Star Trek: Bridge Crew Delayed To Stardate March 2017

Star Trek: Bridge Crew

Star Trek: Bridge Crew [official site] – Ubisoft’s virtual reality starship command adventure – has had its release date pushed back into 2017. March 14, 2017 to be precise. The game had been scheduled to come out before the end of the year but Ubi say they need to delay in order to “deliver the best game experience possible at launch”.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew is the VR game where you serve on board the U.S.S. Aegis exploring a mostly uncharted area of space called The Trench. You’re hoping to find a suitable new home world for the Vulcan people:

“The Trench contains stunning beauty and undiscovered wonders, but also strange anomalies and dangers yet unknown. The Klingon Empire is also active in the region, and their purpose is undoubtedly a threat to the Federation’s plans. It’s up to you and your crew to chart the sector to determine the Klingons’ aims, and to secure a peaceful Federation presence.”

I remember being really excited about Star Trek: Bridge Crew when it was announced. It was partly because Levar Burton was on my screen being excited and partly because I’m always excited about anything where you team up with people to captain a starship. It doesn’t seem to matter whether it’s something more role-playish like Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator or something shouty-round-a-table-at-the-pub like Space Team or even the weird fishing-in-a-bag-for-shapes-and-panicking of the board game Space Cadets, I will always put on something I think looks vaguely like a Starfleet uniform and make excited noises.

Anyhoodle, I’m generally fine with companies delaying things they don’t think are ready for release, but this has the added bonus of giving me about four extra months to find three other VR headsetted people and try to organise a playdate. Perhaps the fact that Christmas gifts arrive in the interim might help with that one.

I also have dibs on Engineering. YOU ALL HEARD ME. I CALL DIBS.

From this site

1. DeltaVictor says:

Looks like you get about 5 buttons to push. How can this be interesting?

• Ghostwise says:

And I bet it doesn’t even have a scene where a cute but irritating little dog covers his eyes with his paws to mime embarrassment.

This game sucks !

• Humanji says:

Because only games with more that 5 buttons are interesting?

• Ghostwise says:

I started, y’know, like, thinking about it. And then I realised that, y’know, Pac Man has *no* button on the Atari 2600 and I was, like, “whoah, dude”. Mind, like, blown.

• Alien426 says:

If you control Mario or Gordon and press several buttons a second, it is interesting.

If you “raise shields” or “set course for the Neutral Zone, warp 6” or “on screen” once per episode, it is not very interesting.

(I exaggerate a little.)

• Someoldguy says:

It does feel like the sort of thing you’d pay to do once or twice at an event centre or con. Not convinced it’s going to have enough content to be a full game and if you need a reasonable number of bridge crew participating to make it fun you get the issue of everyone having to play at the same pace or some already knowing the content, potentially spoiling it for the rest.

• Someoldguy says:

Only 5 buttons to push and it requires us to have 4 Trekkie friends to geek out with. Tricky one!

• Zanchito says:

Well, there’s already a bridge simulator that seems to have some loyal fans. I don’t know how it compares to this, but there’s a demographic for sure.

Harlander says:

As a side note to the discussion of this and Artemis, has anyone tried Quintet? It’s another entry in this slowly-becoming-a-genre, but it’s pretty mysterious to me.

• Alien426 says:

Nice find. I’ve applied the tag “Bridge Simulator” to this and the Steam page for Artemis. Maybe we can get something going.

3. BarryDennen12 says:

Delay suits me fine, the original release date was before/around the time when Oculus Touch is supposed to be shipping. Which would’ve been infuriating.

4. Ieolus says:

Ugh… it uses the stupid new movie reality. Sorry, won’t spend any money on perpetuating it.

Oh, and the graphics look like late 90s… I know VR is graphically intense, but come on.

Comment on this story