Friday The 13th Delayed, But Getting Singleplayer

Good horror news/bad(?) horror news. Let’s go good first: upcoming multiplayer slasherfest Friday the 13th: The Game [official site] will be getting a singleplayer side after launch and AI bots too, developers IllFonic and publishers Gun Media have announced. Bad(?) news: it’s delayed from its planned autumn launch into 2017.

That sounds good considering that its rival-to-be Dead by Daylight is also getting its own licensed movie killer, Michael Meyers, but can be janky and lacks singleplayer. It’d be nice for Friday the 13th to arrive proper polished.

Friday the 13th, to recap, is a 1v7 multiplayer game casting one player as Jason Vorhees and the rest as potential victims. Hapless teens will try to avoid getting supermurdered and, hopefully, escape. Maybe they’ll fix the phones and call the rozzers, maybe they’ll repair a boat to cross Crystal Lake, maybe they’ll even try to fight Jace. It sounds a fair bit like and more freeform than Dead by Daylight, where teens are always trying to restart generators to open gates. Meanwhile, the Jason player is trying wants to murder the teens, using his mild supernatural powers like tracking people and magically warping around to pop up in just the right place.

Here’s the new plan: a multiplayer-only version of Friday the 13th will launch in spring 2017, then singleplayer will follow in summer 2017. “Singleplayer includes both offline bots and several missions ripped straight from the films,” is the official word.

The announcement also mentions boshing a third map into multiplayer, Packanack Lodge (from Friday the 13th Part 2), along with serial survivor Tommy Jarvis as a playable character.

2017’s Fridays the 13th are in January and October, so expect a wholly inappropriate release date when the multiplayer launches in spring.

Here, this old, pre-alpha ‘gameplay’ (which looks to include a lot of players roleplaying, to my eyes) from June shows a bit of how the game will do hide ‘n’ facesmash:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Neurotic says:

Being an old, recalcitrant fart who really only MPs in MMOGs, it still blows my mind when games ‘get singleplayer’ like it’s some kind of bonus, or afterthought. :D

• poliovaccine says:

Ditto, except that I don’t even MMO and for a recalcitrant fart I’m relatively young. But I was actually prepared to try out either of these games in their MP only formats, just cus, if there is one form of MP which does catch my interest, it’s asymmetrical teams. Besides, after going from DOOM up thru GTAV, I think to really feel like you’re playing as a serial killer in particular, instead of, yknow, “any videogame protagonist,” you kinda have to have a sense of humanity to the people you kill… and what better way than to have them be played by real people? Not to be ghoulish… (tho if you ascribe any level of “life” to the many virtual kills you make over a gaming career, I shouldn’t worry about that).

And counterwise, it is going to feel a lot more satisfying outwitting and evading a human opponent than any AI. Generally the only way I get interested in an MP game, or MP side of a game, is if the human element brings special interest and merit (like, say, in what happened with DayZ). Hence the special interest in asymmetrical teams.

But that being said, it will be far more comfortable for me, and will permit more of my usual sort of fun, having a proper singleplayer aspect. You just can’t mess with real people and exploit holes in their thinking in quite the same way as AIs, being cruel to them and finding their reactions amusing/endearing in equal measure… well, I guess you could, you just really shouldn’t.

2. MadTinkerer says:

But of course. After all: preventing anyone from playing the game other than when the game is connected to the official servers is more important than basic functionality. Multiplayer is just the best excuse for that.

But at least it’s happening to a game I don’t care about.

3. Nick says:

The death montage video for this game just had me grinning nonstop as a huge 80s horror movie fan. Hope the singleplayer works out because asymetric MP games are always shit and unfun. Unless you get eactly the right mix of people playing The Hidden, but that basically never happens. I wish people would stop wasting time and good ideas on attempting to make a bad idea from the very basic level (not bad on paper but bad when you factor in how people play multiplayer games), work.

4. King_Rocket says:

Could we have ads that run on both sides of the text? I dislike the fact that the BG image is forcing the story to the hard left of my screen, I prefer my articles in the centre.

5. Kingseeker Camargo says:

When websites announce release dates by using the seasons instead of months, it pisses me off more than it probably should.

Comment on this story