What Are We All Playing This Weekend

I see Team RPS have been sending me e-mails ‘detailing their weekend gaming plans’. Nice try, jerks. You won’t get me that easily. I know that spookings are lurking around every corner this time of year, in every reflection, behind every door, in every e-mail, and I’m not going to fall for it. No, I refuse to open these. Instead, I shall tell you how I imagine they would respond if I were to ask them what they were playing this weekend. You can tell me what you’re playing too but of course I won’t read it. I know your tricks.

Adam: [Adam is ill, which means he is fired but we’ll send him some flowers.]
Alec: I am not playing Civilization VI I am not playing Civilization VI I am not playing Civilization VI I am not playing Civilization VI I am not playing Civilization VI I am not playing Civilization VII am not playing Civilization VII am not playing Civilization VI oh alright I’m playing Civilization VI.
Alice: I mean, sure, I do have Civilization VI waiting, like the rest of these louts, but I think I’ll hold off this weekend. I need to catch up on huge amounts of sleeping and do not want to discover I’ve accidentally onemoreturned my way through the night. Instead, I’ll play Thumper and be left too buzzed to sleep. Oh! Or Shadow Warrior 2.
Brendan: [Brendan is fired.]
Graham: This weekend if I play anything it will be Civilization VI. I’ve played a bit already and it’s nice just to look at, which will make me persevere through those early turns which I find slightly boring in all Civ games, including this one.

Of course, having said this I will now almost certainly play something else entirely. This is the rule of WAPYPWTT.

John: It seems Rusty Lake: Roots is a lot bigger than I was expecting, so it’s going to stretch over into my weekend. I would also really like to play some Destiny, as I never have, but I think the chances of my finding time are quite slim.

However, weekend highlight: tomorrow morning I’m going to see Hey Duggee and other awesome kids shows at the cinema! BEAT THAT.

Philippa: This weekend I’m playing the next bit of Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower and getting a haircut. I appreciate that isn’t the most exciting set of plans if you’re into neither haircuts nor Warhammer but I could try to combine them. Perhaps I could get my hair cut to co-ordinate with my Skink Starpriest somehow?

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

From this site

1. Agnosticus says:

Shadow Warrior 2: Gonna tackle the insane difficulty.

Red Orchestra 2: you know why… (it’s great!)

Some Flat Heroes with my gf, GTA V maybe and pondering about if I’d be happy with a BF1 purchase.

Aitrus says:

Overwatch… Rocket League… Fallout 4… Where is my life headed?

3. Spacewalk says:

I’m going through all of the Lucasarts adventures games that I own in release order.

4. Fomorian1988 says:

I’m going to finally play Oxenfree. It’s been sitting in my library for a while now, taunting, and I really want to dive in.

Other than that, a little Overwatch, Fallen London and starting a new game of “watching the new Black Mirror season an episode a week, because I love this series, but if I binge it I’ll be emotionally drained for the rest of the year”.

caff says:

Oxenfree is great – I had it sitting in my Steam wishlist for months (after Pip’s glowing review) and only picked it up in a sale. After completing it in one sitting I instantly regretted not buying it sooner. It’s one of those games that delivers so much more than you expect.

• Daymare says:

I’ve only recently started it! (Same here with the sale.) I’m not into it yet at all, hopefully that’ll change.

I’ll also play some LoL (might attempt /vl 100 Doom Bots Gauntlet) and probably try getting past Boss 3-12 in THUMPER.

5. Pogs says:

Stellaris and The Division

Not Civ 6. Can we do a WhatAreWeAllNotPlaying? Its just Civ (again)

• cofeeboy says:

Yesterday The Division was on sale for $15 on Amazon. I should get it. I hear the new update dropping is set to fix and revamp many things, and for better or worse it’s still a change for the game.

caff says:

After partying hard last night my brain is only really capable of intaking basic things. Battlefield 1 for me. I haven’t really played a Battlefield game since BF2. If I get bored or shot too much thanks to my poor reaction times, I’ll inevitably drift over to Rocket League, or maybe a bit more Dying Light which is a lot bigger than I expected.

