Rockstar Are Teasing A Red Dead Redemption Sequel

For PC folks, Red Dead Redemption is the lost Rockstar game. It’s also the Rockstar game that people seem to love the most and that can seem like a case of absence making the heart grow fonder, given that it is sequel-less and unavailable on our platform of choice. All of that may be coming to an end.

Rumours of a remaster or sequel have been doing the rounds for a while but Rockstar’s twitter feed appears to have confirmed that something Red Dead related is due to be announced. Sequel? Remaster? Multiplayer spin-off? Whatever it is, let’s hope it comes to PC.

Here’s what we know.

Oh. That’s it. That’s what we know. I suppose there’s also the fact that Rockstar tweeted a red version of their logo before they put that artwork up. That’s something.

Whether Rockstar are teasing Red Dead Redemption 2 (or maybe it’d be Red Dead Resurrection or something, given that the first game in the series was Red Dead Revolver) or a remaster, there’s no evidence to suggest it’ll definitely be coming to PC. But Rockstar release almost everything on PC so it’d be strange for Red Dead to remain an exception. Perhaps foolishly, the presence of RDR as an Xbox One back compatible game gives me the fear that there might be some agreement with Microsoft that’ll see Red Dead hidden on the Windows 10 store. I’m going to push that thought to the back of my mind though.

Hopefully we’ll know more soon. In the meantime, I spent a couple of minutes creating two alternative teaser images. Which one would you rather see?

Given that there was an undead-infected expansion for Redemption, Lovecraftian monstrosities might not be entirely out of the question when it comes to DLC. Mechs are probably a stretch.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. kud13 says:

Yes, we need Red Dead Gundam- and open-world mech game with the sombre tones of cowboy Bebop.

Or, y’know, Red Dead Redemption playable on Win7. Either or.

Cooper says:

Edit: I mean, this is much better than some of the pages of speculation that have been produced mere minutes after a fuzzy red-ish image gets tweeted…

I vote for setting it in the Red Alert Universe: RED DEAD Redemption: You are a Chrono-assasin charged with killing as many evil ‘reds’ as you can. Einstein appears in the role of a kind of ‘Q’.

• DEspresso says:

Not saying I don’t love it but, Einstein is removed from the Timeline in Red Alert 3 so would this be another Universe Reboot?

• Regicider 12.4% says:

This time(travel) they assassinate Thomas Jefferson and the Tree of Liberty will wither and no tyrants harmed.
        Then Ben Franklin defects to the Soviet Confederate Union Pact taking with him the awesome destructive power of bifocals.

3. smeaa mario says:

Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be an online-heavy freakshow rather than what we have seen and loved in the original?

• Steravel says:

Probably from the multiple figure silhouettes, and the knowledge that GTA5 Online was a massive success in its own right that has continued to drive GTA5 sales years past its release.

To be optimistic, that doesn’t mean there wont be a great single player experience attached to whatever it is too. I more than got my money’s worth out of GTA5 single player. If it does turn out to be an RDR sequel, it’s long been speculated that game would feature multiple protagonists in similar fashion to GTA5

• smeaa mario says:

It was the opposite for me. While I thoroughly enjoyed the SP campaign of GTAV, I found it to be too short for my taste. When everything to be done was over, I was still expecting at least that much more content to be delivered. Well, it’s just that I am a total SP lover. Multiplayer in most games is a last resort for me. You, on the other hand, probably had your fill of multiplayer experience too, and it was fine enough for you.

• Steravel says:

Nah. Never even touched the Online part of GTA 5. Played through the single player a couple different times though over the years, picking up things I missed out on the second time through, as well as not waiting to the end to exploit the stock market missions so I had more money to play with while the story was going on this time. But I’m a completionist, a mini-game enthusiast (played so much golf), and subject to random flights of fancy like driving way out into the country, only to steal a lawn tractor, drive it all the way back to the city and park it in my garage. Steam informs me I have well over 150 hours out of GTA5.

• Flatley says:

I hope so. GTA V online with friends is easily some of the most fun I’ve ever had.

4. Flangie says:

By the time it comes out on PC in 3 years time, Windows 7/8 will be unsupported so the fact that it could be exclusive to Win 10 store is probably not an issue…..

