Total Warhammer’s New DLC, Both Free And Paid

Civilization VI romped out last night with its own alternate histories but for folks who know that history and the world were actually shaped by the Old Ones, Total War: Warhammer [official site] is still kicking. Last night brought the release of two new DLC bits, one free and one paid. Everyone will get to play with Wurrzag Da Great Green Prophet, while folks who slap down £6 can play as the Night Goblin warlord Skarsnik or the Dwarven king Belegar Ironhammer. I’d like to see Ghandi deal with a herd of Squigs.

Wurrzag is a new Legendary Lord playable in the campaign or multiplayer, bringing his own unique skills and quests along. The pack also brings three new units for the Warriors of Chaos roster: Feral Manticores, Marauder Horsemasters, and Aspiring Champions. This pack is free from Steam.

The new paid DLC is The King and the Warlord, adding Belegar Ironhammer, True King of The Eight Peaks and Skarsnik, Warlord of The Eight Peaks as new Legendary Lords. They’ve got their own quests, starting positions, campaign bonuses, items, and all that, and also bring new buildings and units. Yes, absolutely these include Squig Herds and Night Goblin Squig Hoppers.

The King and the Warlord is £5.99/7,49€/$7.99 on Steam.

Oh, and Grombrindal, The White Dwarf is coming on October 28th if you’re up for a spot of #brand #engagement. He’ll arrive free for everyone in 2017 but you can get a card with a key to redeem him by buying issue 3 of White Dwarf Magazine or by popping into a Games Workshop & Warhammer shop and asking for one (while stocks last etc). Don’t do it, obviously. Don’t go into Games Workshop. This is how they get you. They lure you in with a legendary dwarf and before you know it, you’ve bought a few little men and a couple pots of paint. Six months later, you’re found dead beneath a collapsed shelf which once contained a 300-strong army, whose teensy swords and spears left you bleeding from a thousand cuts.

From this site

1. crowleyhammer says:

“Civilization IV romped out last night with its own alternate histories”

Seems we are on an alternate timeline as well!

2. Da5e says:

Do come into Games Workshop. Do. We have all the paint you can eat.

3. Zanchito says:

Not 1$=1€? But I thought there were reasons for that common travesty in pricing. IMPORTANT REASONS.

4. SirRoderick says:

SQUIGGIES!!!!1! :D

5. Bullfrog says:

Still waiting for this to be finished so I can pick up the thing in one big lump.

Perhaps I’ll finish painting my backlog of models in the meantime (ha!).

• Thurgret says:

It’s a very good finished game as is.

• Bullfrog says:

I meant when they’d finished releasing races/units etc rather than the core of the game being unfinished, on that level I gather it’s pretty good (especially considering the state of some of their other games at release).

• SaintAn says:

They have 6 more years of development so you’re going to be waiting a long time to do that.

• Bullfrog says:

I’m not sure I quite believe that they’ll still be milking this into the 2020’s but so be it. There’s plenty of things from 10+ years ago that I’m only now getting around to playing, they aren’t going anywhere.

6. frightlever says:

White Dwarf is still going? I remember being fourteen and buying a Postal Order to send off to them so I could subscribe for a year. And waiting. Eventually the letter came back to me opened and resealed by the Post Office. I’d forgotten to put a stamp on it. Good times.

Is it all WH now? Used to be a general RPG mag.

• Bullfrog says:

I used to get it years ago (mid 90’s is my best guess) and it was a dedicated Games Workshop publication by then.

• thekelvingreen says:

White Dwarf stopped covering general rpgs at around the same time GW stopped importing and republishing them; I think the last Call of Cthulhu adventure was in #99 and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay content continued until about #140. From then on, it was all miniatures all the time.

GW cancelled the magazine a couple of years ago and replaced it with a weekly version, but that was in turn replaced by a new monthly version in September. It’s still very much a magazine about GW’s games but the company is at least starting to diversify into board games again and the magazine reflects that; they even mentioned WFRP in the most recent issue, although I’ll be very surprised if they ever publish content for it.

Captain Narol says:

What a cash cow this game has become, I’m fan of the Warhammer Fantasy universe but I made an effort of willpower to stay away from it as the DLC politics of CA is exactly what I feared it would be…

I’ll definitely stick with Mordheim instead until they release a Complete Edition at a reasonable price.

• exile2k4 says:

Obviously, go with what works for you, and it’s hard to argue with waiting because generally all games get cheaper and better if you wait. Personally, I’m really happy with the way they’ve done the DLC so far – all the content is added to everyone’s game for free, it’s only using it yourself that you pay for, so you really only need to buy the DLC you actually want to use. If you really want to play through every single faction in the game it’s a lot of content, and I’d argue you’d be getting your money’s worth.

The Warhammer IP is such a huge thing, I think you might be waiting for a very long time to get a ‘complete’ version, if they ever even release one. If you’re interested in the game, I’d say just wait for the base game to be on sale then pick up the DLC for the faction(s) you want.

• jonahcutter says:

They’re also still charging extra for blood effects.

• Longestsprout says:

They want to keep the ratings down by splitting the gory stuff from the main game. I don’t know the legal angle, so who knows if there’s an actual reason for the price tag or if they’re just being greedy.

• SaintAn says:

So far the DLC/expansions have been worth the price of each,have come out monthly so it’s not overwhelming, and each one makes the game feel deeper and changes things up to be more fun. It’s quality stuff. For example this expansion added a lot of new units and two new playable factions for just $8 and added another playable faction for free.

I’m a thrifty person, but I’ve been buying them as they come out.

8. lglethal says:

I really want to get into this game, but I have such a back catalogue to get through first. It’s almost a Blessing that it’s coming out so piecemeal, if it came out from the start with High Elves, Dark Elves, Skavens and Gobbos, I probably wouldnt have been able to resist!

I guess I’ll just wait for them to finish filling the world up and THEN I’ll buy it (and in the meantime hopefully reduce that back catalogue a little bit…)

Comment on this story