Skyblivion Bringing Oblivion’s Soul Into Skyrim’s Body

There’s an unbelievable amount of mods available for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim from the obscene and naughty to the absolutely ridiculous and nonsensical. Dedicated fans of the game have even released entirely new lands and stories to rival Skyrim’s original in breadth and scope. TESRenewal is attempting to do a sort of inception within the framework of Skyrim’s Creation Kit and answer the question, “what do you get when you mod an Elder Scrolls game into another Elder Scrolls game’s engine?” The answer they’re working on is Skyblivion [official site]. Check out their progress in this new video:

Skyblivion seeks to take the entireity of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and port it into Skyrim as a mod. That means TESRenewal is bringing all the quests, every NPC, and every location over, and my mind wants to explode at the thought of how tedious it must be to work with such a huge amount of data. The Skyblivion team has continued making process towards their goal and recently released this video showing progress.

As of now armor, weapons, and shields are in the game, NPC’s have been manually created, and new textures and models have been crafted to replace some of Oblivion’s original assets. The Skyblivion team isn’t quite ready for release, they’ve only just hit version 0.2, but if you want to help make their dream a reality quicker, there is a call out for designers, modders, and other talent to pitch in and help develop the mod.

Those seeking more information on the mod itself, or how to apply to join the Skyblivion team should head to the site. That’s also the home of Skywind, the mod bringing Morrowind into Skyrim.

From this site

1. Orillion says:

I know I’m in the minority here, but I find this kind of hilarious because they’re basically taking the worst game in the (modern) main series and putting it in the worst engine in the main series (really have to qualify that one because obviously we can’t count Battlespire or it takes both positions)

• killjoykid says:

The heart wants what the heart wants

• Sevarrius says:

Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

• Axyl says:

Sure Skyrim engine has it’s flaws, but graphically it’s the most advanced, and the combat system is a massive improvement over any TES game to date. Surely those two things alone make this project at least understandable.
      You don’t have to agree, obviously, but “hilarious”? I dunno, man. It just doesn’t seem that much of a leap to me, but each to their own I guess. :)

Not being hostile or anything. Just your wording kinda stuck out to me is all. :)

• anHorse says:

This is going to be very wishy washy but there’s just something about Oblivion that resonates more for me than Morrowind.

Oblivion was a rarity at the time, an rpg actually set in a nice sunny world with lovely trees and coasts. As someone who grew up on rpg meaning DARK and DUNGEON to wonder around in the sunlight of what’s basically English countryside was such a revelation.

Also whilst the main quest is largely bad (a few quests within it are great) everything else is good, the Misc quests were so varied that you never were sure what you were getting into.

So yeah for me Oblivion doesn’t deserve the hate it gets but I’d equally concede that Morrowind is a better game, I’d just love it more if it wasn’t so dingy looking.

• Wagrid says:

When I first played Oblivion it blew me away in a real “wait, this is what video games can be?” way. It was also my introduction to PC gaming – I had hundreds of mods installed for that thing. Nothing about it has aged particularly well and its comfortably the weakest modern TES (and probably the weakest open world Bethesda RPG in general). I’ll always think of it fondly though.

I maintain that Shivering Isles is actually good though. Just a million times more interesting than the main game.

• Konservenknilch says:

This. “Vanilla” is often used as a derogatory term, but it has its place. If you can game around the atrocious leveling system, Cyrodiil is just a lovely place to be in.

Rather funnily, Skyrim has a shout to give you instant sunny weather – I used that almost constantly once I got it.

Edit: This new edit function has a second-based countdown? Weird, but cool.

• mattevansc3 says:

If you were going to put the worst modern Elder Scrolls game in the Skyrim engine you’d just end up with Skyrim.

• Wagrid says:

Ah, you’ve never actually played an Elder Scrolls game, I see.

• mattevansc3 says:

I’ve played my fair share. Skyrim is just a bland, boring uninteresting “world”. It’s sole personality trait is horns on helmets.