• smeaa mario says:

I am counting on people to devise some solutions to that. There is no way Microsoft can make me hop on into their horrible bandwagon so easily.

• GenialityOfEvil says:

The store has problems well beyond simply being on Windows 10. The one that would ruffle Rockstar’s feathers the most would be the mandatory use of UWP, they like having control over what they can do with their games and UWP has a lot of restrictions.

• Regicider 12.4% says:

Three years is plenty of time for The Year of The Linux Desktop to get here. A true Age of Renaissance for PC. Every problem solved. 😂

phuzz says:

I want this to be about Red Dead Something, but given their recent focus this is probably just a red themed bit of DLC for GTAV. I assume if it’s still in the charts it must still be making them bags of cash, they would be daft not to keep milking that gift horse*.

* (I like my metaphors like I like my herbs)

hemmer says:

Why not both? RED DEAD RIM!

7. ukpanik says:

Reminds me of the poster for Akira Kurosawa’s Dersu Uzala.

8. Michael Fogg says:

RDR has a great script and storyline, but delivered via endless unskippable cutscenes, and the gameplay was dull, the open world barely had any meaningful side activities.

9. Voqar says:

Red Dead on PC would be nice. I get tired of my console peasant friends telling me how awesome it is. But it’ll never be awesome enough, nor will any exclusive to peon title be awesome enough, for me to ever buy a console. The console exclusives do the opposite – they just make me despise consoles even more (on top of already designing them for their horrific influence on game design via poor UI, loading screens, performance and general holding back of tech for games, etc).

• Raoul Duke says:

I bought a PS3 specifically to play RDR and MGS4, and I regret nothing. And as it turns out it’s also a superior bluray player and Netflix box.

keefybabe says:

I have it for ps3 but my spoiled pc face can’t cope with the low resolution and low framerate. I fought through long enough to know it not being on pcga is a genuine tragedy.

I’m here shaking my head at myself. I started out on a zx spectrum and here I am complaining about a 30fps 720p game.

• popej says:

It was good but it was criminal that there was no way to play it with mouse and keyboard.

10. Hyena Grin says:

I recently grabbed Red Dead Redemption for the Xbone. We’re not really console people but we figured why not supplement our cozy living room.

Anyway, I didn’t finish it. I might yet, but I definitely got the impression that this is a game that is in the wilderness between design styles, for Rockstar. It’s still a little goofy (like GTA IV) without the cinematic style and gloss of GTA V, so it feels a lot more like one of GTA IV’s expansion packs than it does anything else. I dunno, the feel was just off. It felt old in a way that I wasn’t expecting. I realize I am holding an older game to current standards, but what else can you do if you’re playing something for the first time?

I guess what I am saying is that I am wildly looking forward to RDR2 (or whatever they call it), specifically because RDR seemed so promising and yet didn’t really impress. I really want that lonely deserts and cowboys experience, and I got to RDR too late to really appreciate it for what it was.

11. mitthrawnuruodo says:

With AAA games these days, its safe to bet its a multiplayer something.

12. C0llic says:

I was lucky enough to play through Red Dead on a friends xbox 360 and it’s a truly exceptional piece of work. It has the best story Rockstar produced, and the world, atmosphere and missions are all superb. It really is one of those games that shocks you at just how good it is. Such a shame we never got it on PC.

13. JFS says:

RDR was very good, if long-winded. I didn’t finish it. I’m not sure we PC gamers missed a lot that we didn’t get elsewhere. Maybe the Western atmosphere.

14. MrFinnishDude says:

some dudes on the internet peeked at some jawa scripts and said it will be “Red Dead Retribution”, probable but only time will tell.

15. CartonofMilk says:

i don’t understand this news story…i mean red dead redemption 2 has been in the works for quite some time and has not been a secret so surely this twitter thing is just about more news on RDR2 and while i cant remember if they have yet mentioned it would be coming to PC it seems pretty much a given it will.

While i know they released Bully on pc quite a few years late (and thank god for that), i think now is way too late for them to consider doing RDR on PC.

But yes I have remained extremely sore about the lack of RDR on pc since i’m a pc gamer only (no money for consoles) and a gigantic western nerd (gigantic in the sense that i’ve probably seen over 500 westerns and i’ve even written 3/4 of a western novel). I HAVE considered buying a 360 in the last year just to play RDR because they go for relatively cheap nowadays.