7. PancakeWizard says:

I’m replaying Doom 3 (BFG edition) after many years and…it’s just not very good is it? Still dark to the point it’s unplayable in the daytime, and apart from the plasma rifle and BFG the guns just feel rubbish. The monster design compared to the original is also a step back (rectified somewhat in the newer Doom from what I’ve seen). I mean what the fuck did they do to the Cacodemon?

Quake 4 is actually a better game (and a worthy Quake 2 sequel), and I regularly return to that when I want some hoo-rah action with solid gunplay (vehicle sections not withstanding).

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Agreed. I also gave it a second chance a few years after its release and I hated it with a fiery passion (again).
      Its main problem is how impossible it is to reconcile the FPS elements with the clumsy attempts at horror: excessive darkness, enemies spawning without any warning and going “BOO!” and an overall serious tone.
      It’s the kind of disempowerment that could create tension in a horror game but ends up being an annoyance in a shooter. You CAN make a tense, scary shooter (Stalker) but that was not the way to go.

SO glad id learned the lesson. DOOM 2016 is awesome.

• Catterbatter says:

Is BFG Edition worth it for the new Doom 2 WAD? I mean at sale price…

Good to know about Quake 4. I’d heard nothing good about it, but I love Quake 2, so I might finally give it a shot.

• PancakeWizard says:

I’ve not tried the new WAD.

As for Quake 4, do try it! It’s more than a little influenced by Halo, but it’s got that Stroggy feeling. It’s also huge.

• Geebs says:

If you’re not enjoying the guns in Doom3, I submit that you’re just not standing close enough to your target when using the shotgun. A bit closer…. a bit closer…. closer still……right…….there.

Protip: if you have recently played and enjoyed Quake 4, do not under any circumstances go back and play Quake 2, or listen to its awesome soundtrack. Play some other 6/10 Raven game like Soldier of Fortune 2, and be content.

• stringerdell says:

Doom 3 shotgun is so anemic compared to the ones you get in the older games, it really put me off the first time round. Not a bad game I didnt think but it doesnt play anything like the classic titles

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I played Doom 3 BFG a few years ago when it first came out on PS3 and I have to say I did enjoy it quite a bit. I think that had more to do with the fact that shooters of that type weren’t exactly common on PS3. This was during the dark years when only military shooters were being released.

I remember liking the multiplayer as it was the closest thing to an arena shooter available. I was also good at it because everyone was running around trying to play CoD it seemed.

• Unsheep says:

Doom 3 was good but very different from the other Doom games, it plays more like a horror FPS than a twitch-shooter. So it’s a vastly different experience.

particlese says:

ESO’s lousy* Halloween thing has caused people to congregate around dungeon bosses, farming their holiday loot bins and standing around being silly. So that’s more fun to be had, despite myself. There will also be some more Devil Daggers, plus some VR since I haven’t donned the Skimask Oscuro in a while. Serious Sam’s at the top of that queue, thanks to RPS.

*I generally don’t like real world derived holidays in my RPGs, although I do enjoy the occasional oddball date hook in other games, such as ROTT’S Christmas loading screen and level music, and I guess Guild Wars did some amusing April 1st things…

particlese says:

Instead of any of that, I went and played a user-made Doom ’93 level for 2 hours. It’s that “Foursite” one RPS linked to a few days ago, and it is amazing. I had to cheat through a couple bits mainly due to impatience, but if anyone else is at all interested, they should just go ahead and play it.

9. Morph says:

Both Witcher 3 expansions are finally on sale on Steam so I waiting for them to download (stupid slow internet). Meanwhile got back into Hard West which I played half of ages ago before getting distracted.

10. Vandelay says:

There is only Civ.

Andy_Panthro says:

Mostly Civilisation VI, although I may try and finish Star Trek 25th Anniversary.

12. blind_boy_grunt says:

Well, after googling the skink starpriest, it would be a shame if pip didn’t get jamaican flag colored dreadlocks.
    I’m trying to get into star ruler 2, it does a lot of interesting things, but i’m not sure about the atmosphere, it’s more like space bureaucrat than emperor.
    Also i started reading the prompts of neo scavenger, which means i don’t die of hypothermia after a couple of rounds. Who knew scavenging is good for something? But it’s one of those games that really don’t care about your time. 2 screens to use a sleeping-bag, and assembling and disassembling my makeshift tent is so much work. Yet, somehow, that is part of the atmosphere.

13. feverberries says:

I think the rest of the crew who are not playing Civ6 should be fired too.

Jekadu says:

WoW and Sorcery! Part 4, most likely. Maybe some Zubmariner. I’m heading home from Sweden Game Conference and need to catch up on some school work, too. It all comes down to whether I got conference flu (ConFlue-ence?) or not.

15. Chaoslord AJ says:

Think I’ll wait for Civ 6 GOTY like they did with Civ 5.
    This weekend will be Witcher 3 grinding for the last few achievements and checking out some more Minecraft modpacks.

16. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Dark Souls 3 for me. Am in deep after my first week with it. I’ve had mixed reactions so far, very much ‘more of the same’ and the way the levels just attach on to the end of each other is a bit Dark Souls 2sy, even more so than Bloodborne I feel. There’s a lot less verticality. That said it’s still a lot of fun and those individual levels (the boring, horribly textured swampy bit at the end of the Road of Sacrifices not withstanding) are all superbly twisting, trap-laden, nogging-noodling delights.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

There are some cool bits in that swamp though. There are a couple of NPCs to fight who are absolute BASTARDS (though if you cheese one of them enough you can pull him away from his buddy, making them way more manageable). Also pretty much the best one handed sword in the game is in that area. I can tell you where it is if you want the spoiler.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Thanks, but I’m trying to stay spoiler free. I met those guys (and died!) planning to return when I’m a bit better, but even they felt a bit plonked in the middle of this great big room that had swamp assets. It doesn’t feel like a natural location, unlike the wooded areas in Bloodborne and DS1.

Still great though, and yeah perhaps I need to explore that area further, I just got a gem after beating an old friend, said NOPE to some massive crabs and moved on.

• fish99 says:

Glad I’m not the only one who noticed how half-assed that section looked. Also one of the branches from the first swamp has another poor looking area.

I also didn’t like the lack of cohesion in the world. The game has some great stuff in it, but a lot of it felt just stuck together for no reason, or reused from previous games. Bloodborne on the other hand, everything felt like it was made for Bloodborne, and the boss desgins were phenomenal.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Yeah, completely agree. It still has those ‘oh cool’ moments when you find a viewpoint and see the area you started at above you and the one you just fought through below, but it’s all fairly spaced out on a flat map rather than Bloodborne’s incredible 3D city. Some of the travel between, via warps, is a lot less satisfying too.

We were spoiled with DS1 and Bloodborne in that regard.

• Kingseeker Camargo says:

Do yourself a favour and stop teleporting right now. It was a terrible idea having teleporting available from the get go and on every bonfire. It ruins the pleasure of navigating the world. I’m doing a limited teleporting run (only can go back to the shrine from the very first bonfire, plus a few other teleport I’m forced to do, but only to the immediately next bonfire), and it’s the most fun I’ve had in three playthroughs back to back.

The swamp is still a massive ball-drop, mind, but there are enough shortcuts to pass out by in seconds, and some other places -especially the settlement- are a beauty to revisit and find new ways to navigate through.

Plus there are lots of unexpected emerging situations (don’t wanna spoil, but one thing you can do is getting certain mobs to attack each others, there’s quite a bit of hostility between enemies in this game), and having to make such trips carrying the booty of a boss fight adds some nice tension (ring of sacrifice becomes a thing again!).

17. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Also: It’s too soon to talk about Halloween, sorry. It’s a day, since when did it become a week/month of Halloween references. You’ll be doing Christmas next week! Gah.

• Daymare says:

For me? Ever since I read Bradbury’s “The October Country” collection of short stories.

