Smash+Grab Steam Refunds Regardless Of Playtime

Smash+Grab

While the rumoured shutdown of United Front Games is yet to be officially confirmed, the company has now announced that anyone who bought their early access game, Smash+Grab [official site], on Steam can request a refund, regardless of how many hours they’ve actually played.

The multiplayer looting brawler was pulled from sale as talk of the company’s sudden demise started to swirl but now, after confirming there will be no further development or support – it’s a dead/soon-to-be-dead game – anyone and everyone can ask for their money back.

Alice and I were having a decent time, learning the ropes of futuristic criminal activity as we roamed the streets and smashed our way into stores. I wonder how the free weekend and the early access process factored into these developments – whether the shuttering was dependent on something related to Smash+Grab succeeding or failing or whether it was a curveball no-one expected.

Steam usually only refunds a game if you’ve played it for less than two hours, but United Front are waiving that restriction. As per the game’s Steam news announcement:

A huge thank you to everyone who played and bought Smash + Grab over the last several weeks. We hope everyone had a great time playing.

As we will not be doing any further development or support, we have asked Valve to make refunds available to any owners who request them, regardless of how many hours played.

If you would like a refund, please use the usual Steam refund tools.

Thanks to everyone for the support!

My approach to early access is to only pay out if I’d be okay with development never going any further but this has made me ponder that approach a bit when it comes to multiplayer games. A singleplayer experience that you can continue to play offline regardless of whether the devs exist to maintain a server is one thing, multiplayer is a different kettle of bees.

But, at least in this scenario it’s a kettle of bees the players who picked up an early access copy won’t be forced to shake (this metaphor is getting away from me). To apply for a refund just go through the usual Steam refunds process.

From this site

1. gbrading says:

They’ve taken the right approach regarding the refunds, but this is a really sad way for United Front Games to end, literally a month after they launched their latest game. Looks like we’ll never get to see a Sleeping Dogs 2 now. :(

2. wyrm4701 says:

That’s the stand-up thing to do, kudos to UFG. It can’t be easy to make that call when the easier option is to call the game finished and keep selling it. It’s a shame to see a dev house with a sense of decency go under.

3. Baines says:

That is an issue with all multiplayer games, not just Early Access. The story wouldn’t have been any different if Smash+Grab had launched to full release on Steam, as you’d still have an online multiplayer only title shutting down three weeks after release.

Honestly, the Early Access part might have been the safety net here. I could see it being a little harder to push through the idea of a refund for a full release game. Not that I’d trust in advance any studio to willingly give a refund for such a situation, whether Early Access or full release.

4. Moonracer says:

This is making me nostalgic for All Points Bulletin. I’m glad people are getting a refund option.

• cofeeboy says:

Are you referring to APB prior to Reloaded? Last time I logged into APB Reloaded, which was about 3 months back, there were a little over two dozen players online. It was fun. You should maybe swing by.

5. Darloth says:

That’s sad because it seemed to be quite interesting with several new ideas.

6. Hobbes says:

This is sad, largely because Smash and Grab showed real promise, but at least they are doing right by their customer base, and that more or less entirely confirms what I’d heard on the grapevine a couple of days ago when the game went purchase disabled. Bleugh.

7. kickme22 says:

Unfortunately I played Smash and Grab at PAX…and it wasn’t good. It felt like a free to play game from an indie studio. No meat to the game, no tactics, nothing. It’s sad how far the studio fell from Sleeping Dogs to this piece of crap

Comment on this story