• MrFinnishDude says:

There has only been speculations about a new Red Dead game until now. Now we know for sure one is coming out and thats pretty newsworthy because, you know A NEW RED DEAD GAME!!! AAAAAHHH!

16. Qrutch says:

I replayed RDR recently. I really think it would be a shame if this was just a remaster. Before I replayed it again I had serious nostalgia for the game and bought a cheap xbox 360 on craigslist just for the purpose of replaying RDR.

This game really was 70% nostalgia and 30% fun. When it first came out it was awesome. But for me it wasn’t as great a replay and was kind of boring.

I haven’t encountered many remasters in my life that I thought were worth the developers time and my money. Usually mods make old games great again, but remasters usually just seem like a waste of time.

17. Steravel says:

*In best Danny Glover Voice*

I’m getting too old for this shit.

Wake me when Rockstar is done with their PR wankery, and there’s real news.

18. Aldous Huxley says:

Finally! Good news, thanks RPS! What with HBO’s Westworld currently on our minds, it was rather predictable news Rockstar would be riding that marketing train For a Few Dollars More. Well, even if Sony/M$ can bribe Rockstar enough again to keep the next Red Dead console exclusive, surely it’s past time we saw other dev studios make equally epic Spaghetti Western themed games, perhaps something with a little more depth? Why are open world Spaghetti Western RPG’s so ubiquitously non existent? I loved RDR with a passion but having to shoot running cougars spawning out of nowhere every five minutes started getting a little tedious. No, a deeper gritty RPG with a backstory in the style of Fallout but set in the old West has to be made! Not necessarily an officially licensed ‘Westworld’, no, just an open world sandbox set in a Sergio Leone style ‘The Good, The Bad and the Ugly’ universe and let us be Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef or Eli Wallach and explore that world as we see fit. And, why not hire Clint Eastwood for some voice acting work while he’s still alive? I mean, it wouldn’t be the first videogame he’s lent his voice acting skills to, would it? If I was him, I wouldn’t want ‘Firefox, the arcade game’ to be the ONE videogame I was remembered for. Don’t forget to “Think in Russian”…

• Blastaz says:

Why aren’t there more western games? given the influnce the genre has had on pop culture it’s surprising there have been so few. A proper rpg where you could join the federals or bandits or be a small town sherif or join the injuns. It’s got a faction system and multiple endings just screaming at you. It allows you to be as (im)maturely grim dark as you like. And you can spin a story of historical injustice into it as well. Plus you can comb and braid the mane of your faithful steed!

• Steravel says:

Probably the same reason there aren’t more Western movies these days. It’s now a niche genre in pop culture, trading mostly on nostalgia from cinemaphiles, or from older people who were raised in a time where Westerns were more mainstream.

• Zenicetus says:

One reason might be that anything involving shooting has now conditioned players to expect a wide variety of guns, and lots of interesting upgrades on those guns as part of an RPG-type progression.

Wild West guns are pretty basic, especially if the game is historically realistic. When games try to elaborate on that with unusual weapons and upgrades (like the Call of Juarez series) it starts to feel like a steampunk alternative Wild West.

I still like Wild West games even with fancied-up weapons, and I wish there were more of them.

• Steravel says:

I dunno. If you can make a modern setting game interesting with meaningful gameplay differences between different models of pistol, rifle, and shotgun, you can surely do it in a western game. The only thing really not represented in that setting are rapidfire automatic weapons, and I thought RDR compensated for that with the distinction between Repeaters and more standard rifles. There was no shortage of fun ways to kill stuff in RDR.

I really think it’s just a matter of a niche genre no longer in the mainstream. The young audience these games are mostly aimed were raised with Westerns largely absent in pop culture, have no nostalgia or appreciation for the Western genre, and probably don’t understand the appeal.

The first time a new big budget western movie makes a billion dollars at the box office and spawns a franchise, you’ll see a lot more Western games. In the meantime, the Magnificent 7 was a box office dud, while even a terrible Batman and Superman movie can make a half a billion dollars in the international market. With the exception of RDR, Western games have niche appeal, and never really make anyone much money.