But as far as I’m aware the internet has been taking a liking to the weeks before Halloween for a while now. Some Horror games being released around that time, Halloween-themed MMO events, scary-shouty Let’s Plays and the like, no?

particlese says:

US retail has been doing this for years, and it’s been getting more absurd over time. And in the specific case of Halloween, I’m already seeing small displays of Christmas-themed candy popping up in a country which cares about neither Halloween nor Thanksgiving. Yay consumerism. (It makes some sense since they need to sell stuff ahead of time, but…)

General enthusiasm, though? I’ve a worthless rant behind this, but my basic hunch is that people get bored of the everyday more easily these days, so they have to theme everything. Or something and stuff. I don’t really get it.

18. LennyLeonardUK says:

Civ 6 (obviously), Battlefield 1 and I’ll also try and continue my most recent run through of Bioshock Infinite.

If I have any more time I’ll probably try and fit in a little XCOM 2 as well.

Great times.

19. Grobmotoriker says:

After I´ve read your Battlefield Bad Company 2 Article from Thursday, I had to reinstall BC2 immediatly and played the Campaign the whole night. Thanks for that, I had lots of fun.
    But what do I play this night? mhmm… Bioshock remastered maybe, or better Red Faction cause I´ve tasted the joy of destruction again^^

20. Hebrind says:

Stellaris, Civ VI and Company of Heroes 2 with my dad, because it’s his favourite.

21. TheAngriestHobo says:

Another one for Stellaris here; I just picked up Leviathans and I’m eager to see how it changes the late game. I currently have a thriving nation of adorable, bug-eyed lizard people with two strong neighbours who share my values to the letter, as well as a weak, militaristic neighbour that no one will mind me invading. Things are going well.

22. Mandrake42 says:

Oxenfree, I haven’t replayed it since they added that free DLC so I’m checking out what’s different (And picking up the mutually exclusive achievements I missed first time around)

23. C0llic says:

Civ VI of course. It’s really good !

24. Brinx says:

The Football Manager 17 beta. I’m getting the new one every two years. Didn’t encounter any bugs so far and having a good time with the great many talent Dortmund brought in this season.

Also board games tonight with some friends. However, I was out yesterday already and drinking two nights in a row is getting increasingly hard. I’m getting old…

25. Silverchain says:

Overwatch, Elite, and working my way through each different faction in Endless Legend playing fifty or so turns before becoming frustrated with them and changing. It’s so pretty and I really want to like it, but I just can’t stick with it long enough.

• Creeping Death says:

RE: Endless Legend. Try the Necrophage! Have fun eating your enemies and shitting out their remains as new troops, going beyond the army size limit of any other faction in the game.

26. Sorbicol says:

Stellaris. The Leviathans pack was enough to get me back into the game, which has so far mostly consisted of me making a right hash of things at the start having completely forgotten how to play it. Restart tonight. It was a much cheaper option than buying Civ VI. This whole £50 for an AA title release is really starting to bug me. Finally got me out of pre-ordering stuff though.

• Monggerel says:

I was so amped to buy Stellaris… then I remembered it’s a Paradox Grand Strategy. A Pagragy, if you will. You need to wait about 3 years before they’re proper good, and that’s kinda the impression I got with this one too.

I do want to lay the entire smackdown of a space navy upon Cthulhu tho.

27. Geebs says:

Everspace. I have probably managed to achieve the most pointless-but-Scrooge-McDuck-like death possible: accidentally pressing the button to turn on my enhanced boost doodad while hovering above a crate full of loot and instantly smearing myself into a thin paste on the bottom of it. I was on a record-breaking run, too.

By the way it’s dead good if you like Descent, but in a series of gorgeous Homeworld-esque ship graveyards/asteroid fields.

28. fish99 says:

Played Event[0] this week, which took me 4 hrs since I got stuck a few times and then spent a lot of time looking for other solutions at the end. The AI interaction was done pretty well I thought. The game borrows a lot from 2001, but it’s pretty good I’d say.

Also started BF1 campaign and did the tank mission. From what I read the SP goes downhill after that, so I might hit up the MP later today. I’d also like to give Overwatch and R6:Seige a go sometime since I own them.

Dark Souls 3 DLC on monday night. Will be playing.

