Stellaris Gets Space Krakens and More With Leviathans

Paradox’s 4x grand strategy game Stellaris [Official Site] is getting another boost to story and mechanics with the upcoming Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack. Now, instead of just worrying about the everyday issues of diplomacy, combat, and trade, you also have to worry about giant space Kraken destroying your fleets.

A new video reveals more about the expansion, which is coming this week.

The three primary components in the Leviathans Story Pack are:

• Mysterious and strange space entities called Guardians who may or may not want to slaughter your entire race for vague reasons. If you defeat or reason with them you’ll gain access to powerful new technologies and great treasures.
  • Communities of the citizens of fallen and lost empires called Enclaves. These independent outposts are manned by either traders; with whom you can exchange resources or purchase information about the galaxy, and artists, who can create a great work of art for your empire to raise your citizen’s happiness.
  • There now is also the risk that two Fallen Empires may rise up again to renew an ancient conflict. When a War in Heaven occurs you’ll have to choose to take a side with one of the Fallen Empires, form a league of non-aligned worlds, or try and remain neutral and hope no one notices you.

The Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack adds a whole lot of new random factors to your struggle in the stars and these three new aspects of gameplay can take a strong empire to its knees in the space of a few turns. You can fight the space Krakens and giant silver spheres in your copy of Stellaris when the Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack releases on Steam October 20 with a price of $9.99.

From this site

1. Rizlar says:

What is this ‘turns’?

• Solidstate89 says:

The average amount of time that passes in between pauses of the RTS because shit gets out of hand?

• Hyena Grin says:

A slip I could see myself making.

I still find myself unwittingly thinking and talking about real-time strategy games in terms of turns. Too much time dumped into countless TBS games, I suspect.

• Veles says:

It’s very easy to do with Paradox grand strategy games as they play very much like a TBS. I don’t like RTS games these days but very much enjoy Paradox games as they scratch the same itch. The real time part of it is so slow even on faster speeds that it makes it feel like a TBS, especially with the space to pause button.

• A Wanderer says:

Am I the only one who never really managed to get into Paradox’s grand strategy games because of that real-time thing ?

• Zenicetus says:

The realtime thing kept me from getting into EU4, even though I bought it and dabbled with it a little. I probably didn’t give it a fair shot. I don’t like feeling like I’m being rushed, or that there’s too much going on to keep track of.

However, I think a lot of that comes down to just not being familiar with the game mechanics at first. Realtime-with-pause is a terrible way to get familiar with a new game. You don’t know what you need to know, so realtime is stressful.

With Stellaris I had more patience because I’ve always loved space 4x games. I was highly motivated to accept the format and roll with it. The game proceeds slowly enough (and can be slowed down even further) that I’ve managed to adapt to the idea that things are always happening everywhere, and not just at the interface of a Next Turn button.

• Someoldguy says:

I found it worked in the older games once you went into their message settings and told it to pop up a message and pause for everything, then dialled that back a bit once you got comfortable. I’m finding it more frustrating in the streamlined Stellaris approach because there’s no way to tell it to pause on a whole host of useful events.

2. Asokn says:

It’s good that more content is being added but I found the mid game of Stellaris so utterly bland that I would really need to see something like the addition of 500 new events and quests before I considered picking it up again. I may bide my time and then buy a load of expansions all at once to really shake the game up.

3. Superpat says:

While these features all look cool, I just cant wait to see the patch notes, they’re supposed to be huge! I seem to remember reading about them coming a little over 16 pages.

• mouton says:

No wonder, this patch is supposed to fix severe deficiencies of the base release. They worked long to make it, I hope it is great.

• Zenicetus says:

Yep, the game hasn’t been patched since mid-August, and there are many outstanding issues that are supposedly addressed in this patch like the way sector AI handles slavery, plus a bunch of new stuff like reorganized ship roles. The DLC sounds interesting, but it’s also sounding like mid-game filler compared to all the work the game still needs in basic mechanics.

I’m a little wary of actually playing it, until there is some feedback from players on how all this new stuff gels together.

• Superpat says:

While I agree the game has deficiencies, I found that by roleplaying I’m able to get past most of them. At least enough that I’m still playing now.

Though in my case I’m instantly entranced whenever I get to interact with the intersection between strategy and roleplaying.

4. theWillennium says:

Babylon 5? Babylon 5! Mechanics like the War in Heaven and the use of the phrase “League of Non-Aligned Worlds” really makes me want to believe that B5 is informing their design as much as it is informing my desires of what I would like the game to do.

• Jay Load says:

They also used the phrase “giants in the playground” on one of their screens, which was also used by that incredible show. Honestly, the entire setup of that War in Heaven sounds like they wanted B5 in their game!

…which may have just elevated this expansion to “Must Purchase”!

5. mercyRPG says:

What’s Stellaris? Oh, the game, where a youtube reviewer praised the combat is rarely done this good and I checked out and the combat is super crap real time pause… aaarrrrghh AvoidWare.

• criskywalker says:

Hey, you’re edgy! This time I think I’ll have to agree with you. Let me know when Stellaris gets a hundred DLC.

• Chalky says:

I’m sorry you were so shocked to discover other people have different opinion from you, and that your idea of what makes good combat isn’t some sort of universal truth.

6. Undermind_Mike says:

So what is it about other Paradox GSs that makes Stellaris’s mid/late game so boring in comparison, and which of those factors could potentially be modded in?

• Zenicetus says:

I don’t think it can work like that. The previous Paradox games relied on historical starting positions for various empires, where some were very weak, others very strong, and you know what you’re getting into when you choose a particular faction.

Stellaris starts almost all factions on the same footing (with a few much stronger things you encounter later on). It’s on a randomized playing field that’s different for every game, which they’ve never done before. So it’s much more of a traditional 4X game than Grand Strategy, at least for the early to mid game, and they’re still figuring out how to make that work.

• Darloth says:

The earlygame was/is excellent though – the traditional exploration phase of the 4x is done really well, there’s a LOT of stuff to explore, you get measurable long term benefits from doing it well, and the geopolitical landscape formed by the randomly generated empires of random types and inclinations is pretty different each time through.

That’s a good start – but at least in version 1, the midgame didn’t really do much with that. Once you’d explored most of the things you could reach, the AI was a little flat, the politics didn’t work nearly as well as most of their other games (oddly enough – I thought they’d have been good at that) and it was mostly a slog until the endgame where things might be great or might just not work very well or, occasionally, nothing at all would happen and it would just be a slog until you declared the game won.

Supposedly, most of these are now fixed. We’ll see, I guess.

7. 2lab says:

Didn’t Alice’s post on the same topic do the job, I’m fine with hyping Paradox patches but once a week is enough.

Comment on this story