Small Radios Big Televisions Looks Pretty Bizarre

The trailer for Small Radios Big Televisions [official site] uses a voice filter that reminds me slightly of the Max Headroom hack that happened during a broadcast of Doctor Who. It also kind of annoys me that there’s no comma between “radios” and “big” in the title, but that’s another story. In any case, I think this might be a game for me. The wait won’t be long, as it’s now received a release date of November 8th.

This bizarre-looking game that supposedly goes deep within the world of things like cassette tapes with “fluorescent dreamscapes of abandoned factories” inside them. I’m not sure what that means, but it sounds like something straight out of an episode of Eerie, Indiana (or Goosebumps, if you prefer.) Haunted radios or something? Strange. And I want to fully explore these worlds, especially since I have zero reason to use a cassette player these days and couldn’t find one in my house if I tried. I really wish I had saved a few from when I was growing up.

Small Radios Big Televisions is made by Fire Face and published by Adult Swim Games. It’s actually a full game borne from a prototype that we spoke on a while back, which John quite enjoyed. I’m hoping I get the same vibe from it, especially since the allure of revisiting things that were once recorded on old, decrepit cassette tapes seems like a great way to spend the weekend.

Small Radios Big Televisions is expected out on Steam on November 8th. You can still play an old dev build from 2014 in your browser, though of course the game may have changed a fair bit since then.

From this site

1. JFS says:

Creeps ‘n Chillwave: The Game? Looks good.

2. Starland Vocal Band says:

Useless fact: Dr. Leekie from Orphan Black was the original Max Headroom (Matt Frewer).

3. ButteringSundays says:

“It also kind of annoys me that there’s no comma between “radios” and “big” in the title”

For a publication that insists on using camelly title-case Because Who Needs Proper Nouns, Only Every Title References A Name I consider this stones in glass houses.

yhancik says:

Maybe “small radios” is a noun modifier? (or whatever it’s exactly called, i’m not a native speaker). They’re the big televisions of small radios. Imagine how big “big radios big televisions” must be.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Also the relatively recent Rock, Paper, Shotgun logo update removed the commas, which still bugs me. Sound of glass shattering.

• Kefren says:

And RPS articles where they TALK a subject (rather than DISCUSS it, or TALK ABOUT it).

• Kefren says:

PS I’m fine with capitalising every word of the article headers – I find it easier to read. Sentence case would be wrong, Camel Case in a trademark-birthed abomination, and what is usually called Title Case is a mess of inconsistencies about which words do and don’t get capitalised. The RPS approach to article titles sidesteps all those issues.

• Kefren says:

P.P.S. The format RPS uses for titles is called Start Case.

Comment on this story