Have You Played… Battlefield: Bad Company 2?

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 threw out a little of the scale of the main Battlefield series, making smaller maps that didn’t contain the planes that offered some of the most fun experiences in Battlefield 2. But what it gained was better level design which more consistently delivered great, tense firefights.

That was because of Rush mode. Originally introduced in the first Bad Company, Rush splits the teams into Attackers and Defenders. The attackers, who have a limited number of respawns, are trying to destroy a consecutive series of locations on the map while the defenders, who have unlimited respawns, are attempting to prevent them till a timer runs out.

By dividing the purpose of the teams up like this, and by setting the action on tighter, more linear maps, Bad Company 2 funnels everyone towards chokepoints and specific dramatic moments. It leads to desperate pushes, tense standoffs, and last-second destructions or bomb defusals, all of which are more exciting than Battlefield’s standard Conquest mode, in which point captures can be achieved and undone and re-done several times over the course of a match with little significance.

The smaller maps also allowed Bad Company to introduce greater destruction to its levels. It’s not Rainbow Six Siege, but tanks make more sense in a world where every wall can be destroyed, and there’s still a great thrill in parachuting from the roof of a building as you hear the creak signalling its imminent collapse.

Bad Company also, of course, had a singleplayer mode, unlike the main Battlefield series at that time. Despite spending hundreds of hours with the game, I’ve never played it. All my time was spent inching my way along the coast of Valparaiso, and it’s still my favourite Battlefield map – better than Wake Island, or Gulf of Oman – today.

From this site

1. Sin Vega says:

I’m the opposite, having only done the single player. I found the first Bad Company kind of a slog after the opening couple of hours and gave up on it, and would have done sooner but for its really funny script and acting. So I was surprised when the second one delivered a much better single player campaign, still the funny, lighthearted alternative to the usual tiresome military cheerleading of similar shooters, but with much more satisfying shootybang feels, and more engaging levels.

2. Gwyddelig says:

BFBC2 is a game I had (and have!) a lot of love for. Even now, six-odd years later, it still looks gorgeous. The gameplay was incredibly tight for the time too, there were substantially less of the incredibly frustrating weapon imbalances of later BF iterations and the maps were interesting, well balanced and diverse. Many BFers still have fond memories of Arica Harbour, Heavy Metal and Atacama Desert from the main game and Operation Hastings in the Vietnam expansion. Every now and again, I eschew the 64P madness and vehicle dominance of the mainline BF experience for a bit of bush wookie run around in BFBC2.

BTW, it’s a real pity you missed out on the SP campaign. It was witty and fun; by far the best SP of any BF game (not a high bar to be fair…)

3. Setroc says:

Am I mad for thinking that BC2 is the best battlefield to date?

4. wsjudd says:

Bad Company 2 remains my favourite Battlefield, even after many happy memories over the years playing 1942 at my first LAN, Battlefield 2 and 2142 as the first shooters I played online, and the insane graphics of Battlefield 3. Bad Company 2 felt more focused though, and it has my favourite separation of abilities between classes of any BF game. And Valparaiso comes to mind instantly; there were so many tense moments struggling to set off those MCOM stations under a hail of bullets, massive explosions of C4 and tank shells… ah! What a game.

5. Blowfeld81 says:

BC2 is a FPS classic.

Even though I enjoy BF1, it is not the same thing as BC2. I wonder how much nostalgia influenced I am :D

6. MrFinnishDude says:

Only reason why I would pick this up is because of the musical reference.

7. Inu says:

Probably my most Battlefielded FPS game. BF3 may have been gorgeous but something about BFBC2 was just so amaze.

8. CaptainHairy says:

I have never enjoyed sniping in any FPS, I find it very tedious indeed. The best thing about BC2, and why it’s my reference point for online shooters to this day is that while sniping was still strong, the maps and weapon balance allowed my preferred playstyle: SAIGA SHOTGUN. COMBAT KNIFE. INSTILL TERROR.

9. PointyShinyBurning says:

Fond memories of putting C4 charges on the front of the quad bike and using myself as an anti-tank missile.

10. Player1 says:

I have played many Battlefields (no, not you, BF4 and Hardline), and Bad Company 2 is the one I enjoy(ed) playing the most online. In fact, there are still quite a few good servers up on Steam. You should check them out if you still have the game.

particlese says:

I played BC2’s entire single-player campaign and a few hours of Rush multiplayer with a friend, and I don’t look back on either with fondness. The sound was great, the story seemed like it was pretty cool, the destructo-buildings were neat-ish, and your buddies were entertaining enough, but…I’ve forgotten most of the story (stop the activation of an end-of-WWII Japanese doomsday thingy which makes a cool sound warming up?), Red Faction already did destructo-physics much better, and it was often a confusing mess in terms of the whole running around trying not to die…thing.

The only other Battlefield/CallOfDuty games I’ve tried were a few minutes of CoD3’s campaign and about an hour of MW2 multiplayer, and while the latter was actually kinda fun because my friends in the room didn’t expect me to be as good as I was (solidly mediocre), I think it’s fair to say these kinds of games aren’t exactly my thing anyway. :)

12. SlimShanks says:

I bought this game three times :) Worth very penny. I was quite fond of sneaking into the enemy base on rush, and rigging all the vehicles with c4. The number of times I pretended to be a bush in that game is unreal…

13. Zekiel says:

What *is* going on in that header image? I’ve seen it before and wondered. It looks like the guy is playing air guitar. My slightly-more-likely guess is that he’s being shot and a graphics glitch has removed the gun he’s supposed to be holding. Am I missing something?

14. El_MUERkO says:

BF:BC2 was and is the best Battlefield game.

15. Cyrus says:

Outstanding sound as I recall.

16. ctkag says:

The last Battlefield game I played. I really am only interested in single-player experience. I have had too many negative experiences on multiplayer environments by people who think they know how the game should be played. Disable all chat, microphones, etc, and maybe I would be interested again.

17. PiiSmith says:

I have good memories of Bad Company 2. The multiplayer was very enjoyable for me at that time.

18. GameOverMan says:

I have played around… 1600 hours of it. ‘Nuff said.

19. Ritz says:

This was most the most memorable battlefield for me following 1942. The tighter, more focused maps left enough room to explore but were tight enough to encourage large shootouts between many players. The weapons physics were great, the netcode was accurate. I never played the mainline battlefields for very long(2,3,4) but bad company was a staple in my every day life for a very very long time. I would love another battlefield with the same love and care to map design that Bad Company 2 received as well as the same insane level of destruction that gave you legit tactical options.

20. cofeeboy says:

So when I owned a console I had purchased BC2 for the 360 and upon hitting matchmaking I found 0 matches. Tried again at different times throughout the day and the same results, barren wasteland. Returned the game the following day only to have realized years later that my router NAT setting may have been set to ‘Strict’ :(

From what I played of the single player the characters are the component I remember the most of the series. They had memorable personalities and I think it speaks volumes of the game itself and why it’s so loved both in the Battlefield community and out.

Comment on this story