29. A Wanderer says:

I don’t know if it really qualifies as a game, but anyway, I’m playing the little marvel that is called Space Engine, a wondrous planetarium/exploration game/procedural-ish/thing that is free and developped by one person.
    It’s absolutely amazing ; basically what NMS should have been.

30. Monggerel says:

Overwatch as Widowmaker. Snipin’s a good job, mate – a shame I lost much of my many years of TF 2 and CS practice. Trying to get back into the groove. The good thing about sniping, aside from not going hungry, is that even mediocre successes are exhilarating – and a really good enemy sniper is *the* single most demoralizing element for any team. Not much compares with tilting somebody so hard they give up on even trying to grab the objective.

I suppose part of the reason for this is the common perception that sniping is extremely difficult (it is), and thus when somebody proves themselves to be a great sniper, it is a very clear and unambiguous display of prowess (at point and click adventures). It’s really quite upsetting to know that the other guy is *objectively* much better than you.

31. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

All right, fine, there’s nothing I want on sale so I put my money where my mouth is and bought Shadow Warrior 2 full price. Now there’s a Wang where my mouth is. This is a dick joke.

AutonomyLost says:

I beat Gears of War 4 last night, without intending to necessarily. What a perfect Gears game; it’s predictable, grandiose, difficult enough to feel rewarding at times (on hardcore — still gonna tackle what comes after), looks stunning, plays perfectly, and is plain fun.

So, with that being the case, I’ll be playing Battlefield 1 and XCOM 2 most likely. Have fun over the weekend, everyone.

33. zsd says:

Still noodling through Bionic Dues for a while.

My process for Arcen games:
    1) Hear about game, think “Oh, that sounds pretty cool.”
    2) Buy game and play for about 20 minutes until jankiness becomes intolerable.
    3) Let game languish in library for approximately one year.
    4) Try game again after having forgotten what made it so bad.
    4a) Bounce off game once more, feel annoyance at self for being fooled again. Return to step 3.
    4b) Soldier through bad stuff to find an entertaining game underneath.

Bionic Dues is the only game that has made it to 4b so far.

• Kaeoschassis says:

It’s funny you should say that. Bionic Dues STILL holds the record for the fastest I have ever gone from discovering a game exists, to playing the demo (YAY DEMOS), to buying the full thing (less than 24 hours, and I don’t impulse buy as a rule). One of the Soldak titles has second place, I forget which one.

I don’t really see the jankiness of which you speak in Bionic Dues? Especially now that they’ve cleaned up some of the clutter in the equip screens and stuff. Its gameplay is… weird, to the point of being a little offputting if you go into it expecting an ordinary turn-based roguelike or loot-heavy rpg or whatever, but everything works. Really well. The game provides a huge amount of easily accessible information, it’s easy to learn what everything does, it controls very simply and cleanly. I wonder if you could elaborate on what your problem was with it?

Either way, glad you overcame it, because it’s a heck of a game. I’ve been through several complete campaigns and I’m itching to go again.

• zsd says:

The main thing is the writing. It is godawful. I know that seems like a strange thing to complain about in a game about shooting robots, but it’s everywhere. It’s tired jokes falling flat on their faces in every tooltip, robot bark and unhelpfully-named piece of loot. It feels like a developer constantly elbowing me in the ribs bellowing “SEE WHAT I DID THERE?” while I’m just trying to play the game.

And that’s a shame, because once you get past that, the gameplay loop of doing missions and agonizing over doodads while monitoring the robot threat is pretty fun.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I guess our tastes differ. I should point out that they long ago defaulted the flavour text in the equipment tooltips to hidden, so those are hardly in the way, and while most bot and trap tooltips still have some attempt at humour attached to them, they’re pretty much all one line or less. As for the bot quotes, pretty sure those are on their own volume slider, so you can nuke those too if you so wish. I wouldn’t personally, but yeah, if that’s the only part of the game that’s bugging you it’s easily fixed. As you said, definitely worth it.

• MondSemmel says:

I absolutely loved Bionic Dues. (Except for some of the inventory clutter mentioned above.) It’s just a really clever combination of roguelike and puzzle game.

