Battlerite Gets Two Champs In Friday’s Halloween Update

Battlerite [official site] has got Hallowe’en all wrong. To celebrate The Big Spooky, the top-down team brawler is preparing to add two new characters tomorrow. That’s not how Hallowe’en goes. You’re supposed to menace players, Stunlock Studios. Force them to give you two new characters under threat of a good egging/spooking/kicking. Sure, I’ve heard that Battlerite – the spiritual successor to Bloodline Champions – is a lovely game, even in early access, but this seems wrong. We can only hope that Jumong, ‘The Beast Hunter’, and Ruh Kaan, ‘The Crypt Warden’, are cursed. Maybe everyone who plays them will melt into snakes and insects.

Here’s Ruh Kaan, who certainly looks a Hallowe’eny:

And here’s Jumong:

Hey kids, why not make yourself a Jumong costume for Hallowe’en? Cut up that fakefur sofa throw from the lounge to be his bear cape, smash some eggs around the rim for teeth, then make a bow out of a coat hanger.

The Halloween update, patch 0.8, will also bring a new map, special Hallowe’en items, and an unranked matchmaking option.

Battlerite is on Steam Early Access for £14.99/19,99€/$19.99, made by Bloodlines Champs devs Stunlock Studios. I’ve not played it myself yetbut amateur Graham Smith lookalike Matt Cox was well into it. “If you’ve ever enjoyed a teamfight in a MOBA, I can guarantee you’ll get a kick out of Battlerite,” says he.

From this site

1. cyrenic says:

Got this a few weeks ago and I’m loving it. 20 hours in and no signs of slowing down.

The moment to moment fighting is very MOBAy but the pacing of the actual matches are more akin to a fighting game. Coming back when you’re down by two rounds feels amazing.

2. Bellegar says:

The new map looks amazing.

3. Bremze says:

Harbinger and Seeker were very popular, nice to see them in the game. I want my Blood Priest though.

• immaletufinishbut says:

Well considering both of the previous iterations of these champions were widly considered to be unbalanced in BLC…

To be fair the devs have actually tried to rebalance problematic champions from the first game (ex. Psychopomp, still OP but not as insane as before). :)

4. immaletufinishbut says:

Having played loads of BLC back when that was a thing, could somebody please tell me why this is getting so much attention? Is it a Twitch thing?

Personally I feel that it’s inferior to BLC in every way, except possibly menu design? IDK.

I mean it’s still kind of fun for a few minutes – but whats with sequels and successors consistently being mechanically worse/easier/shallower than the original?

Pisses me the fuck off.

• Nackertash says:

As someone who has 6000 hours on dota, i found blc to be completely impenetrable, and i am very much enjoying battlerite.
      Sorry your favorite game got casual’d tho :(

• Bremze says:

You mistake rewarding a slightly different skillset for being easier or dumbed down. BR is definitely easier for beginners to get into, but meter management, positioning and executes are all significantly more complex than in BLC.

Hell, you could argue that BR is less casual because healing output is way more limited so the shit you do matters more.

5. Inex says:

Battlerite? More like Battlewrong. Halloween is not the only thing wrong with this game.

Comment on this story