Stardock Announce Star Control: Origins For 2017

Stardock today announced Star Control: Origins [official site], a prequel to the classic sci-fi RPG-o-adventure-a-action-ish games. It’ll put players in charge of Earth’s first starship, seeing what’s out there in The Big Black. Strange and wonderful things, is what. Do see Cobbo’s love for Star Control II before reading on. Okay, let’s continue.

We’ve known for years that Stardock were working on this, since they up the rights in Atari’s fire sale, but now Star Control: Origins has a name and a wee gameplay trailer. Point your space telescopes in this direction:

Great, thanks spaceman – you’ve screwed it for all of us.

Here’s how Stardock sum up the game:

“Star Control: Origins is a sci-fi action/adventure game with many RPG elements set in the future where the player is the captain of Earth’s first interstellar starship that explores a procedurally created galaxy, makes contact with various alien races, explores unique worlds, and engages in action packed battles, all while trying to unravel the complex intrigue that has the galaxy on the brink of chaos.”

Look for Star Control: Origins in 2017. Stardock plan to offer beta access to folks who pre-order through a “Founder’s program”.

From this site

1. TillEulenspiegel says:

Ugh, I’d forgotten that it was Stardock who bought the rights. Hard pass.

The Spathi were cute and everything, but I’d much rather have a Star Control 2-ish game with an original IP made by anyone else. It was a great game idea that hasn’t really been done again, and there’s no reason why not.

• Detocroix says:

Don’t worry. They only own “Star Control” (those two words), nothing related to the actual content of the game, e.g. Spathi, Ur-Quan, Ilwrathi, etc all belong to the original creators.

• Black Isis says:

Really? Ooof. I can’t imagine a Star Control game (especially a prequel!) without the pantheon of races from the first two games. How does that even work? It seems like it would be hard to explain where they all went…

2. mtomto says:

If that “gameplay” trailer was supposed to hype me for this game, it kinda did the opposite. It’s pretty and cartoony – and that’s not a problem for me… but that planet was the size of a tennisball the way he skipped around that “planet” for a floating ressource… come on………. Seems a bit iOS’y…

No thank you…

FhnuZoag says:

Was Star Control 2 procedurally generated?

Kinda seems like an overcrowded field these days. I would have much preferred a designed galaxy.

• Vedharta says:

I think most planet surfaces where generated but the rest was all predesigned.

• mouton says:

No, the galaxy was premade. But it wasn’t exactly detailed either, two dozen locations on a star map or so. But it was primarily story driven anyway.

• Shaun Green says:

I’m a little puzzled by this assertion. SC2 had around 500 star systems which could be visited, most containing between 1 and 12 planets, all of which could be landed on and explored (barring gas giants).

If you’re arguing that there were only two dozen locations with unique conversations/artefacts/events then you’re still wrong, but that’d be a little closer to the truth.

(If anyone doubts me, feel free to look at this interactive starmap.)

You are correct that the galaxy in SC2 was authored. The planets were too, although they generated the visuals for the surface topography.

• mouton says:

I meant meaningful places, were something happens. Most planets were filler, just like the planets in Mass Effect 2/3 where you just send probes and get resources. You could land on many planets, sure, but they weren’t interesting at all

4. Vedharta says:

So, no Wit, no Charm, no Wonder. Atleast not going from the trailer…..

I’m not sure which part of the nostalgia for a great old game they are trying to invoke here.

• Darth Gangrel says:

It seems to be a common thing that trailers have the opposite effect of what’s intended for people who read gaming sites. A lot of people on the RPS Civ 6 trailer article say that the trailer is underwhelming, but they’re still buying the game because they have more to go on than the trailer. I wonder how many purchases companies lose from less informed people who only see the trailer and get discouraged by it.

teije says:

The trailer has left me with a “meh” feeling. The miniature cartoon planet looks like one of the asteroids from the Little Prince.

6. Frankenchokey says:

Maybe the game will turn out to be a pleasant surprise, but I can’t help but be a bit skeptical about any Star Control game that doesn’t involve Toys for Bob.

7. geldonyetich says:

Speaking as somebody who beat Star Control 2 twice, and consider it one of the all-time best games, I find myself hyped.

The trailer looked like a lovely reinterpretation of the Star Control 2 central gameplay. Not sure what’s with the pessimism in the other comments here. Maybe it helped I watched it with the volume off?

I am left with two burning questions:
    1. How did they get the Star Control rights?
    (Oh, so they bought it from Atari.)

2. Will this turn out as good as GalCiv, or as bas as Elemental? With Stardock, you never know.

I honestly was hoping Toys For Bob would stop rolling in Skylander money and come back to Star Control, but I suppose dreams don’t always come true.