I’m not surprised you bounced off of other Arcen titles, though; I had a similar experience. With AI War, I had enough time / patience to overcome the ridiculous learning curve and ended up absolutely enthralled by it, but nowadays I probably wouldn’t have that patience anymore. I really didn’t like Shattered Haven or Tidalis. I also played Starward Rogue for quite a while but ultimately decided I didn’t particularly enjoy it.

That said, and while I haven’t tried Arcen’s remaining games, I’m completely fine with this quota. They make more commercial games than the vast majority of indie devs out there; and their games are always unique in some way. Not consistently good, but always unique. That resulting variance means they have several games in their catalogue which I disliked, but also several I loved (AI War + all expansions; Bionic Dues).

Incidentally, they’re currently running a Kickstarter for AI War II here. Their priorities very much include improving its usability, interface, and learning curve, areas in which the original was severely lacking.

• Sin Vega says:

I think the key with most Arcen games is to throw yourself into them and not worry so much about whether you’re going to win or get anywhere, or even understand what’s going on. That’s a difficult thing to do if, like me, you play strategy games very cautiously. Skyward Collapse (the ‘greeks vs vikings’ one) and Last Federation are particularly like this – they’re at their best when you lurch from crisis to crisis, desperately trying to get things under control again.

Bionic Dues, however, is an odd one because it does the same thing on the strategic level, but within each mission, you really need to take things slowly and carefully and figure out how all the various abilities and systems and robots will interact in a given situation. I think it’s one of their best games, but it also requires a particular approach that a lot of players (including me) will find tricky to adjust to.

• Kaeoschassis says:

See, that was my main problem with Last Federation. I love it, but my first few times I had serious trouble getting into it cuz I spent so much time deliberating over every little decision, trying to micro-manage everything, and… getting nowhere, honestly. It was taking forever for anything interesting to ever happen. Once I managed to chill out a little and just enjoy shooting things and poking stuff just to see what would happen it improved immensely.

Absolutely agree that Bionic Dues is amongst their best, especially for somebody like me who’s just never had enough time all at once to sit down and really get much out of AI War.

• bonuswavepilot says:

On the subject of which, they have just changed some reward tiers to also include a copy of Bionic Dues. You get both it and Skyward Collapse at any tier $25 or above I believe. Announcement hither.

Lars Westergren says:

I finished Grim Fandango Remastered this week, now I suddenly feld like getting really in-depth into Age of Decadence.

A little Pillars of Eternity, a little Dota 2.

Lars Westergren says:

I still love Grim Fandango. The art, music and writing are just fantastic, some puzzles are good. But I was also reminded how poor many of the puzzles are in that you get very few hints so you have to guess the backwards adventure-game logic, there are tiny pixel-hunting areas to click that aren’t shown, or that suddenly timing of your actions matters where mostly they don’t. Examples: the flaming beavers, getting Glottis out of the high-roller lounge, getting past the octopus, getting out of the Rubucava elevator, opening the safe door at the end of the world, how to operate the “snow machine”…

35. Orix says:

Well done John, you earnt your going to the cinema with your children badge. Yay! Now there’s time for one last thing…

I’ve been playing The Wolf Among Us, and they said Dragon Age 2 reused the same maps to much… neat story though.

Glad the Roots prequel is meaty, will have to get it condidering price.

Also dabbled in Ahnayro which is a fun little ARG puzzler, learning all sorts while trying to figure out stuff, e.g. I had no idea Ellis Island had served as a hospital. Sure can be hard though, where would we be without Wikipedia?

36. Kaeoschassis says:

In an effort to prevent myself from just spending the whole of LAST weekend locked in useless indecision, I indeed went back to Battle for Wesnoth. I’ve been playing that in little chunks most of this last week, and it indeed remains a great fantasy wargame (strongly reminds me of the old Fantasy General, anybody else remember that?), and a shining example of open-source, community driven projects done right. It’s also frustrating as hell sometimes…

Not sure what I’ll be playing in-between, now that it’s the weekend again. I’ve been doing little bits of musing about my next Dominions 4 game, but learning a new nation is always such a daunting thing so I haven’t even picked one yet. If I do, my weekend will basically vanish.