Oblivion felt like a world, its main quest line may have been a bit insipid but the side quests fleshed out the world. Skyrim is a sub standard offline MMO made up of hand holding quest markers with the flimsiest of narrative attached to it.

• malkav11 says:

The markers were there in Oblivion, too. The quest design was basically the same in both games (though there’s like, two really standout quests in Oblivion and I’m not sure the same is true of Skyrim). The writing was basically the same in both. But Skyrim looks better, plays better, has better overall design (in most respects) particularly around scaling, and has a more interesting, varied, and imaginative world. Like…you have the tastes you have, I guess, but it’s really bizarre to me that you would draw these sharp distinctions between two games that are very similar in all the places you’re claiming a sharp difference of quality.

Morrowind is still the best, of course.

• Vedharta says:

The Blandness of Skyrim really showed off the huge difference between Worldbuilding and the actual games representation.

The biggest touted thing, the Dragons? Just random enemies you fire arrows at and chop up with a axe.

From all the insetting books, myths etc i would have expected Alduin to be more something like a Glorantha True Dragon then just another dragon you have to fight twice.

It made the whole main story cheap and bland, imho yadayada.

• Marr says:

This is all true, but without it we’d never have had Keeg’s Quest. http://www.ynrohkeeg.com

• MikoSquiz says:

Pow!

Honestly, the worst combination would be Skyrim in the Morrowind engine. Gotta love FPS-shooting arrows at enemies, then having them go through because hitting them just triggers an attack roll which then fails.

• Mrice says:

I am completely on-board with you even if its not a particularly popular opinion.

Skyrim was incredibly dull, every single quest boiled down to a) go to cave b) kill draugr c) pick up doohicky d) deliver doohicky

Oblivion was an incredibly flawed game but it was also a fuck-tonne more interesting, there were a million quests from oblivion that i still remember to this day (the one on the boat, the nuts paranoid guy behind the church, assassination via moose head, ect) but if you asked me to do the same for skyrim i’d be hard pressed to think of anything.

I think at the end of the day its just a matter of taste. I’d rather have a janky unpolished game thats interesting than a flawless but bland game.Other people have different priorities.

tldr: In my opinion Skyrim is from a technical standpoint far more developed, but from a narrative and creative standpoint very underdeveloped relative to the other games in the series.

• Geebs says:

Oblivion’s guild quests were way better than Skyrim’s, too. Thieves’ guild and Dark Brotherhood in particular.

• Cropduster says:

Absolutely. Oblivion had great quests. The murder mansion, the stolen painting, even a simple ‘kill trolls’ quest was made memorable by sending you inside an oil painting for it. For all it’s problems it’s quests are the best in the series.

Morrowind could fall back on it’s setting and writing to give it’s quests some weight but really it was mostly pretty basic fetch/kill stuff. Skyrim was almost all dungeon crawling at the end of the day.

• Arglebargle says:

Those particular Oblivion quests were good because they were farmed out to competent designers.

For me, Oblivion was the last time I bought a Bethesda game for more than $10. Abysmal design, with certain mentioned exceptions. It certainly took me out of the buyer pool.

Minsc_N_Boo says:

For me Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion

I did enjoy Oblivion when it came out, but it is the only game in the series I have not replayed. The DB and Theives Guild quests were great, but the rest of the game is very forgettable.

The biggest mistake for me was the level scaling. Bandits running round in priceless Daedric Armour was lore breaking, and really killed the feeling of progress.

2. JJRPIII says:

Unfortunately the gradual nature of graphics advances means that I just forget how shitty old games used to look. Add in the fact that Skyrim is looking a quite scrunty now anyway and the effect of this mod is that Oblivion now looks only a little bit crappier than I remember.

3. Freud says:

They should have made Morrowind in the Oblivion engine.

The Elder Scrolls: Moron

• gwop_the_derailer says:

This is a good post.

• Silverchain says:

Or Skyrim in the Daggerfall engine. ^^

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Well Morroblivion does actually exist. And it’s alright actually, and virtually finished.

• JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Morroblivion was a super weird experience for me in that it was like nostalgically reliving two very different periods of my life. It’s certainly a technical marvel, but it’s just so strange to have the Oblivion character models/lockpicking/bizarre speech minigame shoved into an otherwise untouched version of Morrowind’s world. Skywind looks like it’ll probably be more to my taste in that regard, once it finally gets finished.

4. waltC says:

IIRC, this thing has been a work in progress for years.

5. Lachlan1 says:

*number of mods

6. syllopsium says:

It doesn’t seem to look that different from Oblivion? Character models seem a little improved, maybe slightly improved lighting..

It’s certainly nowhere near as dramatic as Morrowind mods

• malkav11 says:

The character models and lighting are both really offputting in Oblivion these days, so that’s enough of an improvement for me. (Graphically, anyway. They should also keep some of the improvements Skyrim made mechanically, but may not since presumably the goal is authenticity.)

7. enwah says:

My first TES was Morrowind – which I modded off Go. Maybe that made it… better? Really enjoyed it. Oblivion (likewise modded from jump) was also great, aside from the gate grind (started from GOTY). Skyrim has been my favorite mainly for the far superior combat. Morrowind in Skyrim is, IMO, a GOOD thing. As long as levitation returns. Had a cheesy ring for that in Morrowind.
    I’ve downloaded Morroblivion but haven’t installed it, been too lazy to ISO my CDs – no Optical in current desktops. Looking forward to Skywind, tho.
    Be Cool,
    enwah

8. Samudaya says:

Oblivion has no soul. Just like Fallout 4. How many years have they been working on Skywind now? At this rate the next TES will be out before they’re done.

• brucethemoose says:

Yeah, I’m not happy with their decision to re-create more assets from scratch instead of re-using them.

Sure, it looks better (and possibly avoids legal issues???), but it will look even MORE dated thanks to the delay, and lose developer/artist interest… Heck, isn’t that what happened to Morroblivion?

Our only hope is Bethesda seriously mucking up the next game, thereby keeping interest in the Skyrim community (which, knowing Zenimax, is entirely possible).

9. brucethemoose says:

Shouldn’t they finish Skywind first? Or is this a case of some team members being idle and needing something else to work on?

10. Bullfrog says:

Updating things into new engines is all very well and good but something like Morrowind doesn’t suit the Skyrim engine. Magic and combat worked very differently (better in my opinion) and actually the modern modded version of Morrowind stands up pretty well.

11. buddy-bubble says:

I’d much more prefer them to release morrowind on the skyrim engine! Or at least any game with the complexity and atmosphere of morrowind with a modern engine. Binged and loved that game so much as a kid

• malkav11 says:

You’ll be happy to know that they are also doing that, then. In fact I am pretty sure Skywind (as it is dubbed) is farther along than Skyblivion.

Personally, I am skeptical of these mods as part of what makes Morrowind special is the relative freedom and complexity of its ruleset, and I’m not sure how much of that will be possible to recreate in later, much more trammeled engines. But we’ll always have OpenMW, if nothing else.

12. fatherjack says:

At least they only need to recreate one dungeon

13. RanDomino says:

This doesn’t look any better than my modded-up Oblivion.

Get Oblivion, get the Unofficial Patches, get Darnified UI, get OOO, get OCOv2, probably get Oblivion XP. If your computer is decent, get Qarl’s Texture Pack. Congratulations, you now have the best Elder Scrolls game.

14. AstroGazer says:

Loved Oblivion. It was the game that got me hooked onto Elder Scrolls. The quests and open world were the best. Then when I started using mods it was even better. Morrowind was so so, I never liked the Morrowinds UI. I still like Oblivion better than Skyrim.

15. Owedevil says:

Oblivion had teh best atmosphere, easily, of the series (so far.) Better story, characters, setting, magic system (spellmaking, summons,) etc. Skyrim of course is better overall, no question, but Oblivion was and is a great game. Remodding it atm.

16. AstroGazer says:

Loved Oblivion. Was one of the best and still is. Hopefully they will merge this with Skyrim SE. I think it will run alot better with SE.

Comment on this story