• PancakeWizard says:

“Not sure what’s with the pessimism in the other comments here.”

Take them with a huge helping of salt. There’s a few deranged people that comment here that have a problem Stardock’s CEO and take every opportunity to make that known on articles related to Stardock games.

• Detocroix says:

Don’t forget this: Stardock owns these two words “Star Control”, rights to sell Star Controls 1-3, and rights to content of Star Control 3. They do not own rights to any of the creations of Paul Reiche III and Fred Ford. They literally bought an IP that was hugely about the characters and the world, and they didn’t get the characters nor the world.

I personally have nothing against Stardock, but that deal they got from buying the IP was hilariously dreadful!

• Nick says:

or regular people who liked, say, Gal Civ/2, got burned by Elemental and realised that, after the next few games, the studio is pretty shit at making games with any sense of soul or character, may have just struck it lucky a few times and generally will just release boring shit?

• Zenicetus says:

That’s my take on the company too, although “shit” is a little strong for GalCiv3. Disappointingly bland and repetitive, maybe, from the perspective of a GalCiv2 fan like me. Elemental sure looked like shit though.

Stardock needs to produce one really good, fun game again so they’re not just coasting on GalCiv2’s rep. Not sure this is the right platform for it, but I’ll keep an eye on how it turns out.

Lars Westergren says:

Deranged is a pretty strong word. He has been saying some pretty nasty things on Twitter, is it strange that some people don’t like that?

• RedViv says:

It’s our Horace-given right to be excellently snarky towards those who are, to put it mildly, not at all excellent and even supportive of those who are far, far worse.

• Detocroix says:

I think the biggest issue is that people love Star Control for the races, how the races interact, how the stories go, how awesome the Hierarcy and Alliance of Free Stars thing was.

…and that nothing of that is going to be in this game. Nothing from Star Control 1 and 2. All they own is name of the game, and whatever Star Control 3 had.

It can be a great game, but it can’t be the Star Control many grew up with

• geldonyetich says:

Having played and beaten Star Control 3 as well, it had nearly all the races and organizations from Star Control 2, so I wonder just where “Everything Star Control 3” had ends and “Anything I like about Star Control” might actually be excluded.

8. jamhov says:

Color me skeptical. I’m really not sure how well Stardock’s foray into the rpg/adventure realm is going to go. I’ve found the storyline/writing in their strategy games to be pretty mediocre, and this game is going to sink or swim based on how well they can actual create an engaging atmosphere.

keefybabe says:

Never played the originals. I might check my steam/gog backlog and see if they’re in there. Should I start at 1 or jump to 2?

• BobbyDylan says:

Play 2. In fact, there’s a free HD mod for SC2, called Ur-Quan masters HD. Google it and play that.

• jangove says:

This.

The truth is, SC1 is mostly interesting as a historical artifact; it is much more of an arcade game and has no real story to speak of. It lacks almost all of what has made SC2 so beloved, and nothing it does well SC2 doesn’t do better.

• Detocroix says:

Well, SC1 has Androsynths and Mmrnmhrms (nobody cares about Chenjesu) and zero Slylan-bros.

But otherwise SC2 is superior!

10. mitthrawnuruodo says:

I wish it was not Stardock. Their games are too generic and utterly without character.

11. Neutrino says:

Is this a mobile phone game or something? Bloody looks like it.

12. Shaun Green says:

I’m pleasantly surprised by the art style (and the scale abstraction). It’s a thoughtful updating of the original’s approach, and there’s a clean, cartoonish charm to what little is shown. Star Control was never a realistic game and I think what’s on display in this trailer gives me some confidence that the team developing this understand what came before.

Of course I can’t read too much into this as it’s a 90 second long teaser trailer.

There is the obvious issue of rights held. I’ve no idea what Stardock have planned but I’d guess that their plan is to retain the loose concept of Star Control’s story and setting but reboot it with an all-new cast to fill out the Alliance of Free Stars and the Hierarchy. If my gut feel is correct then it’s a shame to not revisit SC2’s colourful cast, but it’s better to establish something new and imprint your own identity on it than try to recapture the creative spark of a comedic space opera pastiche written by two men struggling to finish a labour of love in 1992.

Can’t say I’d be sorry to be rid of the Syreen, either.

P.S. I too am looking forward to the fabled return of Toys for Bob to the Star Control universe. Soon, I’m sure, they will have sufficient Skylander money hats.

13. Peldon says:

What a great time to be a fan of spaaaace.
    But atm I’m more interested in The Long Journey Home than another stardock disappointment. But with my expectations quite Low, maybe I’ll enjoy it?
    Oh well. I’ll end up playing it anyway I guess. :)

Comment on this story