I’ve also got back to Sword of the Stars: The Pit for… some reason. I keep finding myself trying it again, really wanting to like it. I had this exact same problem with Dungeons of Dredmor, it seems to be well loved, and it’s got all sorts of great ideas and a good soul behind it, but the actual gameplay (as someone who plays a lot of roguelikes, mind you) feels too easy and pointlessly grindy early on, and then entirely up to the whims of the rng later. Can’t help but feel like I’m missing something in both instances.

Anyway, all of this aside, I’m probably just going to be seized by indecision for several hours and then go play Doom. Obviously.

teije says:

Kudos for mentioning Battle for Wesnoth and Fantasy General. Wesnoth been playing off and on for so many years, what a gem.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Until I played Wesnoth for the first time a few years back I honestly thought Fantasy General had been some kind of fever-dream. I remembered it so vaguely (but fondly) that I had convinced myself I’d made it up. Almost the moment I got into Wesnoth, I knew FG was one of the things it was drawing heavily from, and that led to me eventually finding it on GOG and putting that mystery to rest. What a relief it was to know I hadn’t imagined the whole thing.

37. Mi-24 says:

finally gave in to the pressure and got witcher 3 on sale. I had resisted for so long because i really bounced off the 2nd, but is pretty good so far. Given I’m at uni I’m not sure I’ll ever have the time to do too large a percentage of all it offers. The only irritating aspect so far is how much the ‘call horse’ function pales in comparison to MGSV. Pretty though

38. michelangelo says:

There is no time really, so System Shock 2 revisiting gotta wait. But I was reading somewhere, something (rumors perhaps) about next Assassin’s Creed from team, which is responsible for Black Flag. It’s supposed to be in arabic world, with sea available for sailing(!). So I sailed back into Black Flag waters. It still feels and looks just awesome.

What I honestly hope for, is that they will cut off (or eliminate greatly) assassin’s theme bullshit. It’s literally worst part of whole series. It pretty much did work only at the origin. But from all sequels, yet for many more reasons as well, I was able to play and enjoy just Black Flag (where sailing and piracy overweighted that promile of assassins dumb brute forced story part) and French Revolution, which I was playing entirely in french (and I dont speak french). That made me fill and transpose, for sure birdbrained standard of assassin’s plot, by my own interpretation. And in gorgeously detailed and alive Paris, with actual need to be a sneaky thief was fun to roam around for a while!

PS—There is a huge thumb up for Assassins Creed standard of being able turn off UI entirely. So important part of immersion for a player of my kind.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I finished Shadow Warrior 2 so I have moved on to GoNNER. Please insert Chilliwack remix at your leisure.

I might try some SW2 online. Has anyone given it a go? I have this feeling it is going to be 4 people using swords with a Force Slash effect killing every in a matter of milliseconds. How does the game handle difficulty increases?

adias says:

I’m going through Shadowrun: HK. Loved the other ones and liking this one too. I was always a FPS-kinda person until i discovered turn-based combat which is also up my alley.

• preshrunk_cyberpunk says:

I’m a big fan of all the Shadowrun games and Hong Kong is no exception.

….but I could be biased ;)

AutonomyLost says:

I have Shadowrun: Hong Kong on the computer, and began its campaign about a year ago, but haven’t progressed beyond maybe the two-hour mark. I liked it a lot, and still have it installed in fact, though I have been side-tracked by so many other games.

Also, this past week I downloaded Dragonfall on my Galaxy Tab S2. Played for about an hour and enjoyed it; I can see myself turning to that if I’d like to game without sitting in front of the ol’ desktop.

Which campaign did you prefer most, of the two?

