Red Dead Redemption 2 Announced, PC Not Confirmed

As expected, Rockstar have strapped on their shooting iron and saddled up to announce Red Dead Redemption 2 [official site]. 2010’s Red Dead Redemption, an open-world cowboy ’em up in the modern Grand Theft Auto style, is perhaps my favourite Rockstar game so this is splendid news.

In a disappointing but unsurprising turn, no, Rockstar haven’t said anything about a PC version yet; only console releases are confirmed. I’m not worried, mind, as it took Rockstar ages to talk about Grand Theft Auto V on Windows then we received a fine PC version – one which rarely leaves the Steam top 10. Surely it’ll come here too.

“With Red Dead Redemption 2, the team is working hard to push forward our vision for interactive entertainment in a truly living world,” said Rockstar founder Sam Houser in a press release. “We hope to deliver players an epic experience that builds upon everything we’ve learned making games.”

Today’s announcement is a bit slim, with only that quote, word that a trailer will come on Thursday (at 4pm UK time, vidwatchers), and this blast of wordglarb:

“Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland. The game’s vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience.”

It’ll be on consoles in autumn 2017 then… surely PC later? 2018? I’d be mighty surprised if this skips us. Yes, even though Red Dead Redemption still hasn’t hit PC.

Rockstar never really explained Red Dead Redemption’s absence, with the closest being a Q&A bit suggesting it was somehow unviable:

“All we can say is that whenever it is viable (technically, developmentally and business-wise) for us to release a game for PC (or any other particular platform) – we will and we usually do; unfortunately, that is just not the case 100% of the time for all platforms.”

Grand Theft Auto V’s near-eternal rampage across the Steam charts would suggest that Red Dead Redemption 2 would be safe at least business-wise. As for developmentally, consoles release first then a solid PC version later – so they can focus on it properly – would sound sensible. Technically? It’d be weird if it they didn’t think ahead this time.

Gosh, I’ll be delighted if both Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption 2 end up Steam chart regulars, driving our Alec down a dark path where he wanders lost and confused, tearing at his hair while singing “Grand Theft Auto Red Dead, Red Dead Theft Grand Theft Red Dead” to the tune of the Vengaboys’ We Like To Party.

From this site

1. RedViv says:

Red Dead Revolution
    Red Dead Retirement
    Red Dead Revengeance
    Red Dead Rightokaywhattheheckisawomanhowdoesitwork

corinoco says:

Rockstar? The Bryan Adams of the games industry? Not technically feasible to put RDR on PC? When a mediocre PC can run rings around a PS3? Why do I keep asking questions? Is my Austfailian peseta coinage not good enough even for Bryan Adams?

• GallonOfAlan says:

“All we can say is that whenever it is viable (technically, developmentally and business-wise)”

Obviously technically viable. Probably decided not to bother business-wise or were trying to get GTA V out the door.

• Kurgol says:

It was relatively common knowledge at the time, but this “business decision” was made to shut up all the “PC Master Race” who at the time were arguing that it should come PC first and port to consoles second, some even saying that there was no point in consoles.

I can’t remember who it was in Rockstar at the time but one of them said it would never come to PC to prove there was a point to consoles (I also think at the time they were suffering heavy piracy of PC games).

So yeah, it probably wasn’t economical for them when 80% of their players were pirating the game, to make the PC version.

I’m still sad about this as have owned every GTA game and love them, but love Red Dead more :_(

• DuncUK says:

Have you got anything to back this up? Far from being ‘common knowledge’ I have never heard this bizarre explanation before and I spent alot of time over the years trawling forums for any snippet of information as to why RDR never came to PC. The “technical feasibility” explanation and a whole heap of speculation was the best we ever got, as far as I’m concerned. Can you cite anything to back this up?

• bigblack says:

Your supposed ‘relatively common knowledge’ sounds like total bullshit.

The Almighty Moo says:

One wonders if this is because a console game earns more for the pubs/ devs over its lifespan than a PC one, especially at AAA. Pure speculation mind, I have no backup for that. Would be interested to know though.
        (Edit: my word, an edit button)

• Vandelay says:

I believe your speculation is incorrect. PC has much, much better sales over time than console. There is virtually no secondhand market on PC, whereas bricks and mortars stores still do a lot of business with second hand copies of console games (of which most of profits don’t go back to the publisher.)

• NotGodot says:

It’s not just about power. Red Dead is pretty fucked up under the hood from all accounts- It could be ported but it’d take a lot of manhours and those are valuable when you’ve got other projects on that scale underway.

• Mr. Robot says:

Rockstar typically delays their PC ports so that piracy doesn’t eat into their sales on consoles. Given that they’re likely using the GTA5 engine – and that ran fine on PC – it’s probably going to show up a few months after the console release.

• Poor People says:

You have to keep in mind that Rockstar is not a single developer with a single personality, but a group of different studios with different development strategies. It only seems like it because all the studios had been branded with the Rockstar name and logo and are only identified by their geographical location and logo color scheme (Rockstar North has GTA and Manhunt, Rockstar Leeds has the PSP, DS and iOS GTA games, Rockstar Vancouver had Bully, Rockstar Toronto has The Warriors, and several other studios are in charge of outsourced porting.)

RDR was developed by Rockstar San Diego (formely Angel Studios of Midtown Madness and Midnight Club fame), a studio which has effectively abandoned the PC platform since 2003. They developed RDR as little more as a cocky showoff of what they’re capable of and are apparently very selective of what platforms they allowed other studios to port their game to.

If you really want to pin the blame on why you never got RDR for the PC, blame Rockstar San Diego, not Rockstar Games as a whole.

• Mr. Robot says:

Rockstar is very much a single developer with a single personality. Yes, they have many studios, but all of those studios will collaborate on a single project (AAA development is huge nowadays), and they’re very, very tightly managed by their head studio in New York. If there’s no PC port, that’s HQ’s decision, not San Diego’s.

• Poor People says:

I was referring to the way Rockstar games were developed circa 2010. And sure, games like Bully and Manhunt (and 2) eventually made it to the PC, but there is a window of a few years to make porting to the PC platform viable. RDR was beyond porting by 2012/2013.

That said, the way Rockstar Games’ management structure has changed the past 5 years has improved the prospects of a well-made PC port for RDR2, even though there is no word on a current RDR2 PC port (it’s exactly the same mode of operation as when clamors for a PC port of GTA V intensified between 2012 and 2015). Max Payne 3, LA Noire (which was picked up by multiple R* studios after Team Bondi imploded) and GTA V qualify as group effort, and had relatively reasonable gaps between releases on consoles and the PC. I’m cautiously optimistic about a RDR2 PC port.

3. BlueDragon says:

Maybe they will go with UWP?

4. syndrome says:

Ok, we’re not going to get PC version :(

5. Laurentius says:

I don’t get appeal of this game. Driving car or bike in open world sandbox like GTA is fun. Riding a horse in video games sucks and gnerally big pita.

• mouton says:

I have played Mount & Blade for a thousand days and for those words I will chop your head off from horseback.

• GallonOfAlan says:

I don’t get the appeal of driving unrealistic cars and bikes around. Funny old world innit.

• Laurentius says:

Unrealistic or realisitc is irrelevant as driving controls just work. Maybe you’ve played diffeent games but in my experience riding a horse in games, from Assassin Creed to Witcher 3 is a borked feature.

• LexW1 says:

So did you play RDR? It seemed to work fine there, and surely that’s the only relevant point of comparison.

The idea that cars/bikes always “just work” in all games isn’t just laughable, it’s aggressively reality-denying.

• N'Al says:

AC horses are perfectly fine? RDR’s too, for that matter.

Non-issue.

• Sin Vega says:

I spent most of my time in RDR on foot, wandering contendely and occasionally shooting a bird to sell its precious feathers. And watching my then-partner play poker and swear at Gertie, who we’d decided we loathed for some reason.

I mean, the horses were fine, that’s all. It’s not GTA with horses, it’s an open world Western game, and there are almost no others that can say the same. I really don’t know why there aren’t more games in that setting, it’s such an obvious well of material for games in particular, but there it is.

