Stellar Overload Hits Steam Early Access

Cubical Drift’s Stellar Overload [official site] looks a whole lot like Cube World or Minecraft, though it looks slightly better than either of those games, at least in the aesthetics department. Kickstarted under the name Planets3 in 2014, the game and its cubic planets finally arrived on Steam Early Access this week, so it’s ripe for the trying.

Developers Cubical Drift expect that it’ll remain as a pre-release for about a year, so if you’ve got the hankering to craft items, build structures, and live off the land a la Minecraft, you’ve got plenty of time to do it before the game actually releases. Except there’s a little more to worry about here than one planet. There are multiple planets to set down on, as well as resources to collect and enemies to fell.

You get five weapons, one armor type and six enemies in Early Access. That could get a little tedious if that’s all there is for a whole year.

Still, if that sounds like your cup of tea you can pick up Stellar Overload on Steam Early Access for £13.49/17,99€/$17.99.

From this site

1. AngoraFish says:

Not only that, but two and a half years after the original Kickstarter (and a full 12 months later than the originally anticipated release date), you can now pick up a copy for less money than the original beta backers paid, and for only a few cents more than the original full edition backers paid (backers who still won’t be getting their keys until the game leaves Early Access, possibly a year from now, and well after the inevitable Steam 25% off winter sale discount).

But feel free to boycot any future Kickstarters by the same devs, since waiting will get you a better deal anyhow, and you’ll be able to wait to read the reviews first to see if paying real money is actually worth your while.

Also, it’s no longer a builder like Minecraft at all, it’s now a RPG instead.

• Heavenfall says:

You sound upset that backers didn’t “save money”, but that is rarely the case anywhere.

• AngoraFish says:

Mostly I’m not impressed that I need to wait another 12 months to get access to a game that I’ve already paid for, even though any pub can now buy in directly.

But yeah, not giving a discount to backers of your game, site unseen and unreviewed, three years out from launch is a dick move as well and undermines the entire crowd funding system for future developers.

• Darloth says:

Not getting access when anyone else can buy it for a similar price sucks, I agree with you on that point – I like kickstarters or similar where the “on release” part is “on release to early access”.

That said, I must agree with the rest of the comments that you shouldn’t expect it to be cheaper, and in fact, kick-starter games are usually more expensive than just waiting until they release. Certainly more expensive than waiting until an inevitable sale. You should (ideally, theoretically, etc) kickstart stuff because you’re worried it might not exist otherwise.

• aepervius says:

Changing a backed game from builder to rpg would certainly make me a little angry (but then again I never back anything off because of caveat emptor).

• GameCat says:

Kickstarter isn’t a preorder-at-discount-price platform. It can be, but doesn’t need to.

• airknots says:

I am also a bit bummed that some of the Kickstarter projects I backed were suddenly made available for a discount or included in a bundle just several months after release. I stopped backing videogame kickstarters cause of that.

• blind_boy_grunt says:

The price is one thing, but it seems like you get a steam key for the 20$ kickstarter tier and can upgrade to get a steam key at the 15$ tier. Or are there some ea shenanigans i don’t know about? link to stellar-overload.com

• Urthman says:

Good grief. Kickstarters are patronage donations to help make a game happen at all, not discount pre-orders. It’s completely ridiculous when you give to a Kickstarter campaign to assume the developers are never going to offer the game for sale at other price points. An agreement to give you the game when it’s done for a certain donation is not an agreement to never do business with anyone else in the meantime.

2. geldonyetich says:

Looked interesting, but I was intimidated by Steam reviews that claimed that the game has basically stalled out in development. I would have to see evidence of frequent updates to refute this.

3. Alberto says:

I backed this project and have a key of it but I can’t even remember what was about.

Hope the development goes well. My interest simply dried up and died some months ago.

Comment on this story