent on map generation settings: if you use a huge map and only a handful of factions, there’s very little incentive or opportunity for wars to be declared.

Long story short, if you force the factions to fight over resources and give them competent AI, and you’ll probably have a better experience overall.

• MisterFurious says:

Stuff happens, you just usually don’t see it but there is stuff going on. I was playing a game once with 7 opponents and one of them got taken out really early on. I don’t know who did it, but it happened. The AI uses the market and buys and sells things. Things get added to the market and things disappear. That’s the opponents buying and selling. I’ve seen one AI faction fighting another before. Now, I’m not saying the AI is GOOD at any of those things, but those things are going on.

Alfy says:

“I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. I’ve seen one AI faction fighting another before.”

• vahnn says:

The ai definitely participated in the activities. Wars between ai factions aren’t announced globally like in some games. Try playing with 8 factions on a medium map designed for 4 factions. That’ll make things interesting.

And the ai definitely offers me treaties. Trades do happen, but those are admittedly quite rare. If you play the Necrophages, I find that the ai will at best offer a ceasefire agreement before you destroy the last of their cities. And they can’t form peace treaties (by default), so the ai will never offer.

• satan says:

Had similar experiences, tried to get into it a couple of times, but nothing was really happening, and I found myself wondering, if not just assuming, that I was somehow playing the game completely wrong.

• Banyan says:

I first tried a few games with the “normal” factions, like Wild Walkers and Vaulters, and bounced off three games in a row. As in I simply couldn’t figure out what the game expected me to do. I then decided ‘to heck with it’ and chose the Cultists, who weirdly have only one city but assimilate neutral villages, and had a total blast. Then I realized that the Necrophages are a 4X zerg swarm and are a blast as well. But it took me a good while to find a way into the game, and only happened after I avoided every faction that reminded me of something in Civ.

5. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Finally picked up EL having missed it at first*, and it’s eaten lots of my time this week even though so far I’ve only played one faction, on the easiest difficulty. But a question for you lovely people: should I grab all the DLC while it’s on sale, or is it not essential (in the way DLC for Civ V/BE kind of is)? Currently inclined to grab the faction packs but ignore the rest.

*And second when it went on sale, and third when it got DLC, and 4th with it was RPS GOTY, and fifth when…

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Each major piece of DLC adds a new mechanic as well as a new faction that is built around that mechanic. None of them are particularly game-changing: Guardians adds some optional additional goals to tech progression (and adds expensive super units that anyone can build), Shadows adds espionage, which you can safely ignore unless you’re playing as the Forgotten, and Shifters makes winter slightly less awful.

If you can only pick up a couple of them, I’d aim for Shifters and Tempest.

6. LuNatic says:

While I found the gameplay of the base game to be interesting and elegant, the utterly passive AI soon made it incredibly boring. Have they fixed the AI yet?

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Well, I have limited experience (two campaigns so far) but even on the easiest “newbie” difficulty the AI has been declaring war on me and besieging cities, and for much of the game was ahead of me on the quest victory conditions (though I partially blame that on the Vaulters having silly requirements). Me playing like a bit of a warmongering dick probably had an impact on how they treated me, but still, they didn’t just sit there and wait for me to win.

• DanMan says:

That’s what I meant above. If you’re interacting with other factions (however that may be), they become more active, too.
        If you’re playing the game more for yourself, like a SimCity type of game, it tries not to bother you too much.

At least that’s how I see it.

• MisterFurious says:

I played a game yesterday were the AI Vaulters completely wiped my whole army out for no reason. I wasn’t even in his territory. It was just a couple of turns after he sent a message saying he hoped we could have peaceful relations, the dick.

7. mtomto says:

I wish these guys would make a game like this with actual history – just like civilization, but with a new twist.

I never really get into the fantasy/scifi TBS games :( I can relate to buildings and units that actually have some kind of root in reality.

When I look at a spearman and a tank, I dont need to look at a wiki or something to tell me that the tank is probably the best. I don’t see a difference between lasers or photonbeams or whatever. Like I dont see a difference between Fireball and Woodball or whatever…

8. Ur-Quan says:

Man I really wanted to like this game. I’ve tried getting into it 4 or five times now, but I never managed to finish even a single game. I really don’t know why, but for some reason this game feels more like work than actual fun for me. It just lacks that one more turn feeling.

9. FireStorm1010 says:

Loved the base game, will prolly grab the expansion soon

10. vahnn says:

Loving the expansion so far. This is the first time I’ve tried a new faction in an expansion (I still haven’t touched the Shifters or Allayi) and I’m really enjoying them. I’ve been using a battle tactic where I beef up my hero unit and send him in to tank and try to get him surrounded by enemies. Meanwhile I get some Orc archers to do a little damage to every unit surrounding my hero. It all comes together with the starter unit of the Morgawr, a ranged support unit. I have one, and he applies a buff to friendly units that makes them explode when they die, doing damage equal to a percentage of that unit’s HP. By the time the hero dies, most enemies are weakened enough that the explosion kills them all. And since all heroes have the Last Stand trait, the hero is revived after combat ends. It doesn’t always work, but I’ve only been playing about 120 turns and it’s really fun.

I usually don’t bother with the Legendary Deeds or Guardians of the first DLC, and have still yet to even bother with pillaging or any of the espionage/stealth stuff from Shadows. The added winter stuff is nice from Shifters, but doesn’t do much to shake up the core gameplay. The way this DLC opens up all the oceans for additional exploration and things to check out and exploit, and the added strategies surrounding naval warfare and city bombardment just really open the game up in a way that no expansion has before it.

The only thing missing is better AI and more involved diplomacy. While the AI has been improved substantially over the years and does its job, it’s still got a way to go. Diplomacy really isn’t SO bad, but it still just amounts to building up a currency to buy things/behaviors/conditions from your opponents. I guess that’s sort of how it’s done in most games and I can’t think of a better way to do it.

Comment on this story