• Elric666 says:

I want an open world game set in ancient Rome, where I can infiltrate the luxurious villas of filthy rich senators to murder them for a rival or steal their precious gold. I want to ride a chariot in horse races and fight for my life as a gladiator in the Colosseum. I want to enlist in the Roman army and go fight barbarians in the dark forests of Germania, or enlist on a trireme and do battle against pirates in the Mediterranean. I want to trade in rare spices and precious stones from faraway lands on the marketplace and establish new trade routes with distant cities. I want to buy an attractive slave girl on the slave market and have her polish my blade while I am resting at home. I want to play the political game and rise in the ranks to help implement policies that will shape the destiny of an empire.

6. a very affectionate parrot says:

Great name for the third game in the series.
    Should be Xbox One exclusive using their logic.

7. ulix says:

I wouldn’t be so sure this game will come out on PC. The last game primarily developed by Rockstar San Diego that came for PC was Midnight Club 2 in 2003, 13 years ago.

After that they made Red Dead Revolver, Midnight Club 3, Table Tennis, Midnight Club LA, and RDR. None of these ever made its way to PC.

Maybe some nerd can check job listings, and see if there’s any tips in that. But sadly, I’m really not sure it will ever come to PC.

8. Capitán Indie says:

How do you skip pc in 2016. JUST HOW?!?

9. Zach Fett says:

Personally I was really hoping they’d return to the Manhunt series. Oh well.

If this is going to be a prequel, which it looks like due to what I assume is a young John Marston and Bill Williamson, why would they confusingly title this as a sequel to Redemption? Ugh.

10. walrus1 says:

This seems like, at best, a 50/50 shot of this landing on the PC. Would be awesome if it comes but remember Rockstar has snubbed us before.

Also am I the only one who thinks the PC port of GTA V was far from perfect? Everytime V gets a big update the updater takes forever to download. It often gets stuck at the end and has to redownload large parts of the update. That’s pretty far from a fine port oh and it has really silly DRM too.

11. Marblecake says:

I don’t get how anyone can expect this game to come out for PC. RDR never did. The best game Rockstar ever made and we never got it.

I’m done with them.

*goes into corner and cries*

12. Sp4rkR4t says:

Guessing they take the easy option and make the Xbox version play anywhere.

13. Kasper says:

What happened to those rumours about the original RDR being remastered and released for PC as well as the new gen consoles?

If that’s true, the chances of a PC version of RDR2 seem quite good.

link to vg247.com

14. geldonyetich says:

The AAA game industry is weird. Lets release several open world sandbox crime simulators on the PC. Oh, hey, this open world sandbox game is simulating being a gunfighting cowboy. Let us release another open world sandbox crime simulator on the PC instead, surely they don’t get enough of those.

15. jonahcutter says:

Wasn’t GTA 5 for PC released something like 2 years after the console version?

Rampant speculation ahead:

With a delay that long, and the ongoing strength of GTA5 PC sales, they’re likely getting a lot of double-dippers. People who bought the console version and because of the significant delay, were more willing to buy a second copy on PC. If they release all versions simultaneously, anxious PC-orientated players get their fix without having to buy a console version first.

Plus, with such a long delay, they might not have even done much (if any) work on the PC version before releasing the console versions. So instead of having to employ more staff to develop all three simultaneously, they can perhaps shift staff over to PC development after console release, saving themselves the cost of a third development team.

Considering how much money GTA 5 has made them, the “economics” reason for no PC confirmation is a laugh. It’s probably that even though they probably profit just fine with a simultaneous release, they stand to make a lot more by delaying it significantly.

GTA 5 was pretty good and the wait provided a well-optimized game. But if there’s a two year delay, that’s Fall 2019. With PC-orientated sites providing free coverage every step of the way to keep the anticipation up. That’s a long way out and a lot of free, extended publicity.

AutonomyLost says:

I can believe this line of thought. I am one of the people who bought it for the 360 originally and again for PC when it finally released, without a second thought. I hope you’re not right, but it does make sense.

• renzollama says:

I bought it for ps3, 360, ps4, and pc. I’ve embraced the shame so thoroughly that now it has almost transformed into a twisted form of pride.

• Blastaz says:

I think the gtav model is the likely one they’ll use release first on console then polish up a pc version down the line. It took 18 months for GTA v and that involved a one year delay for the new consoles to launch, I would expect this to take 6-12 months.
      And looking at the legs GTA has on steam I highly doubt they don’t want a part of that revenue stream…

16. gbrading says:

Hey, maybe they’re going to give us a remastered version of Red Dead Redemption original in the meantime?

