When Does Sid Meier’s Civilization 6 Unlock?

Sid Meier’s Civilization 6 is almost upon us, and reviews are going up across the internet. Ours will be along later – you can read Adam’s impressions based on a week with the game in the meantime – but you might also want to know when it’s going to unlock in your timezone. When can you finally lay your hands upon the sexy hexes once more? Find out below.

Firaxis split the release into three zones. Here are the times:

• Zone 1 is Oceania and South East Asia: 3am Australian Daylight Time.
  • Zone 2 is Europe, Africa, Russia, Greenland and the Middle East: 12am British Summer Time
  • Zone 3 is Canada, USA, and South America: 12am Eastern Time

Firaxis have the details themselves along with this handsome map:

As well as links to some countdown clocks, so you can see exactly how long there is to go until the game unlocks in Europe and what time that will be in eg. Germany.

While you wait for our review, you can also read Adam’s Civilization 6 diary, which examines the game in more detail while attempting to conquer/survive as Japan.

From this site

1. Sp4rkR4t says:

Unlocked by pretending to be an Aussie but then windows 10 decided to restart and steam locked it again. :(

Was bloody good though. Can’t automate builders though and they are consumed after three tile changes, plus side tile changes are instant.

2. rodan32 says:

It’s sad to see those countries in the “black” zone. I wonder what Macedonia’s deal is?

3. OhReally says:

What the he– does 12am mean? Is it a minute after 23:59, a minute before 00:01, or noon?

• cairbre says:

Midnight

• C0llic says:

Why people use the 12 hour clock is beyond me.

• Xerophyte says:

I’ve lived in the US for about half a year now and it still confuses the hell out of me. I’ve gotten used to AM and PM as concept, but whenever someone tells me to expect a delivery “8-12 PM” my immediate reaction is to be perplexed at expecting me to be available in the middle of the night.

I could understand calling the middle of the day 12 AM, as following 11 AM. I could understand calling it 0 PM, as preceding 1 PM. Calling it 12 PM is insanity and must stop.

• geerad says:

Calling noon 12 AM would be insane. Consider: AM stands for “ante meridian”, i.e., before noon; PM stands for “post meridian” or after noon. I’ll grant you, calling the exact moment of noon “before noon” is just as insane as calling it “after noon”. But 12:01 is clearly AFTER noon, so logically, it is PM. So if you have to pick one of the two labels for noon itself, you pick the one that matches the rest of the hour.

Would 0 PM be better? Yes, probably, but the system goes back thousands of years.

• Hunchentoot says:

There is no such thing as 12AM or 12 PM, it’s 12 Midday or 12 Midnight.

4. geldonyetich says:

I don’t buy a lot of full-priced AAA games these days, but Civilization is certainly one juicy package.

Away with you, foul hexagonal temptress! You’ll not be enticing me into staying up all night with an unbreakable cycle of One More Turnitus! I’m strong! I will not relent! I… I think I will merely read a few reviews…

5. Xocrates says:

So, now that the game is out, I got to say I’m not super happy by how fragile you are early game.

I’ve restarted three or four games so far due to a shitty start, and in one case met another civ, got zerged by them, and lost my capital in the first 40 turns – and that was on one of the easiest difficulties while everyone (but me) was still on one city.

I suspect that the learning curve is going to be a bit steeper than I expected.

6. satan says:

Still enjoying 5 a lot, will easily be able to wait for the GOTY edition of 6.

7. Asokn says:

I’ve just read the PC Gamer review and, although it’s very positive, it made the game sound more like SimCity than Civilization. I’m pretty wary of the series now although 4 is one of my favourite games of all time, it seems that the games have moved away from the things I found interesting and have embraced a different approach.

• Jalan says:

I had fun with Civilization V but I find myself putting more hours into III than anything else when it comes to the series. I don’t know what it is, once I start a game, I just look out a window and realize hours have flown by.

• Halk says:

I agree, III is the way to go. Civ is the kind of game for which 3D graphics just make no sense whatsoever.

If it had a 2D engine I might take a look at Civ 6, but not like this.

Comment on this story