41. malkav11 says:

Still thoroughly ensnared by Legion (the latest WoW expansion, that is). I’ve finally unlocked World Quests, and heroic (and I think probably mythic) dungeons and Raid Finder, finished my class hall campaign, and followed Illidan’s backstory (to one of the best quests in the game, where you pilot Illidan in the Black Temple raid encounter against a hilarious NPC raid team). The world quest emissary system and my need to grind up reputations to someday maybe get to fly again (but haha, even if my interest doesn’t run out before I complete part one of Broken Isles Pathfinder, I’m sure part two will involve some abusively awful nonsense like the Draenor one did and I’ll never get there) have kept me logging in and moderately entertained every day this week, a sharp contrast to the once a week binge I was doing up to that point. But this weekend…I think once I finally finish questing in Suramar (thus attaining Loremaster of the Legion quests), which will probably be today, I may feel like I can finally pop back to older content and farm some of those mounts I still crave. We’ll see.

Also planning to do some dungeon farming in Hex: Shards of Fate for my shiny holiday event cards/equipment. They’ve apparently boosted the gold rewards from campaign content and made it possible to spend gold on AZ1 packs as well, so that will help (and mean I don’t necessarily have to farm the Frost Ring Arena for all my gold, although I still will off and on because there are different drops and you can run unrestricted deck builds).

If there’s room beyond that…maybe some Dragon Age Inquisition or Pillars of Eternity, both on my “finish someday” agenda. Though Pillars is starting to feel a bit more urgent with Tyranny looming. After all, the next Bioware RPG won’t be out until next year…

• malkav11 says:

I vastly underestimated the amount of questing to be done in Suramar. You know, this expansion may only have five zones versus the seven to eight of past expansions, but I feel like Suramar has at least twice as many quests as any single zone before. And I guess they’re adding more in 7.1.

42. Zenicetus says:

Mostly Stellaris, checking out all the new changes in the Heinlein patch, trying to keep my head down from space monsters.

Also some Divinity Original Sin in co-op with my wife. We’re level 20 now and getting near the end. It’s so much better in co-op than the time I tried it in singleplayer and bounced off it. The writing still stinks, but the battle mechanics are great fun.

teije says:

Stellaris for me, and a bit of Sunless Sea with the Zubmariner DLC. So far liking the balance and QoL changes in Stellaris, but haven’t gotten to the mid-game yet – that’ll be the test if the improvements are major to that area.

44. ButteringSundays says:

I must say the civ format doesn’t appeal to me the way it used to, since discovering CKII. My couple hundred hours spread over 4 and 5 feel enough for me, I don’t really crave more. Especially at £50 (lol wat).

My original plan was to play through all the classic dooms – but like most gaming plans that isn’t panning out.

It’s looking like:

– Ultimate Doom
    – beamng drive
    – Witcher 2 (only a couple quid at the mo, giving the series a spin)
    – Stardew Valley

But only time can tell.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I honestly feel like Ultimate Doom was the highlight of the classic games level-design-wise anyway. Mostly I play user-created stuff nowadays and Doom 2’s new bestiary and the addition of the SSG add a lot to that, but as for its actual iwad, I can’t remember the last time I managed to get through the whole thing without getting bored and wandering off to do something else.

45. parsley says:

Still working my way through the submissions for IFComp — I really want to try and finish them all before rating them.

46. liquidsoap89 says:

I just got the expansions for The Witcher 3, so mostly those. Civ 6 is going to wait until those are finished dammit!

Oh, and obviously Rocket League. Always Rocket League.

47. preshrunk_cyberpunk says:

I’ll most likely be healing my fellow nerds in WoW and then playing Path of Exile later. Or vice versa.

Its possible I may even go outside.

48. Cyrus says:

Divinty: Original Sin since more than a month, think I’m approaching the end soon. After some 75-ish hours..Good times though!

49. kud13 says:

I need to finish the epilogue campaing “Shadows of Hong Kong” for Shadowrun HK. Already did the 2 optional runs, so now I get to see if there’s only one “main” run, or if there’s more story after it.

Then I’ll try to bang my head against The Longest Journey some more. Then I’ll probably go look for a guide.

I also have The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine un-finished. I walked away after being presented with a choice where I feel the best solution is not to play, as either option will leave me emotionally devastated. I invested too much time into that world, and I don’t want to face the traditional Witcher-esque consequence to a decision of this magnitude. I’d rather press “pause” for a long time.

50. cvaldivia93 says:

Finishing The Talos Principle. Love love love this game.

Comment on this story