Pah who am I kidding, wake me up in 2018/19 when Rockstar have deigned to talk to us again.

17. dangermouse76 says:

The online element sounds like they are going down the GTA V route. Not sure thats for me, missing my GTA dlc I is.

• foszae says:

As someone who likes a bit of story with my gaming, GTA online had no appeal for me. I’m not the type to spend thousands on Shark Cards or grind away week in and week out just to pick up a couple slightly different looking car models. The Western setting of Red Dead might be a little appealing, but it’s still likely to just be a generic murderthon (with shiny graphics!). Their decision to go all-in with the online model signals that maybe it’s time for me to just drift away from Rockstar Games in general…

keefybabe says:

TBH I already have. I bought GTAV forgetting that I don’t actually like the GTA games past the first couple and much much prefer the Saints Row series, or sleeping dogs.

18. Aldous Huxley says:

Hurrah! Not a huge problem if no PC Steam version arrives, but where are we supposed to store all our old console hardware for all these “exclusives” we need to keep buying specific games consoles for? It’s becoming an ever-increasing mass of dusty chunks of plastic and wires and I’m being forced to be a “console hoarder” not by choice. We would’ve had the room to store them, but that was before we recently invited a group of illegal immigrants to join us. Looks like I’ll be moving back to the family castle in Scotland next year to make room in the west wing (or the dungeon) to hoard yet more useless chunks of plastic if I ever want to play my old “console exclusives” again. No doubt the money junkies responsible for this wonderful marketing scheme will be rubbing their hands together vigorously with glee, conveniently solving the problem they created in the first place by selling us a cloud console “subscription service”, where we can play our “last-last-last-gen” console exclusives for £6.66 per hour online. Um, how about no? Rockstar, if you truly care about creating a timeless work of art worthy of winning games industry awards (rather than making a fast buck with a toy maker) then please, just cut out the unwanted scamming middle-men and sell us the original PC game software you created and coded lovingly in the dev studio in the first place, thanks? See you next time you’re in Aberdeenshire.

19. Cyrus says:

Yet another Red Dead I (we) don’t get to experience, *big sigh*.
    There’s hardly any game I would want more. Even more than GTA V (haven’t played or purchased it yet, says it all), if it was never released.

20. Steravel says:

So the announcement is for a game that’s a year away at least, and not even on PC, a massively profitable platform for GTA5?

What a waste of perfectly good hype.

21. Avus says:

Rockstar pull this Sh!t again?? Even after made millions on GTA5 PC…

22. UncleLou says:

I’ve just been to pcgamer.com (yeah, I know, I am sorry).

I hope R* never goes there, because otherwise I’d completely understood if they never, ever made a PC game again just out of spite. It’s embarrassing, and there are SO MANY OF THEM.

• Steravel says:

Fuck’em. Seriously, who cares.

I stopped caring about the game one way or the other as soon as I saw no PC version announced, but I don’t blame people for being upset. PC audience has treated GTA5 really, really well with hard, quantifiable sales and mod enthusiasm, as opposed to theoretical piracy. It’s a 3 year old game that has virtually never been out of the Steam top 10 in sales.

I wouldn’t blame anyone for writing Rockstar off entirely for this, and never *buying* another Rockstar game on any platform out of spite. I own a console as well, but I prefer certain game experiences on the PC. I’m frankly tired of their sloppy seconds. The best developers in the world serve the PC platform, and I’ve no shortage of choice. If Rockstar doesn’t want to, thats fine. It only hurts them.

• sneetch says:

I’m pretty sure that no one responsible for these decisions will be swayed by a tiny number of shouting morons on forums. We all know what the Internet is like I’m sure they do too.

23. משוגע־סאָפֿע says:

Good riddance, mr Houser.
    Any spaghetti left for plunder?

24. DragonDai says:

“Surely it will come here”

hahahahahahahahaha

25. JFS says:

Red Dead Rather not get your hopes up.

26. Mandrake42 says:

It’s entirely possible we will never get a PC version. For no reason that was ever explained we never got the original, despite how massively popular it was. In fact, it’s pretty much the only Rockstar game that never made it’s way to PC. Goodness, we even got the far less successful Bully (Which was good by the way). For some reason though, they obstinately refused to do a PC RDR.

Comment on this story