• Turkey says:

I dunno. It’s a few degrees too niche for the mass appeal of a AAA published game, I guess. Same reason we don’t see too many big noir or cyberpunk games.

• Steravel says:

Noir, quibbles about whether Noir is a genre or a stylistic approach aside, is indeed under-served. Cyberpunk, though, depending on how broad your definition, is on the upswing and pretty well represented in recent years with CDP’s Cyberpunk RPG on the horizon.

• Turkey says:

Yeah, bad example. Totally forgot about the two recent Deus Ex games too.

19. gunny1993 says:

Damn, this means I owe my roommate a 5er, we live round the corner from rockstar north and he heard some people who work their talking about cowboys in a nearby cafe, he said that meant they were making RDD2, I said he was a fool ….

20. משוגע־סאָפֿע says:

framerate : 1 per 24hrs
    in this day & age it’s scandalous

21. PsychoX says:

RDR is good for two playthroughs at best. After that the experience is pretty dull.

22. welverin says:

They’re just celebrating the release of the PS2 version of Red Dead Revolver on PS4, nothing to get excited about.

As for you’re two variant posters, definitely the tentacles.

Finally, why does RDR getting backwards compatibility support on Xbox One make you worry anything else they did would be Windows Store exclusive?

• Hardlylikely says:

GTA IV is unusable for most people on modern systems thanks to GFWL and the Social Club. Check the Steam page. This shows Rockstar have been willing to compromise on their titles’ longevity and accessibility for short term profit. They are very capable of bone headed technical decisions to the detriment of their customers.

23. Dekion says:

If I ever have to herd cows in a lightning storm again it’ll be too soon. Rdr had some great set pieces but I’d had enough by Mexico. Maybe sequel will be more fun to play…

• Steravel says:

A pity. Mexico was when it started getting really good, and made the case for it being the best Rockstar game to date. I understand why someone would bail on the game before that point…some of the early game set pieces cow herding/roping missions were beyond tedious. But if you’ve never actually finished the game, you never will understand the praise it’s given on a storytelling front.

• MrFinnishDude says:

Mexico was my favourite part of the story, i feel like yiu were a bit too hasty in your judgement.

24. karnak says:

Red Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Shoot – the DLC

25. Avus says:

Magnificent 7?

26. racccoon says:

Red Dead Redemption needs to be on the PC. Its been rockstars biggest loss!
    And the sequel should be a MMO & keep to the standards of Red Dead Redemption with no fantasy bullshit what so ever a western, for wild wests sake!
    Of course there could also be another game developer who is currently making a wild west mmo and they could possibly release their game way before Rockstars!
    who knows erhhh!?!

• rokahef says:

no. Please no.

The original was a single-player story-driven game, why would you turn it into a watered down MMO?

We’re still in pain over Knights of the Old republic being turned into an MMO when the only thing that fans wanted was KotOR III, so having another franchise ruined by MMO-fication is the last thing I would want.

• HoboDragon says:

The game is so good, it’s worth buying a console just for that. I don’t use my XBXO360 anymore since quite a while back, but I am keeping it for RDR.
      A PS3 or X360 costs nowadays nothing.

27. Derty says:

I’ll be excited if they announce it for PC. Until then I couldn’t really give less of a shit…

28. HoboDragon says:

As excited as I am – what I fear for any new story/open world game being released nowadays is that they reuse standard formulas, in particular the
    “find the ? on the map for extra achievement, maybe some cash, just to extend game-time” mechanics.
    Sure, they are optional, can be fun to a certain extent, but feel, outdated, at least if you played single player games in the last 2-3 years such as Max-Max, Skyrim, Far Cry 3/4, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and many others.
    It’s not necessarily bad, don’t get me wrong, but if that is the only incentive to get you to explore stuff, I wonder what games will be like in 5 or 10 years from now.
    Maybe I just game too much….

• inspiredhandle says:

Playing Fallout 4 on survival difficulty changes the gameplay completely. All the Preston Garvey missions etc. just go to the back of your mind when you have to contend with tiredness, sickness, hunger, thirst, no fast travel, no saving outside of sleeping, and a real lack of ammo. The game turns into a real slog, you can’t just teleport back and forth from your power armour hangar etc.
      Devs should put this in every collect ’em up as a difficulty option. It really eliminates your ADHD/completionist impulses.

29. fco says: