Pointybangs: Doom Free Update Adds Arcade Mode

You may have saved us all from demonic destruction in D44m [official site] but for what? To save your own skin? Maybe even as a good deed? Because chainsawing hellspawn is a lark? Pssh. No mate, we need real motivation: points.

Thankfully D44m now recognises the primacy of points, having last night boshed in Arcade Mode with the free Update 4. It pumps players full of weapons and upgrades then sends them to smash through the campaign scoring mega-points for mega-kills. Points, sadly, do not mean prizes, or at least not real ones – a dart board, a four-slot toaster, cuddly toy (wahey!), or jet ski – just bragging rights on the leaderboards.

Arcade Mode sends players into streamlined chunks of the campaign ready for supermurder, with all guns, runes, and equipment upgrades fully unlocked. Good play scores points, helped by building score multipliers. Y’know, it’s a leaderboarboard ’em up, you get how those work. Have a peek in this trailer celebrating the launch:

Update 4 also gave the SnapMap editor a load of pieces from D44m’s reactions of vintage Doom. Expect more new old Doom maps in new Doom. id Software have themselves recreated a few vintage Doom levels and uploaded ’em.

Oh, and two new multiplayer modes in: the free-for-all Bloodrush and a Prowler vs. Marine team mode.

Check Update 4’s patch notes for more on everything it added and changed.

That trailer gives a wee peek at the next multiplayer DLC too. ‘Hell Followed’ will be coming October 27th with some hungry hungry Cacodemons.

From this site

1. Kefren says:

And yet all I’d want from Doom 4 is the same as I wanted (and got) with Dooms 1 and 2: a good single-player campaign and no Denuvo DRM.

keefybabe says:

One out of two isn’t bad

• Jalan says:

I would’ve been happy without the DRM and the multiplayer, even patiently waiting on a piece of story DLC between the inevitable Doom 5/Doom (whatever they’re going to call the sequel to this one) release.

• Geezer says:

Quick question: Why do so many people hate Denuvo/DRM? Does it mess up gameplay or hinder hardware performance? Just asking, because all of my games seem to work fine. Maybe I’m missing something…..

Marclev says:

I’ve wondered that too. All I can figure is, because it makes the game harder to crack and therefore makes it more cumbersome for people to run illegal copies of it.

Either that or people that paid for a copy object to other not being able to be freeloaders, but that seems unlikely.

• Kefren says:

I’ve had bad experiences with DRM in the past – from not being able to play games, to having to send a projector back. Often DRM creates backdoors and insecurities in your system. You may not notice these. I also like to be able to back up my games in case the company goes bankrupt or disappears or just stops supporting the game. Finally, I turn off the router when we lock up at night. Sometimes I still play games or use my PC. Things which require periodic online connections then stop working. There are other reasons. None are anything to do with piracy.

• pepperfez says:

In the case of Denuvo, it also prevents a game from being run on Linux. In general, DRM provides absolutely no benefit to consumers, so when it brings a cost to them it should be condemned.

• Mr. Robot says:

It does provide one benefit: reducing piracy helps keep high-budget games financially viable at $60. It also keeps publishers amenable to the PC as a platform, as opposed to the harder to pirate consoles.

(Queue people saying – “piracy doesn’t reduce sales!” with whatever justification they can come up with. And well, they’re wrong – if you cut off peoples’ free access to something that they really want, many of them will pay).

• pepperfez says:

Those aren’t things it does for me. Those are things it does for publishers that might make the PC a more profitable market for them. I’m not a shareholder in any games companies; I don’t see any of that increased profit. Games were made profitably before Denuvo, and before Steamworks, so making DRM more restrictive certainly isn’t a necessity for the industry to survive.

• Kefren says:

On the other hand – I don’t buy games that have more DRM than Steam; yet I often buy DRM-free games just to support the publisher (you should see my GOG list). So adding it also costs sales, and costs them extra money in ongoing licences and support. It’s not automatically true that digital padlocks = more profit.

• Mr. Robot says:

Keeping the cost of the game down is something it does for you.

• Kefren says:

Well, more sales would also keep the price down.

I also am not sure they _are_ keeping the price down at present: £40 is a lot, and beyond what I would pay. I’ll only pay over £20 for a game if it is a dev I like, and the game is DRM free (e.g. SOMA, Witcher 3). Above that price it is generally irrelevant anyway, since I won’t be paying AAA prices when I have over a year’s worth of backlog to play first.

• immaletufinishbut says:

Then submit proof that piracy hurts sales.

Edit(1): I don’t condone piracy, but I also don’t condone shitty arguments.
            Edit(2): Gawdamn I’ve missed you, sweet edits!

• meisterlr says:

@immaletufinishbut
            re: “Then submit proof that piracy hurts sales.”

another typical, disingenuous attempt to exploit the fact that no likely control/test can be created to accurately provide data either way. Try this: Res Ipsa Loquitur. You’re trying so hard to pretend that you don’t have any concept of what reasonable proof would be under these circumstances- be advised that your efforts constitute transparent red herring bullshit to anyone with any concept of deduction.

• scab says:

Its decryption affects performance on the CPU side, in my experience.

• freecats says:

That is the problem I have as well. With Denuvo I have massive CPU performance problems. Not everyone reports this but it has been reported enough to know that I am not the only one.

I understand that it is nice for companies to protect their product but when it hurts a percentage of the end userbase more than someone who was able to crack it out of the software it is not worth it.

If you make a quality product, as seen with the Witcher series, or make it easier to get the game than to pirate it the number of paying users will outweigh the loss due to piracy.

• Baines says:

Early on, Denuvo had a bunch of wild claims levied against it by disgruntled users, which spread like wildfire on the internet. The claims were debunked repeatedly, by various people using different methods, but others still revive those claims whenever they hear “Denuvo.”(*)

People don’t like that publishers prefer to keep quiet about their games including Denuvo. This information is even left out of official DRM listings.

The company behind Denuvo have done their own annoying word play, arguing that Denuvo isn’t DRM at all, but rather is “Anti-Tamper technology.” They go on to distance “Anti-Tamper” from DRM as much as possible, at best silently dumping all the complaints people have onto the DRM that Denuvo is designed to protect (but which isn’t Denuvo itself) or at worst just being deceptive.

It doesn’t help matters that some games do have DRM issues and happen to have Denuvo. For example, the PC versions of God Eater 1 and 2 are playable offline, after an online handshake is performed once. But allegedly the publisher cheaped out on using a single Denuvo license for two separate games, and attempting to play the *other* game will force another handshake check. So while you could theoretically play either game offline after playing them online, you can’t switch back and forth between the two games without going online again.

(*) The main claim against Denuvo was that due to heavy encryption, it did an insane amount of disk reads and writes throughout play, to the point that it was damaging and even killing SSDs. You had people swearing that their SSDs were killed due to Denuvo after playing Dragon Age for 40 hours, or that their friend’s SSD was killed.

The claims were rather quickly questioned. It was pointed out that hardware sometimes fails even if it is in warranty, and it was coincidence that a handful of people who had such failures also happened to have spent time playing a game that was extremely popular. (One “counter” to this argument was simply an unshakeable belief that, outside of the claimed destructive use, it was physically impossible for an SSD to fail while under warranty.)

Others decided to track usage, since Windows is rather happy to show you just how much your drives are being read and written to. People posted screenshots and logs showing that the numbers were benign, normal usage. The alleged massive number of reads and writes were not happening.

Others used logic, pointing out that the alleged number of reads and writes (enough to damage an SSD) would have rendered the game unplayable on regular hard drives, but people were able to play the game as expected on regular hard drives.

Some time later, unrelated endurance testing of SSDs started showing up, with numbers that showed that even if the alleged read/write claims were real, it *still* wouldn’t have been enough to kill SSDs in the time periods that were initially claimed.

• SingularityParadigm says:

Baines, replies like yours are why I consistently read internet comment sections despite their often terrible signal-to-noise ratio. Thank you for being informative! :)

• immaletufinishbut says:

RPS is better than most!

At least it used to be… Unsure if I’m just getting too old. ^^

2. dystome says:

Woo, looks like fun.

No interest in the multiplayer bits which is why I haven’t bought the DLC but I would happily pay for another official campaign or two.

3. Blowfeld81 says:

Doom keeps giving and giving like it is Satan Clause!

4. Isendur says:

“Free” Update? Stop giving them ideas RPS!

• gabrielonuris says:

Thanks!

I’ve came here to ask why are we calling updates as “free” updates now. I mean, is there any developer/publisher who is already selling updates? If not, we’re about to see that happening if the press doesn’t stop calling updates “free” updates.

5. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

I have to say, I’m impressed by the amount of support they’re giving to this game. I’m not planning on touching much of the new multiplayer content (I just play the occasional round of TDM and DM for 15 minutes at a time, it’s kinda relaxing) but I have some hope for the snapmaps: they added both custom campaign support and community curation, which is basically a tag system that should make finding decent maps a bit easier. The new old classic revamped GOTY edition maps made by id in the pseudo-old engine last about 15 minutes combined. They’re pretty fun, but I wouldn’t reinstall the whole game just to play them.

EDIT: I wish they’d put forward a single player DLC, though.

AutonomyLost says:

Ah, I was wondering what the fuck that 11.6 gigabyte download was for DOOM yesterday. It was extra-kind of them to not indulge the player-base with any information whatsoever regarding an update, especially one with such immense heft as far as data goes. I can always count on RPS for such valuable information though! Thanks, Alice.

7. fabronaut says:

It is by far the largest game I have installed on my system… I thought the 60+ GB it took up was already pretty absurd, but a 12 GB patch (!!!) for a score update and some bits to go with the map building parts? Bloody thing is almost taking up a tenth of my hard drive!

I kinda wish they’d split the main install for the game, much like the only Call of Duty game I have (Modern Warfare 2) that I picked up for cheap years ago. I don’t give a toss about the multiplayer, as it’s too generic to interest me. I got the game for the singleplayer mode, and I suspect some of the filesize can be pared down if I could just drop the multiplayer components altogether.

Comment on this story